*두

The Real Me

1904

''Taekwoon-ah, wake up!'' 

I groan as the voice of my sister rings into my ears. Usually when my sister wakes me up, it's around 9 am. But by the tone in her voice, something must be wrong. I open my eyes and it seems I was right, because I can read a worried look on her face.

''Dahyun-ah, what's wrong?'' I ask her as I shoot up immediately. Dahyun is 3 years younger than me, but she acts more mature for her age. Well, she has to. She has to learn everything about how to be a lady, since she will get married one day. I'm the oldest out of three siblings and I have to join my dad a lot when he goes on adventures, but I also have to join him when he enters the market. My mother is disabled and can't properly walk, so it's the two of us who go to the market to buy groceries or something else.

''Mum is gone. She just vanished into thin air last night and I'm scared that she has fallen into the hands of the Raveners.'' Dahyun starts to cry as she collapses onto her knees. The Raveners, we call them like that, are mysterious creatures which are active at night and love to attack people for no reason. It all started when I was 5 years old and my parents feared for me ever since then, because they believed that the Raveners were out there to find me and to either kill me or to kidnap me. But so far, nothing has happened. However, that doesn't take away my fear.

I manage to pull Dahyun towards me and I pull her in for a hug. I'm in shock and I have no idea how to react to mum being vanished into thin air, because I seriously thought that the Raveners would leave us alone. It has been a while since they kidnapped someone, so I didn't see it coming that they would strike again. I close my eyes for a second, because I need to calm myself down. I don't want to freak out, because I am scared that I will lose myself. I know that I turn into a beast if I lose control, but I don't know what kind of beast it may be. Simply because no one knows the name of any beasts. I just blame it on my personality.

''We have to stay strong okay? Dad is still here, aswell as Honggi and Gayoon. We need to stick together, so that the Raveners can't strike yet again okay? We don't know why they're doing this, but we can't show that we're scared of them okay?'' I tell her and Dahyun nods. Honggi and Gayoon are twins and both have a personality that gave my parents a lot of headaches, but Dahyun and I are used to it. Dahyun is slightly younger than me, but that doesn't mean she is immature. Dahyun is like a second mum for the twins, so they can't lose her now.

I let go of Dahyun and I wipe away her tears from her cheeks. It's hard, since we have to rely on dad from now on. But we have to go through this together. We have to stay strong against the Raveners, since they can strike at every night. No one is save and no one knows why this happens, so moving to another home won't solve this problem.

''Dahyun-ah, stay strong. Keep the hope that mum still might be alive. Only then, we can bring her home okay?'' I tell her and Dahyun nods, while looking down to the floor. I get up from the floor and I immediately grab a brush to brush my hair, before I tie my hair up into a ponytail. It's time to enter the market again to get us some food, since we nearly ran out of it. I rush to my closet and I take out something new, since my current clothes are quite dirty. Dahyun has to do the laundry to day, so she can wash this too. I look down at my necklace and I hold the amulet in my hand, while taking a deep breath. I am wearing this necklace since I was born, but I don't know why I have to wear it. The only thing they ever told me, was that something was going to happen if I take it off. I sigh at the time I let go of the amulet, I really wanna know why I have to wear this.

When I walk back, Dahyun already got up from her spot and her back is facing me. I make my way up to her and I wrap an arm around her waist from behind, making Dahyun startle before she looks over her shoulder.

''Geez Taekwoon, you scared me.'' Dahyun says when she sees me standing behind her. I chuckle. I let go of her right after Dahyun turns into my direction and I hand over my clothes.

''Since you're going to take care of the laundry, can you wash this please?'' I ask her and Dahyun starts to smile a bit after she takes my clothes. It's hard for Dahyun to smile properly and I totally get it, I can't smile like she does. In my case, it's hard to express certain emotions. I can only express worry, happiness and anger. I know that there are more emotions, but I can only express three of them. It's weird, but I hope I can find out why I am so much different from everyone else.

Dahyun leaves my room and I put my shoes on, before I also leave my room. When I make my way outside, my dad is waiting for me. My dad is ready to go, but he always wants us to eat first before we leave. We're those young people that forget about it every now and then and my dad is always up early, so we never eat breakfast with him. The only meals we eat with him, are lunch and diner.

''Take a seat Taekwoon, I want you to eat before we go to the market.'' my dad says and I bow a bit before I take a seat at the staircase that lead up to our house. I sigh when I look at the houses near by ours. I wonder if they all heard about my mum being missing since this morning and I hope that people will keep thinking about how we feel about it. Weird enough, I can hear some thoughts of people and it scares me. How in the world can I know what is going on in people's mind? Am I even human?

My dad hands me over a bowl with food and takes a seat next to me, eyes resting on me. I can feel them burn on me, but I decide to ignore it. I mean, I am used to it that people are glaring at me. Some were even complaining about my skin color, I look too pale for them. They believe I'm sick, but I don't feel sick at all. I just want to live a normal life and people hold me back from living a normal life by constantly glaring at me. Oh well, I am able to let it go when I'm going to enter the market with my dad. Because then, I am only focussing on the stuff I need to buy. I can only focus on one thing, not on two at the same time.