Her Five Boldest

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Art, Music, Romance

Summary: For a certain reason Kim Minjoo vowed to herself that she will never let another person be a part of her life. She tried hard to become anonymous her whole college life, but Ahn Yujin came, the boldest troke that made her good life, a greater one.

Word Count: 11995

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_5BoldestStroke

 

Her Five Boldest

 

FIRST BOLDEST

 

"She's here again, as expected.", Yujin said to herself, her lips forming into a smirk while looking at a certain pink-haired girl. 

 

The girl is wearing her usual black hoodie with her hair down covering most of her face while sitting at the corner of the café as she reads a book as if wanting to be invisible to everyone. Nonetheless, she caught the attention of Daegu National University's pride, the guitarist and lead vocalist of the all-girl band Highlight, Ahn Yujin.

 

"Jeez, Yujin! Stop being a creep.", Yena, the bassist of Highlight, jokingly said which snapped Yujin out of her daydreams.

 

"H-Huh?", Yujin stammered, embarrassed that she was caught… again.

 

"Aigoo~ You've been staring at her every time we're having a gig here.", Yena teased.

 

"Why don't you talk to her?", The two girls were startled by the voice of a girl, their drummer.

 

"Ya, Kwangbae! Stop popping out of nowhere.", Yena hissed but the other girl just stuck her tongue out at her and looked at Yujin waiting for an answer.

 

"I've tried on our first day here.", Yujin said with a sigh. "She was sitting on that same spot; she always has been. After our last song that day, you guys were fixing our stuff that's why you probably didn't see me, I was walking to her table when she saw me, then she hurriedly fixed her things and before I could utter a word, she left.", The youngest told them in a sad voice. "She probably doesn't like me."

 

"Eyyyy! Maybe she got shy seeing the guitarist of Highlight walking on her direction.", Yena said boosting the confidence of her bandmate.

 

"Try talking to her again after our set, we will help you." Hyewon said patting Yujin's shoulder, a sign of encouragement. Yena also agreed on helping the girl.

 

"Ya! 3 idiots! We're about to start, go to your places!", Sakura yelled, their leader and pianist, which earned a cute death glare from Yena and Yujin, not Hyewon, of course not from her girlfriend.

 

"You know, from the movie, one of the 3 idiots is smart.", Yena argued.

 

"Yeah, and that's Hyewon, not you.", Their main vocalist, Yuri, butted in which made Yena pout at her.

 

"Why are you so mean at me?", Yena asked in a cute pitiful voice which made Yuri laugh.

 

"Girlfriends don't lie to each other, babe.", Yuri said then hugged Yena which made the older girl smile and hugged her back.

 

On the other hand, Yujin was so disgusted by her bandmates. "Ghaaaaad! I hate being the fifth wheel all the ing time.", Yujin said unenthusiastically which made her members laughed at her. They also on finding a girlfriend already, which made Yena tell their other two bandmates about Yujin's pink-haired girl crush, which again earned a lot of teasing from the older girls.

 

After all the laughter and jokes, they started their set. Many people came to the café and watched, mostly students from their university who admire them. During their set, the audience was singing along and some are even doing their own-made fan chant. The band was always amazed hearing those fan chants, she never imagined that someone will make one for them. 

 

While performing, Yujin always takes a peek on the pink-haired girl but the girl has her earphones on and her eyes are fixated on the book she's holding, making the guitarist frown. "She never watched us perform.", Yujin said to herself.

 

After their set, a lot of fans came to them, especially to Yujin but before they could corner the guitarist, Yena and Hyewon blocked them and started talking to them to avert their attention from the tall girl. Hyewon gave Yujin a signal to go talk to Ms. Pink's hair and the girl nodded.

 

Yujin took a deep breath before starting to cautiously walk towards the girl with pink hair. The girl is not moving at all to where she's sitting, she's just busy reading the book she's been holding on since she came there, which made Yujin glad that the girl might have no idea that she's walking towards her or she might run away again. Yujin stopped a few inches away from the girl's table, unable to think what she's going to say now that she's here.

 

The seated girl noticed that someone is in front of her so she pulled out her earphones and looked at the girl. Yujin was in awe seeing the face of Ms. Pink hair up close. "Damn she's so beautiful.", She said to herself.

 

"Uhmm. Hi.", Ahn Yujin shyly said but of course not forgetting to give the girl her eye smile, which is one of her biggest charms that always work to woo girls.

 

"Hello.", A short answer from the angel-like girl that made Yujin's heart dropped hearing her voice for the first time.

 

"Can I sit here?", Yujin asked talking about the seat in front of the other girl. Minjoo was confused as there are many available seats inside the café but this girl chose to sit with her. Nonetheless, she nodded and gave her permission, which made Yujin happy. 

 

Yujin thought of asking her why she runaway the last time she tried to talk to her but realize that it might make the atmosphere awkward so she dropped the idea. She saw that the other girl was about to put her earphones on again but before she could Yujin started talking again. "I'm Ahn Yujin. Taking music, majoring in guitar. I'm the guitarist of Highlight, the band who just performed. What's your name?", She blabbed.

 

The other girl looked her in the eyes for some seconds which made Yujin confused and well… kinda intimidated. But it all went away and was replaced by a fast thumping of heart when the girl suddenly smiled and leaned closer to her. "What do you think my name is?", She asked which made Yujin's eyebrows quipped.

 

"Umm… Angel?", Yujin smirked.

 

The other girl just laughed, making Yujin smile hearing that sound. "What an old line.", She joked. 

 

Yujin just laughed together with her and then saw the cup on the table which she thought might contain the name of the girl in front of her. She excitedly picked it up and read what's written on it. "Decaffeinated coffee with non-fat milk for… Anonymous.", Yujin confusedly looked at the cup and then to the girl in front of her who has a cheeky smile plastered on her face, which made her realize that the girl already thought that she might look at her cup to know her name and she know that she'll fail. "Eyy~ You really won't give me your name?"

 

"You can call me Anonymous.", She said with a playful smile.

 

Yujin pouted making the other girl laugh. "Fine. I'll just call you Angel.", Yujin said with a grin.

 

"Eyy~ I'm not an Angel but whatever floats your boat.", Yujin then nodded in agreement. She saw the book that Minjoo was holding and got curious about it, maybe it's a reading from one of her subjects?

 

"What's that book?", Yujin asked.

 

Minjoo lifted the book and looked at it before answering. "It's Cyrano de Bergerac, a 19th-century play.", She said nonchalantly.

 

"You must be a theater student or… English major?", She asked.

 

Minjoo smirked. "Naaah. This is not a school requirement. This book was the inspiration for my favorite movie, The Half of It."

 

"Oh, I know that movie. The main lead is Chinese girl named Ellie Chu who helped a guy write love letters to a girl named Aster Flores, but in the end, Ellie fell in love with Aster.", Yujin said proudly which made Minjoo smile that someone knows about the movie.

 

"That's good that you know the movie. I guess you're someone of culture.", She said and they both laughed. "The movie is the hint if you wanna know what I'm majoring in.", That statement made Yujin think. The two protagonists in the movie met in a music club so maybe she's music major too? But the story revolved around Aster's love for art, maybe art major? Or history because they always talk about that in their chats. Yujin was so deep in thought that she didn't notice that Minjoo already fixed her things and about to leave.

 

"You're leaving?", Yujin sadly asked.

 

"Yeah. I have to go. Bye.", She said and started walking towards the exit but before she can leave the café, Yujin asked something.

 

"What univ do you go to?", She shouted.

 

"Same as yours.", She said with a lovely smile and left.

 

That answer made Yujin dumbfounded. "She knows where I go?"

 

SECOND BOLDEST

 

The so-called "3 idiots" are outside the cafeteria puffing some cigarettes. It became their addiction when they started college. Their other two members tried to make them quit, which they will obey but then after a few days, it will be so hard for them and will decide to go back smoking again.

 

Hyewon and Yena are talking to each other when they noticed that Yujin is not listening to them and just staring at a distance.

 

"Ya! Ahn Yujin, for someone who doesn't have a brain, you're thinking way too much.", Yena joked which snapped Yujin out of her thoughts.

 

"Ya! I'm just dumb but you're dumber!", Yujin quipped and before they could continue their bickering that would probably last for an hour, Hyewon butted in.

 

"Eyyy you two are both stupid. You two should study more or both of you won't graduate with us next year.", Hyewon said and the two shut up. "So, what are you thinking about, Yujin?"

 

"I'm still thinking about how Ms. Angel knows what school I go to. She doesn't pay attention to us every time we perform plus when I talked to her it looks like she doesn't know who I am.", She said.

 

"Eyy~ Who in Daegu NU doesn't know you? You're the guitarist of the best band, Highlight.", Yena said with exaggerated voice and actions that made her two bandmates laugh.

 

"You are so full of yourself.", Hyewon said and they started laughing together. While amid laughter, Yujin saw a familiar pink-haired girl. She threw her cigarette and started running towards her.

 

"Ya! Ahn Yujin! Where are you going?!", Yena shouted but Yujin doesn't have to answer that question when they saw where the girl is running to.

 

Minjoo was walking alone, still wearing a black hoodie with the hood on. She let her hair down as usual making it stick out of her jacket's hood. She just bought lunch for her and her friend, Chaeyeon, and was just casually walking down when she heard a familiar voice calling for her using her new "nickname".

 

"ANGEEEEL!!", Yujin shouted while running towards Minjoo. She has this big smile on her face making Minjoo unconsciously smile as well.

 

"How did you even saw me?"

 

"I mean your hair just give it all.", Yujin said matter-of-factly.

 

Minjoo looked at her hair and noticed that it's really bright. She has never tried something like this before. She wanted something new so she decided to dye it. "I'll dye it to a darker color next time then", Minjoo said.

 

"Wae? You don't want me to notice you?", Yujin confusedly ask.

 

Minjoo bit her lower lip, sign that she's contemplating if she'll answer the girl truthfully. "I just don't think it's good for you to get close to me.", Yujin tilted her head quizzically, a look of puzzlement crossed her face.

 

"Why?", Yujin asked.

 

"You smell like smoke.", Minjoo said trying to change the topic. The other girl immediately smelled herself and was embarrassed that she indeed smells like cigarettes.

 

"You don't like people who smoke? If you don't I-I'll stop... but it'll be quite hard.", Yujin said while scratching the back of her head.

 

Minjoo became quite defensive with Yujin's remarks and immediately clear the misunderstanding. "No, it's not like that. I don't hate people who smoke. For me, it's just we should take care of our health more. I mean, there are a lot of people out there who wish to be as healthy as you, but unfortunately, their body failed them.", She said, sadness evident in her tone but she immediately plastered a smile and shrugged. "So don't take your health for granted."

 

"Oh.. You're right. No one has ever explained it to me that way.", She said with realization. She then smiled at Minjoo with determination. "From now on, I will quit smoking and I'll encourage my friends to do so too, although they can be stubborn sometimes.", The two laughed with Yujin's last statement. Minjoo looked at Yujin and she's genuinely happy with the other girl's decision.

 

When their laughter subsided, the two became quiet again. "So, where are you off to? Can I walk you?", Yujin asked.

 

"It's okay. I can manage.", Minjoo said. Yujin was about to protest but Minjoo cut her off. "I told you, you shouldn't get close to me. Bye.", Minjoo said and immediately run away from Yujin.

 

"See you later?!", Yujin shouted to the running Minjoo.

 

"Maybe!", She shouted back not even turning and not caring about what others will think of them.

 

"Don't dye your hair! Pink suits you!", Yujin said with a big smile that made Minjoo blush, but of course, she wouldn't let the guitarist saw it and just continue running away from her as if she heard nothing.

 

Minjoo just kept running and running until she's out of Yujin's sight. She was in front of her room when her body failed her and she collapsed. Her friend, Chaeyeon, saw her and immediately run towards her side. She was glad to see Minjoo's still conscious but her breaths are deep and heavy.

 

"Ya! Kim Minjoo! Did you run?", Chaeyeon panickily asked. Minjoo can't talk due to her heavy breathing so she just nodded her head. "Why did you run?", Chaeyeon asked but she knows that Minjoo can't answer her in this state, so she ran back to their room and searched something inside Minjoo's bag. When she found that thing she's looking for, she immediately ran back to Minjoo. "Here take this.", Chaeyeon said and Minjoo took it. 

 

After some time, Minjoo's breathing became stable. Chaeyeon is sitting beside her waiting for Minjoo to be well enough to explain what happened. Minjoo looked at Chaeyeon, uneasiness is evident in her eyes. "Chaeyeon-ah, I'm in trouble. I'm in big trouble.", Chaeyeon was confused. She doesn't understand why Minjoo would be in trouble to the point that she'll run like that.

 

"Why?"

 

"Ahn Yujin."

 

Chaeyeon's eyes bulged from shock. "."

 

THIRD BOLDEST

 

Highlight's set at the café just ended, but Yujin still can't see Minjoo anywhere. She's worried that something bad happened to her or maybe she's avoiding her.

 

After placing down their instruments, the members gathered around Yujin. Gladly, no one approached them this time, so they can tend to their gloomy friend.

 

"Yujin, are you okay?", Sakura asked worriedly. Being the leader and eldest, it became her instinct to take care of the members.

 

Yujin shook her head. "Did I scare her off?", Yujin asked her unnies.

 

"Eyy~ maybe she's busy.", Yuri said trying to cheer up the guitarist.

 

"But this is the first time I haven't seen her here.", Yujin said sadly, looking at her members asking if they have any idea what to do.

 

"Why don't we ask that cute little barista over there. She might know something about your girl.", Hyewon suggested pointing at the girl with fluffy cheeks behind the counter.

 

All of them nodded in agreement and started walking over the counter.

 

"Tomi~ Tomi~", Yena cutely called the girl but the other girl just looked at her with no expressions at all.

 

"What do you need?", She coldly asked.

 

"Eyy~ Stop being cold. Yujin just want to ask you something.", Yena said with a pout. 

 

Hitomi looked at Yujin waiting for her to ask the question. "Umm.. about that girl, sitting at the corner with pink hair who always wears a black hoodie", She started.

 

"Anonymous?", Hitomi asked.

 

"You don't know her real name?", Hyewon questioned.

 

"She has never said her name whenever she orders. She always says it's for Anonymous.", Hitomi explained. The bandmates looked at each other wondering why the girl doesn't want to reveal her name.

 

"Did she come here today?", Yujin asked.

 

Hitomi thought for a while before answering. "I have never seen her today. Thinking about it, this is the first time she didn't visit the café since I started working here.", The girl said making Yujin worry even more. 

 

Feeling like she lost her energy, Yujin sat on the chair beside her. Her members just looked at her not knowing what to do until Hitomu started talking again. "You can ask Manager Kwon. I saw them talk a couple of times. I think they know each other.", Hitomi said. Yujin's frown turned into a smile. She was about to run to Manager Kwon's office but Hitomi stopped her. "She left. She said she's going somewhere. You can just call her, maybe.", Yujin nodded and thanked the girl.

 

Yujin picked up her phone and walked outside the café. She dialed Manager Kwon's number and the other girl immediately picked it up. "Eunbi-unnie!", Yujin started.

 

"Oh Yujin, what made you call?", Eunbi asked.

 

"Where are you, Unnie? Are you busy?"

 

"I'm at the hospital right now. I'm taking care of a friend. Why? Is everything okay with the band?", Eunbi asked worriedly.

 

"Yes, unnie. We're okay. I would like to thank you again for hiring us. Performing at the café boosts are confidence, also it became a new platform for us to share our music.", Yujin said thankfully.

 

"You guys deserve it. I'm glad that a friend recommended your band to me. It was one of my best decisions.", Eunbi complimented making Yujin shy.

 

"Thank you, unnie. Also, I wanna thank your friend too. We haven't properly thanked them yet for recommending us to you.", Yujin said. Eunbi already told them about that certain friend before but they have never officially met yet.

 

"Oh.. Actually, my friend who's in the hospital now is that friend we're talking about.", Eunbi informed.

 

"We should visit her then. Can we come by there some time?", Yujin asked. She's sad knowing that a generous person like them is now sick.

 

Eunbi thought for a while before answering. "Hmm... Sure, you guys can."

 

"Thank you, unnie."

 

"Is that the reason why you call?", Eunbi asked.

 

"I have something to ask you.", Yujin said making Eunbi curious. "Hitomi told me that you are friends with the girl with pink hair who's always sitting at the corner of the café. The girl who always says her name is 'Anonymous' every time she orders." Eunbi was silent for seconds so Yujin thought that she lost her. "Unnie are you still there?", Yujin asked.

 

"Y-yeah. How did you know her?", The older girl asked.

 

"We talked yesterday and this lunch. I have been noticing her since our first day at the café. One day, I tried talking to her but she runs away when she saw me approaching so I decided not to bother her anymore. But, yesterday, my bandmates convinced me to try talking to her again and I did and we talked. I had fun talking to her even she's quite mysterious *laughs*. Today, I saw her at the cafeteria and she told me that I shouldn't get close to her but she didn't tell me why. Now, she didn't come to the café. I'm worried that something bad happened to her or maybe I scare her off or she's avoiding me. I just want to talk to her. Can you help me?", Yujin asked.

 

Eunbi thought for a while again before answering. "Come to the hospital right now and I'll tell you where she is. You can visit my friend too. I think today is a perfect time.", Yujin smiled widely hearing Eunbi's answer.

 

"Should I bring the band with me? I'm sure they want to thank your friend too."

 

"Just.. come alone for now.", Eunbi said. Yujin was confused about why she needs to come alone but she never got to ask when Eunbi suddenly said her goodbyes.

 

After the call, Yujin got a message from Eunbi about where they will meet up. She went back inside the café and told her members about what Eunbi said. They give her their approvals and told her to pick something up for Eunbi's friend.

 

She runs towards her car and started driving.

 

When she arrived at the hospital, she texted Eunbi that she's already there and she'll be waiting at the lobby. She picked up the fruits and other foods she bought from the convenience store, then went out of her car.

 

She waited in the lobby for a couple of minutes when she saw Eunbi walking towards her.

 

"Unnie!", She happily greeted with a wave.

 

"I think you bought a lot.", Eunbi said with a small laugh eyeing the bags on each of Yujin's hands.

 

"Unnies told me to pick up some. I don't know what to buy so I just bought everything I like. I hope they like it.", Yujin said quite embarrassed.

 

"Eyy~ She'll like it of course.", Eunbi said and took one of the bags from Yujin's hand. 

 

The guitarist noticed the older girl's use of pronouns. "'She', so they're a girl.", Yujin thought.

 

They started walking down the hospital's corridor and stopped at room 011.

 

"Here we are", Eunbi said when they're in front of the room.

 

Yujin looked at Eunbi. "By the way, unnie, what's the name of your friend."

 

"Kim Minjoo."

 

"Oh, she has a nice name.", Yujin said. Eunbi smiled at her lightly.

 

The older girl opened the door. The first thing Yujin saw is a girl, she's petite, has fair skin, about 5'5" of height, and has a black hair. The girl is not wearing a hospital gown, so Yujin concluded that she's not the friend Eunbi and her are talking about. She tried to look at the face of the girl who's laying in bed, but this black-haired girl is blocking her view.

 

When the girl saw Yujin, her face turned into a shock. She then turned her head towards Eunbi and her expression changes into mixed of mad and confused.

 

"Chaeyeon let me explain.", Eunbi said when she saw the other girl's face.

 

Yujin doesn't understand what's happening so she was just there standing by the door looking at the two girls who she thinks are about to fight.

 

"Hey what's happening?", The girl laying on the bed asked. The voice of the girl is so familiar to Yujin. Her heart started beating so loud, her palms became sweaty. Thoughts started running through her mind and before she could process what's happening, she just found herself in front of the girl she has been looking for these past hours.

 

"It's you?" "Why are you here?", They asked simultaneously.

 

Before Chaeyeon could interrupt the two, Eunbi pulled her out of the room.

 

The two girls are confused about what's happening. They have a lot of questions in mind. 

 

"How did you know I'm here?", Yujin felt like all of her energy was taken out of her. She felt like her head was spinning from all of the thoughts running through her mind. She felt like her legs are going to fail her so she sat on a chair at the corner of the room, few feet away from the bed. She started feeling mixed emotions of pain, anger, shock, and fear. Nonetheless, she tried to collect herself and answer Minjoo's question.

 

"Eunbi-unnie told me that the person who recommended the band to her is now confined in this hospital.", She explained. Shocked was evident in Minjoo's face when she heard what Yujin said. She looked at the closed door, noting in her mind that she needs to talk to Eunbi after this. "It's you? Do you know about us? Do you know about me? Why did you act like you don't? Why are you here? Are you sick? What happened?", Yujin asked continuously while looking at Minjoo's eyes as if she's searching for the answers in there.

 

Minjoo looked away from Yujin and just stared at the window, looking at the view of the small park beside the hospital. "That's a lot of question, Ahn Yujin-ssi. I don't think I have to answer those.", She coldly said and it sparked rage inside Yujin's body. The guitarist stood up angrily and started walking in front of Minjoo so the other girl will have no choice but to look at her.

 

"What do you mean you don't have to?", Yujin said with a sarcastic laugh. "What the hell are you doing to me? Are you playing with me? Am I a joke to you? Because this.. whatever this is, it's not funny.", Yujin said, anger evident in her voice.

 

Minjoo looked at Yujin's eyes, she saw anger but she can also see pain. She doesn't want to see Yujin at this state. She never wanted to hurt Yujin. She shouldn't have talked to her in the first place. Know she's right, she's in big trouble. "I'm not playing with you. Just get out, Yujin. Please."

 

Yujin's mind is set to get those answers that she needs, so she shook her head and said, "I won't unless you answer my questions. Did you know that not seeing you at the café made me worried sick? And now, seeing you like this.. makes it worse. Just tell me what's happening please.", Her voice changed from anger to concern.

 

Minjoo is having an internal battle whether she's going to tell Yujin about everything or just stick to what she promised to herself. A few minutes of silence has passed, Yujin was patiently waiting for Minjoo's answer. As each second passed by, knowing that Minjoo is thinking about it, Yujin felt more confident that she'll get the answer she needed but her world immediately came crumbling down when she heard Minjoo. "I can't, Yujin. Please just go. Forget about me. Live your life the way it was before you met me.", After hearing those words, tears started falling out of Yujin's eyes.

 

"Why?! Are you that afraid of me getting to know you?!", Yujin asked desperately. 

 

Seeing Yujin cry feels like hundreds of knives are stabbing Minjoo right in the heart. She started wiping her tears, she doesn't even know that she's already crying. "Yes! Yes, I am afraid that If I let you in my life, I'll just end up hurting you someday! So please go! Just go!!!", After saying what she's been feeling since the day she met Yujin, she felt her heartbeat increases dramatically and she was gasping for air. Her chest started to tighten and she can't do anything but to hold it as if it's going to make everything better. The machines connected to her started beeping. Yujin was in a panic, gladly Chaeyeon and Eunbi immediately entered the room.

 

"Minjoo!" Chaeyeon shouted. She saw that the girl is having an attack and immediately pushed the emergency button to call the doctors and nurses.

 

"What's happening?", Yujin worriedly asked Eunbi.

 

"Just get out, for now, Yujin.", Eunbi said leading Yujin out of the room.

 

"Is she okay?", Yujin asked looking at Minjoo.

 

"She will be. Just wait outside for now.", Eunbi said. Even though Yujin doesn't want to, but knowing that her being there might make everything worse, she obliged to Eunbi's orders.

 

Doctors and nurses started to rush into the room where Minjoo was in. Eunbi followed them inside. Yujin was left alone outside, she felt tired and lifeless, not to mention worried-sick about Minjoo. Her legs and whole body failed her and she fell to the floor, looking at the door of the room, waiting for anyone to come out.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter