Case 18

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Meanwhile, Amber was chasing the team leader who ran inside the bathroom. It has been so long since Krystal felt sick like that. She hovered over the toilet bowl and gagged. She felt like throwing up, but nothing came out.

Amber stood a few feet away. She slowly approached Krystal after she pressed the flush button.

 

"Noona," Amber called her gently, placed her hands on Krystal's arms, wanting to support her to get back on her feet. Amber was surprised as she swatted her hands and pushed her away.

"Go away," Krystal hissed.

"Noona, please," Amber went back to her knees to help Krystal, but the only thing she received from Krystal was another push from her girlfriend. This time, Krystal pushed her so hard that she stumbled backward.

"I said, go away!" Krystal screamed.

 

Amber's heart bleeds to see Krystal in the condition. She was trembling, eyes puffy and red from crying. Even though she was telling Amber to go away, it wasn't anger in her eyes. All Amber saw was fear. 

Amber crawled back to the spot Krystal sat, ignoring the shouting and the screaming the older girl gave her.

"Don't come near me! I hate you! Go away!"

 

Amber pulled Krystal for a hug. Krystal resisted and tried to free herself with punching and pushing, but Amber didn't let go. She trapped Krystal in her arms and whispered in her ear, "It's okay, Noona."

"You have to go away," Krystal started to sob, "I hurt everyone near me."

Amber didn't say anything, she just kept Krystal close to her and ran her fingers through Krystal's hair, Her warmth and her touch calmed Krystal a little bit. She was about to break down, and right now, having Amber is the only thing that kept her together. The older girl adjusted her position, wrapping her arms around Amber and buried her face on Amber's neck. Amber tightened her hug as Krystal whispered, "I'm scared."

The cadet knew how hard it was and how frightened Krystal must be at that moment to say the words. Her first thought was to tell her she is going to protect her with her life but considered that it might just scare her more. Amber thought for a while and said, "I promise you, I will take good care of myself so that I can take good care of you."

Amber felt that Krystal relaxed a little bit after hearing that. She used the chance to say, "Noona, let's go home."

 

Krystal sat up and pushed herself off of Amber before slowly nodded. Amber smiled and helped her get up. She took her hand in hers and guided her out of the building. Krystal noticed that the officer on duty stared at their intertwined hands as they walked passed him, but she doesn't have the strength and the will to think about what he would think. 

 

Amber opened the car door for her before she climbed on the driver's seat. She stretched her arm to grab the seatbelt on Krystal's side and lock it. Krystal's eyes were empty. Amber couldn't help to worry about her girlfriend. She sent a message to Siwon, saying that she is taking Krystal back home and will stay the night at her place to guide her. 

 

In the meeting room, everyone was silent. Each one of them is trying to process the information. Siwon's cellphone broke the silence. 

"Amber is taking Soojung home," he informed the rest of the team, "She is going to guard her for the night. I guess we better make a plan who is going to stay with her until we catch the culprit."

"She won't agree," Superintendent Kang interrupted, "You know how stubborn your team leader is."

"That's true," Heechul nodded.

"Maybe she won't mind if the cadets are the ones staying at her place," Kyuhyun suggested, "It will be less awkward to have girls staying for the night."

Siwon looked at the three cadets, "I think Cadet Liu and Cadet Han can do a one-man-shift. They are strong enough to fight an intruder and protect Soojung until help comes. I prefer Cadet Kang and Cadet Cho as a team, no offense to you two."

"We understand, Senior," Mina and Hyeyeon looked at Siwon. They knew they are physically not so strong and so advance in martial arts as Amber and Haebin. 

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Kang Hari said to the cadets.

"We do!" All three cadets answered, "We want to protect Team leader, too. We'll do anything we can."

"Thank you," Kang Hari nodded slightly to the girls. 

 

Siwon was always the second in the lead after Krystal, so it was natural for him to take the team leader role and said to the team, "I know every one of you can't wait to catch this culprit. But I think the best we can do for Team Leader is to go home, take a rest and come back tomorrow with fresh eyes. So, dismissed."

Everyone agreed and slowly made their way outside the conference room. Siwon intentionally stayed as the last one to be able to talk to Superintendent Kang under four eyes, "You still think keeping the information from the other teams is wise?"

Kang Hari shook his head, "I'm not sure about a lot of things right now. I'm not even sure telling you guys this was a wise decision, but I can't protect Soojung alone. I retired from the field years ago, but my gut feeling was never wrong." He rubbed his forehead before he continued, "I feel something terrible is going to happen again."

"We won't let it happen. We'll work so hard until we found out who's behind all this." Siwon reassured the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter