* 여덟

The Real Me

Thanks to the conversation with the Lord, I start to think about all the things I have been through and everything starts to make sense. So many kids were hurt because of the marks I left behind in their neck and I craved so many times for some blood, it now all starts to make sense. I now start to realise what kind of monster I am.

''You see the necklace you're wearing? Many vampires have a piece of jewelry or a garb that prevents the vampires to burn in the sun. I'm sure you wear this necklace since you were born, something they always suggest when a vampire wants to live among the humans. In your case, it's different. You are partly human, so you are used to a human life already. You are immortal, so there is no way that you will die unless you get killed. But you don't have the same strength as a vampire and you also can't run with a faster speed. Other than that, you are completely normal.'' the Lord continues to explain and I'm amazed by how much he knows about vampires and creatures like me. Did he seriously do a lot of research on this?

I look at my necklace and I can't keep my eyes away from it. I indeed wear it for as long as I can remember, but I never knew that it would have a certain meaning. So if I take it off, it would mean that I can't go outside through daytime? Now it makes sense. I look up to the Lord again and I slightly bow. My entire life starts to make sense now and it all was one big lie. 

''B-But what about my parents?'' I then ask out of the blue and I sigh. If it turns out that Dahyun, the twins and my dad aren't my biological family, I don't think I can return home. But where should I go? I have nowhere to go. My mind already is in a big chaos and I can't deal with it if my family turns out to be my adoptive family. Hakyeon gets up and makes his way to me, before he takes a seat in front of me on his knees. Hakyeon places a hand on my shoulder and faintly smiles.

''That's something you need to figure out yourself, I don't know. My father has only seen you with the parents who raised you.'' Hakyeon says and I nod. I will continue to believe that my dad is my biological father until I can find evidence that he isn't. I never knew that a conversation with the Lord would be this mindblowing. I just discovered that I'm a monster for 50% and that I can also act like one. It terrifies me, but I have to accept it. And that's something I can't do just yet.

I'm allowed to leave and I thank both Hakyeon and the Lord for this conversation. I also share with them that I am looking forward to see them around at the festival tonight, which the two of them appreciate. I leave the palace and a lot is going on in my head. Everything that happened in the past start to make sense now, I am indeed a monster. I am like the Raveners... a monster. But how can I tell my dad about this? I don't think I can, I just need to find a moment for that.

The noises of people enjoying their time at the festival fill my ears. I will take all of the information in once I get back home, because I now want to enjoy the festival. It's the first time in forever since I have been outside at night and I want to cherish every single moment. I leave through the gates and I see that people are glaring at me, but I now understand why. Now, I don't give a damn about it anymore.

Right when I'm about to walk away from the palace, someone grabs me from behind and places a hand on my mouth to hold back my screams. People still look at us, but their looks show worry. I can't stop this person from taking me any further, but I wonder where we're going. Panic ofcourse is very much present right now, but it won't get me out of this situation.

I'm being pushed into an alley and my head hits the wall, but the hand remains on my mouth. I can't see the person standing across from me, but I can tell that it's a cold hand. Does that mean that the Raveners are among the people now? Should I be scared?

''Good to know you just discovered your true identity. You come with me until you finally have yourself under control, a hybrid like you shouldn't be here.'' the voice says and whatever happens after that, is happening way too fast. The first thing I know is that I'm in the alley and the next thing I know, is that I'm somewhere in an unknown cave. Where am I? What is this place? Why am I here?

''This is where you will stay until you can keep yourself under control. You are a danger for everybody in town, no wonder why people don't like someone like you. Oh, one more thing... you are adopted. That family that you were with tonight isn't your real family. Hybrid or not, you shouldn't have a family... Taekwoon.'' the voice says and I look into the direction where the voice comes from. This person stands with his back towards me and from the back I can tell that this man has long hair, it's longer than mine. 

The person turns around and smiles when our eyes connect. He makes his way over to me and kneels down in front of me, his hand resting on my shoulder. I feel very uneasy and I really wanna leave, but I don't know where I'm at and I also don't know how I can leave this place. And did he just say that I am adopted? Does that mean that Dahyun and the twins aren't my biological siblings? Then who is my biological family? 

''You won't go anywhere, Taekwoon. You can't go anywhere in this state, I don't think your 'family' would appreciate it to see you like this. You're half human and you still act like a newborn vampire.'' the unknown man tells me and I keep looking at him without showing any expression, but I freak out in my head. The man starts to smile and removes his hand from my shoulder, but keeps looking at me.

''You know that I can hear your thoughts right? It seems that you have recieved enough information today about yourself. It's a shame everything is kept away from you, so you had to face all of it yourself one day.'' the man says and I can't help but sigh. I think I will go on the journey first to find out who my parents are before I am able to accept myself as this half human and half monster.

''And now I wanna know your name. You may know mine, but I don't know yours.'' I then say, since it's the only thing I can say right now. I never will be the same again after finding out that I'm only human for 50%, I don't understand how my father raised me like this. I am sure that he knew that I am a monster for 50%, I'm sure that my mum knew about it aswell.

''My name is Choi Sangchul and I'm a 500 year old vampire.'' the man responds and I slightly nod. At least I know his name. Sangchul's facial expressions scare me, he is a lot scarier than I am. But if he claims to help me out with my dark side, then I should believe that for now. But I still want to get out of here, because I'm sure that Dahyun and the twins are worried about me.