* 육

The Real Me

We're right on time at the festival and it already makes me happy to see how people are enjoying themselves. A lot of lights are present and a lot of colorful decoration finish it all. It feels good to be outside, because I only see these streets at daytime and I would love to enjoy it at night too.

Right when people see me, they complain about my skin color. I try to ignore it ofcourse, because I just realised that I'm not the one who I think I was. I still need to find answers to all of that and I hope I will figure out who I truly am, because no human is able to smell blood like I did. And why am I so hungry when I smell blood? Why am I able to eat normal food? A Ravener can't eat human food and only drinks blood. Does that mean I'm one of them? Is that why they called me their long lost jewel?

Dahyun has hooked in my arm, just to prevent me from doing something that is out of the ordinary. I still have no idea what just happened and how I took care of that Ravener, that part is something I don't remember. But if I figure out who I truly am, I might be able to know what happened earlier. I look around to enjoy all the lights and I cherish every single second. I always have to stay inside when it gets dark and I hope that I am able to understand soon why I have to stay inside at night. 

Gayoon grabs my other hand and starts to chuckle constantly, which is a sign to me that she is happy that I'm with them tonight. Gayoon never likes it when I have to stay at home, the family feels incomplete without me according to Gayoon. Honggi is less sensitive in that case, but also hates it when I'm not there. At events like this one, Honggi wants me to be there aswell. He knows how much I am craving for distraction from home.

''Ah Taekwoon-ah, good to see you here. I haven't seen you at night at all, so I'm glad to see you here.'' a market trader says and I smile when I look at him. People may complain about my skin color, but I'm still loved among them. But for how long? If people find out who I truly am, they will call me a disgrace of humanity for sure. Everyone has declared a war against the Raveners and I don't want people to do that against me.

''I finally got permission from my father to leave the house, but it doesn't mean that my father will let me leave the house more often at night. I hope he will let go of that rule one day, but I'm not going to beg for it ofcourse.'' I tell him and the market trader nods. I feel like a son to him, since I have helped him out very often when I was a kid. Now that I'm older, I have told him that he can ask me to help me whenever he needs help. So far, I haven't helped him out much. That's fine ofcourse.

Many more market traders are happy to see me and they hope that I will enjoy the festival tonight, but also that I might be able to meet the Lord in person. I would love to talk to him, but it's impossible for now. Oh well, we'll see how it goes tonight.

''Jung Taekwoon?'' an unfamiliar voice asks. Gayoon tightens her grip on my hand and I look over my shoulder to see who is calling for me. I then turn around and something completely unexpected happened... the son of the Lord stands behind me. How in the world does he know my name? The Lord barely knows names, only from the ministers and such. So how does his son know mine?

''Cha Hakyeon, it's my pleasure to meet you.'' I tell him and I bow to him. Hakyeon smiles and bows aswell, before he approaches me. I never have seen someone like Hakyeon before, since he is always kept inside like me. But I assume that he is kept inside for other reasons, although he at least knows those reasons. My dad and my siblings bow at the time he is an arm length away from me.

''It's my pleasure to meet you aswell. I never have seen you and I wanted to meet you at all costs. But let's go somewhere more private, shall we?'' Hakyeon suggests and I simply nod. My family and I follow Hakyeon, while Hakyeon and I have a conversation about my mum who's missing. Hakyeon also is aware of the missing people in Joseon and feels sorry for me, which I appreciate ofcourse.

''Do you have an idea who or what might be responsible for this? Or is it a complete guess for you?'' Hakyeon asks and I sigh. I'm sure that the Raveners killed her in order to get closer to me. But until this day, I don't know why the Raveners are after me. They did speak about me being the long lost jewel, but what do they mean by that? Am I one of them?

''I don't know, but I think the Raveners might be behind it. Earlier tonight, they came to my house and they wanted to take me with them. They said I was their long lost jewel or something, but I don't know what that means.'' I tell him and Hakyeon's eyes widen when I mention the Raveners. They are mysterious creatures and no one knows anything about them, not even the loved ones of the victims. No one has ever seen their faces, neither have I. It's always covered.

We then arrive at a square that looks abandoned, but Hakyeon immediately tells us that only members of the Lord's family can come here. But Hakyeon also takes guests with him to this place to talk in private about something, so I wonder where Hakyeon wants to talk about.

''Take a seat please.'' Hakyeon says and we follow his order. Gayoon immediately climbs upon my lap and Hakyeon chuckles when he takes a seat next to me. No one has ever approached me like this, but how will Hakyeon react if he finds out about me being a monster? Everyone in this town will hate me if they find out what kind of monster I actually am. 

''I have heard about you Taekwoon, I have heard about you since I was little. I don't know what is going on with you, but you are special for some reason. Everyone between those palace doors talk about you, but no one knows why you are so special. They seem to wonder if you are human or not, but I guess that you don't know it either.'' Hakyeon explains and I am surprised about what I hear. Even the Lord and the rest of his staff talk about me? But why? Even Hakyeon doesn't know, so that means I need to find those answers on all costs.

''B-But people are scared of me, they also complain about my skin being too pale.'' I tell the young man and Hakyeon starts to smile, a smile to comfort me. But I don't feel comfortable at all. I do go out to try to act as normal as possible, but people always push me away. My skin isn't that pale, not that much compared to others. Am I seriously a monster to them?

Hakyeon scoots closer and places a hand on my shoulder. I look from his face to his hand on my shoulder and then back to Hakyeon again. Hakyeon apparently doesn't give a about the distance he has to keep between himself and the citizens, or he does it when no one is looking. He is an odd one in my eyes.

''Don't give in to that okay? People have a high expectation of how someone should look. Even if you would be a monster, don't listen to what others have to say about you. Let it go tonight and let it go for the rest of your life.'' Hakyeon says and I sigh yet again. I'm worried, but maybe I should follow his advise tonight. I didn't go out for no reason.