* 열 여섯

The Real Me

Hakyeon and I make our return after I calmed down and concern rises in the eyes of Hakyeon's parents. The scholar has left already and told me that they were going to do everything it takes to protect my father and the rest of my family, which I truly appreciate. I fear for their safety and I hope that the Raveners don't come back to them, now that I temporarily live here with the Cha's. I hope that the Cha's are willing to protect me more, because I don't know if the Raveners will come to this place to take me away. Even Sang Chul is someone I don't trust at all, because he tried to raise me like a fullblood vampire so that I wasn't going to live as a human anymore. The truth is, I'm partially human and partially human. So I have to find the balance between the two. 

''What did he say? Why is Taekwoon so upset?'' the Lord asks, but decides not to get up from his seat. I look at him and I take a deep breath, but I can't even try to let myself talk. So I look at Hakyeon at the time I take a seat and Hakyeon places a hand on my shoulder when he takes a seat next to me. He breaks eyecontact with me and looks at his father to share the story that I just heard from the scholar.

''The thing is... the scholar has found out the whereabouts of his mother and it turns out that the Raveners killed her, so that Taekwoon was going to look for her and that they could kidnap him. The reason why the Raveners wanted to kidnap him is unknown, but I'm sure it has something to do with him being partially a vampire. Whoever tries to kidnap him, these creatures try to get Taekwoon in their hands to train him as a full blood vampire and that he will say goodbye to his humanity. But Taekwoon is partially human, so there is no way he can become a fullblood vampire right?'' Hakyeon shares and the whole room goes silent. Hakyeon's siblings look at me with wide eyes and his sisters even start to cry.

''I think the situation is a lot worse than we thought it would be. We need to protect Taekwoon and we can't let him go home anytime soon. He can't go outside without one of us on his side and Taekwoon can't go outside at nighttime, he needs to stay here.'' the Lord says and I nod when I make eyecontact with Hakyeon, who seems to be happy about me being on his side and that I can't leave this place with someone of them. I do have the ability to hear his thoughts and I don't know what to say about his thoughts. It seems he has a crush on me, but I don't know if he truly does. 

''Hakyeon, I think it's the best for the rest of today that you stay with him. Even if he is going to train again, you stay with him. He can't be alone now, especially now that he needs support to deal with this tragedy. Once he is trained enough, we will help him with his search for his parents. I don't allow him to do this on his own, because he might get killed.'' the Lord says and Hakyeon smiles, as Hakyeon places a hand on my shoulder. I'm glad that the Lord has assigned someone to me who will be around me like a guard, but this news motivates me even more to train and to become a stronger person.

We continue our meal, but I can't focus on my meal. My mind is holding onto the news what the scholar shared with me and I just can't understand why they had to kill my mother and why they are still after me. The fact that the Raveners called me their 'long lost jewel' still haunts me and I don't know why they called me that, but I might find out about that when they meant with that. Hopefully, I'm able to decide by then whether I want to be near them or not, but I don't think I'll be able to do now. While being here, I wanna focus on my training and giving my grief a spot. The Raveners won't give my mum back to me anyway, because they only would only trade with my dad if they can have me in exchange. Never in a million years would my dad give me up to save his dead wife.

''You're okay, Taekwoon? You look like you have lost your appetite.'' Hakyeon's younger sister notices and I shake my head. I don't have a reason right now to lie towards the Cha's, because my mind is simply elsewhere. Hakyeon's hand is resting on my shoulder and my eyes keep looking at my food. Hakyeon chuckles as he looks from me to his family again.

''I think he has a hard time processing the information he recieved from the scholar. His mother is dead and the Raveners are out there to get him in their hands. They want him to say goodbye to his humanity and they want him to be just like them. Taekwoon can't go to his family right now, it's too dangerous for him to go back. After dinner, I'll take him to a room and that he can let all of his emotions come out.'' Hakyeon explains to his siblings and the mood in the room changes completely. No one is saying anything and they silently continue to eat their meal. I also have a bowl of blood here, but I feel like I'm not interested in it right now. 

I keep thinking about my dad and my siblings. I'm scared that the Raveners come to their house every night to ask about me and I try everything to ban this thought out of my head. I'm really scared that something might happen to my family, but let's hope for the best and that they're being left alone by the Raveners. Maybe if the Raveners see that I'm not there, they probably will leave my family alone and that thought is giving me a little bit of rest.

''It's a good thing that you take him apart after dinner, Hakyeon. Taekwoon probably is a mess right now and I think that when he is able to let it all come out, that he will become more and more motivated to train harder and to become even stronger when he is going to fight the danger outside.'' the Lord says and I slowly raise my head to look at him. I don't wanna think about it right now, but I'm glad that he understands my motivation. I need to get some answers on questions I have, but I won't go into the wild without knowing how to defend myself. I'm scared that I might lose myself when I don't know how to keep myself under control.

The Lord smiles at me and by his thoughts, I can tell that he is trying to assure me that everything will be okay. I'm here for just a day and I'm treated very different over here. I still don't know if my dad truly cares about me being a vampire for 50% or if he acted like he didn't want to know what I'm capable of, maybe I will find out once I meet up with my family again. For now, I need to stay hidden for the Raveners and Sang Chul. Only then, I'm able to save my family.