Case 6

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Explain," Krystal told Amber.

"The coroner said that the stake went through to her spine. That is congruent with the position of the body from the crime scene pictures. The room is not big.  It's only about 10 feet wide, even if Mrs. Kim were to run at full speed and her aim was perfect, it's still impossible that the spike would go through her spine. And besides," Amber stopped to look at her team "Don't you notice something odd here?" Amber pointed at the stake

"You don't think having a stake in your basement is weird enough, kiddo?" Heechul rolled his eyes.

Amber grinned. "True, but it is not that. Don't you think the amount of blood here is very little considering that she was impaled through her heart?"

Everyone looked at the crime scene. Superintendent Lim said: "The cadet has a point."

"I think there are two possibilities, either that she was dead when the killer pushed her to the stake or the stake was heated," Amber explained again.

"Would that explain the body position?" Krystal looked at her cadet

"No." Amber answered, "Even if I calculate the fact that the stake was hot, the position of the stake was just too deep. It is impossible to get it that deep without an extra push."

"So we can rule out suicide?" there is excitement in superintendent Lim's voice, "You are sure about this?"

"I'm confident in my theory, but I think it is still wise to wait for the coroner's autopsy result," Amber told the tall man.

He patted Amber's shoulder "If you were right if someday team leader Jung doesn't want you anymore, give me a call."

Amber grinned as she answered, "She never does. She scolded me because a stapler slipped my hands today."

Krystal glared at her cadet, who chuckled at her reaction.

"Seriously?" Superintendent Lim asked Krystal, "I'll take her if you don't want her."

"She's joking, Sir," Donghae pulled Amber's ear "The stapler that 'accidentally' slipped her hand ended at a senior officer's nose and broke it. That's why team leader scolded her:"

"Ow, Hyung. That hurts." Amber whined 

Superintendent Lim laughed, "It's good to be young, isn't it?" He turned back around to Krystal and said, "Why don't we get back to the headquarter to wait for the coroner's report?"

Krystal nodded, she explained to Siwon and the rest of the group Amber's theory. Siwon looked impressed. He put Amber in a headlock, messing her hair as he said, "Now, isn't our little Amber a genius."

"Aw, aw, Hyung. Please don't mess with my hair." Amber protested, she broke free of his headlock and ran away only to face the swarming reporters.

 

'Who are you? You are not from the local police, aren't you?'

'Did you find the culprit?'

Amber got nervous as cameras and flashlights were aimed at her. She said, "I'm sorry," and hurriedly went behind Donghae. "They are scary," she whispered to him. Krystal couldn't help to smile, seeing Amber's reaction. She is a promising cadet, but at times like this, you'll notice that she is still young and inexperienced. Dealing with the press is never easy; they were surrounding the team, blocking their way to the car.

Superintendent Lim moved forward. "My name is Lim Sukyung. I'm in charge of the case. I would like to ask for your patience because right now, we are in the middle of investigating the case. I promise you we will hold a press conference on the case very soon. So please let us through."

 

They didn't have to wait long until the coroner finished the report. Superintendent Lim and Krystal discussed with him about Amber's theory, and he agreed to rule out suicide. That gives him the Jeju police a reason to start an official homicide investigation. Superintendent Lim shook Krystal's hand, "I couldn't thank you more. I know we are still a long way from solving the case, but because of your team, now we have a case."

"Should we stay to support the team until you find the killer, Sir?" Krystal politely asked

"Your team already did us a huge favor. We will work hard to solve the case. I'll keep in touch with Hari and inform him once we caught the killer." he answered. "And I might still try to steal your cadet, Team Leader." he laughed.

Krystal looked at Amber as she said, "If she doesn't behave from now on, I might just send her to you in a DHL-package." 

Amber grinned at her words.

 

"Are you sure you want to leave immediately?" Detective Park asked, "What about spending a few days here in Jeju?"

"Yes," Mina whined. "Please, team leader? At least we have to eat before we lea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter