* 세

The Real Me

While my dad and I make our way through the market, I can feel people glaring at me. I look like them, so why should I get all of their attention? Ever since I was a teen, people started to keep an eye on me. The fact that I can hear what is going on in their minds drives me crazy, but not even my dad knows why I can hear their thoughts and why he can't. Ugh, let it slide. No one can ever answer this certain question.

These days, the market place is more crowded and I wonder why. It's not because of the Raveners, because the Raveners only take people's lives and they don't rob us. I also don't think that an event is coming up, but I could be wrong too. Sometimes I'm not aware of what is going on in this town, but there are plenty of kids who educate me on upcoming events and more. And just like I expected, a few young boys come to me.

''Taekwoon-ah! Have you heard it? The Lord is coming with his family to attent the Summer Nights Festival tonight.'' Eunwoo says as the group stops in front of me and my dad. I am loved by many young children and they ask me a lot if I can help them with homework or with something else. I also help them with some techniques for any fights in the future, since the kids see me as a skilled fighter. Wait, I have heard something of that festival. I just didn't realise that it was going to take place tonight and I also didn't know that the Lord of this town is coming to this festival with his family.

''No, I didn't know that. I also didn't realise that the festival was going to be held tonight, thank you for reminding me.'' I tell Eunwoo and the boys start to squeal, but not that loud to prevent that people would turn annoyed. If I miss out on any news, Eunwoo and his friends are there to let me know. I don't need a newspaper, because I have Eunwoo and his friends to tell me anything. Eunwoo knows about my very pale skin aswell, but never asks about it. He did once, but I told him that I have no idea. Some of his friends can't help but ask all the time why I look like a ghost, which makes me feel a bit embarrassed. 

''Oh well, see you tonight then.'' Eunwoo says as he and his friends run away while a laugh of joy is spread across the boys. My dad looks at me as if he has seen a ghost and immediately shakes his head, which is a clear sign to me: He doesn't want me there tonight. My dad wants to protect me, he believes that the Raveners are coming after me anytime soon. So my dad wants to protect me on all costs. I whine when I look at him, but my dad keeps shaking his head.

''You better not go there, I will lock you up in our home for 3 weeks if you do so. No one is allowed to visit you then.'' my dad says in a stern voice and I groan, because I was excited to go tonight. Even Dahyun wants me to join her tonight, so why is dad so much against it? Dahyun will protect me and will keep an eye on me, so I have to go. I need to go out and have some fun. My dad wants to keep me away from everything for no reason, but I am just like everybody else.

''Dad, why? You've been telling me things I'm not allowed to do or places I'm not allowed to go to, why don't you tell me what is going on?'' I sound quite frustrated and I actually am very frustrated. My dad keeps keeping secrets from me and apparently, he manages to hide it well. I scared myself by reading someone's thoughts, but I can't read any of these thoughts in my dad's mind. My dad did look away in the mean time to negotiate and pretended not to hear me, but he looks at me once he paid for whatever he was negotiating for.

''Taekwoon, just no. You know how many times your mum and I told you how dangerous it's out there. We can't tell you just yet why you can't live a normal life like we can, but just listen to us. That's the only thing you can do right now.'' my dad says and places a hand on my shoulder as he keeps the groceries in his other hand. I sigh as I look at him.

''Taekwoon-ah, just listen to your dad okay? Kids can be such a rebel these days and I don't like to see you being one. I'm not used to see you become such a rebelious kid, just follow your dad's orders okay?'' the old man says and I sigh yet again, before I nod. I grew up around so many secrets and I wanna know what is going on, I wanna know why they're keeping secrets from me. Maybe I should figure it out myself, because I apparently can't depend on my dad. Would Dahyun know about this? Oh well, I'll let it rest for today. But one day, I will find out about my life.

My dad and I walk further down the market and it sounds peaceful. Everyone is excited about the Lord and his family coming over to the festival tonight and I just can't seem to understand why I should stay indoors. It's really boring to be inside, because I'm the only one who isn't allowed to go outside tonight. Dahyun keeps talking about the kids of the Lord ever since she was young. Dahyun's dream is to get married to one of those sons. Ehm, sure.

''I think he's sick, why is he so freaking pale? He should get some rest.'' some of the people whisper. I try not to respond to it, since my parents told me not to respond to the comments that people make. I was told that I was born with a skin that is just a bit more pale than the others, but everyone here doesn't seem to have peace with it. People keep complaining about my skin, but I wanna know why people don't like me. Only then, I am able to understand what people have against me.

My dad wraps his hand around my wrist and drags me with him. I can feel the uncomfort through his hand, so I assume my dad understands that it starts to become annoying for me. I would love to do some groceries one day without people loathing me, just because my skin is pale.

''Dad, can you please explain why everyone is like this to me? I don't understand why people hate me and you know that this is making me wonder who I really am, I feel like this isn't me.'' I tell him, but my dad doesn't seem to respond. I don't care that I drive him crazy because of this, I need answers. That's all I'm asking. If I don't get them from my dad, I will get them myself. I won't stop until I find out the truth.

A/N It took me a while to finish it, it was I had a lot to do for school and I have to do some tests. I'm sure I won't make my senior year at school :(