-18-

My Secret

[Seoul Forest Trimage - Wendy's House]

 

"You guys WHAT?!" Wendy gasped. 

 

"W-we kissed..." Seulgi uttered. 

 

"Oh god Seul, no... Tell me you didn't like it. Tell me." Wendy pleaded.

 

"I... I didn't like it but...I didn't not like it either..." 

 

"KANG SEULGI! You have a BOYFRIEND!" Wendy screamed, casuing Seulgi to jump again. Wendy then proceeded to give Seulgi a long lecture on the construct of a realtionship and the importance of loyalty and commitment. Her best friend also kept convincing her that she was better off with Taeyong than Bae Joohyun.

 

"He's your healer whenever you felt down or pissed at Irene. He was always there for you, as a man; as a boyfriend. Think about it Seulgi. Maybe those feelings for Joohyun was just because she lent you a listening ear. Don't confuse friendship with romance."

 

.

 

That kiss happened on a Friday and so Irene spent the first day of her weekend going mad. She couldn’t meet Seulgi face to face as Bae Joohyun, not when the younger girl kept rejecting her requests. So her only option was to send her long apology texts to which was ignored by Seulgi.

 

“!” She cursed again and threw her phone.

 

When the apple device bleeped, Irene already had it back in her hands within the second. But to her dismay, it was just one of those...s. 'NO.' Irene's thumbs crushed the send button and she proceeded to block them one by one and delete their numbers. Once finishing her raged deleting, just went straight to bed and left this issue for Bae Joohyun to deal with on Monday.

 

Saturday. Irene's turn as Irene Bae. She needed to go to the company to make up with Seulgi. During the car ride there, Irene was questioning her sanity. How did she manage to piss off the same person as two different people?

 

“You are insane indeed.” Moonbyul answered.

 

“D-d-did I think out loud?” Irene stammered.

 

“You always do.” Moonbyul scoffed. Maybe that was why the manager always knew so much.

 

Irene learnt – well, charmed her way to know – where Seulgi was practicing. She was having vocal practice today and that meant that she was alone in the trainee studios.

 

Knock knock.

 

Seulgi strode over and opened the door only to force it close when she saw the other person standing behind it. Irene shoved her purse in between the door and managed to get Seulgi to open it with the reasoning that Seulgi could not be able to pay if her prada bag was destroyed.

 

“W-what do you want?” Seulgi asked as nicely as possible.

 

“The chance to clear myself.” Irene said.

 

“I-I told you. I don’t want to be seen with you. The other trainees would be jealous! I don’t want them to talk behind my back.” Seulgi said.

 

“No one is here now Seulgi.” Irene said.

 

“You know what I mean.” Seulgi sighed.

 

Irene sat down and made herself comfortable in the room. Seulgi sighed again. It seems that Irene was not going to leave until she was given the chance to explain.

 

“Fine, explain. Why are you doing all this.”

 

“For my dedicated fan of course.” Irene teased.

 

“Leave.” Seulgi said.

 

“Okay okay!” Irene raised her hands. “I’m interested in you.”

 

"I... I dont know what you are saying... W-we barely met." Seulgi took a step away and created distance between her and Irene. Wendy’s warnings were blaring in her head now.

 

"It was love at first sight. We can always get to know each other right?" Irene said with the soft spoken tone she uses whenever she was on air. 

 

"I-I'm sorry but I-I would prefer if w-we remained a senior and a junior." Seulgi stammered. 

 

"Give me a chance Seulgi. I promise I will treat you right." Irene stood up, walking closer toward Seulgi until she cornered her against the wall.

 

"D-dating is prohibited in the company!" Seulgi blurted, knowing full well of her own sins.

 

“The audacity of you to say that when you are commiting the crime yourself. But I'll keep it a secret if you drop that Taeyong boy and date me.” Irene smirked.

 

“Back off!” Seulgi blurted and pushed her away.

 

“I don't want to be your girl toy! I-I’m not one of your… your s!” Seulgi yelled and ran out of the room.

 

Irene was a little taken aback, her mind cursing Wendy Son Seung Wan for ruining Seulgi's perception of Irene Bae. She gritted her teeth, took her bag and stormed out only to be met with the scowl of her manager. The disappointment of Moonbyul's face was prominent. She had warned Irene several times not to be so agressive with her approaches but it was a habit that was already deeply embedded in her personality. 

 

"A real relationship has it's own steps, Joohyun. What you try with your flings is most definately NOT how you deal with a woman. You need heart."

 

.

 

Seulgi turned heads when she ran out of the company building. She felt like she needed to get out before she was being taken advantage of. It seemed like that to her. Her legs took her all the way to the Han river where she let out a scream that was full of frustration.

 

First Joohyun coming to kiss her and now Korea’s top celebrity wanted to as well? What in the world was actually going on?

 

Seulgi was very conflicted. She didn’t hate that kiss with Joohyun but Wendy was right, she was dating Taeyong. The guilt welling up in her was eating her heart alive as every day flew by. She didn’t hate the kiss with Joohyun… That sentence was a whole problem by itself. Since when did she like Joohyun so much? Seulgi hated the feeling of butterflies in her stomach whenever she saw Joohyun in school. She wanted to avoid her, hate her and maybe these bubbling feelings in her abdomen would just leave. Seulgi had to keep reminding her self that she was Taeyong’s and Taeyong was hers.

 

The next issue: Irene. Wendy’s words were right. Irene was a different person than she was on screen. That was what, the once dedicated fan, was so conflicted about. Part of her was still in denial that Irene actually came onto her. This was not the Irene that she so much so admired.

 

Also, Seulgi didn’t want to date Irene. She only loved her only as an Idol. Now, her interest lies in Bae Joohyun – no. She can’t. She needs to remember that she was Taeyong’s.

 

.

 

[Seugi's Home]

 

Seulgi must've been too stressed yesterday. She didn't get enough sleep and now she's at home, on her bed, running a fever. Her family was out working, leaving Seulgi to care for herself. 

 

The person she messgaged was Wendy. But when the door bell rang, it was was a woman in a hoodie and shades. Seulgi'd recognised her anywhere. 

 

"What are you doing here?" The sickly girl scowled. 

 

"You didn't come for practice. I have my ways to find out where you live." Irene hummed as she invited herself in. 

 

"Get out of my house, Irene Bae." Seulgi hissed, disguted at the idol's cockiness.

 

"Hey, watch it there. I'm older you know? Call me unnie." Irene reminded. 

 

"I said get.out." Seulgi emphasised. She was about to speak again but only broke into a coughing fit. 

 

Irene grabbed a random cup and poured water for the girl to drink. Seulgi refused it. Why? Irene thought to herself. Moonbyul told her to have heart and she did just that. She did not cancel her schedules to make herbal soup for the latter fo nothing. However, her effots didn't seem to be working out.

 

"You are really stubborn aren't you?" Irene sighed. 

 

"So are you. Now get out. Wendy is coming. She will help me. I don't need you." Seulgi hissed. 

 

Wendy... Irene hated that name now. And Irene certainly cannot risk to be seen now. 

 

Irene sighed. She just wanted to come give Seulgi some medcine and soup that she made. But things just kept going south. Irene left the meds on the table and placed the pot of soup she brought over on to the stove. 

 

"Take it back. I don't need it." Seulgi said coldy. 

 

"Just have it." Irene insisted. 

 

"I said I.Don't.Want.It." Seulgi said through her clenched jaw. She was getting annoyed; Irene could feel it. 

 

"Fine then throw those away, pour that down the drain if you hate my help so much!" Irene snapped. To her surprise, Seulgi did just that. She did it all right in front of Irene who just stood there appalled.

 

"Stop. Stop pestering me... please..." Seulgi said with desperation in her voice. "You don't know what I am going through. You are not my only problem do you know that? I'm attached, committed! Then you and this other girl in school come on to me... making me all confused! God! I'm ing attached! Do you know how guilty I feel?! Don't you know this guilt is torturing me every single day?!" 


Irene just listened. 

 

"So please... Please leave me alone..." Seulgi croaked.

 

Irene didn't say anything else. She just left. 

 

When Wendy walked into Seulgi's room, the latter was already asleep. She went to prepare a pail of water and a cool cloth to alleviate Seulgi's fever. Wendy also noted Seulgi the puffiness of Seulgi's eyes. The latter had been crying. 

 

Wendy walked out to the kitchen to heat up the soup she bought. It was there when she saw a container that was carelessly dumped in the sink. Wendy decided to help clean up. She picked up the container and noticed a pink note stained with broth. 

 

'Get well soon!' - I.B (Signature) 

 

Wendy knew who it was from. She looked back into Seulgi's room with furrowed brows and wondered what Irene did to make Seulgi angry. Maybe Wendy really have to step in more to keep Seulgi safe from Irene Bae Joohyun.

 

Wendy: 

Dad. Can we talk?