Behind The Mask

Jinjoo OS Fiesta S2: Swan's Secret Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Adventure, High School

Summary: Kim Minjoo is an average teenage girl. She goes to school, fails tests, and has a crush on a schoolmate. Although there was one thing about her that others don’t have—she lives a double life as a student and an agent who aims to prevent evil.

Word Count: 6950

Hashtag: #JinjooFiestaS2_BehindTheMask

 

Behind The Mask

 

It was a bright and sunny Thursday as classes can be seen on going in ENOZI High School. Minjoo is currently in class, although her mind was in a completely different state. She can't seem to focus on anything their teacher was saying.  She was too busy playing with her pen to pay attention. Yuri, her seatmate and also her best friend, saw what she was doing as she nudged her elbow at her.

 

"Yah, Minjoo. Would it hurt for you to pay attention in class? We have a quiz after this so you better start listening." said her best friend who was now listening to their teacher once again, giving Minjoo a glance here and there. "Don't worry, I already know that. Photosynthesis is good for people. It helps them digest food well?" Minjoo told Yuri unsurely. She heard about this before in her lower year but she still couldn't remember what it really was.

 

"Oh, boy. You're doomed." Yuri says as she facepalmed.

 

A few more minutes into their class when Minjoo noticed someone familiar pass by the corridor, heading to the restroom near them.  Minjoo immediately raised her hand to call for the teacher's attention. "Yes, Ms. Kim?" The teacher asks as she looked at her. "May I go out?" She asked her.

 

"Yes, you may. But please hurry, we'll start the quiz once you get back." Their teacher tells her as Minjoo stood up excitedly, preparing to go. Yuri stopped her before she could even leave. "Are you seriously going to prioritize seeing her than studying for the quiz?" She says through gritted teeth. "This will only take a minute, Yul. No worries." Minjoo silently muttered to her friend as she went her way out of the room to head straight to the restroom.

///

 

Minjoo silently walked pass the classrooms, to avoid disturbance to the other class. The girl she has been following already went right which urged Minjoo to quicken her pace. She was about to turn right when the girl suddenly looked behind her, checking if someone was following her. Good thing, Minjoo was quick to act. She hid behind the pile of chairs that was outside the corridor that time. The girl didn't see anyone behind her as she shrugged it off and continued entering the restroom that was now right beside her.

 

Minjoo let out a sigh of relief before peeking over the chairs to see where the girl was. She knew she couldn't go inside the restroom with her inside since it would be too obvious that she was following her. She waited for a minute until the girl finally went out. From Minjoo's view, she could see the beautiful features of the girl well. Her short brown hair that stopped right just below her shoulders, her deep brown eyes that turns to a shade of honey as the sun hits it, and not to mention her tall figure that Minjoo seems to memorize by now. She was in awe looking at the girl in front of her.

 

Due to her being in trance of the girl's beauty, she didn't notice that she moved the chairs that was supposed to be her cover. And at that moment, she knew she was in deep trouble. The chairs toppled down making a huge noise that caused the latter to look back and see the one who was hiding from it. While being on the floor, Minjoo used her hands to cover herself as if it was going to do her well.

 

The girl went near Minjoo's side to see if she was fine. "Are you alright? Here, let me help you." She said as she reached her hand out for Minjoo to take. Minjoo stared at the girl's face for a minute, deciding whether she should accept her help or not. Of course, Minjoo took her hand for her to be able to help her out. She wouldn't want to let the opportunity go with her being able to hold her hand. In a matter of seconds, their faces were already near each other. The girl pulled Minjoo up too powerful that made their distance really close.

 

Minjoo noticed this as she pushed the girl lightly, blushing at the process. "I'm okay. Thanks for helping me out." She said without looking at the girl. The girl smiled at her that showed her dimples. "That's good to hear. Just be careful next time, okay?" She said before turning the other way and heading straight back to her class.

 

Slowly, Minjoo looked up. She was now staring dreamily at the girl in front of her who was now walking back to class. She sighed before smiling cheekily. "I can't wait to tell Yuri about this.”

///

 

The classes for the day were already done as Minjoo can be seen looking down on a piece of paper with a frown on her face. "Aish, Minjoo. I told you to study. Look what happened to your score." Yuri tells her friend. "Ah Yuri-yah, I did study. I just wasn’t able to focus that much with Yujin in my mind." She looked at her friend with a pout.

 

"Well, that's what you get when you prioritize love life before school." Yuri chuckles. "On the bright side, you got to hold her hand." The frown that was once on Minjoo's face turned into a smile as Yuri reminded her of what happened earlier. "Yeah, you're right." Minjoo smiled as a dreamy look can be seen from her. "Aigoo, what will I do to you?" Yuri says, shaking her head in disapproval.

 

They were about to enter their next class when Minjoo's phone vibrated, signaling she got a message. Minjoo looked at her phone to see who the message was from. It was from “Agent Orange” with a message that read, ‘Agent Snow White, we need you to finish the mission tonight. Be there 15 minutes before seven. It's time that we get this done.'  Minjoo let out a sigh, knowing what it meant.

 

Yuri noticed this as she asks her, "You okay, Min? Seems like you've heard bad news." Minjoo turned her phone off as she puts it inside her pocket before answering, "I'm okay, nothing to worry about. Let's just head to class." Yuri nodded but still looked at Minjoo worriedly. She didn't know why her friend was acting this way but decided not to push the topic.

 

///

 

It was already 7:30 when Minjoo arrived on the said place. She was positioned on top of a building parallel to a Chinese Restaurant. She was wearing an all-white catsuit with a white domino mask that covered the area around her eyes. She needed to wear this kind of outfit to avoid giving away her identity. She had binoculars on to see if the target was already in the premises. "Any sign of him yet?" A voice can be heard through her in ear. "Not yet. It isn't time for him to show up yet. He'll come around." She says while scanning the place, making sure he hasn't come yet. "Oh, and Snow White," the voice added, "A puppy's coming your way. Don't be surprised."


 

"Wait, what?? I can do this job on my own, tell her not to come." Suddenly, she heard a voice from behind. "Too late for that." The voice said before chuckling. It was another agent from the agency, one who Minjoo hates to be exact. It was Agent Puppy, an agent who always "helps" Minjoo with her assignment. Minjoo hates her because she thinks Agent Puppy only comes to boast about her skills in shooting, in which Minjoo lacks.

 

In the agency, they give you code names to keep your identity hidden. At this point, Minjoo hated Agent Puppy even without knowing who she really was. "Came to start the party without me?" Agent Puppy was wearing a similar catsuit and mask like Minjoo. The only difference was Agent Puppy's costume was in all blue. She went near Minjoo's side to grab the rifle out of the case.

 

"Uhm, excuse me. But that's my rifle you're holding." The puppy continued to assemble the rifle, not giving much attention to Minjoo. "Yeah, I know. That's why I'm using it." She nonchalantly said before finishing to assemble the rifle. "Why are you looking at me? Shouldn't you watch out for the guy to see if he's already coming?" Agent Puppy asked Minjoo who was too busy staring at her angrily.

 

"Oh yeah, right. How dumb of me but he isn't going to be here in like--" Minjoo stopped mid-sentence when she finally saw him through the binoculars. "He's here." She said to Agent Puppy who already has the AMW rifle directed towards the target. "I got a visual. Fire when ready." Minjoo waited for the signal in her in ear. As soon as she heard it, she gave Agent Puppy a thumbs up as the puppy did her job. It was a clean shot; it went straight to his head. A headshot, to be exact.

 

"Whoo!" A certain puppy cheered. "Did you see that Snow White-ssi? I got a headshot?" Minjoo just rolled her eyes before speaking. "Yeah, yeah. It was a headshot. Good for you, not to mention this is your fifth time getting it." She was furious seeing the puppy get another headshot. Another headshot, on her mission. "What's with the annoyed face? I did our mission for us, didn't I?" The girl said, looking at Minjoo confusedly.

 

"Our mission? Bold of you to assume it's our mission when--" Minjoo stopped talking when she felt the puppy just staring at her. She breathed in and out before speaking again. "Okay, fine. Nice work team." She said sarcastically as the latter smiled happily on what she said. "Team, I like the sound of that." Minjoo rolled her eyes at her. She didn't even get her sarcasm.

 

They were now watching the scene below. A lot of police cars and ambulance were seen near the restaurant. The body of the victim was now on the floor, with a lot of blood gushing out from it. Both the two agents were watching from a far. No one dared to speak, until Minjoo spoke up. "You know, I just hate the sight of blood. Maybe that's why I'm not really good at shooting." Surprised, the agent looked at her. "You don't like the sight of blood? Maybe this ain’t the job for you miss."

 

Minjoo looked at her annoyedly before giving her a small tsk. "Okay, best be off then. I have school tomorrow and I have to go get my beauty sleep." Minjoo stood up as she stretched, preparing to go leave. "Oh, wait." The puppy says, Minjoo looks back with her eyebrows furrowed. "I was thinking maybe we could grab dinner. You and me, without revealing our identities of course. I haven't had dinner yet maybe we could grab some together."

 

Minjoo scoffed hearing her say this. "Maybe next time. I’m not in the mood to get all cozied up with you." Hearing what Minjoo said made the puppy frown. Minjoo saw this and felt guilty. "Oh, uhm...I didn't mean it like that. I really have things to do so I better be off then. There's always a next time." A small smile was now evident in the other agent's face. "I'll take your word on that." Agent Puppy says before also heading out.

 

Minjoo sighed, thinking why would she say that? She was too nice not being able to turn anyone down, that's why she just had to say it. With thoughts still on her mind, Minjoo kept on walking that she didn't notice there was an elevated path ahead. She was about to trip when someone had catch her before she could even hit the ground. "Got you." The person said as Minjoo opened her eyes slowly to see who it was. It was Agent Puppy, the one who caught her. She was holding on to Minjoo's waist with one hand as Minjoo's hands can be found wrapped around the agent's neck, to avoid herself from falling.

 

Minjoo quickly got up, dusted herself, as she gave the agent a small bow before going on her way. Minjoo was flustered about what happened that she didn't want to face the puppy who caught her just in time. If only Minjoo knew who she was.

 

///

 

Being an agent sure was a tough work for Minjoo. Not only that, but she has to balance her teenage life along with being an agent. Minjoo didn't really want to be an agent at first, but once the company takes interests in you, there'll be no way out. Minjoo was recruited when she was still in fifth grade. She took a test for physical education that time and aced it. That's when the company took interests in her. They saw her potential in physical training and how her face compliments her. Not only she'll do well in jobs that involves going physical but also, she can easily deceive people with her looks. Although her looks isn't that much used for missions since she has to wear a mask to avoid being known by the public. The agency wouldn't want those who were taken care of swarm their agents after finishing a job.

 

The agency that Minjoo works for is called 'Agency To Prevent Evil' or in short, ATPE. The company is known as someone who prevents evil for further taking over the country. They prevent it by either kidnapping the head or the easier way, they kill them. The guy they killed earlier was the head of a well-known drug dealer in the country. Not only do they sell drugs, but they are also responsible for the high rate of party drugs found in high-end universities in Korea. Kidnapping the guy would stir up even more complicated issues for the company, that’s why they’ve decided to kill him. Killing him would be a lot easier than keeping him alive. 

 

Minjoo wasn't really fond of killing, that's why she doesn't hone her skills in shooting. Because shooting, leads to killing. The company didn't argue with Minjoo at that point. They just let her do what she wants since she is one of their best agents. But instead, they assigned her with Agent Puppy. She was assigned with Minjoo to help her overcome her fear of killing. That's why most of time Agent Puppy is the one who does the shooting, just like how Minjoo mentioned of her having a headshot five times. Minjoo wasn't aware of Agent Puppy's presence. She just thought the company wanted to have Agent Puppy in the field with her, for her to teach her about the basics since Agent Puppy looked a lot younger than her. Agent Puppy was more than glad to accompany the latter. The puppy took interest in the girl as she saw her being all cool in the company and on her missions, not to mention pretty, even with her mask on. Minjoo might haven’t noticed it yet but a certain puppy was smitten by her.

 

Minjoo laid down on her bed staring at the ceiling, wondering about the events earlier. "Ahh, Minjoo. You are so dumb. Why would you say that to Agent Puppy? She might think I feel the same about her or something." She kept on hitting her head, trying to knock some sense to herself.  "If only she was Yujinnie, I would have said yes to her right away." She took a breath in and out before finally deciding to sleep.

 

///



 

Wednesday came in a flash as Minjoo can be seen in front of the lockers, getting her stuff for the day. "Minjoo-yah~" Someone calls out. It was Yuri. She stopped in front of the lockers next to Minjoo. "You feeling fine now?" She asked Minjoo as she looked at her with a worried expression. Minjoo smiled at her friend's effort. "I am, thanks for worrying about me." Yuri smiled back before saying, "Of course, what are friends for? Now we better head to class. We don't wanna be late for our first class."

 

Minjoo and Yuri was now seated in their seat as the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter