Where Joy and Sorrow meet

BLAMELESS

Hirai Momo’s Point of View

 

The recent events that have happened with Nayeon unnie have definitely shaken everyone to the core. At first, we all thought it wasn’t that serious. After all, what are the chances of her having an insane stalker, right? 


 

But no.  


 

Of all people in the world, this really had to happen to her. Not only was she shaken for days, she wasn’t really the same the night after our outing. It was like a turning point not only for her but also for us. Nothing was the same then, everyone acted with caution. We always went outside of our dormitories with company, we just know that walking out alone is a bad idea. We don’t know what his train of thought is.  

 

Things somehow started to become gloomy, it wasn’t the same. We didn’t gather as much after, and whenever do gather it’s usually quick and things aren’t the same. I wasn’t really as aware as the other girls. Of course, I also thought that asking would be really rude and insensitive. Basically, I knew about the whole situation through my dorm mates. At first, I thought it was really unbelievable. I mean, who stalks physically these days? Don’t people utilize the internet? Don’t get me wrong, I am not advocating people to stalk using the internet. 


 

Jung Min Woo is a ing Idiot. I hope he burns in hell. 


 

But just when things seemed to have gone back to normal, he strikes again. This time, he just escalated his taunting method. A person like him shouldn’t be allowed to be with society. In fact, that is a danger to society. But for some reason, he gets away everytime. I have to be honest, I’ve always thought that things have been back to normal. I’ve always thought that maybe Jung Min Woo has given up. I mean, it’s been months since we’ve heard anything from him. But I guess, predators don’t rest. Right? That ing animal. 

 

Last night was the last straw. I couldn’t believe that ing monster really had to go that hard. I wasn’t expecting him to be this hardcore. At first I thought he’s just a weirdo who has obsession issues, but I guess he is more than that. 

 

That bastard slaughtered an innocent cat as a threat. An Innocent cat. That was the confirmation that he’s willing to do almost anything just to get to Nayeon unnie. This isn’t right anymore. Everything’s falling apart, I can feel it. This isn’t how Nayeon unnie should live her life. No, this isn’t how someone should live their life. This is preposterous. This is insane. This has to stop. 

 

“Do you guys want something from Mickey D’s?” Jihyo is the one driving, she seemed careful though. She probably doesn’t want to ruin the mood in the car. I awkwardly wait for anyone to talk. 

 

Everyone was quiet, we have been for hours now since we left Seoul. We haven’t been this quiet in a while. The lack of sound, it’s deafening. I am seated right beside Jihyo, Nayeon and Jeongyeon seated at the back together. They usually quarrel, but this time, due to the severity of the situation, no one dares to crack a joke. No one.

 

“Are you guys hungry? You guys should eat.” Encourages Nayeon, I look at her through the rear view mirror. Her under eyes look a little discolored, she probably hasn’t slept at all. She sounded a little off too, her voice was weak. 

 

“What about you?” I ask her, genuinely concerned with how withdrawn she’s become, it’s quite disheartening to see her become like this. This is not how a girl in her early 20s should live. She’s suffering so much. 

 

“I’ll just sleep here. I’m too tired.” She sounded really weak. I turned my gaze to Jihyo, she gave me a look. A look that suggested that she felt really sorry for Nayeon. I just sigh, not sure how to respond to what Nayeon unnie said. I wish I could comfort her, but wishing won’t do anything for her. 

 

“I’m not hungry. I’ll just sleep here too.” Replies Jeongyeon nonchalantly. I just look at them through the rear view mirror and see that Jeong’s just staring at Nayeon. Nayeon isn’t looking back at her. Nayeon just closed her eyes, resting her head on the seat’s head support. “If you guys want to eat, you guys can go ahead.” Says Jeongyeon with finality in her voice. 

 

“You can go ahead and eat with them.” Says Nayeon unnie to Jeongyeon. She’s still not opening her eyes as she says this. 

 

“No. I’m not hungry.” replies Jeongyeon. Why are they talking as if they’re the only ones in the car? The .

 

“No. We’re not hungry. Right, Momo?” Asks Jihyo, obviously wanting me to agree. I just nod, my appetite has gone down since last night. Min Woo, figuratively. 

 

These past few weeks haven’t been easy, the fact that we never anticipated for such a thing to transpire means that what happened last night is something unimaginable. But whatever, no matter how messy things will get, I’ll be beside Nayeon unnie. I’ll go through all this with her, at any cost. 

 

The remaining time we drove to our destination, the silence was just deafening. It wished things didn’t have to be this way, but what can I do? Some things just can’t be helped and that is the reason why we’re doing this. This is for Nayeon unnie’s own good. Nayeon unnie was against the idea herself but everyone insisted, she ended up packing her bags with a lot of crying. This is the only answer to her problem, for now at least. 

 

Less than thirty minutes later, we arrived at our destination. We were in the countryside, a pretty secluded area actually. This place is owned by none other than Nayeon Unnie’s grandmother. The old lady had a house which overlooked the beach. Like the baby parrot that I am,  I was really amazed. The place looked amazing, it had a nice scenery. The place looked perfect, Nayeon unnie needs to be away for a while and I hope she’d be fine. 

 

The house, you’d expect it to be huge. But no, it looks just right but even from the outside I can tell it looked comforting. Homey. The exterior looked good, but still the design looked very down-to-earth. Both Nayeon and Jeongyeon went ahead first. We were greeted by an elderly woman, probably in her late 60s. Nayeon unnie hugged her and then we were introduced briefly after that. 

 

“You girls should stay for dinner, I’ll cook something nice for you guys.” Nayeon unnie’s Grandma smiled, ah, it’s so weird how much Nayeon unnie resembles her. Same face shape, same smile, nose, but grandma’s hair was tied to a bun. It’s as if I was looking at Nayeon unnie but forty years older. 

 

“Ah, we’d love that Halmeoni!” Smiles Jihyo, the old lady smiled at Jihyo and ruffled her hair and told her how pretty her smile is. 

 

“Grandma, Nayeon unnie can’t cook.” I pouted, and I see the old woman chuckle as if the news isn’t something new to her. 

 

“The girl’s hopeless.” She sighs, but we all knew she was just joking. Nayeon unnie just smiled, she was seated next to Jeongyeon. This was the first time I’ve seen her smile today, but I know she isn’t fine. 

 

“She’s learning.” Chuckles Jeongyeon as she stared briefly at Nayeon. We all just chuckled. 

 

“Anyway, Nayeon-ah. Don’t you want to show your friends the beach?” Halmeoni asks Nayeon. She looked a little hesitant at first, she gave Jihyo this look. Jihyo seemed to have caught on. 

 

“That’s not necessary, Halmeoni. Momo and I would like to help you in the Kitchen.” Jihyo smiled and grabbed my hand. She’s signaling me to stand up, I just follow her lead. 

 

“Would you guys excuse us?” Asks Nayeon unnie as she gave Jeongyeon this look, as if just by looking, words already were being sent through their eyes. “Jeong wants to walk on the beach. I’ll just accompany her.” She smiles, Jeongyeon unnie, though she obviously looked taken aback, she didn’t refuse. 


 

THIRD PERSON’S POINT OF VIEW

 

Waves crashed along the seashore, it’s almost sunset. The cold breeze pierced through both Nayeon and Jeongyeon’s clothes. But they didn’t care, well, at least for now they didn’t. What’s important right now is to say goodbye and say the right parting words. They’re already steps away from the house, Nayeon wants that of course. It’s the main reason why she asked the taller girl to accompany her. It’s to be away from those women. She just needed time to be alone with Jeongyeon. 

 

“It was stuffy in there.” Nayeon chuckled. To this, Jeong smiled. She didn’t really want to say anything but it’s been weeks since their last conversation. She felt like she needed to say something. Jeongyeon just felt like she hadn't interacted with the girl for quite some time.

 

“Thanks for rescuing me.” Replies Jeong with a smile, a genuine one. To this, Nayeon smiled too. The older girl knew that Jeong felt trapped. They knew each other that way. 

 

“Come with me. I know a spot where it would be completely silent.” Says Nayeon as she reaches out for Jeong’s hand, grabbing it tightly. Jeongyeon doesn’t mind, for some reason Nayeon’s touch felt comforting. She missed it. She smiled and walked alongside the cheeky girl, their hands entwined in the process. 

 

Not more than three minutes later, they arrived at a secluded part of the beach. They both sat down and faced the beach, staring at the sky as the sun started to set. The bright yellow-orange rays hit both their eyes, but it was gentle, it was relaxing. Not harsh, nothing like that. Everything seemed nice and good, they felt at peace. 

 

“This feels nice.” Sighs Nayeon, still looking at the sky. She’s totally oblivious that Jeong has fixed her gaze on her. Jeong just stared, without a care in the world. There’s so much to say, but without courage, Jeongyeon’s thoughts will never be conveyed. At least for now. 

 

“You deserve this.” The taller girl grinned, the feeling of contentment filled her heart, looking at Nayeon made her feel good. It’s just that she’s too afraid to admit it herself. Jeongyeon tried to sit more comfortably. 

 

“Thanks for accompanying me here.” Nayeon sounded sorry, as if the act of accompanying her is something that’s bothersome. For Jeongyeon, it clearly wasn’t. For Jeongyeon, accompanying the older girl is the easiest task she could do. 

 

“Anything for you.” The taller girl smiled. The two creatures usually bickered, there hasn’t been a day when they didn’t bicker at all. But somewhere in the middle, something happened between them that changed them a little. 

 

“Ah, this feels so weird. Why aren’t we bickering again?” Chuckles Nayeon. Jeongyeon stares at the sky, she also didn’t know. All she knew was something had changed. Jeongyeon just couldn’t put her finger on it. 

 

“Do you want to quarrel with me then?” Jeongyeon asks jokingly. Nayeon stared at her, the mood between them had changed. The smile on Nayeon’s face disappeared, the girl’s face looked blank. She seemed to have gone into a trance-like state. 

 

“I’d do anything for things to return to normal.” Nayeon sounded defeated. She sounded tired. The taller girl just listened, trying to understand what Nayeon meant. It’s all Jeongyeon could do, listen. 

 

“Stop obsessing over things that you have no control over.” Replies the taller girl, not really looking Nayeon in the eye. The surroundings were silent, only the waves crashing was heard. It even felt like their heartbeats were heard. 

 

“It’s good.” Smiles Nayeon, turning her gaze to Jeongyeon. Jeong stared back, the taller girl didn’t see it but her eyes looked sad. Jeongyeon felt like it would be a long time before she would see Nayeon again. Jeongyeon felt this dread inside her, she wanted to stay here with Nayeon. “It’s good that you’re here.” Sighs Nayeon, she sounded tired.

 

“It’s good to be here.” Sighs Jeongyeon, it was the truth. She felt at ease, maybe it’s because they’re far away from Seoul.

 

There’s so much to say but with so little time in their hands, the both of them just decided to not open up something that’s been bothering them for months now. Besides, they’ve done a good job ignoring that thing for so long, what’s the point of opening the topic anyway? Both felt like they wanted to depart without a heartbreak. 

 

“Can I be honest for a second?” Asks Nayeon. Jeong just nodded, all ears to Nayeon but her gaze focused on the sea. It’s getting darker, colder even. Jeongyeon had never imagined for things to be this complicated. It all happened so fast. The heartbreak, it’s something she can’t stop. 

 

“Go shoot. I’m all ears.” Replies Jeong. 

 

“I kind of feel bad that I can’t be with you during your special day.” Says Nayeon. Jeong didn’t really understand what the other girl meant, what special day? 

 

“What?” Asked the taller girl, she was obviously confused.

 

“Your birthday. Stupid.” Huffed Nayeon, she’s obviously tired. 

 

Jeongyeon stared at Nayeon. She’s a little shaken because she didn’t expect Nayeon to answer that. In all honesty, she has completely forgotten about her upcoming birthday. She’s got a lot on her plate, work, studies, and the current situation. No, she wasn’t taken aback. But rather, she was swallowed whole by the overwhelming feeling of warmth. She never thought someone would ever think about her at this point. But Jeongyeon is wrong, someone does care and all she had to do was look. She was there, Nayeon. 

 

Jeongyeon felt this lump form inside , she was afraid that if she spoke her voice might crack. If her voice cracks, other emotions follow and then she’d just become this emotional wreck. She hates that, she really does.

 

“Ah, stupid girl.” Replies Jeong, she is trying to sound brash. She looked at Nayeon, Jeongyeon had this unimpressed look on her face. “When will you grow up, huh?” Added the taller girl, her gaze now at the sea.

 

“What is it this time?” Chuckled Nayeon, she wasn’t sure what she did to tick Jeongyeon off this time. 

 

“How could you think of such things at a time like this?” Asked Jeongyeon, who is obviously flustered at the moment. 

 

“Should I think of the possibility of me being murdered then?” The shorter girl replies sarcastically. Of course, she’s just trying to lighten up the mood a little bit. 

 

“Oh god. That wasn’t what I was trying to say!” Complains Jeongyeon, to this Nayeon just chuckled.

 

“I’m just trying to annoy you as much as possible.” Says Nayeon, she sounded sad. 

 

“This must be fun for you, huh?” Asks the taller girl. 

 

“I won’t be able to see you guys as much. And for god knows how long this thing will be.” Says Nayeon, there was something in her voice that suggested she felt a little cheated about the situation. Who wouldn't feel that way though? Being robbed of your freedom because of someone not in their right mind is beyond ridiculous. 

 

“Just hang in there.” Replies Jeong. “All of this will be over soon, I promise.” The taller girl reassures Nayeon. There was something in Jeong’s tone that made Nayeon believe her. 

 

“Thanks.” Smiles Nayeon.

 

“Sure, anything for you.” Replies Jeong. 

 

A comfortable silence followed after Jeong’s words. The waves crashing on the shoreline, the sound made both of them calm. The sky was getting darker by the minute but they didn’t mind. The cold air hit both their feet but they didn’t bother getting out of there. Instead, they just leaned on each other. They’ve been together for the longest time, as friends of course. But something happened, none of them knew when it happened exactly. 

 

Nayeon rests her head on Jeong’s shoulders, nonchalantly. 

 

“I’ll miss you. For real this time.” Whispers Nayeon. 

 

Jeongyeon has always been careful. Ever since she was a kid, she was taught to be rational about things. She’s taught to think things over and over and really evaluate her decisions. As she’s grown up, she’s realized this has helped her make good decisions. Except for one situation maybe. These past few months all she’s been doing is using her head. Too much rationalization, to be honest. Because of that she’s gotten nowhere. 

 

Jeongyeon realized that she does not need to rationalize everything. That means, she doesn’t need to rationalize her situation with her best friend. She’s always been happy but also confused. Scared of what might happen if she does give in to what she truly desires. 

 

“I’ll call you everyday.” Jeongyeon sighs as she rests her head on Nayeon’s shoulder. Both of them were staring at the sea, not sure of what was to come.





 

SON CHAEYOUNG’S POINT OF VIEW

 

Being in the meeting for the school festival is something easy for me to do. Especially now that I have mastered the art of being in an auto-pilot mode once I enter the classroom. It’s as if time automatically would pass by. I sit inside the room and then without noticing it, two hours have already passed. Isn’t this great? The skill to auto-pilot is what we need, all students need it. 

 

Nothing much happened in the meeting, the sponsorship letters were distributed and now that’s something that I have to work on. Whatever, I’ll just have to get that out of the way. All I need to do is find good sponsors and give my share for the event. Another thing about tonight, I know Mina’s meeting is held next door, and so far they’re not yet done with their thing. I guess I’ll just have to wait. My meeting with my organization finished first that’s why I am currently waiting for Mina to finish theirs. 

 

Waiting for Mina unnie is something that I don’t usually do, it’s because there is no reason to do so. Plus, it’s weird if I wait for her. I don’t think I have the right to do so. But, today I need to talk to her. It’s been days since the accident with the Cat. It’s been quite empty at home without Nayeon unnie too.

 

Since then, I haven’t seen Mina unnie around the dormitory. It’s as if Mina unnie didn’t live there. With Mina and Nayeon gone, the house has become quite empty. I’m used to the chaos and headache, but now? It’s just sad. This may sound selfish but I just wish things would be normal again. 

 

“Mina unnie.” I cornered her the moment I saw her approaching the door. I would have to say that she was quite surprised to see me there. She has her hand on her chest, which to me, meant she was taken aback. 

 

“Chaeyoung-ah.” She breathed out, exhaustingly too. She gave me this confused look and I just had to say something to break the awkward silence. 

 

“First of all, let’s get you out of that doorway.” I smiled at her and grabbed her hand, leading her to a place that wouldn’t be disturbing the other student’s exit. I guided her to the end of the hall. This part has so much more space which was better for our conversation. Like the dummy that I am, I couldn’t stop smiling. 

 

“You want to talk about something?” She asked, she says this as if she doesn’t understand why I am here right now. I nod and just stare at the people passing by, waiting for the traffic to die down. 

 

“I wish we could grab dinner.” I tell her straight to the point, no I am not asking. I am stating something that I want to do. I look at her, hoping that she would just say yes. 

 

To be honest, all of this is taxing me already. I do not know whether I’ll be able to keep up with this for that long. It’s been months and I have to admit that we’ve been very confusing to each other. I’ve been sending her signals, she’s been sending me signals or maybe not. I just don’t know what goes on anymore. 

 

“So, would that be cool? It’s just dinner, do not stress too much about it.” I tell her, hoping that she wouldn’t overreact because most of the time she would just go haywire. We’d arrange things and then she’d bail out on me. I just feel like I need to be more assertive. 

 

“Dinner? Sure. That would be cool.” She smiled. 

 

None of us had a car so of course we had to book for a cab. Plus when I laid my eyes on her, she seemed tired, from all the practicing maybe? I just needed to talk to her, I can’t afford to lay awake at night anymore with so many unanswered questions. It’s taking a toll on my daily life, I just want answers. That’s all. 

 

“So, Teal bar.” She had a mischievous smile on her face when she said this. We had just taken our seats and finished ordering. We decided to be seated in a booth to be comfortable. I just smile too, I know going to the Teal bar is old news but it's the nearest place from our dormitory. What else can I do? 

 

“Yup, Teal bar. It’s always the Teal bar when it comes to you and me.” I chuckle and just rest my chin on my hand, staring at her. She stared back too. It wasn’t awkward, it just seemed like both of us are trying to see where our moods are at. 

 

“So many memories here. For sure.” She smiled at me, she too, mirrored my actions. She rests her chin on her propped arm. She smiled at me and we just stared at each other. “Anyway, thanks for inviting me to dinner.” She smiled, effortlessly. She sounded like her usual self, voice almost too quiet that I almost had to ask her to talk louder. 

 

“Yeah, eating alone has become quite lonely lately.” I chuckle. 

 

“It’s always nice to have someone who can accompany you when doing ordinary things.” She replies as she sips from her glass of water. 

 

“What else would be the reason why I asked you?” I reply, as I feel the last thread of shame in my body melt. Yes, I have become quite shameless. In situations like this, shameless people win. I want to win, even just this once. 

 

“That’s why I’m thankful that you asked me.” She smiled and I just felt my heart sink a little. No, not the bad kind of sinking. The good kind, the one that’s pleasant. A pleasant sinking of the heart, that’s what I am feeling right now. She’s so beautiful. 

 

I was about to ask her why when the server arrived with our food. So I just closed my mouth, I don’t want to ruin the moment. I mean, I’ve ruined tons of moments between us. I’d rather have my mouth shut. 

 

“Hey, I'm curious. What are you guys actually trying to prepare?” I ask her as I take another bite from my steak. I was trying to make our conversation longer so that dinner wouldn’t be awkward. 

 

“Well, I can’t really tell you. Can I?” She had this lovely smile plastered all over her face. 

 

“Well, you can tell me anything. I’m like the most not judgmental person ever.” I try to stifle back my laughter, Mina too, I can see she’s trying to stop herself from laughing. 

 

“The most not judgmental person ever.” She  says this mockingly.                                       

 

“What?” I ask her, and notice she’s trying to get a hold of some table napkins for herself, so I gave her some. 

 

“First of all, I almost had an  aneurysm while I was listening to you speak.” She says so casually that I had to pause for like a second. 

 

“Hey!” I try to defend myself but fail because she’s right. Sometimes, it’s difficult for me to understand myself too.

 

“Second, what does being not judgemental have to do with my thing?” She smiles, her voice sounded a little high-pitched and made me laugh a little. 

 

“I was just trying to be cute.” I told her, of course I sounded beaten. Nothing can get past this woman, I swear to god. She stared at me, and she reached out for my head and she ruffled my hair. 

 

“Aigoo, you don’t even have to try.” She smiled softly and continued to eat her steak. I just stared at her, I knew what she meant. This night is not going to be easy. “Hey, we should order wine. Not too much though, just enough. Would that be cool?” She asked me casually. I just nod because I for one, know she’s absolutely right about this one. 

 

I know it’s dumb to order wine in the middle of eating steak but nobody is perfect. We sipped and enjoyed the wine quietly, not really saying that much except checking in how each of us have been doing. I need wine, as a social lubricant. I mean, , I’m not that tense. I feel weirdly calm, but damn it, I think I deserve some alcohol. 

 

“Hey, it’s nice. This whole thing is nice.” Mina, out of nowhere, says this. I just stare at her, her loveliness just explodes all over the place. 

 

“What? The dinner?” I jokingly asked her, she stared at me. What else could she be referring too, right?

 

“Yeah, sure. The dinner.” She jokingly replies , she suddenly had her eyes downcast and she just started picking on her now empty plate. I just stare at her, a little confused as to how to ask her things that have been bugging me lately. 

 

“Hey, Mina.” I call her attention.

 

“I see you’ve dropped the use of honorifics.” She lifts her head and just stares at me. 

 

“Do you want me to use honorifics?” I jokingly ask her and I see her smile, a little. This made me feel comfortable with what I am about to do. 

 

“Whatever floats your boat, Chaeng Chaeng.” She smiles and then she proceeds to grab a napkin. I just stared at her and I couldn’t help it, I have to tell her the truth. I’ve been stressing over this for years now. She needs to know. I want her to know. 

 

“I don’t know if you can tell but I like girls.” I tell her directly. She stared at me. Not a trace of shock can be seen on her face. 

 

This is the first time I am telling someone else that I am not straight. I feel as if I should have not told her what I really am, why is she just staring? Can’t she please say something? All this staring is making me nervous. Words, words is all I need. I want her to say something. Please talk, Myoui Mina. Please. 

 

“Yeah? Well, me too.” She replied casually, and she just propped her arm on the table and rested her chin on her hand. She looked bored as if what I’ve told her isn’t something new to her. 

 

I just stare at her and feel my heart beat fast, abnormally fast as if I am going to have a heart attack. The Bar wasn’t entirely silent, pop music was currently playing in the background. She seemed unfazed, just staring at me. It’s back, her gaze that pierced through me.

 

“Mina, I said I’m into girls.” I repeat, making sure that she understands that meant I’m into people like her. 

 

“Yeah, I heard you the first time. I’m also telling you that I’m into girls as well.” She smirked and I couldn’t help but just blush. 

 

“That’s…” I just trail off. 

 

“I kind of knew you were into girls the first time we kissed in Jihyo’s rest house.” She casually says this. I feel my heart sink, this time I do not know whether it’s the good kind. Why? Why didn’t she say a word? Why is she only saying this now? I feel as if my airways have been closed. 

 

“Why?” was all I could manage to get out of me. 

 

“Well, I thought you viewed our kiss as a mistake.” She replies. She looked down, she sounded a little sullen when she said those words. I just breathe in and out for a while, not sure why things turned out this way. I shake my head profusely, letting her know that I enjoyed everything that night. 

 

“Mina, in case you don’t know…” I scratch my nape in frustration.

 

“What else?” She smirked knowingly, I feel as if she can read my mind.

 

“I’ve liked you for the longest time now. This may sound corny, but I’ve unknowingly liked you since day one.” I finally say it. She stares at me for a while and she nods her head, as if telling me she understood. It made me feel at ease to see her take the information so easily.

 

“Yah, Son Chaeyoung.” She huffed and then she slowly reached for my hand and entwined our fingers, she’s just looking at me. Mina is trying to test whether it was okay if she held my hand, I didn’t resist. I just nod calmly but in reality I feel as if my heart was going to burst.

 

“It’s never a mistake with you. Never.” I tell her assuringly. My heart beating to the beat of the pop music playing in the background. She stared at our hands and she just smiled. 

 

“Whatever this is, I want to let you know that I am delighted that you are in my life.” She smiles as she squeezed my hand tighter. That’s when I knew, without her saying that much, that she felt the same way.