-31-

My Secret

“Stop.”

 

Irene sighed.

 

“I said I don’t do this anymore.” She repeated with conviction.

 

Seulgi stopped herself but her glare still not leaving Irene’s. Seulgi wished she could believe her. She did. But being lied to a whole year; having her feelings played; knowing that those hands with unknown intentions touching her, Seulgi could not differentiate what was real or fake anymore.

 

Irene exhales when she saw Seulgi’s conflicted expression. She was the cause of Seulgi’s internal troubles. She hated causing hurt to the people she loved most but she still found herself at that stage one way or another.

 

Alcohol is not the answer to everything. But Irene found herself dependent on it to get through day to day life when the uncomfortable thoughts and feelings arise. Bad habits – Irene set a goal to drop them. That was why she never went to Triple X as frequent in the last two years. But seeing Seulgi here today, she needed all the help she could get. Irene poured herself a few shots in order to soothe her chest pains.

 

The room was silent. Joy built this one well – soundproof walls that kept the annoying music out and allowed her guest to enjoy one of their own preference. Ironic as it sounds, Irene wouldn’t mind if the noise from outside seeped into the room. The deafening silence just made her uncomfortable.

 

“Talk it out?” Seulgi scoffed when she saw the sticky note on one of the liquor bottles she was reaching out for.

 

“So that’s why they locked us in.” Seulgi grumbled. She didn’t take the shot Irene poured for her and opted to pour one of her own.

 

Irene sighed. She reached for the cup and swallowed the liquid, along with the rejection.

 

“I…” Irene started.

 

“I’m sorry…. For back then… I was not allowed to reveal that I was Irene bae so I knew if I graduated, my legacy as Bae Joohyun would end.

 

As to why I cannot reveal who I was, you apart from my manager will be the only ones who know. Back then, when you were still in middle school, you probably heard about bullying scandals regarding idols am I right?"

 

Irene looked for any form of reply but Seulgi just sipped away at the alcohol. 

 

"That was why the Director wanted all our identities to be a secret when we went to school. It was the same for popular idols like Kai, Taemin, Taeyeon and Krystal. The company didn't want us to tarnish our names professionally. But they got to reveal it because they did well in school. Academically and participated in school events. With such a great portfolio, the director was more than happy to reveal it.

 

I went to school with those same intentions. I just wanted to make friends and ironic as it was, I became an outcast. I didn’t know conversations outside of showbiz. I couldn’t relate to them. I did try but… it was better to close myself off. Until I met you that is.

 

I wanted to chase you away like how I did to the other students. But this girl, Kang Seulgi, she was very persistent. So persistent to the point she made her way into my heart.”

 

Irene took another shot before continuing.

 

“I found myself liking you – as a friend at first. I was worried but as bad as it sounds, I thought I could dump you when the time comes.”

 

Seulgi’s brow twitched but she held herself back. She wanted to give Irene Bae Joohyun the chance to explain herself.

 

“I went along with it but then you joined SME. My initial thought was that I could just ignore you as a trainee. But I realized a shift had happened. I found myself liking you. That made me very confused, conflicted because I knew I was in hot water. I thought maybe if I favored you as Irene Bae, then I could get you to lose interest for me as Joohyun and reveal it to you after I graduated.”

 

Seulgi scoffed. Because she knew that didn’t work out.

 

“You ended up hating Irene Bae because of how she advances towards you. I admit I was dumb and didn’t consider your feelings.”

 

“You could’ve stopped.” Seulgi finally spoke.

 

“But I already liked you so much. So, I did the unthinkable, the stupid – to like you as Bae Joohyun. I just wanted to be by your side and being Joohyun allowed me to do that. So i made up my mind and started to look for school events that I could join. I wanted to escape my mundane self and get a good enough record to hopefully release my identity one day.

 

But I couldn't. My record so much that the Director blatantly rejected my pleas. And to think that I was his favorite idol... Thus, when I saw you with Taeyong, I was mad. But I couldn’t do anything because I didn’t want to scare you away. T-those feelings that welled up inside me... I- I'm really sorry for kis- coming on to you that day.”

 

Seulgi had that flashback in her mind. The time when she and Irene shared that drunken kiss. “If you caught my attention, I would have fallen for you.”

 

A gentle smile appeared on Irene’s face. “Tragic.” She said while shaking her head.

 

“When graduation rolled around, I knew I needed to make things up with you before I, Bae Joohyun, disappear. I tried again as Irene but that did not work out. At that point, my only option was to end things with you.

 

Honestly, when you told me you were going to Europe to study, the ‘Joohyun’ felt more at ease because she could be forgotten but the ‘Irene’ was hurt. I still wanted to peruse you but as Irene Bae.

 

I was furious. I went to Lee Sooman and demanded why he was funding your studies in Europe. Beforehand, Wendy already knew my character. She hated me and hated the idea of me being near you. She was vocal about it too. So, I was not surprised when it was her family who paid for your ride through university.”

 

Seulgi looked a little disheartened when Irene mentioned the name of her ex-best friend. She remembered how miserable she was when Joohyun cut ties with her. Wendy even tried to pursue her, but she could never fully accept her best friend. They had multiple fights because of this.

 

"I thought I would be free from the heartache. I didn't even want to know where you went because I so desperately wanted to block you out. I thought if I were to keep myself busy with work, I would feel better. But no... Fate... Fate just had to play me like that and sent me to you. I really didn't expect to see you in Europe and more so, Paris.” Irene chuckled at how the whole situation was so coincidental.

 

Irene took another cup of alcohol when she felt herself sobering up. She was surprised when Seulgi offered to refill her cup and even toasted to her.

 

Seulgi spoke next.

 

“My feelings for you never changed and have not changed you know? The day after I ran away, Wendy found me. I was disappointed that it was not you and I guess Wendy saw through me. We fought. But now I thought about it, blaming my failed relationship solely on her was my mistake. But I still do not forgive how she determined my path in life. But since she paid, I just decided to finish my education and come back here.”

 

Seulgi, who had been looking at her cup, looked up to meet Irene’s eyes.

 

“Why wasn’t it you who came after me?”

 

Irene pursed her lips. “Because I thought that I already hurt you enough. I don’t think you wanted to see me.”

 

“Then what about the last 2 years when I was back?” Seulgi asked again.

 

“I was afraid. I didn’t know Wendy went back to Canada. I was afraid that Wendy would sabotage me or you again. I couldn’t risk it; not for an idol whom I knew SM would debut. I wanted the best for you.” Irene explained.

 

So, what do you feel for me now? Irene was not expecting a question as bold as this. Thinking about her feelings for Seulgi, she could feel warmth bubbling up from her abdomen to her face. Fortunately, Seulgi couldn’t tell from her Asian flush and the dim lights of the room.

 

I… I still have feelings for you.” Irene confessed.

 

Irene saw the glimmer in Seulgi’s eyes when she confessed. She knew Seulgi still likes her.

 

“But I don’t want you to accept them now. Not when alcohol is involved and when we finally talked after a little more than half a decade.”

 

Seulgi looked at the older girl, confused.

 

“I don't want to make the same mistakes. I don't want to rush you into it. Let me start from square one and win you back over again. Let me prove my devotion to you because Kang Seulgi, you are a woman I want to keep forever.”

 

.

 

"Wow." Yeri said when they returned to the room. 

 

"Wow indeed. It was easier than I thought..." Joy said in equal surprise. She imagined the room to be in a more chaotic condition and the two celebs at each other's throats but they were actually having a proper conversation.

 

"You guys cool?" Moonbyul asked. 

 

Irene and Seulgi both looked at her and nodded. They even exchanged numbers with each other on the spot after demanding for their phones back. 

 

Seulgi left with Yeri first. While Irene spoke with Joy. 

 

"I'm sorry Joohyun. We just wanted you two to patch up you know? You both look so... so broken without each other." Joy explained.

 

"Locking us up together was not cool at all. ... ... But thank you." Irene hummed and hugged her friend. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: Final Chapter out tomorrow! :D