Power equates to Justice

BLAMELESS

Hirai Momo’s Point of View

 

“Unnie, you have to get here. Quick.” It was past 12 midnight when we received a call from Kim Dahyun. She didn’t really say much, she only said she needed us there and that there was an emergency. It was mysterious, to say the least, to hear that from Dahyun, what type of trouble could she have gotten herself in? That’s all I could think about. 

“What’s wrong? It’s midnight, Dahyun-ah. Why aren’t you home yet?” I asked her, I was simply concerned. I didn’t mean to come off as indifferent. 

“Sana’s hurt.” She cried over the phone. 

Those words, those two words were enough to send everyone to an overdrive. Since Sana lived in the house next door, everyone, I mean everyone tagged along. It was Chaos, none of us knew what we would see in the Hospital but we go anyway.


It was chaotic and almost embarrassing to be in the emergency room, there’s a lot of us frantically searching for any sign of Sana and Dahyun. Thankfully, we were told that Sana was now in stable condition and is indeed in her own private room. Though visiting hours was over hours ago, we begged the nurses to let us see our friend. It took a lot of convincing before the nurses actually let us inside. 

“Unnie, Sana was cornered by Min Woo in an alley.” Kim Dahyun seems to be in a state of shock. She's limiting her words for some reason too, I just stare at her as I try to figure out how to talk to her. She had this look in her eyes, it suggested she was uncomfortable. 

“I have so many questions in my head right now.” Says Jeongyeon unnie, she was obviously confused and annoyed. We were all outside of Sana’s room, Dahyun insisted it wasn’t the best time to go inside.

“Is she hurt bad?” Asks Mina, her eyes are glazed. She was obviously worried, her voice was shaky. 

“Some wounds, no major injuries.” Replies Dahyun. She was shaking, it must have been difficult for her to witness everything. 

 

Wait, why is she the first person to know?

 

“Were you with Sana? I’m really confused right now. I’ve got more questions in my head than answers.” I told her, I was being honest. It feels as if so much has been going on and that I do not have a single clue about any of them. 

“Dahyun-ah, come here.” Says Jihyo, Dahyun walks over to her. “Guys, please take your seats. I need to talk to her.” Jihyo said gently but she still had this firm tone in her voice. We all stared for a while and then took our seats. 

“I hope Sana’s doing fine.” Says Nayeon, she was trembling. Jeongyeon was right beside her, her arms around the girl as a sign of comfort. I was beside Mina, she was silent, also a little stiff. 


Park Jihyo’s Point of view

 

There’s an understanding between me and the others when I tell them what to do, somehow they would always obey and follow my words. Tonight wasn’t an exception, I told them to stay outside and wait for the confirmation that Sana does want to talk. Things have become more complicated lately, I just want the best for everyone. 

“Okay, so let me get this straight.” I started, I was confused as hell. The information overload wasn’t helping at all. “You were sorting out the trash and taking them out? You threw the trash in the alleyway dumpster where…” I trailed off, I stared at Sana and she seemed pained. She was on her bed. She had some bruises on her arms and face, she probably tripped or something. 

“Where she encountered Min Woo, yes.” Says Dahyun, she was seated in the corner of the room. It seemed as if she was trying to distance herself from Sana, this gave me an odd feeling.

“And how did you know all this?” I asked her, I was obviously confused, both of them had loopholes in their story. Dahyun stared at me with a confused look in her face. It seemed as if the question floored her. 

“Well, I uh…” Kim Dahyun trailed off, trying to come up with an excuse that she could probably tell me. I just stare at her, waiting for what she's come up with. 

“She came to pick me up from work.” Replies Sana, it was the first time she ever said anything. I stared at her, she didn't seem shaken. I just sigh, I knew there really was something more. I just knew it, but it felt wrong to ask them more questions. 

“I know you guys aren’t telling me everything.” I tell them, crossing my arms. “But I will let it go for now. I just want you guys to know that you can trust me and you can tell me anything.” I reassure them, Sana was now once again just looking at her sheets. Dahyun was staring at her, it was as if I didn’t really exist. 

“Noted, unnie.” Says Dahyun. Sana seemed a little off, she looks really out of it. It was dawn, after all, everyone’s supposed to be asleep but here we all are. Everyone wanted to be in when we heard Sana was hurt. 

“The girls have tons of questions.” I tell them the truth. “Dahyun, you’ve heard Momo, right? She’s very inquisitive and smart, what am I supposed to tell them?” I ask them, I don’t want any of this to spill. “Nobody knows that you’ve dropped out.” I tell Sana who’s now looking at me. Dahyun was just silently listening. 

“We need to come up with a story if you don’t want them to know anything.” I tell her. 

“Please let them in, I’m ready to tell them everything and more.” Says Sana, she was staring at Dahyun. Dahyun seemed a little taken aback but she’s trying her best not to react much. 


THIRD PERSON’S POINT OF VIEW

 

Jihyo was a little taken aback when Sana confirmed that it was fine to let the other girls inside, she was afraid that Sana wouldn’t be able to answer all the questions. But worrying isn’t really something that she should be doing, Sana’s an adult after all. 

 

Hugging. 

 

There was so much hugging and crying when the other girls were allowed inside. Everyone hurried towards Sana’s bed, some were sitting on the bed’s edge and some were just standing. Jihyo and Dahyun sat beside each other, they both knew one way or another Sana would need their help. But for now, it’s time they just listen. 

“What the hell happened you dummy?!” Asks Momo, she was standing. She chose not to hug Sana, she just stood there it was apparent that she was annoyed. Sana just smiled, she chose to play coy and not answer Momo’s inquiry. 

“Are you okay?” Asks Nayeon, she was the one that’s crying. She was emotional out of all the people because she feels as if it’s partly at fault. "Wait, don't answer that. Of course, you're not. That was a stupid question, I'm sorry." Nayeon immediately adds. 

“Sana unnie, I think this will cause scarring.” Says Chaeyoung as she points at the scar on Sana’s arm. Jeongyeon chuckled as she lightly smacks Chaeyoung’s head. 

“You’re not hurt, right?” Asks Mina, she was next Chaeyoung amidst the tension between them. “The important thing is you’re doing fine. Please don’t be hurt next time.” Mina’s voice trembled, Nayeon’s crying also affected Mina. She’s biting her lower lip, Chaeyong, without thinking, pats Mina's shoulder. 

Tzuyu was standing there, she didn’t sit on the hospital bed’s edge. She just stood there far away from Sana, feeling as if her heart was broken at the sight. She couldn’t help it, she can’t stop thinking that it might be her fault that’s why Sana is in this hospital right now. She felt horrible, she wanted to hug the girl but she’s afraid she’ll only break down crying if she touches Sana. For her, it was best to just stand still. Be far away, that’s the best for the both of them right now.

“Sana, is there something you’re not telling us?” Asks Momo. “Why were you and Dahyun out and about at midnight? You’re supposed to be home early.” Says Momo, the girl was just going at it. She asked what she wanted, no filters included.

Jihyo and Dahyun anticipated for the girl to ask this, Momo was naturally inquisitive. Dahyun wanted to stand up and be with Sana but she knew Sana could do this herself. 

 

“I’ve dropped out.” 

 

When Sana said this, it seemed like it was something difficult for her to talk about. The girl’s shoulders were slumped and she stared down. It was as if she was embarrassed to talk about it. Everyone was silent for seconds, the room was dead silent and that is incredibly amazing for a room full of girls. 

“I just felt as if what I was doing was pointless and that nothing was going my way. I dropped out to take off some steam and that’s how I ended up working at the convenience store near the mulberry street.” She breathed, Sana was red. It seemed as if she was really tired, she needed to rest too but she also needed to answer the questions. Dahyun noticed Sana’s difficulty with trying to come up with the right words. 

“We have evidence now to put Min Woo to jail.” Dahyun stands up. It was as if everyone was a little Shaken, Nayeon just stared at Dahyun. She couldn't believe what she's hearing. 

“Please tell me you’re not joking.” Says Jeongyeon, she too was taken aback. She had no time to listen to one of Dahyun’s jokes. 

“Dahyun-ah, please.” Says Nayeon, her voice was shaking. The others just stared and listened, they didn’t know how to react. It was as if it was too good to be true. 

“The convenience store at Mulberry street and its alleyways are filled with CCTV cameras.” Kim Dahyun says this calmly. The air in the room suddenly became serious and it was just silent. No one dared to talk. 

“This might be it.” Smiles Nayeon. “This might end this nightmare.” she adds, she stared at Jeongyeon of all people. This was the first time Jihyo heard this, she then stood up. 

“Yoo Jeongyeon and Im Nayeon, you both come with me to Sana’s workplace tomorrow.” Park Jihyo declares.


Son Chaeyoung’s Point of View

 

Jihyo unnie is the one that’s driving Momo, Jeongyeon, Nayeon, and Tzuyu home. Which meant I was alone with Mina, again. It’s embarrassing enough that I got a little hot-headed around her last night after dinner. It's embarrassing how it seems like I'm still undecided about what to feel around her. Should I be mad? Should I be neutral? Should I not care? I don't even know. 

 

In all honesty, I just feel stupid because even after everything that has happened, I still can't get her out of my head. 

 

I just sat outside, in the hall where there were seats. Mina’s together with Sana and Dahyun, they’re probably talking about stuff. It hasn’t been that long since the others left to go home, it will probably take a while before Jihyo unnie returns. I’ll just be alone then. 

“You can come in, you know.” Says a familiar voice, I look up and see Kim Dahyun. She looked beat up and just unwell, which brings me to my next question. 

“How the hell were you there at the right moment?” I asked her. With Kim Dahyun, introductions aren’t needed, I can go straight in whenever I want. It comes naturally since I’ve known her for so long. 

“I was there to pick her up.” She answered, almost too enthusiastically. I just stared at her, I know something was up but I was too tired to even bother asking her. “How have you been? I haven’t heard anything from you in a while.” She tries to change the route of our conversation. 

“I feel like , Dahyun.” I tell her since I really trust her. 

“I feel like too, Son Chaeyoung.” She replies, I try to think of something clever to respond but it feels like I just want to be truthful around her. She’s my friend after all. 

“What’s the reason?” I ask her, trying my best to make her open up to me. 

“The girl in the hospital bed and I think you already know the reason.” She replies, she doesn’t look at me but I feel the sincerity in her voice. “You?” She returns the question. I just breathe out a loud sad sigh.

“The girl who’s accompanying the girl in the hospital bed. I also think you already know the reason.” I tell her and I feel her put her arm around me. 


THIRD PERSON’S POINT OF VIEW

 

The next day was somehow of bliss, it came and went like it didn’t even happen. Jihyo, Jeongyeon, and Nayeon were persistent to collect and have evidence against Jung Min Woo. Everyone was terrified of what he might do next, it was scary and admittedly they don’t know what’s coming for them next. 

Thankfully Sana’s workplace was quick enough to save the footage. It was as if destiny itself wanted Jung Min Woo to perish in prison. 

The scary thing was the manager told them that a guy who fit Jung Min Woo’s description came to visit hours before them to have the tape. The guy was very insistent and offered a large sum of money in order to acquire the footage, the manager was about to call the police but the guy quickly walked away when the tension became unbearable.

Everything was good and the three girls felt victorious that they were able to have evidence that they could present against Jung Min Woo. However, when they got to the police station, the officers told them that the evidence could only be used for Sana’s assault. 

“What? You’re telling me that what happened to our friend cannot be connected to her stalking?” Asks Jeongyeon as she points at Nayeon, she was fuming and she thought the police were full of . “Is this a joke? Tell me you’re kidding.” Jeongyeon’s voice was raised, Jihyo and Nayeon haven’t heard her speak this way. 

“Jeongyeon-ah.” Jihyo tries to get a hold of the girl’s arm. She felt the girl’s stiffness. “Let’s get out of here.” Adds Jihyo as she pulls the two emotional girls outside of the police station.

“How can they say everything is just coincidental? It’s not!” Exclaims Nayeon, the three of them have decided it was best if they cooled down for a bit before going home. They can’t go home and disappoint the girls once again. They felt ashamed. 

“It's Only us who can say that.” Says Jihyo as she sips on her cup of coffee. 

“What does that even mean? It’s obvious the attack was indeed connected.” Adds Jeongyeon. 

“Will you relax? They’re already on the look for Min Woo for the assault. This only means the police are already on the lookout for him.” Replies Jihyo, the girl sounded a little frustrated. The tension between her and Jeongyeon can be felt in the air. 

“Stop it, you two.” Says Nayeon. 

Nayeon has the heart of a child, everyone knows this. She’s a kid in the body of a young adult, this may be difficult to comprehend, but it was the truth. She’s bubbly, funny, and above all, she’s cute. But that doesn’t mean she can’t act like the oldest. She had this look on her face that suggested that she was upset at the two. 

“This isn’t the time for an argument.” Says Nayeon, she was stern. She’s doing her best not to look distressed. “Let’s be thankful that we already have something. We’ll get there, let’s take baby steps.” She adds. Nayeon wanted to cry but she knows it wasn’t the appropriate time for her to cry. 

“Everything’s going to be alright.” Says Nayeon to calm the younger girls. "All of this will be over soon." She adds.


Kim Dahyun’s Point of View

 

“Yeah, don’t worry so much about us.” I answer Momo’s call from the other line. 

“Are you sure you don’t want anyone to come to pick you up from the hospital?” She asked, she was obviously concerned but I don’t really want to bother them. I was outside, in the hall, I don’t really want to bother Sana. She was inside, just sitting on her bed. 

“Anyway, I’ll hang up now. Okay? I’ll take care of her. Don’t worry about it.” I tell Momo and hang up. I entered the room expecting Sana to be asleep, but there she was, watching television. I just sat far away from her, I am willing to give her the space she needs. Every now and then I would steal glances, I just hope she didn't notice anything. 

“How long have we been here, Dahyun-ah?” She asked, she sounded soft. I stare at her, it’s the first time she’s conversed with me in weeks. I couldn’t believe it. 

“Almost a day now.” I replied, I was still seated right across her. I was relatively far away from her, but the room was quiet so she could hear me. “How are you feeling?” I ask, I was genuinely curious as to how she was. 

“I feel so much better now, can we go home? I hate it here.” She says this in a way that somehow pained me. Seeing Sana in a hospital bed with bruises just breaks my heart. I looked at her, her cheeks were flushed. 

“The doctor said you can be released tomorrow morning.” I say this and look down at my phone. I feel a little awkwardness between us and its thickness is outstanding. She was silent for a while, it won’t be dinner for a while. Still a little over two hours before dinner, should I leave her here? That doesn’t sound so good. 

“Hey.” I call her attention, she immediately lifts her head up and stares at me. She had this look on her face which seemed as if she was expecting me to make the first move. I breathed out, I’m still a little freaked out with what happened last night. 

“Can I sit beside you?” I ask her. 

I do not know whether it’s just me but for a split second, I see her smile. Maybe it really was just me. 

“Yes, of course.” She smiled and tapped the seat beside her bed. Of course, I take the seat. I was happy that she agreed, it’s nice being near her. “You should’ve asked sooner.” She whispered. 

I looked up immediately, I was a little shaken with what she said. I feel my cheeks become hot. 

“What?” I asked almost all too immediately too. 

“What?” She asked too, she had this coy look on her face. 

We were silent for a while, I was just there sitting beside her but it wasn’t uncomfortable. It was something that was pleasant, given the fact that I was seated close to her. It was nice. I can’t complain. 

“Kim Dahyun.” she calls my attention. I immediately stared at her, not really saying anything. “Thanks for being there when it happened.” She sounds embarrassed when she says this, it’s as if she didn’t really want to say anything. 

“Yeah.” That was all I could say. I was embarrassed to admit I was there, it’s as if I was stalking her. But that wasn’t really what I was doing. Actually, I asked Tzuyu if I could be the one to take Sana home last night, but I ed up. I ed up so badly. 

“About what happened---” I cut her off immediately, I knew what she meant and I just wanted to get ahead before she said anything about it. 

“I’m sorry for everything that I’ve said. I’m stupid, I wish you’d forgive me.” I huffed, it felt as if words spilled out of my mouth. They kept coming without censor, my apologies are true. She stared at me, it seemed as if she was a little taken aback with the aggressiveness of my tone. 

Instead of replying, I feel her reach for my hand. 

“I missed you so much. It hurt to see you around and not being able to talk to you, it felt like I was being punished for being selfish.” Words came out of my mouth like bullets, filtering wasn’t an option. 

“Kim Dahyun.” She tries to stop me.

“If I could apologize to you a thousand times, I would do it. I miss you and I can’t imagine living every day knowing that I’ve hurt you.” I plead, holding her hand tighter. Now I’m just looking down, it’s because I feel tears start to form in my eyes. 

“I forgive you.” She says this so easily and it felt as if a big chunk of weight has been lifted off of me. "I missed you too." She whispers.