-6-

My Secret

Moonbyul was right. Irene burnt out barely a week after her movie filming started. The long filming hours, meeting for auditions plus the need to study for midterms were starting to take a toll on her. The manager saw an influx of drunken texts, emotional break downs and temper tantrums which she took the brunt of but never talked deeply about. She already knew how hopeless it was because Irene would just claim that she was okay.

 

“Irene… You need to chill…” Moonbyul nagged when she saw the latter reading her notes in the car when she’d usually be asleep.

 

“You know I can’t byul. It’ll really help if you just let me be.” Irene snapped irritably. Her manager could only sigh.

 

Irene didn’t even spare a glance when she left the car. In her head, she just wanted to be done with school and have the fun she had planned for herself in the night. She also didn’t acknowledge Seulgi, who was waving at her. Irene was just focused on her notes as she headed to the assembly area.

 

“Hey, what gives?” Yeri rubbed her shoulder when Irene accidentally collided with her. Irene didn’t apologise, she just walked away.

 

“Gosh, your crush has some issues…” Yeri grumbled as she walked to meet Seulgi.

 

“She.is.not.my.crush.” Seulgi hissed. Ever since she started meeting Joohyun, Yeri had been teasing her non-stop.

 

“Yea, yea. We all know you belong to Irene… in your dreams.” Yeri taunted and earned a slap on her arm.

 

.

 

Recess was a time when Seulgi would hang out with her friends but this time, she excused herself just so she could check up on Irene. It was a positive that she could leave. Sometimes seulgi just finds them... just... there. To be honest, Seulgi never felt a deeper connection with any of them other than superficial friendship. Also, Seulgi was genuinely worried for Joohyun because she noticed how irritated and tired the latter was this morning.

 

Seulgi thought that she’d find Joohyun in her usual spot in the library, but she wasn’t there. Instead of giving up her search, Seulgi decided she’d loiter around the school in hopes that she’d bump into her.

 

.

 

Irene found a quiet place in the school’s own eco garden on the 4th floor. This place was used by the gardening club, but Irene knew they wouldn’t come here unless it was on club days or after school. She had to give it to them. Even though the members don't come here as often, the place looked well-kept. Flowers were blooming beautifully and the scent from the little rose garden filled the air. Irene took a deep breath, allowing the seet smell to fill her nostrils before heaving a deep exhale.

 

She was finally alone.

 

It was there that Irene broke down.

 

“J-Joohyun?”

 

Irene jolted and quickly wiped her tears away before the person could come round to see her crying.

 

“W-what’s wrong?” Seulgi asked with concern in her voice.

 

“Nothing.” Irene said as she exhaled.

 

“You’re lyin-“
 

“Stop being so nosey!” Irene snapped irritably. “You are annoying you know? Can’t you leave me alone?!”

 

Irene, who expected Seulgi to be on her way was taken aback when she was was immediately met with embrace. She froze.

 

“No. How can I let my friend suffer by themself?” Seulgi said in a whispered tone.

 

“W-we are not friends.” Irene sniffled.

 

“Stop acting tough all the time Joohyun. It’s okay not to be okay.”

 

Those words, though simple and cliché, seem to hit Irene really hard. Her eyes started welling up.

 

“I know school hasn’t been the best experience for you and that you are trying your best…” Seulgi continued as her tightened the embraced. “But sometimes, it is okay to ask for help and show weakness. I'll be there for you whenever. Friends will always be.”

 

Irene felt the emotions bubbling in her chest. She was trying to hold her raw emotions in but Seulgi just couldn't shut that smart mouth of hers. It caused Irene to cross the threshold and she broke down - hard. She gripped onto Seulgi’s shirt and buried her face against the taller girl's shoulder, letting her pent up stresses and emotions out.

 

Irene realised that she actually needed someone to share these burdens with. She had Moonbyul, but Korea's top celeb's manager had enough things to worry about. And most, in fact all of her friends, being idols and owning a booming company, could barely find enough time to fully understand her. Irene is fully aware and extremely guilty of how much of a burden she was to them the past few weeks because of her meltdowns.

 

But Seulgi was the only one agressive, persistant enough to scale her walls and see the emotions behind it. She was one who was willing to patiently untangle the knots in hopes of getting to know her. Even though Irene kept her distance, she finds herself faltering because of Seulgi's genuineness. 

 

“There, there~” Seulgi hummed and caressed Irene’s back.

 

It took Irene a while to calm down, but she managed to before the hour was up. Irene apologized for the wet spot on Seulgi’s shoulder, but the latter shrugged it off.

 

“T-thanks… I owe you one.” Irene sniffled.

 

“What about repaying by being my friend?” Said the witty girl with a cheeky smile.

 

“Fine…” Irene sighed and agreed with a handshake.

 

.

 

“You’re looking cheery.” Moonbyul said with her brows raised when Irene entered the car humming a song.

 

“Hmm? I’m normal.” Irene simply replied.

 

Moonbyul didn’t question further. As long as the woman was happy, she was too. She had a hunch that it got to do with this Seulgi girl she was waving to when they left the school. Irene never interacts with anyone. Also, Moonbyul noticed that Irene was on her phone a lot. She didn’t remember her texting so much.

 

“That Seulgi girl sure makes you happy huh?” Moonbyul couldn’t stop herself when she remembered that Irene was snapping at her just this morning.

 

“What was that supposed to mean? We are just friends.” Irene defended.

 

Friends? Didn’t think I would hear that word coming from your mouth Bae Joohyun. Last I remember, it was Irene who has them and not Joohyun.” Moonbyul teased.

 

“Don’t make me fire you, Moon.byul.i.” Irene glared.

 

Her manager just laughed at the empty threat.

 

Irene being in high spirits benefitted her filming. The latter said the lines flawlessly and they managed to finish the filming early. This meant that Irene had time to go to the bar to grab some drinks.

 

[XXX Bar]

 

“Joy~”

 

The latter immediately picked up her phone to dial for Amber when her repeating guest came in for the 4th time this week.

 

“Code-“

 

“It’s not a code red this time. I want to hang out with you.”

 

Joy raised a brow and put down the phone she had midway to her ear. She gestured Irene to sit down on the sofa in her office while she finished up the last of her paperwork.

 

“What is it today?” Joy asked as she walked towards the in-built bar in her office. With a flick of a switch, the blue neon lights flickered on, out lining the shelves of liquor she had in her collection. It ranged from the cheap to the pricey.

 

Joy was passionate about bartending; it was how she worked to the top afterall. The in-built bar which she spent a fortune on was her pride and joy. The shelves were made out of high grade African black wood and to finish the look off, she got people to install a countertop made of black Italian marble. Irene had no interest in interior design but she took Joy's words for it.

 

“A martini will do.” Irene answered.

 

Joy nodded and went to work. She never failed to impress Irene with her skills and the fact that Irene only gets to see this every once in a while, made her appreciate more.

 

“So, what brings you here?” Joy asked as she served Irene her drink and made herself comfortable beside her.

 

“Nothing. Just got off work early and missed you.” Irene hummed.

 

Joy scoffed. She knew what Irene’s free time meant. Joy remembered how Irene had asked her to find out about this lady she saw in the bar a couple days ago when the latter actually remained sober. The owner walked towards her table and picked up a name card. She handed it to Irene who was grinning ear to ear.

 

“I am deeply bothered by how you seem to always use me for your capades. But it boggles my mind that you are so interested in her. I heard she’s not an easy one to control.” Joy said. She'd warn irene about how controlling the Thai CEO was but Irene didn’t mind. She loved herself a challenge.

 

Lalisa Manoban was the CEO of an investing firm which SM Entertainment was currently working with. Irene came to know about her when she saw the thai having a conversation with her company CEO. They made brief eye contact and the latter did not hesitate to send flirty signals towards Irene.

 

Irene on the other hand had an image to upkeep. She simply smiled at Lisa and walked away. However, that does not mean she did not have an interest towards her. Irene met her again at Triple X. She was actually there to drink her stress away but the chatter of thai language caught her attention. Irene and her briefly talked. She was the type of woman that Irene liked; a woman who wanted no strings attached. Unfortunately, both women missed out on the chance of exchanging contacts when Lisa had to go off to attend to an issue in her company.

 

Irene learned from Joy on that same day that Lisa had to go back to Thailand soon. Thus, before the Thai left for her home country, Irene sent her a text.