Case 20

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber sat on the bed edge, holding Krystal's hand while looking at Krystal's sleeping face. The doctors had to sedate her because she wouldn't stop vomiting from the dizziness. Amber's eyes strayed to the bottle attach to her arm and watch the infusion dripped slowly. Amber sighed and tucked the hair on Krystal's face between her ears and caressed her cheek. 

"Rest well, Noona," Amber said to her. She wasn't sure as the doctor told her they needed to sedate her, but now she was glad that Krystal was finally able to sleep. Amber held Krystal's hand with both of her hands and placed a kiss on the back of her hand. She let go of Krystal's hand and put it back under the blanket as she heard a knock on the door.

Amber got up as she saw Siwon entered the room.

"Hyung," she nodded to him.

The tall, handsome man nodded back to her, walked to her, and patted her shoulder. Mina and Hyeyeon walked behind him. Both of them waved to Amber; the latter smiled to her fellow cadets.

 

"How is she?" Siwon looked at the sleeping girl.

"The doctors didn't find anything alarming. The MRI was okay, but the symptoms got worse. She kept on vomiting that they decided to sedate her to let her rest. She's been sleeping ever since," Amber answered, "They say it's vestibular neuritis. Most probably because of extreme stress. They are putting her on cortisone drips, hoping that it'll lessen the symptoms when the sedatives wore out."

Siwon nodded and turned her head to Amber, "How are you holding up? Thank you for taking care of her."

"I'm fine, Hyung. I just wish all of this will be over soon." Amber sighed.

"Listen, Mina and Hyeyeon will stay here to take care of Soojung until tomorrow morning. Why don't you go home and get some sleep? I bet you didn't sleep much last night." Siwon patted Amber on the shoulder.

Amber shook her head, "I slept a bit last night. I would rather that someone is informing me on the case. Any new lead?"

"Unfortunately, not much. We divided ourselves into smaller teams to look at the old cases. But so far, no new facts. We are glad that no new body turned up."

Amber took another look at Krystal, making sure that she was still asleep before she said to Siwon, "Superintendent Kang came over Team leader's apartment last night and gave me a copy of the file. I looked into the files. Hyung, there is no way that Jang DaeHee planned that alone. He just didn't have the resources, and I seriously doubt that he has the intelligence to plan all that by himself."

"Agree," Siwon nodded, "We are looking at the people around him."

"Hyung, I looked into the equipment in the room. I found the manufacturers but no solid clue so far. Let me dig more into it."

"Care to explain more?" Siwon asked.

Amber nodded and walked to the sofa on the other side of the room; the rest followed. She took out a picture of the crime scene and pointed to the chains on the ceiling, "I'm following a trail on this. It's just some loose end—no connection to the new cases. There is no need to allocate more people to this. I just need to clear one more thing and then wrap this up."

"Okay," Siwon said, "Look into it and report to me."

 

"Hyung," Amber looked at the tall guy, "I don't mind staying here to take care of team leader."

"I know you don't. But everyone needs sleep to be able to function. I'm sure Mina and Hyeyeon will take good care of Soojung, too, just like you did."

"You know we will," Mina said, "We care about her just as much as you do."

Amber could just smile and nodded. 

"See?" Siwon patted Amber's head, "Just go get some rest and something to eat. I'll see you tomorrow at the office. Want me to take you back to the dorm?"

This time, Amber shook her head and said, "Imma stay until our team leader wakes up." 

 

Mina and Hyeyeon sat next to Krystal's bed while Amber and Siwon are working on the sofa. Amber messaged Jackson to look into Coridel if there are any suspicious activities other than the vague link to the manufactures. She took a glimpse of Krystal to check her condition, she was torn about being with Krystal the whole time, but on the other side, her gut agreed with Kang Hari that these murders seem to be connected with Krystal. The best way to protect her is to solve the case. 

Everyone was busy with a case file on their hands while watching out for Krystal. Amber messaged Jackson again to see if he came up with anything new on the crumbs, but as Jackson said, it was already a dead end. Amber looked for the address of the companies that produced the chains, taking notes to visit them after Krystal woke up, hoping maybe they still remember something from that time. 

No one noticed as Krystal stirred on her bed. She was scared to open her eyes, scared that the dizziness might come back. She slowly opened her eyes and was glad that she felt okay. She turned her head and saw Mina and Hyeyeon. She felt stupid as she was a bit sad that it wasn't Amber that she first saw.

"Cadets..." Krystal said weakly.

Mina and Hyeyeon turned their heads to the source of the voice and screamed in unison, "OMO! Team leader! You're awake. Thank God."

 

Amber and Siwon ran to her bed as they heard it.

Krystal could see in Amber's eyes how worried she is, her lips made a weak smile, and she whispered, "I'm fine."

She did consider to just let the cat out of the bag, to tell Amber t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter