* 열셋

The Real Me

I'm in the diningroom together with the Cha family, as I sit next to Hakyeon. It feels a bit like coming home, but it feels weird at the same time. I'm scared to be honest, because I don't wanna be judged upon by the Cha family. Once the Lord says that we can eat, I bow like everyone else does and I start to eat. One bowl has a cap on it and by the smell, I can tell that this is a bowl with blood. I don't wanna drink it in front of the Cha's, I need to do it when I'm alone. I start with the human food and I gotta admit that it tastes really good.

''What do you think, Taekwoon?'' the Lord asks when I have taken just a few bites from my food. I have to admit that I never have tasted something like this before, it tastes kinda luxurious. I kinda feel guilty to eat this, but I can't refuse this meal. I carefully raise my head and I carefully make eyecontact with the Lord, while seeing a smiling Hakyeon in the corner of my eye. 

''I have never eaten something like this, but it tastes good. It has that luxurious taste to it, because my mother never was able to make this.'' I share, kinda feeling on the inside that I couldn't lie about this. Hakyeon smiles and places a hand on my shoulder, at the same time when the Lord starts to smile aswell. 

''I am glad that you like it. You will taste more of these meals in the time that you will stay with us, I will tell the cooks that you loved it.'' the Lord says and continues to eat. I continue aswell, but I eat a lot slower than everyone here in the room. I'm nervous of what I can expect in the training of today, but the questions about what I am going to learn today of my other half remain in my head. I wish I wasn't this special and that I could live a normal life, just like my dad and my siblings. But when I think about the Raveners coming to attack this town every night, I should be glad that I now have the opportunity to train and to become stronger, so that I can protect my family at all costs. 

Hakyeon places a hand on my shoulder and my eyes connect with his once I look into the comforting eyes of him. It starts to become obvious to me that Hakyeon senses whenever I struggle with something or whenever I feel uncomfortable, because he is constantly looking at me with this same look in his eyes and he also loves to place a hand on my shoulder. Is there something going on with Hakyeon? I don't know, but this is quite uncomfortable for me and I don't know how to make it clear to him. I appreciate his efforts, but I never have experienced something with anyone like this.

I look away from him and I continue to eat, finishing my human meal at some point. Then, I come to the bowl of blood. I'm glad that the cap is still on there, because I can start to feel on the inside that I can't resist the smell of it any longer. But I have to keep myself under control before I am going to start on it, although it's easier said than done. Because what I went through back during that night, happens again. I start to breathe heavier and my desire for that blood increases. Right when I remove the cap from the bowl, I pick up the bowl and I start to drink as if I haven't eaten in a year. I don't even know what is going on around me, I only have eye for my food. Within seconds, I finish that meal aswell.

''It's okay Taekwoon, newborn vampires always behave this way. You'll learn in the upcoming trainings how to overcome this phase.'' the Lord says and after I get myself back together, I look up at him while cleaning my mouth with a piece of cloth that was next to my bowl. I still feel kinda embarassed to eat like an animal in front of someone like the Lord, but he at least doesn't judge me. Besides, he knew about me all this time. So there is no way he would think in a bad way about me, or does he secretly?

Once everyone finished their food, the maids come in and pick up our bowls. It was great, I have to admit. But I can't choose this food over the food I grew up with at home. Hakyeon smiles when he looks at me, something I can see in the corner of my eye. But I decide not to look, I don't feel that comfortable around him just yet. I have to be here for just a bit longer to get used to Hakyeon being around me. 

''Alright Taekwoon. You can follow Hakyeon to the practice room. Over there, you will train a couple of hours each day. But you also get classes over there about vampires, you'll learn about how vampires are like and you'll learn about their way of behaving. You also will learn how you can properly eat and you will learn how to be a skilled fighter. As long as you're not skilled enough, you will stay here.'' the Lord says and I nod. I'm glad he wants to help me out to stand strong against the Raveners and against Sangchul. I also need to do this for my mother, who is missing for quite some time and I haven't heard any news of her ever since.

I get up with Hakyeon and I bow one more time, before I follow Hakyeon. I can only hope that today's training isn't that tough, but just hoping isn't enough. From now on, I have to train every day and I'm not able to return home until I am skilled enough. I need to be strong enough to fight against the Raveners and to Sangchul. But I also want to know more about why I am a monster for 50%, so maybe I can start to look for my biological parents if it turns out that my parents aren't my biological parents. I have to start this adventure by myself, because I can't rely on others. They either don't know much about my biological parents or they hold something back from me, so I need to figure all of this out by myself.

On our way there, I meet several servants and several scholars who seem curious about me. I don't know if the Lord has explained to them who I am and why I'm here, but I'm sure he will soon if he hasn't. For now, I don't want to care about it and focus on my training. I wish my life was as free as I used to know it, without being a monster for 50%. I still don't want to accept that I'm for 50% a vampire. Vampires are monsters, they always have been. But I wanna know why I am one for just 50%, why is it me who has to go through this?