Case 13

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Krystal placed the flowers next to the black and white picture of the handsome young man. She stared at the picture, thinking how much she misses his smile. 

As she closed her eyes, memories of him started playing in her head. She remembered the first day they met. She just graduated from the academy, and he was her senior. Krystal felt very insecure, being the only girl in the team, and he was the one who was always there for her. The admiration turned into love not long after, and she was glad as she found out that it was not one-sided. He confessed to her on the first snow.  They were in love. Krystal remembered how he said that he wants to have at least six children with her. The world was beautiful until that day.

Krystal's chest hurt so much each time she thinks of that day. It took her years to be able to sleep at night without crying herself to sleep after losing him and her sister short afterward. The nightmares she had that made her screamed in the middle of the night. She learned how to cope with the pain with time. 

Her mind shifted to what happened five days ago. She never thought until a few days ago that there would be another person other than him that will make her feel that way again. Guilt crept inside her. 

 

A movement next to her made her jumped. She couldn't believe her eyes as she saw Kang Hari placed a flowed bouquet next to hers. She sighed but didn't want to disturb him as he prayed in front of the picture.

"Hallo, Soojung," Superintendent Kang smiled to the long-haired girl. 

"How do you know that I'm here?" Krystal asked in a demanding tone.

Kang Hari is used to Krystal's piercing gaze. He just chuckled, bowed to the picture before walked away. Krystal followed his gestures, saying goodbye in her head before walking behind her supervisor.

"I'm checking on my subordinate because she normally doesn't skip work, and I'm worried about my Dongsaeng," Kang Hari answered, "And it isn't too hard to guess where you are. Either here or at Jess'. The only mystery to me was why. It isn't his birthday or his death anniversary." He waited for a while, giving Krystal a chance to explain herself, but he becomes nothing but silence. 

 

"Anyways," he decided to change the topic because he knew Krystal wouldn't open up, "You coming back next week?"

Krystal nodded, "I'm driving back home today."

He stared at her and said, "You know you can talk to me..."

"I'm fine," Krystal answered shortly, "I just needed a break. See you at the headquarters next week, Oppa."

 

Kang Hari watched his junior slowly walking away from him before he decided to shout, "It's okay to move on."

Hearing his words, Krystal froze at the spot. She closed her eyes to adjust her emotion. 

"Chanyoung would want you to be happy." Kang Hari carefully said, "It is not wrong to move on. He would understand."

Krystal's were on the verge of tears. She turned around to shout to him, "How do you know that, Oppa? How do you know he would be happy? Did he come to you in your dream? Telling you all the BS you just told me?!"

"Soojung," Kang Hari approached her and said in a calm voice, "It's been thirteen years. You mourned enough for him."

"It wasn't his time, Oppa. He should be the one enjoying life instead of me. He should be the one falling for someone right now instead of me," Krystal closed her eyes, realizing what she just said. She just admitted that she's in love.

 

Kang Hari placed his hands on Krystal's shoulders, "Listen, I know that it wasn't fair. What happened to him; what happened to you; is not fair. But I know that he was the happiest person as he was with you. And I know that he loved you so much that he would want you to find someone that makes you feel as happy as he was with you."

Krystal didn't answer. She just stood there and stared at the ground. Kang Hari sighed, "Chanyoung was once your life. No matter how unfair it was, how he was taken away from you, he can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter