-15-

My Secret

“God, you’ve been so needy the past few days.” Jennie whined. Irene had been calling her over every 3 or so days just to drink and talk about the same topics.

 

“Guess I’ll have to skip on wearing my new Chanel dress…” She sighed refering to her weight gain from the alcohol.

 

“Manoban got it for you?”

 

“How’d you know?”

 

“I wanted to get it too but it was out. She seems to have hots for you the last I’ve heard. Flying you to Thailand and stuff.” Irene said, sobering up a little after their nth session of the week.

 

“You know I don’t do commitment. If she wants to play, I will too. You’re still young Irene. Maybe you should enjoy what 21-year-olds actually do rather than going to clubs and screwing around.” Jennie said out of the blue.

 

“You’re caring for once.” Irene scoffed.

 

“I was once 21 too, Irene. I had my experiences and chose this.” Said the 25-year-old, referring to her one-nightstands. “21’s a special age. Maybe you should try going serious for once rather than having flings.”

 

“It’s weird coming from you.” Irene said as she showed Jennie out.

 

"You're the weird one. Spending your whole school holiday and vacation doing nothing but drinking." Jennie sassed. 

 

"Should I delete your number?" Irene pouted, holding her phone up so jenny can see her doing it. 

 

Jennie snatched it away and placed it on the coffee table.

 

"Irene, I am surprised you don't realise what your heart is telling you. You get all worked up because of that one girl, and utter her name in your sleep... You are really dense." 

 

"I-I- I do not talk when I sleep!" Irene defended.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever you want to think. But, take it as a mini life lesson.” She winked.

 

"Yes, teacher." Irene said in a sarcastic tone. 

 

“Oh, I’ll be in Thailand for the next few months or until I feel like leaving. Find another booty call.” 

 

“So that’s why you went all wise with me? Shaking me off?” Irene scoffed.

 

“Maybe?.” Jennie chuckled playfully and with a peck on Irene’s cheek, the latter left.

 

Irene returned to her room and plopped on her bed. Reaching out for her phone, she looked through her schedule to see that Moonbyul had updated it through their iCloud sharing. It was Irene’s wakeup call for the ending of her school holidays and personal vacation.

 

The final term of school was going to start the following week and Irene was a little afraid of it. She hadn’t replied Seulgi for 2 whole weeks ever since the latter got into the car with Wendy. Irene knew this was dumb of her and that Joohyun shouldn’t be angry at her. But, at the end of the day, Irene couldn’t make herself happy enough to reply to Seulgi.

 

Least to say, the first day of school was awkward for the two. Joohyun didn’t bother trying to talk to Seulgi and Seulgi, who didn’t know why Joohyun ignored her, was conflicted over if she should go talk to Joohyun or not.

 

The first day of school was uneventful. So was the second, third, fourth and fifth. Seulgi had enough. She finally found a chance after school. Joohyun was stuck in detention again so knowing that that was when the latter could not run away, Seulgi decided to have a talk with her.

 

“Stop it you’re annoying me.” Irene hissed.

 

It was back to square zero and Seulgi was still so lost.

 

“D-did I do anything?” Seulgi asked, anticipating for answer. But Irene kept mum.

 

“Joohyun…” Seulgi pleaded.

 

“It’s not you. It’s me. I… I have many things going on in my life and I don’t need an extra burden.”

 

“Burden? You are the one who didn’t reply me.” Seulgi said while shoving the chat room at her.

 

Irene noted that her wallpaper was a picture of her and Taeyong, not her anymore. Irene clenched her jaw and turned away. Was it jealousy?

 

“You left me in the dark and then expect me to not ask you? I’m your friend Joohyun!” Seulgi huffed.

 

Irene pretended to ignore her.


Seeing that the talk was fruitless, Seulgi got up and stormed out of the room. That day during practice, Seulgi was dancing a bit harder than unusual.

 

.

 

[SM Entertainment]

 

“Ah-“ Seulgi yelped when she felt a sharp pain in her ankle.

 

“Y-ya are you okay?” Taeyong, who was practicing in the same room asked.


SM do not usually pair their male and female trainees but after months of observation, the CEO wanted them to pair up to perform for the up coming evaluation.

 

“I-I’m fine.” Seulgi tried to stand but only to have another shot of pain.

 

“You’re not. Here, let me help.” Taeyong effortlessly lifted Seulgi up bridal style and carried her to a rest room where all the medical supplies were. Since that event, everyone had been shipping the two trainees together.

 

“T-thanks…” Seulgi said shyly.

 

“Hey, it’s no biggie. I need to take care of my partner am I right?” He hummed and gently massaged Seulgi’s ankle.

 

Seulgi didn’t say anything. She blushed.

 

Meanwhile, Krsytal looked away and bit her bottom lip nervously. 

 

.

 

[School]

 

The principal had this idea of promoting their school through video marketing. He wanted it to be done by the 3rd semester before the school year ends. Irene thought she could join, partially because Jennie told her to live life to the fullest. Plus, she wanted to make her last year in school worthwhile.

 

Upon seeing Joohyun’s name on the sign up list, Seulgi joined in as well. She knew it was a good way to talk to Joohyun, who has been avoiding her. She also managed to convince her friend, Yeri, to join the fun – more like make it not awkward for Seulgi.

 

“I was forced.” Yeri growled as she tailed behind Seulgi.

 

“Come on, no one wants to join because Joohyun is in it. Do you hate her also?” Seulgi asked.

 

“What no? I don’t even know who she is to hate her.”

 

“That’s good! Then that won’t be a problem.” Seulgi hummed.

 

“I didn’t say I wanted to know her either. I’m not interested.” Yeri retorted.

 

“With that feisty attitude of yours, you’ll get along fine with her.” Seulgi chuckled.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

.

 

The next time Irene saw the list, she winced. In it was not only Seulgi’s name but also the of a bully, Park Jimin and Kim Seolhyun.

 

Irene was regretting it now.

 

The day of the meeting, Irene was silent as she listened to the other four talk about what they wanted in the video.

 

“God, if someone here is planning to be a freeloader, they might as well quit.” Jimin said sarcastically while Seolhyun laughed along.

 

Seulgi looked at Irene worried but the latter seems unfazed.

 

“Well!” Yeri butted in. “We can have alumnus to come take about what they loved so much about the school. We are known for some famous ones.”

 

“Smart thinking doofus. How would you suppose we ask Kai or taemin to speak in our video?” Seolhyun scoffed.

 

“Well, it’s a good suggestion. Maybe I can ask the principal.” Seulgi said, hoping to mediate the fight before it happens.

 

“Oh Seulgi, I always knew we can count on you~ Our SME trainee” Jimin replied with a hint of aegyo.

 

Irene scoffed and Yeri rolled their eyes.

 

At the end of the meeting, their plan was this:

 

  1. Seolhyun would try to loan a camera
  2. Seulgi was going to talk to the principal
  3. Joohyun was filming (because Jimin insisted that a girl that was thoroughly disliked shouldn’t be shown.)
  4. Seulgi and Jimin would be the main actresses.
  5. Seolhyun has the supporting roll.
  6. Yeri is the voiceover.

 

Seulgi, Irene and Yeri were no pleased, especially Yeri and Irene. However, both of them knew that it was useless trying to fight back.

 

.

 

The next time Irene saw Seulgi, the latter exited from the staff office looking defeated.

 

“O-oh… hey…” Seulgi greeted awkwardly.

 

“Hey…” Irene greeted back with a tone as awkward.

 

There was silence.

 

“S-so, how did the talk with the principal go?” Irene asked.

 

“He said that getting celebrity alumnus was impossible. They were too busy and the school can’t afford to pay them either.” Seulgi pouted.

 

“Oh...” Irene mouthed.

 

“Man, I should’ve expected it!” She huffed in frustration.

 

“It’s okay...” Irene said

 

“S-say Joohyun?” Seulgi decided to try her luck. “C-can we go have dinner together after school?”

 

.

 

[McDonalds]

 

The two sat in their usual awkward silence again, each munching on their own order while trying not to make too much eye contact. They finished their meal with minimal conversation before another awkward silence swept through them. After a while, Seulgi suddenly blurted out an apology about the other day.

 

“I-It’s fine…” Irene said. “I should be the one apologising to you first. I let my nerves get the best of me,”

 

“N-No… It was my fault for forcing you to say things that you are not comfortable with saying yet.” Seulgi explained.

 

“Seulgi…” Irene exhaled in guilt. She wondered how could someone be so kind when all the people she met were only looking out for themselves.

 

“I.. I promise I’ll explain it all to you when the time comes.” Irene said.

 

“Take your time, Joohyun.” Seulgi hummed. “So we cool now?”

 

“Yes, Seulgi.” Irene smiled.

 

Seulgi was very happy. She ran off just to get another cup of strawberry sundae to commemorate their patch.

 

“How’s you know I wanted strawberry?” Irene chuckled.

 

“I saw your fridge.” Seulgi hummed.