-29-

My Secret

a/n: Thanks for the feedback in the comments and also via my DMs! I have decided to ease the reader's pain a little (Because of the dragginess of my story) and combined 2 chapters into 1! So, this chapter's a little longer than ususal :) 

 

+ Double release, chapter 29 & 30~~~~

 

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

“Do you know what happened to Bae Joohyun, your neighbor?” Seulgi asked. Or maybe she shouldn’t have because Irene now had a smirk on her face.

 

“You care about her a lot, don’t you?” Irene hummed and walked towards Seulgi.

 

Seulgi clenched her jaw. She thought she would forgive Irene since she was so professional, but she took it back. She hates her. She hates how the latter plays.

 

“I have one condition though~” Irene leaned forward and whispered into Seulgi’s ear.

 

“W-what is it?” Seulgi shuddered; Irene’s breath tickling her ears.

 

“Come to my apartment and I’ll tell you.” Irene gave the latter a wink before walking off.

 

.

 

Moonbyul had her suspicions when Irene told her that she need not take any detours to Seulgi’s dorm. But she did not want to ask more to confirm her suspicions. She rather not.

 

Once they were in Irene’s room, she shut the curtains and went to prepare the bath.

 

“Are you going to tell me or not?” Seulgi asked with annoyance in her tone.

 

“Patience my dear.” Irene hummed.

 

“I am not your dear.” Seulgi growled, she mono-lid and dark orbs making her glare look more menacing than it was.

 

Seulgi knew that Irene was a cunning lady and it would take more than a simple question to get an answer. Seulgi expected requests like ‘massage me’ or ‘pay for dinner’ but definatly not what Irene was asking of next.

 

“Bathe me.”

 

Seulgi’s jaw dropped. She blinked a few times, trying to process if she heard her wrong or not.

 

“Come on, take my clothes off and bathe me.” Irene urged playfully.

 

“N-No!” Seulgi stormed towards the door to leave.

 

“Do you want to know about Joohyun or not?” Irene tempted.

 

“It’s not worth it!” Seulgi snapped. Irene panicked. She did not want to lose sight of Seulgi again. Not when fate had reunited them in Paris out of all possible countries in Europe.

 

“She's here!” Irene blurted in a rush. Seulgi paused, her hand loosening from the door handle.

 

“What did you say?” Seulgi asked, her brows knitted together in a mix of anger and confusion.

 

“Bae Joohyun is here in Paris.” Irene sighed.

 

“Don’t lie to me, Irene.” Seulgi glared at her suspiciously.

 

“I’m not lying. I met up with her and I know where she is.”

 

“Where?”

 

“Bathe me first and then we’ll talk.”

 

.

 

[Bathroom]

 

Desperation takes people to new lengths. Seulgi adverted her gaze when Irene took off her bra and . She never looked back at her until she got into the bubble bath.

 

“Is this your first time seeing a body? Don’t tell me Joohyun is the only.” Irene scoffed.

 

“It’s not your business.” Seulgi snapped.

 

“21-year-old .” Irene taunted.

 

“I’m not-” Seulgi snapped.

 

"Oh? So you and Joohyun had..." Irene teased.

 

"I SAID NONE OF-" Seulgi spun her head around but chocked on her words when she saw Irene bare.

 

She snapped her head around again, but it was too late, the odd familiarity of Irene’s hair skin and petite body was already etched in her mind. This were the times she cursed at herself for being an artist who could remember the details.

 

Seulgi started by shampooing Irene’s hair. The latter had made a deal with her that if her service was satisfactory, she would continue to tell bits and pieces about Joohyun in the last 3 years that Seulgi was in Europe.

 

“Let’s start with when you left.”

 

Irene closed her eyes and recounted her memories but presented it as though it was Bae Joohyun that told her.

 

“The day you left, Joohyun did go to the airport. She watched from afar as you bid your family goodbye and disappeared behind customs.”

 

“How was she?” Seulgi asked.

 

“She cried. She almost collapsed in the airport if it were not for her friend who helped her. She was also still crying when I went to check up on her. She misses you and still do.”

 

Irene's tone sounded sad as she recollected about how Joy had to comfort her that day. To Seulgi, it sounded as though she was actually there. But the younger girl kept in mind that Irene was an actress and probably knew how to empathise. Seulgi kept silent and rinsed the soap off Irene’s hair.

 

“Joohyun also drank a lot alone. Sometimes that friend called Joy would go to her house to take care of her but most times she was alone. I was surprised she didn’t have friends from high school.”

 

“She told me. She…” Irene took a deep breath and then exhaled. “She told me she was so lonely. Her voice… so much sadness… even I can feel her pain to this day.”

 

Irene tried her best to not show expression or sound when those hands that she longed for were finally against her skin. She missed Seulgi dearly, she really did. And the fact that they were in this forbidden relationship only magnified the feelings that she was feeling. She wanted Seulgi. She needed Seulgi.

 

“Joohyun liked reading. She showed me her study room before. It’s full of books and the things she loved. Just like me, an actress who loved to experience the story, I do it through screen and she does through books. Tell me Seulgi, how is Joohyun to you?”

 

“S-she can be cute and sweet sometimes… but most of the times she’s cold, annoyed at me and snide with her remarks. She hates the popular kids.” Seulgi confided and was surprised after she did.

 

This was Irene’s first time hearing about herself from Seulgi. Did she leave that large of a percentage of bad experiences?

 

“Funny you say that because she’s such a er for romance.” Irene chuckled.

 

Seulgi smiled to herself while thinking back. Joohyun was kind of romantic… maybe?

 

Once she was done blowing Irene’s hair, she placed the dryer back to its holder and followed Irene out to the bedroom where she beckoned Seulgi to sit beside her.

 

“D-do you know why Joohyun cut ties with me then?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Your future. You’re one of the company’s best trainees Seulgi. Joohyun would never want to see her lover lose out on such a great opportunity. So she chose to let you go, cut herself out of your life. All because-“

 

“She knew that I would stay if she asked me to.” Seulgi completed her sentence and saw Irene’s eyes soften.


Irene nodded.

 

“The reason Joohyun’s here is because she wanted to see you.” The statement was a lie, Irene just needed an excuse.

 

“Why now? It’s been 3 years.”

 

“Precisely. I told her it was crazy of her to leave things to fate. But she wanted to come. She still loves you a lot Seulgi. And she said if she were to meet you before she leaves then she’ll give you another chance… because it was meant to be.” Irene lied about this part however there was some truth to it. Every time Irene traveled to a european country, she always hoped to meet Seulgi one day.

 

“A-and what if it doesn’t happen?! Tell me where she is now! I need to find her!” Seulgi said, her voice full of urgency.

 

"She's in this very hotel."

 

"What?" Seulgi paused at the door again and looked back at the woman. She scoffed. 

 

"Kang Seulgi, I am Bae Joohyun." Irene said with conviction in her voice.

 

But Kang Seulgi did not believe that. She didn't know what to feel. She thought Irene was messing with her again.

 

.

.

.

 

[Wendy and Seulgi's Apartment]

 

Wendy, who wanted to make up with her, watched as Seulgi spend the past 4 days going out early in the morning and coming back late at night only for a 2-3 hour nap before running out again. On the 5th day, Wendy finally caught the latter before she went out.

 

“Let go Wan. If it’s about our fight, I don’t have time for this.” Seulgi hissed and tried to jerk her hand away. However, Wendy had a pretty good grip on her.

 

“It’s not.” Wendy said sternly. “Look at yourself! Eye bags, messy hair… just over all disheveled... What’s going on?”

 

“I need to go Wan, I promise I’ll explain.” Seulgi pleased.

 

“No. You explain now or-“

 

“Or what?!” Seulgi snapped. The lack of sleep and frustration catching up to her.

 

“Or you’ll get ing expelled that’s what it is!” Wendy yelled back, taking Seulgi by surprised. Wendy only yelled and cursed when she was angry.

 

“Do you know how ing hard it is to cover your ? The school is going to suspect sooner or later! So you jolly well tell me what the you have been doing or I won’t let you!” Wendy demanded, her chest heaving up and down from that one breath she took to say it all.

 

Seulgi shoulder’s visibly slumped. She gave in to her best friend and headed back to the couch where they sat. Seulgi, with a warm cup of coffee that Wendy brewed for her.

 

“I met Irene because our company wanted us to collab for SM rookies. It’s purely for my promotion. But since Irene was Joohyun’s neighbor, I decided to ask. She said Joohyun was here, looking for me Wendy.”

 

Wendy was fuming. “You are not going anywhere.”

 

“What? Wan please I can’t waste my chances!” Seulgi begged.

 

“No! What Irene said is not true at all! Joohyun is not here, nor is she searching for you!”

 

“H-How’d you know?” Seulgi looked at her best friend, confused.

 

“God Seulgi I never wanted to tell you this but… God! Irene Bae is Bae Joohyun!” Wendy said while scrunching her hair in frustration.

 

“W-what…” Seulgi chuckled in disbelief, thinking that Irene and Wendy were trolling her.

 

“Irene Bae is just a screen name. All her friends know her as her birth name. You don’t know this because the media never published it. But Irene… She is Bae Joohyun.”

 

Seulgi felt nothing. Numb. But tears were trickling down her cheeks as Wendy spoke. Wendy could tell that the latter was still in disbelief.

 

“Come.” Wendy said while grabbing Seulgi’s wrist.

 

“I can’t bear to see you like this anymore. We are going to pay Irene a visit.”

 

.

 

[Shangri-La Hotel – Irene’s room]

 

Moonbyul was over in the morning to talk Irene through her schedules for next week when they heard the door pounding.

 

Moonbyul, annoyed, opened the door only to have Wendy barging in with Seulgi in tow.

 

“What the hell?!” Moonbyul exclaimed.

 

“Irene Bae you !” Wendy barked and shoved her. Irene stumbled but was cushioned by the bed while Moonbyul tried her best to hold the mad woman back.

 

“If you don’t stop, I’m going to have to call security!” Moonbyul threatened and it worked. Wendy stopped and went back to Seulgi’s side. Moonbyul instantly knew things were going to go downhill.

 

“Tell her Irene, tell her who you really are.” Wendy hissed while pointing to Seulgi, who looked very much worse than she last saw her.

 

“Please lea-“ Moonbyul was interrupted by Irene raising a hand to tell her to leave.

 

“B-But-“

 

“Byul…” Irene exhaled. The manager bit her tongue and left them. Wendy also left as well. She believed that Irene and Seulgi needed to sort this out themselves.

 

Seulgi watched as Irene walked to the toilet to remove her contacts. She returned and started to clean off her makeup. In that silence before she spoke, she was building up her emotional defenses before the war. Not as Irene Bae but as Bae Joohyun.

 

“What did Wendy tell you?” Irene asked.

 

“T-that you’re Joohyun.” Seulgi answered.

 

“So you finally came around to believe my words.” Irene looked up Seulgi’s reflection in the mirror before continuing to see if she missed any spot of makeup on her face.

 

Irene was holding back her emotions, trying to maintain her composure. But to Seulgi, it sounded cold. Hearing Irene bae Joohyun speak to her in such a cold manner hurt her heart. Seulgi could already feel the tears returning to her eyes.

 

"Why?" Seulgi asked.

 

“Why? Why would you keep it from me? Why are you playing me? Why didn’t you just tell me earlier?” Seulgi’s voice became hoarse with every question she asked. Irene felt a pang in her heart. She hated it when Seulgi cried and it was annoying the hell out of her. She made Seulgi cry.

 

"I was planning to tell you eventually. I did. but for before... I... I needed more time to sort myself out." Irene confessed.

 

"More time?! High school was 3 ing years ago! And you just had to play me before you confessed?!" Seulgi snapped. 

 

"Look! I thought maybe you'd lost interest in Bae Joohyun in the 3 years that you were away. And for the teasing... I just wanted to see if you still loved me. I wanted confirmation." Irene explained. 

 

"You're selfish. If you told me while we were still in Korea, you knew I would've stayed." Seulgi growled bitterly.

 

“I can’t. Both of us live in different worlds Seulgi. Think about it. I am a celebrity and you are a trainee. Dating in the company is not allowed even more so dating a celebrity in the same company. Also have you thought what the public would think of us?”

 

“You only think about yourself!” Seulgi snapped. “All these times you only cared about your own feelings! Your own benefit! You never loved me!”

 

“You’re wrong!” Irene clapped back. “Even if they found out about use dating, nothing would happen to me. You know why? Because they’d just kick you out of the company. Do you think I want that? No! So when the news of you going to University came, I thought it was better to cut ties there and then...”

 

“Then have you ever thought about how I would feel? I never wanted to leave you! I never wanted to come to Europe for some dumb degree!”

 

“I-I-I did think about your feelings. I- I thought about h-how w-was I going t-to tell you that I-I'm Irene Bae? T-the Irene bae that you h-hated... I- I didn't know how!" Irene heaved through her ragged breaths. She was desperate to explain everything to Seulgi. She needed to.

 

Seulgi suddenly felt bad thinking back to when she'd be cold to Irene for treating her too well. Irene was Joohyun. That was why she treated her well. Seulgi's heart felt the ache but her mind was still not having it.

 

"I- I wanted you t-to stay... I couldn’t do anything.” Irene dropped to her knees and started to sob.

 

“Oh? You did? I find everything you say quite hard to believe now.” Seulgi chuckled bitterly as beads of water trickled down her cheeks as well.

 

“W-whatever I-I said.. T-that day in this hotel, I meant it wholeheartedly… I- I really do… I miss you… and I missed you badly to the point that I could die.” Irene tried to convey as best as she could.

 

“Then why didn’t you stop me? Why Joohyun?” Seulgi asked again, in a gentler tone.

 

“B-b-because… I couldn’t… I-I t-tried… I-I couldn’t” Irene uttered; the disappointment prominent in her voice. Irene allowed her breathing to stabilize before speaking again. “Even if you wanted to stop it, you couldn’t. There was never a choice for you and I.”

 

“What do you mean?” Seulgi asked, now confused. Irene only shook her head. She already hurt Seulgi and couldn’t bear to bring more despair to her. How was Irene going to tell Seulgi that her best friend planned it out? 

 

If Irene thought that she was smart, Wendy was smarter. She didn't expect the younger girl to snitch on her first. Now that Wendy stole her chance at the reveal, Irene was the one feeling the brunt of this whole situtation.

 

"Joohyun. What do you mean we don't have a choice?" Seulgi asked again, kneeling beside the distraught woman. This was when the front door flung open and Moonbyul dragged Wendy in with her. They had been eavesdropping at the scream fighting.

 

"Tell her." Moonbyul demanded. But when Wendy looked into Seulgi's pair of concerned and confused eyes, nothing came out from .

 

Moonbyul rolled her eyes.

 

“Because the Son family’s daughter bribed Lee Sooman to send you here. Her elaborate plan to get you as far away as possible from Irene.” The manager finished for Irene.

 

Seulgi snapped her head towards the person she called her best friend. The best friend she trusted and confessed almost everything to. That best friend now refused to look at her.

 

“I-is that true?” Seulgi stammered, standing up and walking towards Wendy. She wanted to believe that Wendy didn’t do this.

 

“I’m so sorry Seul.” Wendy apologized.

 

Seulgi stopped dead in her tracts and cupped her face. At that moment, she felt helpless, trapped, powerless. It seemed to her that nothing in her life was planned out of her own will. Irene had a say in their relationship and now she learns that her getting her degree was all because of Wendy.

 

“Why is everyone so ing selfish!” Seulgi screamed before bolting out of the hotel room.

 

“S-seulgi!” Wendy yelled and gave chase while Irene could only continue to sob.

 

Moonbyul walked over to her friend and helped her onto the bed. She pulled her into her embrace and caressed the younger girl’s head in hopes of soothing her heartache.