Case 14

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You scare me," Krystal repeated. As she looked at Amber's expression, she knew she had to explain herself.  "Not because of the kiss," she carefully said.

Amber swallowed constantly; her heart paced so fast that she could feel it in .

"What...what do you mean?" Amber tried to look at Krystal's face, but she kept avoiding her eyes.

 

Krystal bit her lower lip; wasn't sure what to do. Would it be worth it to take down the barricade she built all these years? Would she forgive herself for taking a chance with someone new? Her lips trembled, she tried to say something, but nothing came out. Amber noticed how hard it was for her. She didn't rush her. Looking at how troubled Krystal is, Amber would just hold her. She wouldn't have to say a thing. But then, she wasn't sure of her position. 

 

"I loved someone once. I dreamt of spending my life with him until someone tore that dream away from me.  Not long after,  I lost Jess-Unnie, and my world went dark. The only way to survive was to build a wall around my heart. I was good at being alone. It's a pain I got used to," Krystal's voice trembled, "And then you came."

Amber didn't think that her heart could race faster than it was, but it did as she heard Krystal's words.

"I didn't think much at first. If you noticed that I'm paying more attention to you than your fellow cadets, it was because I think that you will be an excellent officer. You're smart, and you have a good hunch. Your physic isn't bad, either. You are a good fighter and an excellent shooter. I guess I started to trust you after you saved me at the parking lot," Krystal remembered what Superintendent Kang said to her the day she gave her Jeju report, "Maybe it started there, but I was too deep inside my barricade to realize it."

 

The team leader stopped and hesitated. The wish to push Amber away crept in. That will be much easier; she'll get used to being alone again. She won't feel guilty to Chanyoung-Oppa anymore. Krystal made a mental note, telling herself all she needs to do is just shut Amber down and get back to her life before. But the second her eyes met with Amber's eyes, her heart melted. Krystal can't believe how those pair of eyes affected her so much.

"Team leader," Amber called her name, and Krystal tears started to flow.

Seeing Krystal's tears is  Amber's kryptonite. Her brain stopped working, and her muscles froze.

"I'm terrified," Krystal said between her sobs, "It wasn't the kiss. I cried, not because you kissed me. I let you kissed me; I didn't mind. And that was the reason I ran away." Krystal's lips quivered as she continued, "I'm scared about what I might feel for you. Running away seems to be the best solution." 

 

After hearing Krystal's words, Amber didn't hesitate anymore. She grabbed Krystal's hand and pulled her closer. Amber wrapped her arms around Krystal, holding her tight. Her wet clothes gave Krystal shivers at first. She felt Amber's hand caressing her hair; how she kissed the top of her head before she whispered, "Stop running. Stay with me."

For so long, Krystal had never felt safe like at that moment. There were no words necessary. Krystal closed her eyes, enjoying the sound of Amber's heartbeat. She slowly lifted her arms and wrapped them around Amber's waist. Amber's clothes were drenched, but Krystal felt warm inside her arms, They stayed like that for a while until Amber suddenly sneezed. 

"I'm sorry," Amber said, but another sneeze followed. 

"No," Krystal was worried, "It's my fault. You better change before you catch a cold. Wait, go shower with warm water first. I'll bring you some dry clothes."

"But..." Amber protested."

Stupid sneeze, she cursed inside her head. She would instead continue the conversation. What are they now? Are they together? 

 

Krystal didn't give her a chance to object. She literally dragged Amber to the guest room, closed the door, and ran upstairs.  She rummaged her closet and looked for the clothes she lent Amber last time. The team leader decided to change to a causal outfit first before she ran back downstairs. After knocking, she slowly opened the door and placed the clothes on the bed. She could hear the sound of water running and silently left the room. Krystal walked back upstairs to her room as her brain reminded of what had just happened. She didn't know that a person could feel so many emotions at one time. One second she felt like disappearing and unsaid what she had said; the next second, she wanted to be in Amber's arms again. The euphoria constantly switched with guilt. 

 

They didn't say much as they sat across each other at dinner. Krystal made them sandwiches. Both were stealing glances at the other but wasn't sure what to say. Even after they finished dinner, they didn't have a chance to get rid of the awkwardness. Krystal was still unsure about how to deal with her guilt and her feelings for Amber, while Amber wasn't sure how to ask without making the situation more awkward than it already is. 

Krystal was glad if she would be able to avoid the subject. It would give her a chance to sort her feelings. 

"I'm going to bed," she said to Amber, "See you tomorrow."

Amber didn't say anything first, but as Krystal turned back to the staircase, she called, "Team leader." Amber approached Krystal, ran her hand nervously through her hair before she said, "What are we now?"

"I... don't know," Krystal fidgeted as she answered. She really doesn't know, the more she thinks about it, the more confused she gets. 

Amber blushed, even her ears turned bright red as she said, "Some?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter