Away from the Current

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Adventure, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Slice of Life

Summary: Ahn Yujin found herself hoping off a plane in Bali after escaping the not-so-good realities behind. With no plans ready, she registered at YOLO club, a group of locals organizing different kinds of activities, where she met a stranger named Minjoo to whom she was paired with for a week-long escapade. Yujin’s competitiveness opposes Minjoo’s lack of confidence but soon, they soon started to form a friendship that goes beyond what Yujin thought.

Word Count: 11928

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_AwayFromTheCurrent

 

Away from the Current

 

Chapter 1: Diving into the Unknown

 

“Two souls who are bound to meet but not to stay together for a lifetime. Even so, one chooses to love unconditionally everyday.”

 

The voice of the narrator echoed throughout the living room. 

 

Yujin took the remote and turned the TV off as she comfortably lie down on her favourite couch at the right corner of the room looking up the night sky through the glass ceiling of the townhouse she barely visit located at the edge of a cliff overlooking the west sea.

 

Sitting at the sofa wearing this navy checkered pajamas on and a duck headband, Yena scoffed at her crossing her arms in disgust with those pouted lips “What the hell was that Yujin? It’s not even finished yet! I am watching a goddamn movie for goodness sake!” 

 

“How many times do I need to tell you not to be moved by your emotions often? Now here you are watching cringe films about things that only exist in an alternate universe, somewhere non existent. You’re feeding your mind with lies. Let’s be real.”

 

“How heartless. Your workaholic and boring getting into me again. Come on!! Relax okay? I won’t be bothered with personal stuffs ever again.”

 

Yena started stretching her arms now, ready to get up “WORK. IS. WORK. Architect Ahn.” 

 

“But apart from being your secretary, I’m also your best friend. And me acknowledging your dad’s offer to support our project is simply the only way possible for us to take a leap for a lead to win the bid. Mr. Ahn worked at wall street. This is about business Yuj. He can help us.”

 

“It’s not just him being your dad. This is business we talking about Yujin.”

 

“I do not take things personal, you know that. But trust me. We can win without that man’s help.”

 

~

 

“Yena, I missed seeing a set of probable downfalls. And it’s causing everything to fall apart.”

 

“We can still make up for it, Yujin. I could still set a couple of meetings again after a week. The decision isn’t final.”

 

“I don’t know. I don’t even trust myself anymore.” 

 

Those were Yujin’s last words in her conversation with Yena before she packed her stuffs and flew to Bali the next day. 


 

Chapter 2: Half Empty, Half Full

 

A sunny weather welcomed Yujin as she arrived at airport that afternoon. For the first time, Yujin, a planner herself, went into a vacation without any plans. She could still remember how the thought of ‘Sometimes, the best plan is having no plan.’ seemed completely ridiculous. And now here she is shaking her head in disbelief “Let’s see if this plan’s gonna work out then.” 

 

While picking her traveller backpack, Yujin started checking her phone trying to seek help from Google while walking towards the direction of information booth. She soon noticed a banner that says “YOLO Club” which seems to attract a number of tourists. 

 

Someone handed her a flier which says that they won’t require any registration fee as long as you book into the participating hotel and resort. It’s a promotional collaboration of a group of local travel enthusiasts and hotel. All you got to do is check in for a minimum of five days and you’ll have a set of activities to enjoy. 

 

Yujin checked the surfing spot she wanted to visit and it is indeed located at the same location the club is operating. She was about to ask for assistance from a receptionist to book an accommodation since she doesn’t have a place yet, as a girl accidentally bumped into her.

 

“Oh I’m sorry.” The girl spoke in her native language, Korean, and immediately apologize in English.

 

“Oh. It’s okay.” Yujin responded as the girl brightly smiled at her before turning to the receptionist “Is there a room available?”

 

“Sorry Miss. The hotel’s fully booked but we do offer cabins located near the beach itself. It costs higher than the rooms we have but definitely worth it. And we actually got our last cabin available, the simplest one but with the best view.”

 

“Would you give me a minute to decide please?” The girl pleaded

 

“Sure.” The receptionist replied as she then turned to attend on Yujin “How about you, Miss?”

 

“The cabin actually costs almost twice the suites right?”

 

“Yes. Apparently good for four. It has two rooms.”

 

“I’ll take it.” The other girl inserted.

 

“Oh.” Yujin bit her lower lip trying to think of an immediate solution. She gave a shy smile to the receptionist who signaled her to ask the other girl. “Would you mind sharing the cabin with me? I mean, we could split the bill. I hope you don’t mind. I just need a place.”

 

The girl, hesitant and puzzled, looked at the receptionist. “I can actually help you settle that now.”

 

The girl took a quick glimpse into Yujin’s form and saw her name. “It’s good to have a fellow Korean around. I’m Minjoo by the way.”The girl introduced turning to Yujin to meet her gaze.

 

“And looking into someone’s record without consent is a no-no cabin mate.” Yujin replied warily.

 

“I didn’t mean to read it.” Minjoo shrugged “. . . It’s just your writing in all caps you know. It’s hard not to notice.” Yujin looked at her with a straight face as Minjoo can’t help but break the ice and smile at her shyly “I’m kidding. You need to chill a bit too. Cabin. . . mate.”

 

“Don’t get me wrong. I hope I won’t sound offensive. But maybe we should put just one condition into this form we got then?” Yujin wrote 4 letters, MYOB (Mind Your Own Business)

 

The receptionist noticed the tension going on and immediately interrupted the two “Your officially booked and here are your cards. It’s all settled. A shuttle is ready to take you to the place in a few minutes. Keys will be provided at there at the camp. Enjoy your trip!”


 

Chapter 3: Go with the Flow

 

“Welcome to Padang Padang!” 

 

The staffs greeted them as they passed by the open lobby of their small yet delicate hotel with ivory white painted walls and classic wooden/rustic interiors overlooking the beach as it give off a beautiful peach sunset view at the open area showcasing furnished wooden tables and benches accommodating the guests for their daily meals at the buffet with this warm white light bulbs hanging vertically at the wooden bars above filled with vines.

 

“Welcome to Camp Ohana. I’m Moana at your service! We know you’ve had a long day and rest is a must. Now have your dinner first and drop by your belongings at the baggage section. For everyone who signed up for YOLO club’s activities, we’ll be handing out the module and schedule after dinner!” 

 

There were about two shuttles of tourists who arrived with Yujin so the buffet area was a little packed yet still organized. The line was a bit long so Yujin thought of walking through a pathway she noticed at the left side putting her air buds on as she take a stroll. 

 

A kid suddenly tripped in front of her spilling cola on her white converse.

 

“Tch. What a clumsy kid.” Yujin mumbled turning her back, ignoring the kid, and checked her stained shoes

 

“Oh my I’m sorry Miss!!” The kid looked up at Yujin with those apologetic eyes as a girl came rushing next to the kid to help her get up. “It’s okay dear one, Go now.”

 

“This girl’s really unbelievable.” Minjoo shaking her head giving out a sigh as she get back into her feet and went back to the buffet area still unnoticed by Yujin.

 

The buffet table full of southeast Asian delicacies varying from chicken satay, pad thai, sweet and sour pork and beef steak. Durian ice cream is also served at the corner. Yujin just picked out the beef dish and a serving of rice and looked out for a vacant seat to eat. She saw one empty table for two at a corner and immediately made her way. 

 

“Excuse me. Is the seat taken?” A girl asked yet Yujin simply shook her head, didn’t bother looking up and continue eating

 

“How rude.” The girl annoyingly mumbled taking her seat. 

 

Yujin finally paying attention, looked up and saw her cabin mate who’s surprised to see her too. 

 

“Not. Again.” Minjoo whispered

 

“What did you just. . ?” Yujin responded with full causing her to choke with a chunk of beef she just had. Minjoo immediately stood up and did a first aid by positioning herself into Yujin’s back, wrapping her arms into the tall girl’s abdomen, putting some force pulling against it to give it an impact. The people around watched them intently as Yujin successfully spit out the chunk. A server attended into them handing her a drink.

 

“You okay?” Minjoo asked as Yujin nodded, both of them taking their seat and the eyes of the people left them that instant.

 

 Yujin still breathing heavily looking at her. “Yeah.”

 

“You know what, saying thank you won’t hurt.” Minjoo commented with a sheepish, teasing grin as Yujin abruptly gave her a breathy, quick, a little sincere “Then thank you.”


 

Chapter 4: You Only Live Once 

 

Day one with the YOLO club.

 

There were basically twenty four people who registered. Mostly on their early 30s. All of them were in either groups of four or pairs leaving Yujin and Minjoo solo. Yujin met gazes with a pair who seem to be eyeing on her.

 

“Since there are five groups of 4. Can you team up, four miss?” Loki, the YOLO club head suggested, trying to make the day smoothly sail.

 

“Sure.” A pair of new faces agreed as both Yujin and Minjoo looked dismayed avoiding each other

 

“I guess these two are having a lover’s quarrel. Aren’t they?” The short girl whispered to the taller girl 

 

“Lover’s what?” Minjoo’s eyes widened in disagreement, strongly shaking her head 

“Sorry I guess you guys got the wrong idea.” Yujin immediately explained but the purple haired girl just gently rested her arm on her shoulder. “It’s okay fam. I got you.”The purple haired girl comfortably gestured 

 

“I’m Eunbi by the way.” The black haired girl with a very light and fluffy bunny aura greeted offering her hand as Minjoo shake it. 

 

“Oh my! A fellow Korean? Hello! Nice to meet you!” Minjoo enthusiastically responded

 

 The purple haired girl then raised her right hand with her left arm still resting on Yujin’s shoulder “Hyewon but you can call me Hye.” She turned to Yujin who’s obviously uncomfortable with the stranger’s friendliness. 

 

Eunbi gave her pal a look and the girl immediately put her hand down ”Sorry about that. She’s just way too friendly. And you are?” 

 

“Yujin. Call me Yuj.”

 

Bali Treetop Adventure Park

 

A zip line and aerial walking courses located at the largest botanical garden in Bali. The courses looked overwhelming but the luscious green scenery will take away those tingly feeling and give you enough courage to go face your fears. The club actually reserved the first session in the morning. 

 

“Adventure time actually lasts for almost two and a half hours with 7 circuits but with adults we will be going through adrenaline black circuit. From suspended bridges, spider nets, Tarzan jumps, flying fox, flying swings and many more. All circuit platforms are held in place using advanced compression system to protect trees from damage. Patrol guides are also situated along the circuit ready to advise and assist as needed, giving support from above and below.” The patrol guide head discussed.

 

Minjoo started looking at the highest courses as her eyes widened, making her jaw almost drop in shock. She then gave out a heavy nervous sigh which made Yujin chuckle. 

 

“Don’t worry. We have life line harness you know.” Minjoo responded a sharp look into her. 

 

They were all given each set of equipment (harness, pulley, head gear, etc.) and soon headed to the demonstration circuit for patrol guides to check if each of them understands how to use the equipment.

 

“Everyone must follow the safety instructions given by the guides as they explain how each circuit works. So now. Which team wants to go first?”

 

“Can we go last please?”  Minjoo tried asking Hyewon as Eunbi immediately raised her hand which surprised everyone. 

 

“Let’s see what we got, cabin mate.” Yujin commented as she follow Eunbi’s lead. 

 

Hyewon gave Minjoo a cheerful smile pushing Minjoo because her feet are glued to the ground. “It’s okay fam. Come on let’s get it!!” 

 

Minjoo came last climbing up the wall to get to the zip-line surface. She isn’t that athletic but she still managed to get through. Next stop, 300m zip-line, just 5 meters off the ground, to go to the first circuit but Minjoo pleased her mates to give her some time to mentally prepare herself. Two teams already went by so Eunbi and Hyewon went in first. 

 

Minjoo approached the patrol guide breathing heavily “Okay I’m ready.”

 

 “You better be.” Yujin whispered to herself. She just can’t stand to wait and always got this ‘things shall flow smoothly as planned’ mentality. 

 

They got their gears all ready with Minjoo already set. The guide supposed to count first but Yujin decided to just pull the lock to avoid Minjoo from backing out again and immediately followed. She might be too competitive but she also encourage people often, in a not so friendly manner though.

 

Yujin still unbuckling the gear with the guides when all of a sudden, Minjoo hit her face which caught her off-guard. “That’s for pushing me. I hate it. But thank you.” She then turned and smiled at Eunbi and Hyewon who’s waiting for them.

 

Each course almost has a zip-line session to get through the next. They swiftly made it through the first four courses with Minjoo keeping up. From suspended bridges, with Yujin annoyingly shaking the ropes to bother her to the Tarzan jump. But the last course is a little overwhelming for Minjoo. A 4 meter log walk where you need to balance yourself because there are no rope to hold into.

 

Yujin now waiting at the end alone for Minjoo who’s at the other edge of the log, barely moving forward with her hands up at shoulder level. 

 

“Is that all you got? Come on!” Yujin annoyingly challenging Minjoo. The girl now getting a little teary looking down, trying to calm her nerves, breathing heavily.

 

Yujin then intently look at Minjoo seriously now “You’re really scared aren’t you?” 

 

Minjoo closed her eyes for a bit and looked straight into Yujin “Yes.” 

 

Yujin abruptly took a step forward offering her hand. “Don’t look down, okay? Look at me. You can do it. I’m waiting right here.” 

 

Minjoo breathing in on every step she take. then took a quick but safe 3 step and jumped into Yujin’s waiting arms.

 

Pulling off from the tight hug, wiping those tears “Thanks. Yuj. I mean it.” She still looks so pretty with that messy hair look and sweaty face. 

 

“Then take this as my apology for being so mean.” Yujin interjected

 

“Mind to begin again?” Minjoo giving out a bright smile “ I’m Minjoo.” 

 

Yujin reached for Minjoo’s waiting hand, giving out that puppy smile with her dimples showing up “Yujin.” 

 

“You. You look better without those furrowed brows, so wear those smiles more often.” Minjoo giggled as the guide’s help her going down and went to their team buddies who welcomed her with a group hug. 

 

After a visit at Munduk waterfall, they had lunch at a humble bakery + cafe near Bratan waterfalls and eventually came in the camp around 7PM just in time for dinner. Yujin and Minjoo bid goodbyes into their new-found company, Hyewon and Eunbi and went into their cabin. 

 

The cabin is just an average looking log one with wooden floors, a common living area welcoming you from the entrance door and a small kitchen/dining area adjacent to it on the right side. The bedrooms are situated after it, both equipped with sliding doors. It was basically a huge guest room before, now divided in half with 18mm thick fully furnished marine plywood, both with respective bathrooms. There is also a porch located at the back accessible by both rooms overseeing the beach and a number of palm trees on the side. Perfect for sunsets and sunrises. 

 

~

 

Minjoo came out of her room in her pink pajamas at around 5:30 AM still yawning stretching her arms when she saw Yujin drying her wet bob cut hair with a towel on her left hand and a cup of coffee on her right hand, taking a sip before greeting her cabin mate good morning.

 

“Good morning snob Yuj!”

 

Yujin almost spilling her coffee “I’m being. . friendly.” 

 

Minjoo responding a smile as they both look at the rising sun “Sunsets are better though.”

 

Yujin loking at her cabin mate who’s tying her hair. “Why'd you say so?”

 

“It takes away all the worries you had in a day. Seeing the sun set is like a sort of healing.” Minjoo replied not taking her eyes off of the ocean view 

 

“I prefer sunrises.” She met Minjoo’s gaze and continued “Because it simply radiates hope.”


 

Chapter 5: Jump Then Fall

 

“Today we will have an island hopping. We’ll go to three small islands Lembongan, Penida and Ceningan.” Moana announced. After a 45-minute ride, they hopped into a speed boat and was instructed to wear the live vests properly. Another half an hour to get into the first island.

 

Nusa Lembongan

 

They were served with welcome drinks as someone distributed snorkeling equipment for them. Yujin seemed to be occupied with thoughts when Minjoo held her by the wrist pulling her into the boat. “Come on Yuj It’s a good day, stop thinking too much.”

 

“Wait. Where are Eunbi and Hyewon?”

 

“Ahh. Those two. They are having breakfast right now. Hye just won’t stop bugging Eunbi because she’s hungry so they decided to skip snorkeling and just go zip-line and hike this noon.” 

 

~

 

“How was snorkeling?” Eunbi asking Minjoo as she enjoy her watermelon shake with Hyewon lining up at the buffet. Again. 

 

“Snorkeling initially sounded a bit weird to me but after seeing the marine life and underwater scenery, it’s greater than what I thought.”

 

“I was enthusiastic at first but when we were ask to jump into the deep water. I almost froze in my seat.” Minjoo’s expression when she narrates a story never fail to make anyone be so drawn into her, making them laugh at the same time. Her reactions were always meme-worthy.  Yujin unconsciously have her eyes on Minjoo only whenever she talk about anything with Eunbi noticing it too. 

 

Minjoo continued “ . . . But I found the courage with Yujin’s help. It’s her first time but it felt like she did it numerous times already. I hate it how she immediately pushed me into the water when I said I can swim! But it was really fun. It would be much amazing if you guys were there too!”

 

Nusa Ceningan

 

“Gliding across the sea through zip line between cliffs enjoying a spectacular view of the sea has been so much fun! We originally planned of going backpacking here in Bali and try bungee jumping but that one and only spot has been temporarily closed. Thank God we found YOLO club and got this chance.” Eunbi, as always, extra chatty whenever she’s too happy.

 

“And it’s our pleasure to have you both in our group. You and Hye has been our mood-maker. Minjoo and Yujin seem to be brighter people now” Loki commented with a beaming smile “. . . .but before we move into the last island. Here we are at Mahana Point.”

 

“Anyone wanna try cliff jumping? There are a 5m and 10m diving board at that particular rocky "crop hanging over the ocean. And its safe. There are lifeguards designated at each corner below.” The tour guide continued pointing the cliff. A handful of daredevil tourists were waiting for their turn to jump. Yujin noticed how mesmerized Minjoo was watching those fearless guys dive and jump with style. 

 

Only Eunbi and Hyewon raised her hands. “As expected from these two.” Loki nonchalantly remarked. “Anyone else joining?” Yujin looked at Minjoo asking her with her eyes but she seem not to understand. She simply don’t want to waste this chance, not for her but Minjoo. She can’t deny how immensely fascinated she is watching this girl conquer her fears so Yujin raised her right hand grabbing Minjoo by the wrist with the other and four of them went into the point as the remaining groups expectantly watch them from the shore.

 

“I can’t do this Yuj please.” Minjoo stepped back her hands trembling, her knees shaking in fear. 

 

“You got this Minjoo okay?” Eunbi shouting from below as they reach for the ladder to climb back safely. Hyewon then reached for her camera from the cliff diver in charge. 

 

“I know you can do this.” Yujin whispered and took her by hand with Minjoo taking a deep breath with her eyes closed. She then looked at Yujin in the eyes nodding. The taller girl gave her an reassuring smile and they started running into the board and jump in with hands up in the air

 

Nusa Penida

 

“Welcome to Peguyangan waterfall. Not the towering vertical torrent waterfall. No more jumping. Its a series of short, cascading fountain springs that eventually make their way over a steep valley into the sea. Reaching it involves a thrilling descent down narrow stairs against the wall of the ravine. I’m not scaring you but it’s really steep so brace yourselves. Plus we already distributed the ‘sarong’ (a loose-fitting skirt like garment formed by wrapping a strip of fabric into one’s waist). Everyone needs to wear a it since this place serves as a temple for the locals making it a sacred place.” The tour guide discussed then led the way

 

After some 460 steps, they reached the gorgeous sight of the cascade. It was already late afternoon with the sun starting to set. They were instructed to stay for only 10 minutes because going up will be hard after sunset. Hyewon and Eunbi started arguing who takes pictures better so Yujin jumped in and was caught in the middle with Eunbi asked leaning closer to her acting cute “Who takes better shots Yuj?

 

Yujin forced a smile while nervously scratching her head “Sorry Eun. It’s Hye.” 

 

“I guess Eunbi takes shots better though.” Minjoo interrupted

 

Eunbi snatched the camera from Hyewon and instructed Minjoo of what pose to do “Let me snap some photos for you then!” 

 

“Why don’t you join her Yujin?” Hyewon pushing her

 

Minjoo took a wrong step and her foot slipped on the wet rock. Panic gripped on her and then she felt a warm hand caught hers and with another wrapped around her waist. Their faces too close to each other. “You okay?”Minjoo nodded as she let Yujin help her get into her feet and pulled away.

 

“That was one gorgeous shot.” Eunbi whispered to Hyewon who’s trying to control her expression. “Let’s take it again in one.. two. “ *click*


 

Chapter 6: Go With The Flow

 

They left the hotel at 7AM and went straight for their first stop of the day, white water rafting.

 

Telaga Waja

 

It has a 16 kilometer long rafting route, longer than the famous Ayung river, and offers a more thrilling experience. 

 

Four people per boat with one guide guiding them along the way. They were handed each paddle and the guide instructed the basics and guidelines of what to do.

 

“Anyone done this before?” The guide asked, and Yujin simply raised her hand.

 

“We’ll basically stay at the back. Hye will be doing her best to capture our moments against the rapids.” Eunbi interjected

 

The first four kilometers was bearable with Eunbi still being able to fill the boat with laughter but rapids became relatively more aggressive as they reach the middle course with those rock formations making it more intense. 

 

As the flow became a little calmer, the guide advise them about a 5 meter fall they will face around the 10th kilometer. Minjoo who’s sitting beside Yujin, took a quick grip on her cabin mate’s life vest “Minjoo. Take that grip off if you don’t want us to. . .” 

 

“ . . . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH” 

 

Both fell deeper into their seats with legs up. “I told you not to pull me. . . .” Yujin, pissed at first but as she saw Minjoo struggling to get back to her seat trying to control her laughter with Hyewon and Eunbi laughing their butts off filming every moment, she realized, it’s not always about getting everything done right but making the best out of the situation. She then gave Minjoo a hand, helping her to get back on her position. 


 

Yujin thought: It’s always good to do your best but maybe not sometimes if the pressure steal away the joy and authenticity of the experience. Throwing that pressure off yourself makes the experience raw. You don’t need to be perfect all the time, just go with the flow and everything will fall into place.

 

“Now get those paddles ready guys!” She cheerfully shouted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter