* 십

The Real Me

When we return, I let go of this mysterious guy and we walk to the palace. As I already expected, the Lord is waiting for us with his family and he is accompanied by my family aswell. But yet again, my mum isn't there with them. Is she really dead? Is she killed? I have so many questions about her not being here, but I don't think I'll be able to ask them. Dahyun and the twins are crying, while the three of them run towards me. My dad just stands next to the Lord and his family.

''Taekwoon-ah, we thought you were dead. We were so freaking worried.'' Dahyun cries and I also can't help but cry. It's been 2 weeks since I have seen them for the last time, so it's quite emotional to see them again. But our family still isn't complete, my mum isn't here with us. I can only assume that she is dead. But if she is dead, I hope that she has found peace and that she doesn't have to suffer where I go through right now. I still feel like a damn monster and I don't think that it will change anytime soon.

''I was kidnapped by a vampire, who forced me to live with him until I was ready enough to return. But thankfully, I was saved by him.'' I tell Dahyun and Dahyun starts to cry even louder. I feel relieved to be back, but I also am kinda scared. Because Sangchul can come back to kidnap me again, but the Raveners can also come for me again.I need to to train as soon as possible, so that I can defend myself against them. 

I look at Hakyeon and the rest of his family, who seem quite relieved for me to be back. As far as I can hear, both Hakyeon and his father were worried that I have disappeared that night and they believed that I had run off with someone. Although that is something very unlikely, because everyone in town knows that I never run off with someone that easily without telling anyone.

''Come on, let's get inside. We don't allow all of you to return home this fast. But first, let's have a drink together and let's talk about the time Taekwoon has been away from us.'' the Lord says and I bow towards him. The Lord and his family turn around and make their way inside, while me and the rest of my family are following them. Dahyun still has an arm around my waist, as her other arm is wrapped around my neck. My dad is taking the twins with him inside and I can feel Hakyeon's eyes on me, since I'm basically looking around me. Gosh, I have missed this and I don't think I want to leave at all. I mean, I grew up in this town and it'll be hard for me to establish a life somewhere else. But only if Sangchul and the Raveners aren't going to annoy the hell out of me.

''You're okay, Dahyun? It feels like you don't at all.'' I focus on Dahyun as I feel her tremble. If she trembles because of me, I don't know what to do. But one thing is for sure, I'm not going to leave again. I grew up here and this is my home, no one can get me away from here.

''Not really. I'm glad that you're back, but I'm scared that you're going to be taken away again. I mean, there are so many out there who are after you. It starts to make sense piece by piece why the Raveners are in this town killing people and why people aren't fans of you. But that doesn't mean that I don't like you as my brother, I truly do.'' Dahyun explains and there is a lot of sadness heard in her voice. It's a good thing that it starts to become clear why the Raveners are after me, but Sangchul appeared out of nowhere. I'm a monster for 50% and I still haven't accepted this side yet. I don't think I'll be able to accept myself, not until I find out who are my biological parents and why they abandoned me like this. 

On our way inside, there are a lot of women looking at us. I don't know why these women are here, but I don't care actually. Besides, they're not that pretty at all by the way they're dressed. Their head looks like as if it can't carry all of that hair. Just the women outside of these walls are pretty enough. Then, I hear their thoughts and they aren't too pleased with us here. We're nothing but poor people in their eyes. But hey, we are at least happy.

We make our way straight to the room where I was talking to Hakyeon and his father shortly before I got kidnapped. This is the place where I was told that I'm a half breed and the place where I started to realise everything I have been through... the puzzlepieces slowly started to fall together. But not everything, I still need to find more information and I will start this journey myself. I mean, this is something to complete my personal puzzle.

''Have a seat, please.'' the Lord says and the five of us do as we're told to do. Gayoon crawls to me and climbs upon my lap, resulting in a chuckle coming from Hakyeon. I am loved among kids in general, but my biggest fans always appear to be Gayoon and Honggi. Dahyun's head is resting on my shoulder and a sigh of relief escapes . I'm glad to be back too, but for how long? When will Sangchul strike again? Is he connected to the Raveners? I have no idea, but it's all too much to process.

''If I may speak on behalf of my son, I am glad that you returned healthy and unharmed. I hope that this mysterious person didn't do anything to you, because I will do everything to protect you. That's the best I can do.'' the Lord says and I nod in response. Well, Sangchul wanted to train me to act like a vampire. But I didn't like his way of training that much. Sangchul wanted me to shut off my humanity and to live as a vampire, but I can't do that. I have to give up so much if I have to give up my humanity and I just can't do that, it's too much.

''This vampire kidnapped me in order to say goodbye to my humanity and to live as a vampire, but I can't do that. I have so much to give up for that and I can't make that sacrifice. I need to find the balance between both sides, whether I like it or not. I don't wanna live as a monster, that's not how I was raised. I just need to go and find the other answers myself, because I am only able to understand and accept this life if all the puzzle pieces are together.'' I share and it's then that the eyes of everyone in the room start to widen.

''What? He wanted you to say goodbye to this life of yours? I don't know much about vampires, but I can tell right now that they are very cruel.'' the Lord says and I remain silent. Hakyeon takes a deep breath and I can feel his eyes burn on me, but I just let it be. Hakyeon has been staring at me ever since I returned, which makes me feel very uncomfortable. Maybe he is just concerned about me...