Peculiar Love

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Comedy, Fluff, Slice of Life

Summary: When a deaf girl met a blind girl

Word Count: 5202

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_PeculiarLove

 

Peculiar Love

 

Bold = For notes in sketch book

Italic = For sign language, writing on arms

-

Born without ability to hear could be counted as blessing or curse. But Yujin took it as a blessing. All her life, she was abused by her father and ignored by her mother. The Ahn Family was a respectable family. Knowing Yujin was born imperfect, tainted the family name. Yujin could careless though, because her older sister, Sakura,  was always there to protect her.

Since she was the youngest, her father never introduced Yujin to his business partners, or the public. Only the closest friend of Ahn family, the Jangs, knows about Yujin's existence. Therefore, the only child of Jangs was Yujin's only friend, Wonyoung.

Today was the day where both family gathered in Ahn mansion, leaving Yujin and Wonyoung hanging out together. Because Wonyoung has known Yujin since she was a baby, she knew how to use sign language to communicate with Yujin. Sometimes, Wonyoung also teaches her how to speak. Although Yujin has no idea how she sounds, it was pretty fun to follow Wonyoung's instruction to speak. 

Wonyoung shoved a sketch book, filled with her note. They often used the sketch book to communicate if they were too lazy to use sign language.

Where's your sister?

Yujin rolled her eyes. She writes back before focusing on the handheld game that Sakura gave her.

Probably with our dads. Stop being a creep.

Yujin felt a punch on her shoulder. She grinned at Wonyoung before focusing on her game. Wonyoung stares at her best friend, gnawing her lips. She took the sketch book and wrote something before nudging Yujin with her long foot. Yujin glared at Wonyoung before she read the message.

I'm in love with your sister.

Yujin stares at the sketch book, before she lifts her head and looks at Wonyoung with her brow raised. Yujin put the sketch book and used her hands to communicate with Wonyoung.

Since when?

Wonyoung bite her lips before she shakes her head.

I don't know.

Yujin furrowed her brows.

How did you know you love her then?

Yujin saw a smile plastered on Wonyoung's lips.

I just did.

Yujin nodded her head absent-mindedly. They sat in silence, one trying to process the information while the other one trying to read what's on her friend's mind. Yujin then lifts her head and stares straight at Wonyoung.

How does it feel?

Wonyoung sighed dreamily and she put her palms on her chest.

Beyond words.

--

Days after Wonyoung's confession about her feeling for Sakura makes Yujin wonders, how is it like to be in love? Don't get her wrong, she loves her sister, and Wonyoung. But she was wondering what the difference was between her love for Sakura and Wonyoung's love for Sakura. Yujin shake her head, trying to shake off what's on her mind. But of course her action caught Sakura's attention. She felt a tap on her shoulder.

Are you alright?

Yujin patted her sister's back. She might be younger, but both her and Wonyoung towered Sakura.

I'm okay.

Sakura nodded and held Yujin's hand before she wrote something at the back of Yujin's hand.

Stay close to me. I don't want you to get lost.

Today was actually one of the rare days where Yujin was allowed togo outside. Since it was Sakura's free time from studying to take over her family business, Sakura begged her parents to let her spend one day with Yujin. Of course their parents opposed the ideas at first, but when Sakura threatened she won't take over the family business, their parents gave up and let Sakura do whatever she wants to do.

Sakura always brings Yujin downtown. Occasionally, Wonyoung would come with them. But the younger girl said she's gonna have a date with her friends. Yujin might be deaf, but she's not blind. The way her sister being quiet for a second means something. She smiles to herself and will tell this discovery of hers to Wonyoung later.

There's nothing much to do though, since both Sakura and Yujin don't really like shopping. They just spent their days eating, playing at the game center, or watching movies. Currently, they were enjoying a crepe waffle. Sakura's best friend, Chaeyeon, recommended it days ago. And boy, Yujin extremely loved it as she was the one with the sweet tooth among the siblings. Yujin felt Sakura write something in her arms.

Let's bring Wonyoung here next time.

Yujin smirked internally before she nodded her head and continued devouring the waffles. As she was about to shove the last piece of waffle, Sakura nudged her shoulder and showed her phone. Yujin nodded her head, knowing that her sister was asking her permission to pick up the call. Yujin watched Sakura walk away with her phone attached to her ear and cast her gaze to somewhere else.

There was a park in front of the cafe. It wasn't crowded, just the right amount of people was there. She saw two or three couples, enjoying each other's presence, some kids playing, and a girl sitting near the fountain. Yujin squinted her eyes, trying to take a better look at the girl who was sitting alone. Since she couldn't hear her surroundings, Yujin loves to observe anything around her. Like how she could see a guy was slapped by a grandma from the corner of her right eye, how the couple at the park seems to be in a heated argument, and how this man was trying to approach the girl who was sitting alone. Yujin decided to observe them a little more.

The girl seems oblivious to the man who looks around them before walking near the girl. He looks rather restless for someone who had a meeting with her. Or perhaps he was late? Yujin shrugged her shoulders and continued watching them. Yujin saw the girl put out a... stick? Was that a stick? That was a portable stick. Oh.

The girl was blind.

Yujin doesn't even wait for Sakura when she saw the man who was walking restlessly, finally sat beside the girl with his hand reaching out to the girl's bag. Luckily, Yujin came on time and grabbed the guy's hand and stopped him.

"The fu-"

Yujin glared at him, showing that she knew what he was gonna do.

"Tch."

The man yanked Yujin's hand before he fled. Relieved, Yujin sat down beside the girl and sighed. She must have been doing that quite loud and made the girl turn her head to Yujin's direction.

"Hello?"

Yujin panicked. The way she could see there's a movement from the girl's mouth means that she was probably talking to her. But Yujin wasn't sure. And she couldn't just pull the girl's arm and write there. It will shock her. 

"Is someone here?"

Yujin kept her eye on the girl, now she was the one who felt restless. But Sakura grabbed her shoulder at the perfect timing. Yujin felt relieved and also felt sorry when she saw Sakura's worried expression.

I thought I lost you.

Yujin put her hand in front of her chest.

I'm sorry.

She then gestured to the girl beside her, hoping that Sakura could help her communicate with the girl.

She almost got robbed, so I helped her. I think she's blind.

Yujin saw Sakura look at her side and nodded. She let her sister do the communication for her.

"Hello, miss?"

The girl turned her head to the sound of Sakura's voice, confirming Yujin's observation.

"Uh hello. I heard you panting. Are you okay?"

"Oh, no. That's not me. There is a girl who was sitting next to you. She's my sister, the one who pants."

The girl turns her head to Yujin's direction, she looks concerned.

"Oh my, are you okay?"

Yujin nodded at Sakura.

"She's fine. You see,my sister lost her ability to hear. She's deaf. She just wants you to know that there was a man who almost stole your bag."

Yujin saw the girl gasped before holding her bag close to her chest protectively.

"Oh my god, thank you so much! I'm so sorry for the trouble."

Sakura interpreted what the girl said to Yujin. Yujin just nodded.

"My sister said it's fine. We're gonna take our leave, please take care."

Before Yujin could stand up, she felt a delicate hand stop her.

"W-wait! Please take this, as a token of gratitude!"

Sakura and Yujin look at each other, before Yujin politely declines with her gesture. But the girl was a little stubborn as she kept shoving cookies in Yujin's hand. Not wanting to make a scene, Yujin took the cookies and patted her shoulder softly. Apparently, her action shocked the girl so Sakura immediately explained to her.

"She said thank you. She uh.. don't know how to say that to you."

Yujin and Sakura watched the girl relax before she smiled and felt Yujin's arm. Yujin raised her brow and watched the girl write something in her arms.

Thank you for saving me. My name is Minju and I hope to see you again.

--

Hey.

Sakura looked down at her hand before lifting her head to see Yujin. She nodded her head, a sign of acknowledging her presence. Yujin took a seat beside Sakura before they sat in silence. The two siblings are summoned by their father. Not long after Yujin arrived, their father, alongside their mother, came into the room. No one's talking, as usual, but Yujin could care less. Her parents never bothered to learn sign language for Yujin to understand what they were saying. It's not like Yujin wanted them either.

"I'm gonna make this short."

Yujin felt Sakura tap her arm, signalling that their father has started to speak. Yujin lifted her head and focused on her father's mouth, reading it.

"Sakura, I expect you to take over the company by the end of this month."

Yujin saw how Sakura's face change and she knew what it means. Her sister gonna take over the company and it will be pretty soon. Yujin sighed inwardly. If their father gonna step down from his position, it means that he's gonna be around the house a lot. Yujin was honestly fine with her mother around. She really just ignores her existence and mind her own business. Unlike their father. That man really despised Yujin to the core of his bone probably. Even just now, she knew he couldn't stand her presence here. She still remembers how he just kicked her out of nowhere when she was playing with Wonyoung just because she was standing on his way. And she was just five years old that time. Yujin scoffed remembering that, but this caught her father's attention.

"What."

Their father turned his attention to Yujin when he heard her scoff. He walked toward Yujin and yanked her shirt, lifting her up and staring straight at her eyes.

"You're not happy, mute?"

Yujin knew she shouldn't show him her weakness, but she couldn't help but trembled in fear. Sakura stood up and tried to pry her father from her sister.

"Dad, please. Let her go."

Their father glared at Sakura.

"Didn't you hear her scoffed at me? Huh?! Who does she think she was?!"

Their father pushed Yujin away from him, resulting in her falls to the floor.

"Tch. Make sure you teach that mute manners, Sakura."

Yujin just stared at the floor beneath her. Sometimes, it's better to not know what they are talking about. Sometimes, it was nice to be the clueless one. A pair of hands help her stand up. It was different from Sakura's hand so Yujin had to look up. It was their mother.

"Mom-"

Sakura rushed to her mother and her sister's side, helping Yujin up.

"Take care of her."

She took a last glance at Yujin before making her way out, probably going after her husband. Sakura turns her head and checks up on Yujin.

You okay?

Yujin nodded.

That was unexpected.

Yujin refers to their mother helping her, as their mother was not really vocal about her feelings toward Yujin. Sakura nodded and smiled at her sister.

You know what, let's get out of here.

--

Yujin was actually glad her sister took her out again today, slightly hoping she met the girl from yesterday. The reason was because she thought she was going to spend a day with her sister without di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter