-25-

My Secret

Irene knew that Krystal planned it. The other actress confessed after the evaluations had ended that she had suggested Seulgi to sing the song. Irene on the other hand was a little furious. A little furious at how krystal could have sabotaged her true identity when she mentioned about that song, which happen to be very similar to what Seulgi and Joohyun was experiencing.

 

The other thing that Irene was furious about was her needing to go to school and act like she didn’t know anything around Seulgi. It hurt whenever Irene saw Seulgi frowning and faking a smile around campus. But Irene still said nothing to Seulgi, not until graduation day.

 

Irene was not looking forward to graduation day but knew she had to fake a smile for it. Moonbyul was over at Irene's house and in the dressing room with her, helping with adjusting her uniform and being the 'proud mum' that she was. 

 

"Your parents really wanted to come to your graduation." Moonbyul said.

 

"No, definately not. I don't want them seeing that their daughter is some loser in school when i have been telling them that I am good. Plus, Irene Bae's parents can't appear in Bae Joohyun's graduation." Irene grumbled. Thinking of how she had to have a separate ceremony with her other friends and family because of that darned secrecy contract with her company.

 

"And Kang Seulgi? What are you planning to do with her now? You literally ghosted her for 3 months." Moonbyul asked.

 

"I... I don't know..." Irene sighed and sat on the high stool and looking into the mall face mirror on her island counter. 

 

"It's not like you to have any plans or some sort. But Joohyun, maybe you should try telling Seulgi." Moonbyul suggested. 

 

"And let her hate me? I have been avoiding that! Now with everything that happened, she only piled her hate on Irene bae. If I told her now, she'd only hate me more!" Irene whined.

 

"What are you planning to do? Continue living the double life? Irene, once you graduate and with the schedules that are still pending, you will have no time to even be Bae Joohyun anymore." Moonbyul reminded, only making Irene whine more. 

 

"Alright... I'll think about it on the drive to school. Maybe I'll tell her." Irene sighed and dragged her feet out of the house.

 

.

 

Everyone was taking pictures with everybody, even Bae Joohyun. But Irene had other things on her mind. After the person was done with the photo, Irene scampered away in search of one person – Kang Seulgi. Irene just felt the need to say goodbye.

 

“Seulgi? I don’t know.” Sunmi answered nonchalantly. Irene was a little pissed that those ‘friends’ of hers didn’t even care that she was not with them.
 

Irene was ducking and squeezing her way around, trying her best to spot Seulgi among the sea of identical uniforms. To her dismay, it seemed that Seulgi wasn’t anywhere. She spotted Wendy but the new girl in school who racked up a good record in such a short time, had friends from her previous and current schools swarming at her. Irene decided to go to the second level and get a bird’s eye view. Again, it was fruitless.

 

“Where is she-“ Irene suddenly got an idea. She followed her instincts and towards the garden and found Seulgi sitting there by herself.

 

“I knew you’d be here.” Seulgi said with a smile.

 

“I knew you’d be here too. Hey.” Irene replied.

 

“I-I’m sorry I have been ignoring you in school…” Irene said with a voice full of guilt.

 

Seulgi shook her head.

 

“It’s fine. I deserved it.” She chuckled bitterly.

 

Irene wanted to, so badly, deny what Seulgi was saying. She didn’t deserve it. It wasn’t even her fault in the first place. Irene wanted to explain to her about why she wanted to avoid her, but she felt like can’t. She couldn't reveal it on graduation day tht she was the celebrity that Seulgi very much hated. She didn't want Seulgi to feel that her whole school year was a lie. Irene realised she needed more time than she thought.

 

“I… I wanted to say goodbye before I leave.” Irene explained.

 

“I also wanted to do that.” Seulgi answered as she walked towards the older girl.

 

They were now standing an arm’s length in front of each other.

 

“I have an important question for you Joohyun.” Seulgi said after their short silence. “Will I ever get to see you again? Will I have another chance?”

 

Irene adverted her gaze and chewed on her lip. “I…”

 

“I would love to know your answer, Joohyun.”

 

“Why?” Irene blurted.

 

“Because… Because I want to know if I should stay or move on… Joohyun… I am leaving for Europe for University.”

 

.

 

[SM Entertainment]

 

“Irene… Irene Bae Joohyun!” Moonbyul yelled as she tried her best to catch up with the fuming woman.

 

The manager was unaware as to why Irene was so pissed. Once she got into the car, she demanded Moonbyul to drive her to SM Entertainment, even though she was still in her graduation gown and uniform. Moonbyul was not giving in at first but when the latter threatened to jump out of the car and was about to follow through, Moonbyul took that detour.

 

Irene burst through the doors of the CEO’s office and slammed her hands against his desk, causing the old man to jump in his seat.

 

“You didn’t tell me that you are funding for Seulgi to study in Europe. Why? Aren’t you planning to debut her?” Irene questioned.

 

“Calm down, Irene!” Moonbyul hissed and grabbed her shoulder.

 

Irene jerked her shoulder away. “Her course is 4 years. It’s not like you to do this. What are you planning?”

 

“Why do you care about her?” He asked.

 

“Answer.me.” Irene demanded.

 

“Irene. Please remember that you are talking to your boss.” Mr. Lee warned. Irene sharply inhaled and then exhaled as she backed away.

 

"Seulgi is a friend in school I care about. I'm sorry for losing my temper."

 

“The Sons have offered a great deal of money to send their daughter and Seulgi to Europe. They wanted Seulgi to have a university degree before debuting. This was all mutually agreed.” He explained.

 

"Even with Seulgi?"

 

"No. She just has to know that the compnay is sending her to Europe." 

 

Irene clenched her jaw thinking about how Wendy was also playing behind Seulgi's back. But the actress knew to not lose her temper again. She nodded, apologized again for her rudeness and then thanked the director.

 

“Freaking Wendy Son!” Irene cursed under her breath as she grabbed Moonbyul back to the car.

 

.

 

[Seoul Forest Trimage – Irene’s/ Joohyun’s home]

 

Irene banged on the door until Wendy opened it.

 

“I have a doorbell for god’s sake.” Wendy grumbled.


Irene immediately grabbed her by the collar and stared at her.

 

You ing .” Irene hissed.

 

“Hey, you’ll be charged for manhandling a minor.” The 18-year-old taunted.

 

Irene shoved her away at that threat.

 

“You must’ve heard I’m taking Seulgi with me to Europe.” Wendy guessed with a victorious smug on her face.

 

“Why are you trying to break us up?” Irene growled.

 

“Because you’re a player. A .” Wendy fired. “Do I need to say more?”

 

“You can’t just base me on that. What if I told you I changed?” Irene defended.

 

“Then come clean to Seulgi. Tell her the truth. You’re meeting her later, aren’t you? Tell her you’re Irene Bae. Tell her that you are Irene bae, the player and not just Irene bae the actress.” Wendy said, knowing full well that Irene would not be able to do it.

 

.

 

[Seoul Forest Trimage – Irene’s/ Joohyun’s home]

 

Joohyun had told her that she did not have an answer yet and would give her one when she came to her home. So here Seulgi was, fiddling with her fingers – her nervous habit – contemplating on whether she should knock or press the bell.

 

Irene went to check her door the nth time within the hour and this time, saw Seulgi outside. The latter was about to press the bell when the door opened.

 

“Come in.” Joohyun said.

 

Seulgi could smell the alcohol. The latter was drinking soju again but Seulgi knew that it was to calm her nerves.

 

Seulgi barely got to settle down when Joohyun shoved her against the wall and kissed her. Seulgi did not take long to recover and returned the kiss with the same amount of passion Joohyun gave her.

 

Irene was the first to pull away. She told Seulgi to take a seat.

 

“S-so Joohyun… have you gotten your answer?” Seulgi asked as she sat uneasily on the couch.

 

Irene took another shot before moving her drinks to the coffee table. She sat beside Seulgi and leaned her shoulder against Seulgi’s. Irene still didn’t answer so Seulgi let her sit there in silence.

 

There were many things going through Irene’s mind. Seulgi’s smile; eyes; nose; lips; smell; the memories, all the good and bad ones. They were all circulating in Irene’s mind. But they were just memories. Seulgi was turning 19 next year. She’s still young and have the world ahead of her. Seulgi was too young to be bound by the commitment called love.  Furthermore, Irene new she couldn’t play 'Joohyun' forever. It was better having Seulgi just leave than to have the love of her life hate her and leave. Irene swore she’d die from the heartache.

 

Her decision was this: 

- She did not want Seulgi to find out that she was Irene bae. Not yet at least. There were many possibilities that can happen if Seulgi found out. The biggest one was the possibility of Seulgi quitting the company if she were to feel cheated of her emotions. Irene did not want that. 

- She did not want to hold Seulgi back from her education and a chance at debut. Seulgi worked too hard to be in SM and get into SM rookies to leave now. 

- She loved Seulgi a lot but she knew she needed to let go. It was for the greater good. 

 

.

 

“No.”

 

“No?” Seulgi repeated.

 

Iren turned to face her.

 

“After today, you will not see Bae Joohyun ever again.”

 

That answer sent Seulgi away to Europe for the next 4 years of her life.

 

.

 

[Triple X Bar]

 

Irene felt like the unluckiest on the earth, plauged with drama. Bae Joohyun messed up their initial relationship; Bae Joohyun lost her first love; Seulgi hates Irene Bae; and now Seulgi is leaving for Europe all because of Wendy. The worst part of all this was Irene letting Seulgi go.

 

"WHaT?! YoU LEt HeR gO?!" Joy shrieked. Meanwhile Moonbyul massaged her temples in frustration and Krystal's jaw dropped. All of them staring at the sobbing woman in disbelief.

 

"What can I do?! Wendy wanted me to reveal it to Seulgi but it would be too sudden if I did! What if she ends up hating me? I've been living a lie for a whole year; Seulgi is going to feel betrayed." Irene reasoned. 

 

"I-I mean yeah... but Irene! 4 years! It's not short you know? At least if she stayed, you both can work it out. I can see she loves you a Irene." Krystal added. 

 

"Then that'll be selfish for me wouldn't it? I am robbing her a chance at debut if I make her stay." Irene chuckled bitterly. 

 

"But you are not giving Seulgi a choice. Don't you think you are still being selfish? How rich is this Son family anyway?!" Krystal huffed. 

 

"Very." Irene, Joy and Moonbyul replied.

 

"Trust me, I weighed the pros and cons of making her stay. It's love and hapiness versus hate, lies, f-feeling betrayal, q-quit..quiting t-the com-p-pany, n-never see-ing h-her a-a-again-" 

 

"Hush now baby, it's okay, we get it." Joy hugged the sobbing woman tightly.

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A/n: Chapter 25... oof about 6 (maybe more) chapters to the end!! Thank you guys for the UPVOTES and SUBSCRIPTIONS, as well as SUPPORTING my story!! :D 

 

I LOVE YOU ALL <3