-24-

My Secret

a/n: Double Release! Chapter 23 & 24!! 

 

 

 

When Joohyun said revert to their past, she followed through. Various times Seulgi tried to talk to her but she just ignored her. Wendy, and her oh-so-convenient transfer into the school also helped by distracting Seulgi from her. Her previously better reputation was now back to ‘Joohyun the outcast’. Joohyun was dead set on graduating and leaving this damned school.

 

Joohyun was studying alone past school hours in the library when someone came to join her at the table.

 

“Long time no see Irene Bae.”

 

Irene’s eyes widened and snapped her head up only to be met with Wendy and her smirk.

 

“DON'T call me that in school.” She hissed.

 

“Don’t worry, we are alone.” Wendy whispered with a chuckle.

 

“ off.” Irene growled. But Wendy wasn’t one to back down. She wanted to see Irene angry, torture her and see her blow up. It was her punishment for breaking the promise and ultimately hurting Seulgi.

 

“Why are you still on my tail? Seulgi and I are not even seeing each other anymore.” Irene sighed.

 

“Of course, I know. I’m just here to tell you that I didn’t wake her up on purpose.” Irene swore she would be slapping that grin off of Wendy now if it weren’t for the librarian still being here.

 

“I know Seulgi is still in SM Entertainment. Please continue keeping away from her or risk your dirty secrets being spilled from your mouth.” Wendy warned.

 

Irene scoffed in disbelief. The girl, who looked so kind and even helped her with moving, was now revealing the devil underneath.

 

“Aren’t we both the same?” Irene let out a bitter chuckle. Wendy looked at Irene with furrowed brows.

 

“We snake at each other over the same girl.”

 

“I am not the same as you.” Wendy hissed. 

 

Irene scoffed with a victorious smile. Wendy provoked her first but she was now being provoked. 

 

"Anyway, I am also here for another reason." Wendy changed the topic. Irene raised her brow. 

 

"Let's partner up to get back at Taeyong."

 

Now that was somthing that Irene was more than happy to help out with.

 

The plan was something doable by Bae Joohyun without tarnishing herself as Irene Bae. Irene used her contract with the company director to her advantage. Since she didn't need to care about her as Bae Joohyun anymore, she could do whatever she want. 

 

Bae Joohyun shamlessly walked halls with Wendy, both with a stack of papers in their hand and scattered it around as they walked. It was a Regina George moment that they both enjoyed. Needless to say, when the students saw the pictures of the 'Woman beater' that Joy had fortunately captured, nothing came out good to Taeyong after that.

 

.

 

[Movie Set]

 

Irene studied in school partly because she had an hour before Moonbyul comes and pick her up for her schedule. She kind of dreads today. Reading the script, Irene knew she had a kiss scene, but it was one that was all too familiar. Forbidden love.

 

“Alright, I’ll set the mood.” The director announced. “Oh Min Hee (Irene’s character), loves Park Ji Hoon (Jackson Wang). However, he is going away for a long time if not, a permanent deployment.”

 

Irene knew all too well what this feeling was. She was doing great but when it came to the kiss scene, Irene’s vision got a little fuzzy. She blinked a few times and instead of Jackson, she saw Seulgi instead.

 

“N-No!” Irene blurted and pushed away.

 

“Cut!” The director yelled and asked Irene if she was okay. Jackson, being the gentleman he was, asked in concern as well.

 

“I-I think I am not feeling the right emotions. I-I’m sorry can I consult the script again? I want to make the scene a good one.” Irene explained. It was a great excuse to which the director also agreed. He gave them all a break.

 

Irene didn’t know if it was because of Jackson’s slim frame or because his hair was similar to that of Seulgi’s color but she thought she saw herself kissing Seulgi again. That was why she pushed away – she didn’t want to make the same mistakes. Unfortunately, this started the gears in Irene’s head and all she could think about was Seulgi. Irene cursed at herself mentally. To her dismay, the director called them back to shoot.

 

They started again. Same lines exchanged and same looks achieved. However, when it was nearing the kissing scene, Irene’s vision got blurry again. Seulgi appeared in front of her again. She realized that she was crying even though there was no need to in the script. Irene felt "Seulgi" grab her waist, closing the distance between them while Irene naturally cupped her hands on "Seulgi’s" cheek.

 

“I love you. I love you so so much.” She said in a whispered tone before sealing their lips together in a passionate kiss.

 

...

...

...

 

“Cut! Oh my god that was amazing, both of you!” He applauded.

 

Irene, realizing what happened, was embarrassed but could hide it behind the tissues that were handed to her. Meanwhile Jackson and the director were both talking about how good the scene was.

 

The only person who was not talking about it was Moonbyul. Standing in the corner and monitoring Irene, she knew the reasons behind those tears. She knew she needed to talk to Irene.

 

The manager had been checking up on Irene every now and then while driving. Irene always looked gloomy whenever she picked her up after school. She also noticed Seulgi never being around Irene and now Irene didn’t care to look at her phone anymore.

 

Yes. Irene had flings but Moonbyul knew that what Irene had for Kang Seulgi was different. She had never seen the celebrity so bothered about cutting off someone. Moonbyul even offered to call Jennie back from Thailand but Irene turned her offer down. She claimed she lost interest in that lifestyle.

 

"Kang Seulgi..." Moonbyul scoffed under her breath. A mere student yet, the power to move Irene's world.

 

.

 

[SM Entertainment]

 

Seulgi was experiencing a slump. Though the evaluators said that she was still doing well, Seulgi personally did not think that way. Seulgi was like a performer that was textbook trained. She copied, memorized and delivered but there was still something lacking.

 

“Lacking feeling.” A voice from behind said on cue.

 

Seulgi was stunned at the telepathy. She turned around to see her senior and immediately bowed. “G-good afternoon Krystal sunbae-nim.”

 

“You’ve been working hard. I have noticed your singing; great technique but no feeling.” Krystal explained. Though she may have been debuted as an actress, she was once trained as a vocalist too.

 

“M-may I ask how do I do that?” Seulgi said timidly.

 

“Through experience, Seulgi. Also, are you open for suggestion?” Krystal asked. Seulgi nodded.

 

“What about you sing ‘One of these nights’ for the final evaluation?” With that said, Krystal left for her meeting.

 

Seulgi stood in the middle of the room and fiddles with her microphone. She gave it a thought and decided to listen to the long that Krystal had recommended.

 

'Oh...' Seulgi mouthed.

 

.

 

Final evaluations were held twice a year to further pick the trainees that the company wanted to retain. These group consist of trainees that have been training in SM entertainment for 6 months or more and they were judged based on progress and improvement.

 

The same 5 judges were there to judge as well but the difference now was that Lee Sooman, the CEO himself was also there. The man was stricter, and it was rumored that 50 trainees out of the 60 were kicked out from a single evaluation a few years ago.

 

Krystal came in and sat beside Irene. The American-korean had a smirk on her face which perked Irene’s curiosity.

 

“Just wait and see.” She whispered.

 

“Oh, and here.” Krystal placed a packet of tissues in Irene’s hand.

 

An hour passed and Irene still hasn’t used those tissues. When they took a break, Irene questioned her again. “What is this and since when do you have so much free time to sit around?”

 

“It’s my off day but I asked Mr. Lee if I could come watch. He didn’t mind. And like I said. Just wait.”

 

“You know I don’t like to be kept curious, Jung Soo jung.” Irene growled.

 

“Gosh, you are no fun to tease at all.. This one is worth waiting for.” Krystal hints at Irene by pointing at the clipboard where the list of trainees was.

 

Kan Seul Gi.

 

Kang Seulgi was the last one to go up. When the song started playing, Krystal noticed Irene’s brow twitch.

 

(Chorus)

 

오래된 Story와 그 날에 멈춘 나

사랑한 시간보다 더 오래

이별하는 중인걸

 

은하수 너머에 아득히 먼 곳에

하얀 우리의 기억을 건너는 나

 

Translation:

I’ve stopped in that day with the old story

I’m going through heartache longer

than the times we loved

 

Past the Milky Way, in a faraway place

I’m going through our white memories

It’s alright if it’s just a dream

 

“…” Irene muttered under her breath and blinked a couple of times. Seulgi sang that song with so much heart put into that it almost felt like the song was made for her. It hit Irene harder because Seulgi was clearly thinking about Bae Joohyun when singing this.

 

Krystal took back her tissues because she was already crying. The latter did not expect Seulgi to do so well. Even the CEO was in shock because he found himself tearing up. Almost everyone stood up and cheered for Seulgi’s emotional performance. Seulgi herself was also sobbing at the end of it because of all that emotion.

 

"I want her in the SM rookies project." The Director announced. But then he leaned over to his assistant and whispered something. Though is was hushed, Irene's sensitive hearing caught every word loud and clearly. 

 

“Call the Sons. Say that we'll proceed with the agreement.”

 

The Sons? And what agreement? Irene thought to herself.