-28-

My Secret

[France International Airport]

 

“Ex-er-cuse me, sir can you s-show me taxi?” The blonde read from a piece of paper while the European man listened attentively.

 

“Ah, taxi. Straight to that sign there.” He pointed. Moonbyul followed his finger and saw the familiar sign, different colors but somewhat similar to the Korean version of a taxi sign. She thanked him, the only English words she was confident in before brisk walking towards one of the cabbies.

 

Moonbyul only had a few essential English phrases to get by. When she received that last-minute call from the CEO about his ‘great idea’ in the early afternoon, she found herself having to pack up in time for her flight to Paris at night. Solar was NOT happy at all. The anger that was supposed to be directed at her own CEO was now on Moonbyul who could only apologize. Though angry, Solar still wrote down a few English phrases to help Moonbyul travel to where she needed to be.

 

“Shangri-La Hotel, Sir.” She said.

 

“Alright, buckle up and let’s ride!” The driver hummed. Moonbyul did not understand a word but judging from his expression, she knew she needed to smile as well.

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

“Thank you.” She hummed before turning on her heel and walking towards hotel reception. Once there, she searched her paper for the longest phrase out of the 10 written.

 

“Ie am Moon-byul. Ie am Irene Bae manager.” Solar had marked an asterisk which was a cue for Moonbyul to show the hotel staff a letter from the company that granted her permission.

 

“May I know which-ie room is Irene at?” She continued.

 

“Alright mam, hold on a second while we verify you.” Verify. Solar had explained to her that the staff would need to check/confirm/make sure/verify her identity. It matched one of the words Solar mentioned so she assumed they were doing that.

 

A short search in the email later, the staff could be seen grabbing a key card and then assisting her to the room that the company had booked for her.

 

Irene’s’, ‘Room’ and ‘beside’ was all Moonbyul needed to hear to know that Irene’s room was next to hers. She really should treat Solar something good when she goes back. She was a great help.

 

Moonbyul settled down and unpacked before heading to the room next to hers. She knocked.

 

Irene did not remember asking for any sort of room service. She also clearly remembered that she placed a ‘do not disturb’ sign. She was enjoying her afternoon tea

 

Irene was a little wary when approaching the door. Though she was in a 5-star hotel with the best security, who knows what serial killers were still capable of? Irene peeped through the peephole and with one swift motion, flung the door open and pounced on her manager.

 

“Well, hello to you too.” Moonbyul laughed while waddling in with the Koala latched on to her.

 

“God your hug was crushing.” She heaved a sigh of relief when Irene finally released her.

 

“Why are you here?” Irene asked, her eyes beaming with happiness that there was someone else she knows here.

 

“Before I get to that, how are you? Where is Krystal?”
 

“She’s out with her sister. I decided to skip out…” Irene smiled but it was not her usual one. The manager noticed.

 

“What happened, Joohyun?” She took a seat on Joohyun’s bed while the latter leaned her petite frame against the doors of the balcony.

 

“I… I bumped into Kang Seulgi.”

 

Moonbyul mouthed an ‘O’

 

“She thought I was Joohyun… well, until Krystal came in the nick of time.”

 

“Hmm… sad to break it to you but you’ll have to meet her again.” Moonbyul admitted. She explained that the reason she was here was because Lee Sooman wanted to do some filming for SM rookies. Since they both happened to be in Paris at the same time, he thought that a photoshoot with Irene and Krystal would garner more popularity for Seulgi.

 

“I see…” Irene said while gazing at the scenery from her room.

 

“Joohyun, I know you hate to hear me nag but why don't you take the opportunity to know Knag Seulgi agin? Sort it out you know?" 

 

"Byul..." Irene exhaled, a little sadnees creeping into her heart.

 

"I know you still love her." Moonbyul interupted.

 

Irene pursed her lips. She was right. Moonbyul could tell that the idol was very conflicted from how her eyes quaked. 

 

"Ah! The jet lag is so bad!” Changing the solemn topic, Moonbyul whined and collapsed onto Irene’s bed.

 

“He made you fly out here so suddenly?”

 

“Less than a 4 hours’ notice.” Moonbyul growled with a scowl on her face.

 

“Oof.” Irene shook her head.

 

.

 

Moonbyul had little time to rest. Her next task was to head over to University to meet Seulgi. That day, Moonbyul also learnt who and what the youngest daughter of the Son family looked like. Moonbyul did not particularly like her because she was the cause of Irene’s tantrums.

 

“Byul!” Krystal yelped when she saw her friend’s manager here. Moonbyul greeted her with a hug but as soon as she saw students starting to stream out of the theatre, she quickly whispered to her.

 

“Kang Seulgi, please stay back for a moment.” Krystal announced into the microphone. She let Moonbyul do whatever she needed to and left her to answer some questions from her final guest lecture.

 

“Moonbyul-ssi.” Seulgi greeted; Wendy nodded and parked herself a distance away for the two to talk.

 

“I don’t think you know of this yet, but Director Lee has some plans for you. You are aware that you are in SM rookies, yes?”

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

“Good. Basically, he wants to do some promotional activities with those listed in SM rookies and sent me over to assist you on that.” Moonbyul explained. “So, it would be good if you could send me your lesson schedule so I can plan accordingly.”

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

‘C-can I ask what specifically we will be doing?”

 

“Well… some filming… a dance or maybe a song? And also, a photoshoot with Krystal and joo- ahem. Irene.” Moonbyul cleared as she read from her phone.

 

Seulgi nodded.

 

.

 

[Wendy and Seulgi’s shared apartment]

 

Wendy didn’t know if Irene was a stalker or was it just pure coincidence that she was in Paris. The person that she tried so hard to keep Seulgi from still found her way here. She only hoped that 3 years was enough to shake Seulgi off her radar.

 

“Do you think there is a possibility that Joohyun would be here? Maybe I just don’t know about it yet.” Seulgi suddenly spoke midway through the movie they were watching in the living room.

 

“That’s highly impossible.”
 

“But Wendy, I feel like I have been seeing her. Ever since I mistook Irene for her… I… I just can’t bring myself to forget Joohyun. I really wonder where she is now.”

 

Wendy just sat in silence and listened.

 

“When she said that I will never see her again, I didn’t know she would mean it literally. She deactivated her Instagram and even canceled her number.” Seulgi said. But the tone of despair that she talked with hurt Wendy a lot.

 

“If I had chosen to stay in Korea, then maybe Joohyun wouldn’t have cut ties with me.” Seulgi exhaled.

 

“But that would mean defying your CEO and ruining your chance at debut.” Wendy reminded.

 

“I don’t care! I don’t think I care anymore. These past 3 years… I thought about it. I would rather lose everything I have and be with Joohyun. I don’t even mind some lame 9 to 5 job.” Seulgi said with so much conviction that it made Wendy a little upset.

 

How was it possible for Irene Bae Joohyun to be both Seulgi’s most beloved and hated person at once?

 

“That’s not the Seulgi I know. The Seulgi I know never gives up. The Seulgi I know always grabs every opportunity she has.” Wendy said, her tone a little warmer hoping to soothe the latter.

 

“But at least I was happy. Now I just find myself going to school mindlessly and coming home to nothing.” Seulgi sighed bitterly.

 

“But you have me. I’ll do anything to make you happy.” Wendy said, her voice sounding hopeful.


Seulgi inhaled and closed her eyes. They have been through this conversation 2 years ago when she and Wendy arrived.

 

“Look Wan... you bring me happiness as well. But the happiness you and Joohyun bring me is different. I always saw you as my friend and just my friend.”

 

“Why don’t you just give me a chance? It’s been so long since Bae Joohyun was in your life and you just can’t shake her off like how you just shook Taeyong off?”

 

Seulgi felt a little insulted by her best friend. She did not just shake Taeyong off. She had loved him but was betrayed. She hated how those words rolled out of Wendy’s mouth so smoothly when she herself knows that Taeyong was the one that used her first.

 

"Seul, I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have-"

 

“Enough.” Seulgi was done with Wendy and the latter knew she screwed up from the tone that Seulgi was giving her.

 

Seulgi stormed into her room and slammed the door behind her.

 

.

 

[Studio]

 

The photographer was explaining to Seulgi and Irene about the vibe of the whole shoot. They wanted to show off Seulgi’s chic and charismatic side. Irene immediately understood and assured the uneasy girl to just follow along while she led.

 

Make sure you stare with a glare.

 

Look at me like how you hate me but softer

 

Tilt your head up

 

Feel the fierce

 

Feel the sass

 

Feel the confidence

 

Why did Irene also sound so similar to Joohyun when she whispers? Seulgi thought to herself. She thinks she is going insane.

 

Irene continued to whisper instructions as they went along, finishing the shoot successfully without much hiccups.

 

Seulgi almost forgot why she idolized Irene Bae in the first place. It wasn’t because she was beautiful but because of how professional the latter was at her job. Seulgi used to watch all her behind the scenes videos where she would take and give suggestions; her juniors commending their experienced senior for helping them out in photoshoots and shows; and directors praising Irene for her professionalism in work. Now Seulgi finally got first-hand experience of how true those claims were.

 

.

 

  

 

.

 

[Garden]

 

Each with a red flower in hand, the flashes went off. Irene and Seulgi changed their pose every few seconds to the rhythm of the clicks.

 

Lean on me.

 

Seulgi did just that and placed her head against Irene’s shoulder. Lavender – that was the smell Irene had even though those were not her own clothes. Lavender also reminded her of Joohyun. Seulgi ‘s attention slipped away and brought her to a nostalgic state. There Joohyun was, beside her at the Han river. She was so close, yet so far.

 

That look of emptiness, dazed, longing was the exact look that the photographer was looking for and Seulgi got a lot of compliments when the shoot ended.

 

 

“T-thank you… I wouldn’t have been able to get through this if not for your help.” Seulgi bowed but her eyes couldn’t meet Irene’s. She was still embarrassed over how she downright called Irene a for playing around.

 

“It’s my pleasure. You’re talented yourself as well. Good job, Seulgi.” Irene commended and left for the changing rooms.

 

“Irene-ssi!” Seulgi suddenly blurted.

 

Irene stopped and turned towards the younger girl.

 

“Do you happen to know what happened to Bae Joohyun, your neighbor?”