Case 17

Circles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It was me."

 

Krystal's voice echoed in the room. Afterward, the only thing you could hear in the room was the sounds of breathing. Everyone fell silent.

"Thirteen years ago, I started here as a fresh graduate from the academy. Superintendent Kang was my team leader at that time.  Chanyoung Oppa, I mean Senior Yoon was my mentor." Everybody's eyes were glued on Krystal. "I spent every day with Chanyoung Oppa. At some point, without knowing, we fell in love with each other. It was about a few months after we started dating when the kidnapping and the killing started. It was another time, there was already CCTV but of course not like today. The other team members were a lot older than us, and all they wanted was just to spend their time comfortably until their pension days come. In the end, it was only the three of us pursuing the clues and interviewing witnesses. The leads were all over the place, nothing makes any sense, but we lacked human resources. Bodies kept turning up every couple of days. The only solid clues we had were the preferences, the M.O, the missing skin, and the antiseptics."

"Antiseptics?" Haebin asked.

"He soaked the victims in a tube filled with antiseptics for hours before removing their skins. We didn't really figure out why. At first, we thought he must have had mysophobia, and he took the skins as trophies. As we searched for his place, it was so messy. There was no way that he was a mysophobia."

"You caught the culprit?" Kyuhyun asked carefully.

"In a way," Krystal answered, "He died at the crime scene."

 

Everyone turned their head back to the big screen as a picture appeared.

"Jang Dae-hee. 41 years old. Gardener."

Krystal looked away and closed her eyes after seeing his picture.

Kang Hari noticed it and turned the overhead projector off. He walked to Krystal and whispered, "You don't have to do this."

"I'm fine, Oppa," 

At that second, everyone got up on their feet as Krystal's legs gave way, but fortunately, superintendent Kang was near and fast enough to catch her before she fell to the floor. 

"Go home, Soojung. I'll make sure your team knows all the details about the case." Kang Hari dropped his honorifics. 

Krystal shook her head.

"Cadet Liu!" Kang Hari called Amber, who was still on her feet, her face pale with worries. 

"Yes, Sir?" Amber replied.

" team leader Jung to her home. Stay with her for the night. That's an order!" Superintendent ordered the young cadet.

"Yes, Sir." Amber rushed to Krystal's side and took her arm in her hand. "Nu... Team Leader," Amber corrected herself. 

"I'm fine, Cadet." Krystal denied Amber's arm. The latter could only look at her. Amber exchanged looks with superintendent Kang, who nodded and signed her to go back to her place. 

 

"Soojung," Kang Hari warned her again.

"I told you, I'm fine. Just give me a minute." She took a deep breath before continued, "I barely remembered the kidnapping. Chanyoung Oppa and I were out for dinner. We went back inside the car that we park on the other side of the road. The last thing I remember was the heat on my side. I woke up from the smell of antiseptics and found myself soaked in a tube. Chanyoung Oppa was chained on the ceiling. He was unconscious." Krystal had to signed twice before Kang Hari finally changed the slide, showing a room with a big white tube on the side. In the middle of the room, several chains were hanging from the ceiling. An autopsy table was on the other side. There were stains on the floor that seemed like a blood pool. Krystal's lips trembled as she saw the photo. The nightmare of how Chanyoung Oppa was brutally murdered in front of her flashed back in her mind. 


Kang Hari cleared his throat and continued the story, "We realized that Soojung and Chanyoung were missing on the next day as they didn't show up to work. We went to their homes. We found Chanyoung's car where he parked it, but there was no sign of struggle. It was the moment where the seniors were alerted and, for the first time, contributed to the case. We followed a lead of a repeated antiseptics purchase that was delivered to the address. When we got there, we were able to save Soojung, but it was too late for Officer Yoon. Jang Dae-Hee had his knife on Soojung do I had to shot him." 

He changed the slide again, showing a pale body of Jang Dae-hee on the morgue with the gunshot wound on his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter