-27-

My Secret

3 years after Seulgi left Korea

 

Irene was now 24. Her career was still booming and life for her was mostly normal. She doesn’t play around anymore, much to Moonbyul’s surprise and only focused on work and only went to the bar solely to find Joy or to drink among them friends. Irene's life may have been mundane but Moonbyul was happy to see Irene's mental and emotional health improve over the last few years. Moonbyul had Joy and Amber to thank for that. Whenever she'd be too caught up with meetings in the company, the Triple X Bar CEO and manager would take the initiative to make sure the celebrity had someone to depend on whenever she had a meltdown.

 

Without the burden of school, Irene was more focused and able to take up more jobs. This helped her to rack up portfolio points in Korean showbiz. However, her friends knew the unfortunate reason that she was doing this. It was all to distract herself from what hurt her the most - Losing Seulgi. With her ever growing popularity, Irene was able to gain more sponsorships. Moonbyul was at the trimage to pick Irene up for their next sponsor discussion.

 

“We are sending you to France as out brand ambassador during Paris fashion week.” The MIU MIU representative said. Irene was a little not too keen on that idea. She neither know how to speak English or French.

 

Moonbyul wasn't keen on it either. It was because she knew Seulgi was also studying in France. However, the manager always leaned towards the side of giving Irene the best promotional activities. 

 

Don't get the manager wrong. It wasn't her fault for not telling Irene. Irene was the one who forbade her to ever talk about Seulgi ever since she left 3 years ago.

 

“Krystal and her sister would be there too so you don’t have to freak out. They told me to pass the message to you and tell you to treat it as a vacation with them.” Moonbyul said. Irene nodded and relaxed herself.

 

“I guess we have a deal then. When do I fly off?”

 

They told Irene that she was going to fly off in 2 days. It was a rush but Irene still managed to find time to prep for the weather over there and search up some places that she wanted to go to. The Eiffel tower was definitely not one to miss. So was the Louvre museum.

 

“Will you be coming with me?” Irene asked Moonbyul. She shook her head.

 

“I’d practically be useless there. Krystal and Jessica would be receiving you-“

 

Irene sudenly hugged Moonbyul.

 

“Irene, what the hell? You’re being weird…” Moonbyul shuddered.

 

Irene did it because she had never gone for something without Moonbyul around to guide her. The manager was always there for her through thick and thin. Especially for the last three years when Irene needed someone around the most. Her Manager had been keeping her sane through her own healing. The thought of not having her by her side to depend on scared her a little. She was actually going to miss Moonbyul for those few days.

 

.

 

[Paris Collage of the Arts (PCA)]

 

There were perks as a modelling student. One of them was being able to attend the Paris Fashion Week and Seulgi was among the lucky 7. Each of the students were assigned to attend a day of fashion week and finish up a report that would have to be submited. Thankfully for Seulgi, it was a report she did not mind writing. Seulgi always had an interest in Fashion week and even dreamt of attending it. Now it was a reality, seeing big celebs rocking outfits from famous designers, new designer goods and new fashion inspiration. Seulgi was looking forward to seeing what Valentino and Saint Laurent had to offer for this season. This time, she was also surprised that MIU MIU, a sister company of Prada was also coming to walk the red carpet. She really wondered who they’d bring to endorse their brand.

 

Seulgi wore full black, paring her tight-fitting mesh top with wide legged slacks. To top off her outfit, she accessorized herself with teardrop earrings and a purse. The woman, though just a student, had people asking her if she were a model. Seulgi had to politely deny but only to get more compliments about her style.

 

The attention was focused on the red carpet when a black limousine arrived. The celebrities invited over from Korea were here and the people were chatting. Seulgi understood French by then. She overheard the reporters saying that the three Koreans each were chosen to endorse for Chanel, Blanc & Eclare (their own brand) and Miu Miu.

 

“Oh? A Korean for Miu Miu? That’ll be interesting.” Seulgi hummed as she moved somewhere where she could see.

 

She spotted Krystal. Seulgi was so happy that there was a familiar face that she made a mental note to greet her later. Beside her was Jessica, the CEO of blanc and elcare, her own brand which she started from the bottom and made to the top. Last but not least, the ambassador for Miu Miu was-

 

“Irene Bae…” Seulgi uttered.

 

 

Seulgi quickly entered the even venue and took her seat. It was the second row from the stage. Seulgi didn’t know if Irene saw her but she was sitting right in front of her.

 

After the show, Seulgi was the first to leave. She went straight home and started on her report about the guests of fashion week of the particular day she was assigned to. 

 

That was 3 years ago. She thought to herself. Ever since she threw that tantrum at Irene when she came to her house uninvited, the senior never came to bother her ever again. But now, seeing her just makes Seulgi feel bad about what she had done. Seulgi sighed again after looking at the sole sentence she only had for her report.

 

“Ahh… I need a break…” Seulgi sighed and went out for a walk.

 

The night was silent as everyone was either at home or in the busting bars that were nowhere near Seulgi’s area. The only thing that lit up the streets were the lamps and the sole white light from the 24-hour snack store. Seulgi looked left and right for cars before dashing to the other side. She greeted the same man behind the register and went to grab the food she always liked – pringles.

 

She was about to exit when she bumped shoulders with a lady.

 

“Ah, my glasses…” The lady, presumably a Korean, started to look for her glasses while speaking to herself in Korean.

 

“Miss. Here.” Seulgi said politely in her native language, catching the lady’s attention.

 

“Thank-“ Irene choked on her voice when she saw Kang Seulgi standing in front of her.

 

“J-Joohyun?!” Seulgi managed to say in her state of disbelief.

 

Irene cursed in her head. She knew she should’ve left the makeup and contacts on before going out to the store opposite of her hotel. Also, am I that different with makeup off? Irene thought to herself and made a mental note to ask Krystal later.

 

“I’m sorry?” Irene asked, trying to play it off.

 

“I-it’s me. K-kang Seulgi. W-why are you h-here?” Seulgi was stammering.

 

“I know it’s you Kang Seulgi. But I’m not the person you’re looking for.” Irene said, staring at her with a confused expression.

 

Seulgi narrowed her eyes and scrutinised the petite girl in front of her. She was definitely Bae Joohyun. She looked eerily similar.

 

“Irene, what’s the ma-“ Krystal froze when she saw who her friend was with.

 

Irene could see that Seulgi was starting to be convinced about her not being Joohyun when she saw Krystal. With that, her whole demeanour changed to a sour one. The same one she had used to treat Irene Bae. Seulgi pushed past Irene and continued on with her jog. She didn’t even greet Krystal.

 

“What was that.” Krystal asked.

 

“She looked hurt...” Irene uttered.

 

“What?”

 

“She still hasn’t gotten over Bae Joohyun.” Irene exhaled.

 

“And you still haven’t gotten over Kang Seulgi.” Krystal said, referring to Irene’s sad expression.

 

.

 

This wasn’t the only time Seulgi would 'bump into' Bae Joohyun. Ever since mistaking Irene Bae for her ex-lover, Seulgi seemed to be seeing her everywhere now. She didn’t even know why she assumed that it was even possible for Joohyun to be here in Paris. Seulgi went to class looking a little tired than she usually was. Wendy took noticed and asked if the latter was okay. Seulgi just nodded nonchalantly, blaming it on her not getting her morning coffee yet.

 

Today’s class for the performing arts majors was the concept of Korean Pop Culture. The lecturer had invited guest speakers to share about today’s topic. Up stood Krystal Jung after she was introduced, and she stood at the podium to introduce herself to the whole lecture theatre.

 

Seulgi’s eyes subconsciously scanned the first row for Irene’s presence. She wasn’t there.

 

Though Seulgi had only seen Krystal around the company and in television, the latter was more than what people knew she was. Krystal was educated and when Seulgi said educated, she means it. The woman knew how to present herself; a black saint Laurent suit and black socked heels from Balenciaga. Irene really knew how to choose her friends. Very few people actually know that Krystal studied in Harvard and majored in performing arts there. She was also an ambassador and leader in the various organisations she joined before she hit big with her dramas.

 

Seulgi could’ve swore Krystal’s brow twitched when she made eye contact with where she was seated at the back row. The lecturer seemed to be smiling through her presentation before her eyes were diverted away to a student who had questions to ask.

 

Wendy also noticed these things. “Krystal Jung... You know that senior?”

 

Seulgi nodded. “She’s the one that I told you about. The one that recommended me the song that got me listed for SM Rookies.”

 

“Oh, I see. And of all people you fan girl about, you chose Irene Bae. She’s so much of a better catch.” Wendy said.

 

“You’re just biased because you’ve been binge watching ‘Player” for the 100th time now.” Seulgi scowled.

 

“So you’re defending Irene now?” Wendy scoffed.

 

“I was refering to the times before she became unlikable.” Seulgi clarified. “Talking about the company... You know sometimes I wonder why Mr. Lee decided to send me to Europe. I wanted to just stop at high school and train.”

 

Wendy shifted in her seat.

 

“Y-you know… well… a future!” Wendy exclaimed. But she exclaimed a little too loud that even Krystal stopped her lecture.

 

“Is there anything wrong?” The woman asked.

 

“N-No. Apologies.” Wendy uttered and lowered her head.

 

Once Krystal continued, Seulgi shot her a glare for embarrassing the both of them like that.

 

“L-like I said… You need a future to fall back on if being a trainee doesn’t work out…”

 

“Oh really?” Seulgi narrowed her eyes.

 

“First Irene and Now Mr. Lee? The thought of an elderly man treating a then teenager so well feels so much weirder than how Irene treated me so well.”

 

Seulgi frowned and sighed.

 

“And if the company finds out that Lee Sooman sent Kang Seulgi to Europe to study, rumours would definitely arise… Maybe I shouldn’t have accepted it…”

 

Wendy hurt a little when she saw how much this thinking had been affecting Seulgi for the past 3 years.

 

“I-it’s not l-like that.” Wendy bit her tongue before she exposed the real reason why Seulgi was sent to Europe.

 

“What do you mean? He told it me face-to-face. Do you know something, Wendy?” Seulgi furrowed her brows.

 

“N-No!”

 

Again. Wendy blurted the denial a little too loud.

 

Seulgi shut her eyes and inhaled sharply when the whole lecture hall was looking towards them again.