Utsukushi Uta (Beautiful Song)

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Music, Romance, Tragedy

Summary: Do we really need our eyes to prove that we're in love?

Yujin who turned blind because of an accident encountered Minju, a popular singer. Their friendship is filled with wonderful songs and hidden feelings.

Word Count: 6875

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_BeautifulSong

 

Utsukushi Uta

(Beautiful Song)

 

October 2019

 

Yujin knows she is in the garden. She could hear the people chattering, the small chirping of birds, the gentle sway of wind and lastly, the warm from the sun that touches her face.

 

Her mom, carefully stopped her wheelchair and caressed her face, "What do you want to eat?" Yujin's mom asked. The girl smiled and answered she just want a bottled water.

 

"Okay, I will buy. Wait me here okay? Don't talk to anyone." Her mom reminded her. Yujin let out a short laugh-- her mom thinks she's still a baby, but Yujin just turned 21 last week.

 

And it's been 6 months since her eyes had fallen into darkness. 

 

She's blind. And this was a sudden and unfortunate event for their family but Yujin did not blame anyone-- even herself for what had happened because she knows she did the right thing even if it means to lose her sight.

 

Yujin is still in the middle of adjusting herself, but deep inside she feels proud for being familiar with her surroundings. Maybe being an outdoor person, also helped her. Though there are nights that Yujin feels the sadness, she is trying her best to be happy and think of the wonderful moments she has and the possibility to cure her blindness with an eye surgery.

 

"Excuse me." Yujin heard an unfamiliar voice near to her place. 

 

"I think you dropped this hanky." The girl continued, this time Yujin realized the girl has a mellifluous voice.

 

Yujin tried her best to find the girl through her voice. She moved her head to her left side, "I don't have a handkerchief. That's not mine." She claimed.

 

"No I mean your mom, your mom dropped it. Look at it." The girl insisted, Yujin did not answer, she even did not move her head and eyes trying to make the girl notice she is blind. And it took a few seconds before the girl realized who she talked to.

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. I did not notice. I-I'm really sorry." The girl apologized in a panic tone, Yujin on the other hand flashed a friendly smile and shook her head, "No, no it's fine. It's alright you don't have to say sorry." 

 

"Here's your hanky. I saw your mom dropped it." Yujin felt a sway of wind in her arms when the girl carefully put the hanky on Yujin's lap and looked at her, still thinking how dumb she is for not realizing that this girl in wheelchair is blind. Maybe because Yujin has expressive eyes.

 

"I'm Kim Minju." The girl introduced herself while looking at Yujin. She could not believe that Yujin has lost her sight because she has beautiful eyes.

 

Yujin smiled again and offered her right hand for a handshake, "My name's Ahn Yujin."

 

"Nice to meet you Yujin." Minju said as she accepted Yujin's hand for a handshake. But when she moved forward, she bumped her guitar to Yujin's wheelchair that made a thump sound.

 

"You. You must be carrying a guitar?" Yujin asked. Minju was surprised when Yujin guessed right. But deep inside, she's  deeply amazed. "Yes. I have my guitar." Yujin nodded and placed both of her hands on her lap. "I used to play a guitar before."

 

Minju smiled at her, she smiled like this girl Yujin could see her. But it does not matter. She sits on the bench near Yujin and talked to her again. 

 

And it's been two months since that happened, Yujin found a friend in Minju.

 

December 2019

 

It's been two months, and Yujin and Minju are now the best of friends. Although Yujin would not be able to see Minju's face. She knows in herself that this woman has a beautiful face.

 

Also, she later found out that Minju is a solo singer who is popular for singing soundtracks in any dramas. She is not familiar with any singers-- however, Minju's name sounds familiar. A common name she always heard in her school before.

 

Yujin believes Minju is a kind and talented person. Although this girl with a mellifluous voice loves to fool with her all the time and would bother her alone-time, Yujin enjoys spending her days with this girl who always brings her acoustic guitar.

 

Since the day they met had happened. Minju would always visit her room just to hang with her. That's their routine, that's their bonding. Sometimes, Minju will bring her to the garden riding her wheelchair, and while she is carrying her guitar at her back. 

 

And in her 20 years of existence, Yujin realized that being in love does not need your eyes to see it.

 

"Ahn Yujin!" 

 

Yujin heard the loud sound of the sliding doors and heavy footsteps on to her room. She can feel the force of someone who seems like it threw itself on the side of her bed.

 

Yujin smiled, showing her dimples. Without asking, she knows who is this person that always invades her room.

 

"What is it again Minju. I bet you composed another song." She guessed. Minju chuckles and gently pokes her left cheek, "Bingo." Minju replied. And because of that, Yujin blushed.

 

"I was just strumming my guitar. And I never expected to make a wonderful song." Minju said while she is fixing her guitar. "Anyways, nothing changes, it's all about love song."

 

One of their bonding; Minju's wonderful songs. Since she is a singer, she loves to make songs, she writes beautiful lyrics and it makes her to be more talented. Aside from performing, Yujin amazes how Minju is determined to even make her own song. She could even make a full album, Yujin thinks.

 

With her guitar, Minju would always sing any songs-- she could make and sing it for Yujin. On the other side, Yujin will give her feedback-- she used to be a writer, and she is kinda confident to give her comment in Minju's lyrics.  They have been doing it for two months. Music is the center of their friendship.

 

"Then sing it for me." Yujin said with a calm voice with a big smile on her face. With that, Minju unknowingly smiled back at Yujin. Even though she knows Yujin would never see how she smiled at her. Minju will and always smile at Yujin

 

"Okay. Listen to my song, Serendipity." Minju cleared and started playing the guitar.

 

I never asked for a miracle, And a great love came. A meeting we both didn't expect, Had reached our heart babe.   And you, you are my serendipity So please, please stay with me. My love, come closer Let's enjoy our moment together.   My, my serendipity yeah~  

Right after she was done, Minju stopped strumming her guitar. She looks at Yujin who is smiling widely, facing the window at her right side. 

 

"You. You always love to sing a short stanza from your song. Annoying." Yujin groaned.

 

"Hey Ahn Yujin! " Minju exclaimed. "I said focus on the lines. I can't let you listen to the full song you know. Please be thankful for teasers." She let out a chuckle. Yujin could not help but to laugh because of what Minju said.

 

"Okay." Yujin followed. "Even though it was too short again, I love your lyrics. It was nice." And showed a thumbs-up.

 

Minju grinned, put her guitar on the table beside the bed, and changed her position to sit beside Yujin. So they are both facing the window.

 

"So do you like my song?" She asked with an exciting tone.

 

Yuji frowned, "How can I? You never let me hear your song in full! Like, it was one stanza, or the chorus." 

 

"Well I can let you hear the full song of Serendipity if you will give me a hug." Minju offered. She meant it as a joke like always. 

 

But deep inside, she knows her jokes are half meant. 

 

But Yujin replied with a scoff and covered both of her cheeks. "Kim Minju, why are you making my heart flutter?" the girl questioned with a dramatic tone.

 

Minju's put her hands on her waist, "Hey Yujin, I am Kim Minju. You know how many hearts I made flutter." and elbowed Yujin in a careful way.

 

"So are you willing to donate your eyes to me then Minju Kim?" 

 

But before she answered, Minju smiled and leaned closer to Yujin's ear. She stayed like that for a few seconds, and placed near at Yujin's ear.

 

"I can give you my heart." Minju whispered jokingly, and burst out laughing.

 

Yujin looked at her direction with a blank expression, "Did you eat today?" She asked with a sarcasm tone.

 

Which makes Minju laugh harder, but seconds after she let out a deep breath and lay herself to Yujin's bed while staring at Yujin's back-- who is sitting on the right side of bed.

 

"On second thought," she murmured. "I can't give you my heart because you won't be able to see how beautiful your future girlfriend is." Minju continued, pertaining to herself.

 

"You're always like that. You love to tease me Minju. Stop acting like you're in love with me." Yujin grumbled.

 

"You did the first move! You threw your hanky." 

 

"I can't see, don't fool me. Yeah, we're friends for two months and I don't know you would tease me with your i'm-love-crap." Yujin explained between her laugh. 

 

Minju closed her eyes as she listened to the voice of this beautiful girl whining at her crap. 

 

"But I am confident I won't get you mad for this. Singers have this cheesy side in their soul. You should know that, you are a writer."

 

"Writers speak the truth." Yujin responded quickly. Minju hurriedly got up from lying in the bed and sits with Yujin again, she patted the latter on her head. "But I speak love." Minju whispered slowly. Trying to tease Yujin again.

 

Yujin gave up. She can't win with Minju when it comes to this. Yes, Minju may speak the language of love, also implying it to her actions; Yujin believes she can fall in love with Minju. Because deep inside she likes Minju. Yujin likes her personality. And something like this situation is unbelievable for Yujin. That's why she kept it a secret to herself. Their 2 months and counting friendship is more important than her feelings; unless one day she can't help but to confess.

 

"I gotta go. I have to do something." Minju picked up her guitar and stood up. She looks at Yujin who is still facing the window. "I said I gotta go, where is my goodbye hug and pat on my head too?" 

 

"Do you want to get out of my room? Stop watching those romantic anime please." Yujin jokingly threatened Minju. They laughed in unison  and Minju walked away and held the door knob of the sliding door.

 

But before she opened it, she threw a last glance at Yujin and smiled sweetly. 

 

"Yujin." 

 

"Hmm?"

 

"You know I am joking right?" Minju asked. The girl just smiled at Minju and she knew the answer, "You're always joking me, what's new." Yujin answered. She pushed the door knob on the left side to open it.

 

After she heard the door closed, Yujin lay in bed and flashed a sweet smile. Maybe she looks like a fool but she can't deny that she enjoyed the short time with Minju.

 

And she really loves the song although she only heard the short part of it.

 

That's how Minju teases her every time they will meet at her room. She knows it was all a joke but deep inside; Yujin loves it. She loves this kind of love she always receives from Minju. 

 

There were nights that Yujin wonders what Minju looks like but she believes that this friend she likes a lot is a beautiful woman inside and out. She even heard her mom described how beautiful her new found friend is.

 

Meanwhile, Minju who closed the door while smiling and happily walks on her way to her place. She could not contain her happiness whenever she would pay a visit at Yujin's.

 

It's been two months since they met at the park and their friendship began. Minju thinks it's the best moment of her life-- to meet someone like Yujin.

 

Yujin is taller than her, with a shoulder length hair and dimple at her right cheek which makes her like a cute puppy and Minju believes Yujin is a pretty girl, and her eyes even though it was damaged from an accident and could not see anymore; Minju believes it is beautiful, Yujin's pair of expressive black eyes with long eyelashes.

 

"Who is kidding? I am not even kidding." Minju talked to herself as she opened the door of her room, put her guitar at it's own case beside her bed. She slumped herself on her bed, let out a deep breath and smiled.

 

"Yes, Minju, you must be joking to yourself." She agreed in the air and chuckled. 

 

She teases Yujin a lot and acts like a fool but deep inside, Minju knows her jokes are half meant and the truth is, she really likes Yujin. Not just friends-- more than that. And she is fully aware of how she feels for the girl.

 

And if you ask why, she even don't know. It just came to the point that she enjoys being with Yujin. And her overall personality, her kindness and willingness to listen whatever she says. Perhaps it was the reason why she likes Yujin a lot. She found a friend and home in Yujin. 

 

Minju grabbed her phone and opened her notes app to see her lyrics notes. She tapped the file name, Serendipity and smiled.

 

"Now the song is already done." She whispered.

 

∆∆∆

"Aren't you cold?" Minju asked.

The two decided to have a little time in the garden at night. Yujin with her wheelchair, and Minju usually carrying her guitar case at the back.

 

Yujin asked her mother if she can go outside to visit the garden for a while with Minju. It's been weeks since the last time they went there. She needs some fresh air and not just the humidifier in her room.

 

"How about you help me to sit on the bench?" Yujin suggested with a sarcasm tone. Minju laughed a little and guided Yujin at the bench. She sits beside Yujin who is wearing a hoodie jacket. Tonight is very cold, maybe because of these designed pine trees, windy, and no one's around in the garden except for them.

 

"Hey." Minju, trying to catch her attention. "Did you guess I have a new song that's why you asked if we can go here?" 

 

"You okay? You've been doing that whenever you'll go to my room." Yujin quickly answered. Minju pouted after what she heard and look at the sky. "The moon is pretty." Minju said between her breath.

 

"I hope I can see the moon too." Yujin murmured. Minju turned her head to Yujin and gently patted her head, "You just have to wait and believe. We can watch the moon together. I promise." Trying to comfort Yujin-- who smiled after what she said. Minju opened her case to get her guitar. "Okay, here's my guitar~"

 

"Told you I'm right. The great singer, Kim Minju will sing for me tonight." Yujin said while laughing. 

 

"And it is for free." Minju added, and rolled her eyes. "Since the night is beautiful, I will sing this new made song entitled Moonlight." The girl cleared and put her left hand to the fretboard and started strumming. She looked at Yujin who smiled when she heard the guitar.

 

Hold my hand, look at me. How about let's visit the night? With you, and a cup of tea. Girl can we spend a lovely date   Under the moonlight Under the moonlight (yeah) Under the moonlight You and I.

 

"Just until then!" Minju hissed and stopped strumming after the song. "Tss. As usual." Yujin replied. Minju chuckled when she heard what Yujin said and pats her head.

 

"Do you want to hear a full song? Then let's listen to this song." Minju put her right airpods to Yujin.

 

"Anyway, do you have someone in mind when you write these songs?" Yujin asked her, trying to be casual. "Feelings." Minju answered shortly while browsing through her phone.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter