Case 19

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Me?" Kang Hari pointed at himself in disbelieve. 

"Shouldn't I be suspicious of you? Noona said she never let anyone in this place since her sister died. How do you explain what you just did?"

The superintendent was so surprised at Amber's accusation that he needed some time to put himself together, "Listen, I told you before. If you are accusing me because you think I'm a viable suspect, I'm fine with it. But if you are suspecting me because of your jealousy, you are wasting your time. I would never do such a thing to Soojung. She is like a little sister to me. A niece. You named it. I just want to protect her."

Amber glared at the superintendent, "And you want me to believe this because you said that?"

 

Kang Hari sighed, "It is not me you are looking for. There is a sick bastard out there who's killing women who look like Soojung, and if you are stupid like this, he might be able to harm her." He rubbed his forehead, calming himself before started to talk again, "If you are suspicious why I know where Soojung put her stuff, it's because I have been here often enough to know where she keeps her things."

"And why are you spending so much time with Noona?" 

Kang Hari remembered that Amber wasn't in the room as he told the team his relationship with Chanyoung. From her reaction, he guessed Soojung haven't told her much about their relationship, "I think Soojung told you about Chanyoung, right?" 

Amber nodded.

 

"Chanyoung is... I mean, he was my nephew. I raised him after his parents died. I was his only family. He and Soojung were so much in love; they thought about getting married. That's why we met once a week. It was Soojung und Chanyoung, Jess and Tyler, me and my girlfriend. It was important for me to get to know the family because they were still so young at that time. Jess was Soojung's whole family, and she was very supportive. I didn't mind about the marriage anymore after I got to know Jessica."

"Why didn't they? Got married?" Amber's voice was shaky. 

"Apparently Tyler got into Chanyoung's mind. He told him it is better to marry when a man already proved that he could provide for the family. That's why Chanyoung wanted to wait until he at least got promoted to a team leader and bought a home for Soojung. Listen, Amber. You can look into me anytime you want. I am not your guy. Let me tell you what, give me your phone."

Amber hesitantly handed her cellphone to Kang Hari, who tipped something on her phone.

"You have my number. If you want to know anything, if you doubt my whereabouts or you find something suspicious about your investigation, call me, text me, I'll answer any question, But let me tell you this again. I am not the bad guy here. I might be a bit overprotective over Soojung, but you can't blame me after what she has gone through. And yes, I did a background check on you as soon as I noticed that she likes you."

"You did what?!" Amber was half shouting but lowered her voice again, trying not to wake Krystal. 

"I'm not sorry for what I did. I just need to know that you'll take good care of her." Kang Hari looked straight into Amber's eyes.

Amber still wasn't sure if she wants to trust the superintendent and believe his words. He has a point about her wasting time looking at him while the real killer is still on the loose. She decided to suspect Kang Hari less but still unwilling to erase him from her list. 

 

Kang Hari looked at his watch, "I better go. Siwon made a plan for the other cadets to take shift guarding Soojung, I know you might want to be at her side most of the time, but I think you will be more valuable on the investigation."

Amber nodded and bid the superintendent goodbye. Krystal wouldn't want to have her 24h on her side. I think it's better to focus on catching the killer than to hide. Krystal will be with the team most of the time, and knowing Siwon Hyung, he must already come out with a protection plan. She would like to stay with Krystal on the nights, but if she insisted, people might get suspicious about their relationship. She doesn't mind people finding out, but she knew Krystal still needs time to come forward with them being together. 

 

There was so much going on inside Amber's brain that she was having a hard time deciding what to do first. After considering for a while, Amber decided to leave the protection plan to Siwon and concentrate on the investigation. She went to the desk where Kang Hari left his notes. She picked up a piece of paper, started reading and organizing. Amber must admit that he was doing an excellent job with the investigation. His notes were complete, and it was easy for her to understand his thought. He marked and tagged things that don't make sense to him. He scribbled his unanswered doubts, and he was right to do so. So many things that just don't add up. 

Amber couldn't stop staring at the tube where Jang Dae-Hee soaked his victims. The autopsy table. The chains. Everything looked new. Amber looked at his financial record, with a salary of around 1.100.000 won a month, no way he could afford the equipment.  There was nothing suspicious, with no additional income. They didn't find a second account on him. If he was 'just' the killer, what did the mastermind offer him to torture all those women? Was he so disturbed that the killing itself was the reward? The torture? 

The short-haired girl pulled another picture showing the missing skin on the victims. The skin removal. Any other reason behind this other than taking trophies? Why skins? What did he do with it? Was it essential for him, or was it the reward for the person behind all this? If one thing Amber was sure about after reading all the evidence. She was convinced that Jang Dae-Hee didn't plan this alone. He was neither rich nor smart enough. 

 

Her eyes and body were tired. Amber decided she should get some sleep and start fresh in the morning. She gathered all the evidence and placed it carefully inside her bag. She didn't want Krystal to have to see them again in the morning. It's already hard enough for her. Amber opened the bedroom door, climbed carefully on the bed, not to wake her girlfriend. She stared at h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter