-23-

My Secret

“What?! Kang. Seul. Gi what did you say?!” Wendy gasped with her eyes almost popping out of her head.

 

“I… Joohyun was just comforting me because I broke up with Taeyong b-but… One thing led to another…” Seulgi trailed off and bit her lip in embarrassment. Her best friend on the other hand was not taking that information in too well.

 

"Aren't you moving too fast?!" Wendy snapped. 

 

"Calm down Wan. And that's the weird thing, I know but I just felt a connection... as though i have known her all my life. I trust her." Seulgi said, to Wendy's horror, with a voice full of conviction. 

 

"No Seul... You need to snap out of your fantasies. Ir- Bae Joohyun is just.... You dont even know her!" Wendy said in exasperation. 

 

"Wan, why are you so against this? You always said you'd support me in everything." Seulgi frowned. 

 

Wendy was speechless. She couldn't believe her own words came to bit her back in this way. A mere girl Seulgi met early in the year was able to put their years of friendship in second. Wendy told Irene to keep away from Seulgi. She warned her but now Irene had broken the deal. The angry best friend made her way up to the 40th floor once she had sent Seulgi off and banged on Irene’s door. The groggy girl shuffled out of her bed and looked at her doorbell monitor only to see Wendy.

 

Irene’s door creaked open slowly, but Wendy pushed herself in.

 

“What the heck?!” Irene hissed when she almost stumbled. “Did I say come in yet?”

 

“You didn’t keep your end of the deal Joohyun.” Wendy snapped.

 

“What deal? What are you talking about?” Irene yawned.

 

“I told you not to touch Seulgi. And guess who came over as an embarrassed mess to tell me about it.”

 

“Who? Irene said, half awake.”

 

“Are you dumb, Irene?” Wendy fired again.

 

“Calm the down. Jesus you’re loud.” Irene complained.

 

“You ed her Irene. I told you not to put your dirty hands on Seulgi.” Wendy hissed and poked Irene at the mention of Seulgi’s name.

 

Irene, now awake, scoffed.

 

"What Seulgi and I do is not your business."

 

"IT IS MY BUSINESS!" Wendy snapped. 

 

"Why do you think so if you are just a mere friend?" Irene taunted with a smug look on her face. At this point, Wendy was almost ready to get physical. 

 

"S-So what if I do?! At least I am not selfish like you. If you really loved and cared for Seulgi, you'd do anything to keep her around. Even if it means remaning as friends."
 

"Get out Wendy, get out before I call security or worse… calling Seulgi to say her best friend is threatening the “Oh so poor” Joohyun.”

 

“You are such a you know that?” Wendy hissed and stepped out.

 

Wendy ruffled her hair in frustration. A part of her wanted to expose Irene but then she remembered how broken Seulgi was when she told her about her bad break up. Bae Joohyun fixed her in a night - that was something that even Wendy herself couldn't accomplish.

 

Plan A had to be put aside. Wendy knew exactly when she can execute her plan B.

 

.

 

[Seulgi’s home]

 

Seulgi walked out of her house to see a familiar Porsche waiting outside. The other residents were already gathered to see who it was for; it was not every day that they see a branded car in their village.

 

Irene took the car from Moonbyul – with permission this time of course. Moonbyul agreed but told her she could only drive on asphalt. She might have broke the rules when traveling through the dirt road to get to the village.

 

Once Irene saw Seulgi, she rolled her windows down and called her. Everyone was shocked, even her parents who came to see what the commotion was about. Seulgi quickly got in, face flushed in embarrassment. She yelled to give her mum and dad an explanation when she got home before the car revved up and sped away.

 

“Joohyun, why?” Seulgi cupped her face and exhaled.

 

“I need to impress my lover’s parents, right?” Irene chuckled.

 

“J-Joohyun! G-gosh... w-we aren’t even officially together yet. None of us confessed…” Seulgi bit her lip, blushing madly.

 

“Then should we make it official? Han river tonight after school?” Irene hummed.

 

Seulgi felt a smile crept up onto her face. “Tonight.” She repeated.

 

.

 

There was 3 months left to graduation. Joy’s words were echoing in Irene’s head louder as each day passes.

 

There will not be a time when you’re Seulgi’s Bae Joohyun anymore.

 

You’ll be Irene Bae once you graduate.

 

Irene shut her eyes tightly and tried her best to shake the thought off. Unfortunately for her, Her math teacher thought that she was dozing off again and sent her for detention. Irene doesn’t even bother fighting back. She thought maybe she needed that extra time to think.

 

Geography was next. Irene headed to that class and took her usual sit. Today was a little different. Her strict teacher came in a little later and with a new student by her side.

 

“Class, settle down. I have something to announce.” He bellowed.

 

“We have a new student, she’s from Canada. Please help us welcome Son Seung Wan or you can also call her-“

 

“Wendy?!” Irene blurted a bit too loudly.

 

“That’s right. It seems you two know each other Ms. Bae.” He smiled.

 

“No, I don’t” Irene tried to deny.

 

“I’ve seen her in the lift a bunch.” Wendy rebutted.

 

“Then that’s decided! Go take a seat beside Irene, Wendy.”

 

Wendy smirked and walked towards the older girl, whose eyes were screaming for help.

 

.

 

Wendy stuck to Seulgi like a magnet. She never let the latter out of her sight and would always chase the boys away when they got a little too personal with Seulgi for her liking. She was also doing that to Irene.

 

Irene thought she’d had the chance to catch Seulgi after school but that was not the case again. She and Seulgi were supposed to meet that night but at 7pm. It was no surprise that Seulgi would get into the car with Wendy when school ended at 3pm. If only the math teacher didn’t send her here, then she’d be going with Joohyun already.

 

7pm. Seulgi still hasn’t replied her while Irene was already waiting at their meet up point.

 

7:15pm. Irene texted Seulgi about her whereabouts again but still no reply. She decided to go get their snacks first.

 

7:30pm. Seulgi hasn’t replied and Irene started munch on a chocolate bread that she bought.

 

8pm. Seulgi hasn’t replied nor turned up.

 

There will not be a time when you’re Seulgi’s Bae Joohyun anymore.

 

You’ll be Irene Bae once you graduate.

 

Joy’s voice resonated in her head again. Irene gave up on waiting and headed home feeling pissed.

 

.

 

Seulgi woke up from her nap in Wendy’s room to see the sky already dark. She immediately sprang up, gave a look at the clock before spewing vulgarities while she collected the items around Seung wan’s room.

 

“Joohyun!” Seulgi called out and snapped her head around, trying to find the latter through the dark.

 

However, there was no sight of her. Seulgi cursed and ran back towards the trimage.

 

I ed up. I ed up. I ed up.

 

Those three words boomed in Seulgi’s head even until she reached Joohyun’s door.

 

Irene clicked her tongue in annoyance at the continuous ringing of the doorbell at 11pm. She clicked her doorbell screen and saw Seulgi at the other side. She contemplated if she should open the door.

 

“Joohyun!” Seulgi blurted in relief to see the latter home and safe. She hugged the older girl tightly.

 

Irene return it. She pushed Seulgi away.

 

“Sit. We need to talk.”

 

Seulgi shifted uncomfortably on the couch, ready to be hit or shouted at. But all Joohyun did was to offer her a cup of water and sat away from her, staring at her own glass.

 

Silence.

 

“Joohyun, I’m sorry.” Seulgi finally spoke. “I was at Wendy’s and I overslept. She also forgot to wake me up.”

 

“I know. I saw you get into the car with her after school.” Irene said monotonously.

 

“I really didn’t mean to ditch you, Joohyun.” Seulgi said, her voice more desperate. She watched as Joohyun just nodded.

 

“I think…” Irene exhaled and placed her cup on the table. “I think we shouldn’t do this. We might be moving too fast.”

 

“What?” Seulgi asked, looking confused.

 

“Think about it Seulgi. We did… that… before formally dating-“

 

“We can still date!” Seulgi blurted.

 

“But there’s only 3 months left. 3 months left before we graduate and go on our separate paths.” Irene said with a hint of frustration in her tone.

 

“I’m willing to make it work.” Seulgi said with conviction.

 

“It’s harder than you think Seulgi.” Irene shook her head.

 

Though Seulgi has feelings for Bae Joohyun, Seulgi absolutely dislikes Irene Bae. Irene was worried how Seulgi would react if she knew that she was dating a celebrity she hated. That also meant that Seulgi would know about her flings. What would she think of Irene then?

 

Irene was afraid.

 

“Joohyun, I’m really sorry! I really am. Please, give me a chance. Those words you said during first snow… you said you meant it right? So why… why are you going back on them now?” Seulgi asked, tears starting to well up in her eyes.

 

Irene regretted it. Her heart felt like it was being squeezed to the point that it would explode. Curse her and . Curse her and her feelings. She should have kept mum about the fact that she liked Seulgi because she hates the hurt expression the latter has on her face right now.

 

“I do mean all of it. I do want to be together with you.” Irene admitted. “But I gave it some thought after you didn’t turn up. I realised that we were just moving too fast, with you just breaking up and then and then getting together... It's... It's not you. It's me. I should have thought about the consequences... I-... We should just revert to the old us.”

 

“J-Joohyun… What consequences? What do you mean?”

 

“I... I can't tell you... I'm just not ready emotionally and you won't be too. I-it's for the best, Seulgi. I think we should go to bed.” Irene said while looking at the clock. 12am. “You can stay, going home at this timing would be too dangerous.”

 

Irene got up and finished the water left in her cup and brought it towards the kitchen. Seulgi watched the petite figure in her oversized shirt. Oh, how she wished she could go over and hug her right now. Seulgi truly loved Joohyun but only realized it too late. And now, she feels like the trust between them was broken again.

 

Seulgi was confused. She had so many questions she wanted to ask Joohyun but seeing the older girl looked so distraught made her hold herself back.

 

“I-if… If I turned up on time, would you have gotten together with me?” Seulgi asked before Joohyun entered her room.

 

“I would.” The latter replied and closed the door behind her. Seulgi felt immense regret being weighed down on her. She felt her lungs tighten as tears trickled down her cheeks. Her hearing Joohyun sob only magnified her own as well.

 

How in the world could a relationship be so complicated?

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: oof,  Irene having second thoughts... and the last boss of the drama: Level Wendy

 

Is it weird that I am also loving all this drama and getting all worked up over this? :P Anyways, Double Release! Chapter 23 & 24!!