스물넷

The Real Me

The room is dark, but still light enough for me to see anything. All of the curtains are closed and the only ones in the room are me, Hakyeon and Lord Cha. Lord Cha wants to train me to keep myself under control when the necklace is taken off, he assured me that I can take it off when I'm out for blood at night. But again, I have to learn to keep myself under control and I also have to be strong enough to fight when the Raveners come back to hand me over to Daejun again.

I'm scared to take off the necklace and Lord Cha knows it, but he still encourages me to take it off. Hakyeon is seated on the side of the floor, as Lord cha doesn't want him to interfere. And I'm only allowed to practice on Hakyeon if I'm able to book some progress. Lord Cha also wanted Hakyeon here to see how I'm doing so far, as Hakyeon wasn't allowed to train with me after Hakyeon convinced me he would be fine when I drank from him.

I finally take off the necklace and I start to feel extremely hungry, but the smell of blood is overwhelming me. There are two human beings in the room and it makes me feel dizzy, but the hunger is still dominant out of the two. My breath goes deeper and I groan loud, as my fangs grow.

''Come on Taekwoon, concentrate and focus on your breath. You have to shut your thoughts down.'' Lord Cha encourages me time and time again.

I'm trying really hard to do what Lord Cha just said, but it's so hard to ignore the hunger. I hate myself for being for being partially a vampire, to be like Daejung. This man made me like a monster and I hate to drink human blood if I wanna keep myself satisfied. Only with the necklace on, I am able to keep myself under control and to live like a human being.

I collapse on my knees and my right hand moves to my chest, still breathing quite deep. It's so hard to get a grip and my head is screaming that I need some blood, that I'm hungry. But I don't wanna be like this, I don't wanna be like a monster. I wanna be human like Hakyeon is, I rather age and die than to live on forever and to see everyone I loved die.

After 2 hours, which felt like they took forever, Lord Cha orders me to put the necklace back on. He's satisfied about the matter that I didn't attack him or Hakyeon, so we're off to a good start. I'm not satisfied about myself. But yes, it's good I didn't attack anyone.

''Good job Taekwoon, you're doing well.'' Hakyeon assures me.

Again, I'm not convinced that it went that well. But I at least don't try to attack, which I definitely will blame on my hunger being too strong if I ever give in and do attack. If it ever goes wrong, I'm sure that Lord Cha won't let me and will do everything to keep me under his grip. As of now, I'm happy with him stepping up when it does go wrong.

I get back up and Hakyeon quickly gets up to open up all of the curtains. I hear the rustling of a bag and Lord Cha hands me as a bag of blood as a result.

''There you go Taekwoon, you did well today. The more we practice, the more you'll keep yourself under control and the less independent you become on the necklace. Ofcourse, I won't let you get rid off the necklace as you'll need it to walk around in broad daylight like any other human being.'' Lord Cha says, smiling when looking at me.

I simply nod and I drink from the content inside the bag. I still have to eat human food, but that's all fine by me. I want to get over this, because drinking blood makes me hate myself for being partially a vampire. How did they call creatures like me again? I don't know, but I don't care either.

When the bag is empty, my fangs disappear too and my teeth become normal again. Ugh, finally. I hate how I change when I'm going into psycho mode, I hate how my eyes change and how my fangs grow. It's like someone possesses me and I'm becoming a completely different person. I'm glad my adoptive family is okay with me being partially a vampire, well maybe not in the case of the twins. It scares them, but they'll get used to it at some point.

The three of us leave the room and we move to the livingroom, where everyone is at too. I hope that Daejung and the Raveners aren't coming back to kidnap me for the second time, because I certainly didn't like the area where they're keeping themselves hidden. But the difference is that they're all vampires and I'm partially one. Whereas vampires can only be active at night, I can walk in daylight without being bothered by the light.

''How did it go?'' Miyeon asks, eyes shimmering with hope.

''Taekwoon did well. He did struggle not to attack, but he kept his composure and also kept fighting himself to stay under control.'' Lord Cha shares, not looking at Miyeon at all.

''He did growl like a wolf though, as if he was a vampire who was extremely starving for blood.'' Hakyeon adds, teasing as he looks at me.

I bump my elbow into his side, making Hakyeon chuckle. I hated that training, but now I'll have to endure it again tomorrow. Just as long as I can keep myself under control without that necklace on me. If other half breeds like me can do it, so can I. Hey wait a minute... half breed? Would I be considered one too? Lord Cha didn't have a name for people like me, but it's possible I'm a half breed.

''My Lord, please read this!'' a maid yells in panic, holding a letter in her hand.

Lord Cha grabs the letter out of her hand and unfolds it, before he starts to read it. At first, his eyes widen. We all wonder what he is reading, but we don't have to wait for long as Lord Cha starts to read it out loud.

''Dear Cha,

I know you have taken away my son from and I am definitely coming back to reclaim him. You won't be able to get rid off me that easily.

Give me back my son or I'll kill you and your entire family. I'll even bring my vampires along if I have to.

Signed,

Daejung''

My blood, for whatever I still have running down my veins, runs cold. Hakyeon wraps his arms around me out of terror and the whole room bursts into panic. Daejung is at it again? Ofcourse he would, he would literally kill everyone in his way. But there is no way in hell that I will let Daejung touch my adoptive family and the Cha family. I'll fight him if I have to.

''We have to protect Taekwoon at all costs, because there is not way I'll hand him over to this monster!'' Lord Cha yells, smashing the letter onto the floor.

Miyeon starts to cry and suddenly everyone else, all except me and Lord Cha, start to cry. We all hoped that I would be safe, but it turns out I'm not. And as long Daejung continues to make attempts to get his hands on me, I'll be in danger.

I don't even know what is happening around me anymore, because all I'm thinking is how I can keep Daejung away from me and those I care about. Daejung acts like he cares about me, but I know better. I don't think he accepts me for being only half of what he is, he is like the Raveners. He wants me to be a fullblood vampire and he wants me to do everything to make me a fullblood vampire.

''No! He can't get me again. This guy is crazy! He wants to make me a fullblood vampire and rob me off my humanity.'' I yell.

My legs feel wobbly and I collapse once again, taking Hakyeon down with me. I wish I was born human, so that I didn't have to worry about myself and everyone around me the way I have to now. Or that I was born as a fullblood vampire, which is the last thing I wanna become.

Lord Cha says nothing and bursts out of the room, I can hear him yell in the hallway. It is then that the Cha family comes over to me and they pull me in for a group hug. No way they're going to lose me again to these ugly creatures. But becoming a fullblood vampire... I don't even know if that's possible.

''A fullblood vampire? What even is that?'' Miyeon asks after a while.

''A vampire like this Daejung guy. They're nowhere near human and they don't care about human feelings atall. A fullblood vampire would kill all of you and their minds are even more set on your blood. You can't convince them otherwise with words.'' I explain to her.

The grip of Hakyeon and Miyeon on me tightens and it becomes painful at this point. It's hard to bear that I'm not safe anymore until this Daejung guy and the Raveners are down. But how can we beat them? As humans, you're doomed. I'm only partially a vampire, so I might be a bit of hope. Except I don't have the same speed, so I'm doomed as humans are.