Christmas Day

BLAMELESS

SON CHAEYOUNG'S POINT OF VIEW 

The flight back to Korea was a blur. Well, I do remember Mrs. Myoui accompanying us to the airport. We didn't really get to exchange words because of the language barrier but before I left, she gave me the biggest hug and thanked me in English. To be honest, it felt nice that I got to see her before leaving. Mina resembled her so much, that part was pleasant. Anyway, after that, I didn't really remember much because everything was just blurry. Whether the blur was caused by the headache I had or because I didn't really care anymore, I don't know. Maybe both, I don't really know. I didn't care either, by that point I just wanted to go home and rest. I had things to do too, I needed to do some school work. I needed to get work done and honestly, staying in Japan for three days kind of prevented me from doing any work. 

We were seated together during the flight and of course, we sat in silence during the whole ordeal. To describe it as hell is an understatement. My head was the throbbing, it was because I hadn't had a chance to sleep properly the night before. I mean, what kind of person would be able to sleep after that confrontation? No, not me. I also noticed how Mina is wearing sunglasses. Does she think she's an idol? 

After that trip, we ignored each other again. We went back to our normal routine. I went to school, mingled with classmates, I did my homework, I did all my readings, I attended the meeting for the school event, and I took exams. I was lucky enough that I have Tzuyu. Things have become so much easier because she was around. This routine went on for weeks until classes were over for Christmas break. 

It would have been better if I had decided to go home right after classes were over. However, the older girls encouraged us to stay until Christmas. They all wanted us to spend our time together, and of course, we all wanted to celebrate because Minwoo has been incarcerated. I thought the idea was nice so I decided to stay. Plus, I don't have much to do when I'm at home. I know I'd end up being bored because I'd always be with my family. Why not spend Christmas with my unnies, right? I'll just spend my New Years at home, I guess. 

But of course, being in the dorms during the holidays also meant I have a lot of time for myself. On most days I would stay in my room and just mope around. There would be times when people would come and invite me to go outside which was nice. But most of the time, I was alone with my thoughts. Because of this, I'm starting to doubt my decision about Mina. I don't know, but that night at the Hotel keeps on playing inside my head.

 

Did I do the right thing?

 

"Of course I did." I mumble to myself, feeling pathetic that I've reduced myself to this. I just lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling has become a daily routine now. It even feels like the ceiling has become my best friend. 

 

But she did tell you that what she felt was genuine.

 

"Am  I being dumb or am I just full of pride?" I ask myself. I just stare at the wall, it's empty, just like me. I feel empty inside. I know it sounds pitiful to say such a thing. It sounds almost selfish and I sound ungrateful of my privilege. I stare at the ceiling for God knows how long when I suddenly hear a knock on my door. I turn my gaze towards my door and see Nayeon unnie. She's standing by the door frame and she had this hopeful look on her face. 

"Yeah?" I ask her. 

"Do you have time today?" She asked me. I sat straight up and nod my head. 

"Of course, I do. It's Christmas break, unnie. I have all the time in the world." I say this begrudgingly. She had this smile on her face, she looked beautiful as usual. 

"Want to come with me?" She asked me. She hadn't told me where yet but I nod my head happily. 


Do I think I was dumb enough to agree to something that I wasn't fully aware of? Well, yeah. Maybe. At this point, I don't really know what I'm doing with my life. But anyway, I thought Nayeon unnie and I were going shopping or we were going to hang out at a cafe. But I was mistaken. Nayeon unnie had an entirely different plan for our afternoon. 

"Please say sike." It sounded almost like I was begging her. Well, I'm almost there anyway. She had this look on her face which I couldn't read. 

"Sike." She said this so unenthusiastically. I frowned and stared at her. 

"Oh, god. How I wish this is a nightmare." I huff. 

We were currently outside of Seodaemun Prison. I just stare at my surroundings, I needed visual cues that would tell me that what I am currently seeing is real. I huff out, stressed about the whole situation. Everything that's happening right now is more than unreal to me. I couldn't believe it. 

"I mean, like, this place looks like it's made out of nightmares so that's that." She mumbles as she looks around the place. 

"I can't believe you actually dragged me out here." I tell her, I wanted to be annoyed but I know she had a good reason why I'm the one she's dragging out here. I stare at her and noticed how quiet she's gotten. We were outside of the gate, just standing, looking like complete idiots. "Oh god, I hate you so much right now." I tell her, I made sure I seemed shameless when I said this. I see her smile for a short while. 

"Oh, come on. This is going to be fun." She smirked at me as the gates opened and that's when I see a police officer slowly approach us. I was scared at first but then I calmed down when I notice that Nayeon unnie seemed unfazed. 

"Are you Miss Im?" He asked, he seemed a little stiff. 

"Yes and she's a friend of mine, she'll be accompanying me inside." Says Nayeon unnie as she shows the officer her identification card. It's probably for security purposes. The police officer gave me this brief glance and then he nodded. 

"Oh, god. Please say sike. Please say sike." Whisper, just enough so that Nayeon unnie would hear me. I guess it worked because she briefly glanced at me and smirked. 

"It's going to be okay. Trust me." She softly assures me as we both were guided by the officer inside the famous Seodaemun Prison. 


When we got inside, we had to go through a very tedious inspection. We needed to hand every sharp object we had on us and we also had to surrender our phone to the officers. They told us that we would get our stuff back later after the visit. Of course, we complied. I wanted to comply because I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. The place gave me the creeps, it was old, people have died in there, and it was full high-profile cases. This meant the people inside this penitentiary are extra crazy. I personally think I'm experiencing too much craziness in my life so going here isn't necessary for me.

"You did this for what?" I ask her, we were both in this big room. The room was split in half by a wall installed in order to separate the inmates from the visitors. Attached to this wall are booths with phones that would let the visitors and inmates converse. There already were visitors aside from us. I could hear them talk but it's impossible to know to understand them without context. 

"I need this." She replied without skipping a beat. I knew she was serious, so I just nod. The fact that Jung Minwoo is already in prison is still something that I cannot grasp. To me, it's still something I can't believe. The idea is still very much unreal to me even though it's almost already three weeks since he was caught. "Besides, when I asked you out, going here wasn't really in my head." She adds. 

Maybe it was because I was tired and I really didn't want to reason with her, so I just nod. "You owe me coffee and dinner." I tell her blatantly. She smiled at me, she knew I'd give in easily. 

"You're the best." She smiled at me but suddenly her smile withered. I knew something was up so I immediately turned my direction to where she was looking at and that was when I see Jung Minwoo. I know it has only been three weeks since he was captured hiding at that girl's basement but he looked totally different. He looked emaciated, bruises covered his arms and I see that some parts of his face was discolored. When he entered, he had this blank look on his face but the moment that he saw who was visiting, his facial expression suggested he was pleased. 

"Are you sure about this? I think this will enable him." I tell Nayeon unnie what I've been thinking this whole time. 

"Yes." She had this blank look on her face. I couldn't really do anything so I just nod at her. I knew I wasn't speaking to that bastard anyway. 

"Miss Im Nayeon? Your seat's ready." The guard calls her attention.


IM NAYEON'S POINT OF VIEW

It was crazy how much tension I felt inside when the officer told me that my seat was ready. There he was, staring at me intently. I knew the wall was going to protect me against him. That was the only reason why I have the courage to face him today. 

"Stay here, okay?" I tell Chaeyoung nicely. I felt bad for dragging her here, but I had to. No one else would accompany me, not even my girlfriend. If she knew what I've been up to, I'd be in so much trouble. Obviously, I don't want that. I dragged Chaeyoung here cause she's free and she isn't as judgy as the others. 

Walking towards the booth felt like I was walking on air. That doesn't mean I was happy, it was more of me being tense and scared about the whole situation. He was there, staring at me intently. He was watching my every move. Honestly, I just want to shoot him in the head. 

I sat down and grabbed the phone which allowed me to hear whatever he was going to say. I stared at him while my free and clutched on my purse. "You came to see me, Nayeon-ah." he sounded happy almost when he said this. 

"Yes." I reply immediately. "But don't get the wrong idea. " I tell him immediately. Minwoo stared at me for a while, he was only clutching to the phone. It was as if he was calculating what he was supposed to say. 

"So, have you been eating well?" He asked me, he was smiling when he said this. I wanted to curse him out but I knew doing so wouldn't do me any good. 

"Now that you're locked up? Yes. I am very much happy." I tell him. he had this look on his face that suggested he didn't expect me to answer that way. Maybe he's still living in his fantasy world that I love him and I'd be willing to date gim. 

"Yah, Nayeon-ah. How can you say that to me? I've been suffering since that day I got here, how can you be so harsh?" He was smiling when he asked this. Something in me was happy to know that he's suffering. I can see it, it seemed like he's lost weight. It also seemed like he was beaten up by the other inmates. He was bruised on his face. 

"It's good to know that you suffered." I tell him. "I wish you'd be sentenced to death. I want you to fry, wriggle, and writhe in pain in the electric chair." 

It seemed like he was taken aback with what I had said. The once soft gaze he had moments ago turned to a very sharp gaze. He stared for some time before responding to what I said. 

"You're nothing. You know that, right?" He started. This hit me. "I am the son of a CEO and my father is doing his best to get me out of here. Do you really think your case will win against me? Get your head out of your and wake up. You are nothing. Your friends are nothing. The moment I step my foot outside of this penitentiary, I will make sure to make you and your friends suffer. You are a lowlife and if you die tomorrow, no one will take notice." he said this so easily that I wanted to hit him. The only thing preventing me from assaulting him is the wall. 

"You're right. I am a lowlife. But I am loved and I have my family and friends behind my back. You have nothing. You were born loved by no one and if you die, you'll still be loved by no one. No one will mourn you and your death will be seen as a big thanks-giving." I tell him, making sure I hit him where it hurts. He seemed startled, he's visibly shaking. 

"You sure talk big. Make sure you keep this energy when I get out of here." He seemed sure when he said this.

"We've got sufficient evidence to get you convicted in criminal court. Pray that your lawyers get you off the hook smoothly, who knows? You might get sent to death row. Spend your remaining days wisely." I tell him. I was about to stand up and finish everything already but then I hear him. 

"I will use everything in my power to get out of here and when I do, I will find you and I will get you. You and your little friends will suffer in my hands." Veins popped on his temple. That was when I dropped the phone, stood up, and grabbed Chaeyoung. 

"Let's go. We're done here." I mumble as I grabbed her arm. Chaeyoung was kind enough to just let me grab her. "Thank you, officer." I mumble at the on-duty officer and walk off to the exit door not looking that guy in the eye. 


SON CHAEYOUNG'S POINT OF VIEW

It surprised me how heated everything got inside the penitentiary. The waiting was longer than the actual conversation they had. Nayeon unnie was quiet the entire time we were traveling to our next destination. I didn't exactly hear everything, but I knew he said something bad to make Nayeon unnie storm off like that. I saw it too, his eyes, they became sharp. He was angry, I could tell. 

"Two caramel macchiatos for Nathalie." The waiter placed the coffee right in front of us. I was about to object because first of all, who is Nathalie? 

"Thank you." Says Nayeon unnie, she seemed to have calmed down now. I stare at her. 

"What the? Nathalie? You don't look like a Nathalie." I as I reach for my cup of coffee. I see stick her tongue out before she proceeded to sip on her cup of coffee. We were currently at an entirely different coffee shop where I haven't been to. 

"That's my English name, pabo." She replied. "You have an english name too and I don't tease you about it."

"You don't tease me about it because it suits me." I tell her jokingly. "Nathalie doesn't suit you. You look more like a Norma." I tell her, I actually think I'm funny. 

"Norma?! No, I can't be a Norma. I'd rather get hit by a bus than be named Norma. That's an ahjumma's name!" She complains. 

"Aren't you an ahjumma?" I ask her and to this, she responded by slightly smacking my arm. "What about Helga? Helga suits you. You look like you were born to be named Helga." I jokingly add.

"I am not a witch!" She gave me this look that suggested she hated the name. "What's your English name?" she asks me back. 

"Katarina." I reply, hoping that she wouldn't roast me because of it. 

"So religious." She laughs out loud, it seems like she's in a good mood already. "Do you use your knees often?" She asks me this, I almost choked on my coffee because I knew what she meant. I just stare at her, figuring out how to respond to that. 

"I swing both ways, but I like using this more." I reply, pointing at my mouth. She stared at me. She suddenly became quiet that I just had to sip on my coffee silently. 

"You mean you're..." She trails off. "You like girls too?" She whispers. My eyes widen and I just stare at her. "That makes it four out of nine." She counts on her hands. 

"What do you mean by 'too'?" I asked her. "And what do you mean by four out of nine? Why are you counting?" I ask her. She gave me this look as if she just spilled things she's not supposed to say. I stared at her. 

"I like girls too." She had this shy look on her face. It felt weird, how we're casually just saying all this stuff to each other. 

"Who are the other two? " I ask her. 

"It's not my position to out them." She replies and I just stare at her, she's right. "Anyway, it's cool that you told me that. Not everyone would admit it the way you did. You're cool." She nervously laughs. "Did you by any chance date someone yet?" She asks me. I just stare at her, it felt weird. I then just laugh at her, it would be weird to tell her about Mina, right? Then she'd realize we used to screw while they were asleep. 

"Why? What's wrong?" She asked, she was obviously concerned because I was nervous laughing too. "Why? Is it someone I know?" She asked, I know she meant to ask that as a joke but I became awfully silent which maybe made her think if she was right. 

"What?" I laugh, I'm a terrible liar. I hate myself. "Nooooooo." I laughed again, sipped on my coffee, and then I became awfully quiet. 

"Holy . You big liar! You've dated someone I know! Is it someone from next door?" She suddenly became very interested, she even leaned in. I smile at her, I was clearly embarrassed because of what's happening. "DON'T TELL ME IT'S FROM OUR DORM?!" She almost screamed. I had to calm her down by covering using my hand. 

"Can you please be quiet?" I ask her. 

"Tell me. Tell unnie everything." She smiled like a kid. I can't believe I got myself into this. How the hell do I tell her everything? How do I tell her that I broke off everything with Mina because of her? How do I tell her I was once very jealous of her and because of that I am now alone and lonely. HOW? 

"It's Tzuyu. It must be Tzuyu." She smiled, a big smile. "You guys are always together, nothing can separate you guys." She said this as if she's cracked the code. I just stare at her and shake my head. 

 

"It's Myoui Mina." I reply and just look down. 


 

"You're dumb." Nayeon unnie finally breaks the silence between us. 

It took her a few minutes before she could actually tell me her thoughts about our situation. I just stare at her in disbelief, isn't that a little too harsh? 

"I get it now." She was serious when she said this. "Am I person you're referring to? Am I the person who you think Mina likes?" She chuckles. I just stare at her, a little annoyed because she's not taking any of this seriously. I just nod. 

"Do you remember that night when you walked in on us talking in the Kitchen?" She started, I had to try and remember what she was saying because I'm pretty sure that happened some time ago. "I thought it was weird how you didn't even join us. I thought you had a bad day but no. You actually thought we were flirting that night, didn't you? Don't lie or else you'll wake up shorter tomorrow." She warns me. 

"Yeah. I thought you guys were flirting." I tell her honestly. 

"That would be impossible though. Jeongyeon and I have been dating ever since she visited me. It was during her birthday." She casually tells me this. I just stare at her in disbelief. 

"So..." I trail off. "Holy , you guys are a thing?!" I was excited and happy of course

 "Yeah, that's why you're dumb. You told me she kept bugging you when you guys were in Japan, right?" She asked me again. 

"." I huff in disbelief. 

"Yeah, huff all you want. Ah, how the hell can you be such a dummy?" She asked me and I just stare at her. She's right. I've listened to no one but myself this whole time that I completely drove MIna off. 

", I messed up unnie." I start to whine when everything hit me. 

"Yeah, you messed up big time. Pabo." She gave me the evil eye. "I'm so tempted to smack you right now. I swear to god I'm doing my best not to smack you." She kept on ranting. 

I just stare into thin air, feeling like I was sinking. 

"So you're telling me all of this is a misunderstanding?" I ask her. 

"I mean, she did like me." She chuckles, I had to stare at her to make her snap out of it. "But that's not the point. The point is her feelings for me are long overdue." She adds. 

"Did she say that?" I ask her. 

"Yeah." She smiles. This was enough for me to realize that I should go and talk to Mina. But how? I honestly don't know how to talk to her. Lately all we do is argue and I just feel so shy around her. "Anyway, you guys are good at hiding things. I never noticed you guys were a thing." She compliments me. 

"Oh, god. I miss her." I whine, covering my face with my palms. I'm currently massaging my face using my palms to calm myself down.

"You deserve it, dummy." She scolds me. I just stare at her but deep inside I was stressing on how to talk to Mina. "By the way, have you guys..." She trails off. I stare at her and realize what she meant. I scowl at her. 

"I'm not telling you anything." I tell her as I grab her arm, I wanted to get out of the cafe already. She remained seated though.

"What is this?" She asked.

"You're treating me to dinner." I was upset and I needed food, she just chuckled and stood up. Both of us walking out of the cafe. 

"So, have you guys? You know? While we were in the dorms too?" She jokingly asked. 

"Have you and Jeongyeon unnie done it?" I ask her back. She looked taken aback when I asked her this. 

"I can treat you to some steak if you want." She nervously offered. 

"That's what I thought." I replied as we both walked out of the establishment. 

 

Four out of nine. I know who they are now. 


After our visit to Minwoo, things have gone back to normal. Everyone's become noisy again and we all crack jokes every now and then. The information that I've uncovered about Nayeon unnie and Jeongyeon unnie has definitely changed the way I look at them. Whenever Jeongyeon unnie comes for a visit, I would throw this knowing look to Nayeon unnie and shrug my eyebrows. None of the other girls know about anything yet and I understand why. I'd do the same too if I was in their situation, except I am not because I am obviously single and alone right now. 

 

Loser.

 

"Gather around! Gather around!" Shouts Jeongyeon unnie, she was in the middle of the kitchen. Today's Christmas day and we all promised to celebrate it together. It feels nice to celebrate and not worry about anything. 

"Coming!" Shouts Nayeon unnie shouts from right across the room. She's currently walking to where Jeongyeon unnie is, just like everyone else. I walk too and catch up to Nayeon unnie. 

"God, just marry each other." I whisper right by her ear, teasing her. 

"Shut up or I'll end you." She smiles at me which in a way made me feel nervous. 

Everyone quickly gathered around the circle, dinner was over and the next portion is, well, the drinking portion. These girls can't go on without drinking every celebration and to be honest, I find that very amusing about them. 

"Merry Christmas, dork. I was wondering how come Danny isn't here?" Momo asks Jihyo unnie.

"Ah, he's spending Christmas with his family." Replies Jihyo unnie and then she suddenly turns her gaze to Jeongyeon whose currently preparing the booze. "We're going to drink that, right?" She asks. 

"Of course." Smiles the ostrich. 


 "!!" Out of nowhere Momo unnie suddenly cusses. Of course this way many bottles of soju later. I almost jumped out of my seat, it was all good though. I ended up chuckling. 

"Jesus Christ! Stop cursing!" Shouts Jihyo unnie. 

"Don't you dare include Jesus in this conversation!" interrupts Dahyun out of nowhere.

"Shush." Sana unnie tries to cover Dahyun's mouth. 

"Says the one who's also cursing." Laughs Nayeon unnie as she elbows Jeongyeon unnie for another shot. 

"You've had enough, stop asking for more." Jeongyeon unnie's talking was slurred, well, it been hours since we started. 

Everyone was spread all over the living room. Some were sitting on the couch, some were seated together, some were too drunk to even have more shots. Tzuyu was definitely out of it, she had her head rested on the table. I was sitting beside her of course, I can't let leave her alone just like that. 

"Yah, Chou Tzuyu! You weakling." Dahyun suddenly put her arm around the youngest. 

"You're drunk." I call Kim Dahyun's attention, this Prompted Sana who was beside her to scold Dahyun.

"Stop bugging Tzuyu or else." Sana had this sharp look in her eyes, which is scary, to say the least. I was just there, sitting and enjoying their company. Sitting right across me was Mina, I couldn't tell if she was drunk. Every now and then I would glance at her, making sure that when I do, she's looking away. 

"Yah, Park Jisoo." Momo unnie calls Jihyo unnie's attention. 

"It's Jihyo! Jihyo!" Jihyo unnie looks up from her phone just to correct Momo unnie. 

"Whatever." Replies Momo as she slides the soju shot to Jihyo unnie. "You miss him that much? We miss you too, you know." Momo unnie gave Jihyp unnie the evil eye. Because of this, Jihyo unnie reluctantly put her phone away. 

I am at least happy that the exchange of gifts was done already. It was revealed that Sana unnie was the one who picked me. I put the gift away though, it's in my room for safekeeping. So for now, it's all drinking. I don't know when we would end this, but I'm sure as hell I don't want to be as drunk as Dahyun, Nayeon, Tzuyu, and Momo. It's an awful sight. No one should suffer like me. 

"Baby, I'm tired." Huffs someone inside the room. This made everyone who was sober gasp. "I want to sleep." Adds Nayeon unnie. She was addressing Jeongyeon unnie. Everyone stared, the room became awfully silent. Tzuyu still had her head on the table, Momo unnie didn't give a because she was drunk, and Dahyun was all over Sana. 

"Holy ." Mumbles Jihyo as she pours herself another shot. "I need more of this." She huffs, referring to the liquor. She turned instantly red when she glanced at Nayeon and Jeongyeon.

"So you're telling me she reciprocated your feelings?!" Exclaims Sana unnie, she was staring at the currently drunk Nayeon who was in Jeongyeon's arms. Jengoyeon unnie looked pale, it was as if her soul left her body. I was waiting for her to say something, but it seemed like she was iced. I couldn't help but just look down and laugh because of how comedic this party has become. 

"Wait, you knew?" I asked Sana unnie. She stared at me and nodded. "Gee, thanks Nayeon unnie. All this time I thought I was special cause I knew your secret." I huff out. 

"You guys knew before me?!" Jihyo unnie exclaimed, this made me and Sana unnie nod our heads. "I thought we're best of friends? How could you not have told me? That's why you guys were awfully close!" Exclaims Jihyo unnie, she seemed disappointed. Not because her friends prefer women but because her friends chose to not tell her anything. "This is unfair, I should've known! I practically raised you two." Huffs Jihyo unnie. 

"You know who called me baby before?!" Out of nowhere, drunk Dahyun came to life. She had this odd look on her face which confirmed that she was really drunk. This suddenly made me scared. 

"Oh, god. Im Nayeon you're heavy." Huffs Jeongyeon unnie as she's trying to properly prop Nayeon unnie up. Of course, Jeongyeon unnie gave up. 

"Shut it Church girl or I'll end you." I suddenly blurted out of nowhere, I was staring at Kim Dahyun. This made the others stare at me. 

"You." Dahyun pointed to me, she was drunk laughing. After that, she fell right back to Sana's arms. "You smell so good." She huffed as she clung tighter to Sana. 

"You guys dated before?" Mina has been silent for hours, she was just drinking, laughing, and just overall enjoying the party with us. This was the first time that she ever really spoke out loud tonight. "I mean, not that I care." She adds. This made me stare at her for a while, is it weird that I wanted her to care? 

"C'mon. you can't believe anything she says. Right?" Replies Sana unnie to Mina. 

"Unless it's all true!" Jihyo unnie adds but then she shakes her head. "Pretty impossible though but I think it would be funny if it were true." She adds. 

"Okay, that's it." I stand up and start picking up the empty bottles of soju. "It's time to go to bed." I declare and that's when I hear the annoyed groans of the people who still wanted to drink. 


It wasn't long after when everyone who was sober started cleaning the living room. I was adamant about stopping the party since too many secrets were being revealed. I just felt weird about the whole situation. After Jeongyeon unnie has made sure Nayeon unnie is all cleaned up, she approached me and thanked me for calling it a night. I told her I understand and that thanking me wasn't necessary. After that, we all retreated to our rooms and that was when I started to feel like crap again. 

 

Alone, once again.

 

The sudden knock from outside of my door made me sit straight up. I just stared at the door, wondering who could it be. 

"Who is it?" I ask. 

"It's me." I knew then and there who it was. I quickly stand up and open the door, and there she was. She's completely changed into something more comfortable and I can see that she's washed. She looked immaculate even in ordinary clothes and it pains me that I can't tell her that.

"It's you." Was all I could say. It felt off because I knew I had to say something more than that. I should say more than that. " Do you want to come inside my room, Mina?" I ask her, she then suddenly turned bright red and I knew what that meant. Because of that, I feel my cheeks becoming hot too. Since I didn't want it to be obvious, I just looked down. "No, not that. Please, I didn't mean it that way." I add. 

"I know." She replies, she seemed shy. "I came here because I forgot to give you this." This made me look up and realize she's prepared a gift for me. 

"Oh, god. You didn't have to." I mumble under my breath as I hesitantly accept the gift. 

"No, I have to. I need to." She replies. 

"I feel bad for not getting you anything." I tell her, I genuinely felt sorry. 

"You don't have to." She smiles. "Merry Christmas, Chaeyoung-ah." She adds before she turned her back and walked away. 


When I opened the gift, I was taken aback. It was the sketch I made for her months ago, it was framed. I didn't understand why she's giving it back to me, but then as I dug into the package more, I realized there was a letter. I hurriedly opened it. 


 

Hello there, Cub. I miss calling you by that nickname.

You might be wondering why I'm gifting this to you. Well, the answer is simple. It's because every time I see it inside my room, I just remember you. Chaeyoung-ah, it's been difficult for me to get the thought of you out of my head. I even wished that you were the one I had picked out during the exchange of gifts. But sadly that wasn't the case. Anyway, I want to tell you that I'm terribly sorry about what had happened in Japan. I should've handled the situation better. I guess all of this, you know, the thing between us is beyond repair. I miss you terribly, I really do. But the thing is you've already spoken about our situation. And I completely understand. I understand everything. As of now, I don't know where to start but maybe gifting this portrait back to you will make me miss you less. That's step one, I guess. 

If I was to turn back time, I would have done some things differently. 

 

Yours Truly,

Penguin 

 


 

"No, I have to. I need to."  suddenly these words convey a different meaning now.