CHAPTER 23

Blending In

Since she got home, Hyewon has been pacing around her apartment, waiting for Minju’s message regarding their dinner. She’s greatly panicking at the moment as she doesn’t know how she would interact with the girl without it being awkward.

As time passed by, Hyewon did not noticed it was already 5 until she heard her phone chime. Walking over quickly, she opened the message from Minju.

Is it alright if you can accompany me with the grocery? I’m planning to cook, or we could just do take-out?

  • Minju

Pondering about the request, Hyewon looked around her kitchen and noticed that she also needs to restock some of her supplies – foods and snacks. So, she sent a message agreeing with it.

Grocery it is. I need to restock too.

  • Hyewon

She then looked at the new message from Minju saying that she’ll arrive in her apartment in 10 minutes. With that said, Hyewon quickly washed up her face and let herself be nervous on the upcoming awkward atmosphere.

At exactly 10 minutes, she heard a knock on her door. Standing up from her couch, Hyewon quickly grabbed her phone and purse and walked over to her door.

“Hey,” She greeted, going out of her apartment. “You good?”

“Yeah, let’s go?” Minju smiled, Hyewon just nodded and walked over to the elevator.

Walking out of their apartment, no one said things for different reasons. For Hyewon, she couldn’t think of a topic or anything that would not result in the awkward air getting worse. In Minju’s case, she’s just nervous about this spontaneous grocery shopping – suggested by Yujin earlier.

With both of them in their own mind, they didn’t notice that they already arrived in the nearest grocery store from their apartment. Minju then grabbed a cart, and Hyewon just followed the girl.

The art student was just walking quietly behind the girl, when she felt her phone vibrate.

You better be friendly with Minju or I’ll kill you.

  • Sakura

Frowning, she is confused on the sudden message from her Japanese friend.

What, how did you know?

  • Hyewon

Look at your left, you dimwit.

  • Sakura

Turning slowly to the said direction, Hyewon looked around until she spotted familiar eyes glaring at her. Sakura is standing near a pillar holding what seems to be a plastic bag as she eats her ice cream. Hyewon then saw her squinting her eyes and gestured that she will kill Hyewon if she doesn’t treat Minju properly.

Gulping, Hyewon forced a smile as soon as Sakura walked away. Turning to look at Minju who at the same time turned to her.

“Are you alright?” Minju asked, noticing the unusual paleness of the girl beside her.

“Peachy.” Hyewon croaked out.

“Oh, do you want to go back?”

Hyewon quickly shakes her head, “No! I also need to buy some for restokcing.” She let out an awkward smile and started walking ahead, grabbing the cart from Minju.

Minju watched the girl walking, and started contemplating if she should open up about the rumor. Not sure what to do, she texted someone.

What should I do? You thought of going to the grocery, should I open about her painting? Or the rumor?

  • Minju

Unnie, don’t. Hyewon-unnie would definitely panic. She’s useless. Just start with easy topic.

  • Yujin

Okay, easy topic. Taking a deep breath, Minju gathered her courage to talk about something. Anything.

“So, - “

“Hey – “

“You go first!” Minju said, gesturing the other girl.

“No, you can, what is it?”

“Uh, how are you?” Minju lamely asked, internally slapping herself.

Hyewon could not help but to chuckle, she’s somehow getting a hang of this interaction and started going with the flow. Yeah, no awkwardness anymore. It’s all just me.

“I’m fine,” Hyewon smiled, “I was about to ask what are you planning to cook?” Be friendly. Stop the awkwardness.

“Oh, right!” Minju suddenly exclaimed, remembering why they are in a grocery in the first place, “Is pasta alright? I don’t really know what to cook or anything, or should I just – “

“Pasta sounds perfect.” Hyewon cuts her rambling, “Let’s also buy some steak for the two us. I’ll cook it, don’t worry.” She smiled and pushed the cart to the section where they could buy their ingredients.

Minju smiles at this and followed the girl quickly, unconsciously hooking her arm to Hyewon’s. the latter was startled by her action and stared at Minju’s arm, making Minju feel awkward. She then slowly retracts her hole when Hyewon stopped her.

“You might get lost,” She joked, “Just let it be.”

Minju could not help but to blush, “I know the place, you know.”

“You might get lost.” Hyewon ended the conversation and smiled, pushing the cart with Minju beside her, the latter blushing madly.

Hyewon might look calm on the outside but she’s internally panicking. She doesn’t know what got into her that she held the girl’s arm. She starts to remind herself that Minju is already dating someone. They are just friends. Friends, right.

Hyewon and Minju picked up the needed ingredients for their dinner, after that Hyewon started to get some things for her own apartment.

“You eat like that?”

“Like what?”

“Like a kid?”

Hyewon gasped at the insult, “These are not made for kids!”

“You’ll die early if you eat like that.”

“We’re all gonna die anyway,” She shrugs, “At least I’ll die sweetly.”

“Shut up,” Minju rolled her eyes, “Let’s get something much more acceptable.”

Then Minju dragged Hyewon and started grabbing some bread, spread, frozen ham for sandwiches, basically all the acceptable student essentials when it comes to foods.

Going to the counter, they first put the pasta and steak and its other ingredients be scanned. Then the foods that was picked by Minju. It was all smooth sailing, until it reached to Hyewon’s junks.

“5 bars of chocolates?” Minju asked, “Just take 2.”

“What?” Hyewon exclaimed, “No, I love those – “

“Just take 2, leave those 3.”

Just with a glare Hyewon complied to Minju.

“Gummies? Starbursts? Mentos?”

“With flavors!” Hyewon retorted.

“4 bags each?!”

“Yeah what’s the – “

“Hyewon you’ll die of diabetes.”

“Let me die peacefully.”

“Shut it, take 1 bag each.” Minju glared.

“But – “

“No buts!”

Hyewon pouted, putting 1 bag of each candies she carefully chose earlier. She then looked longingly at the Starbursts and looked at Minju who is looking at her with amusement.

“Can I have at least 2 bags of Starbursts?” Hyewon asked quietly like a kid.

Minju chuckled and pinched her cheek, making the other girl blush. “Alright, just the Starbursts.”

Hyewon beamed at the girl. Unbeknownst to them, the cashier is watching their interaction with a small smile on his face. It seems like he is very entertained with the debate they got earlier.

Properly putting all the purchased items in a bag, the two split the bill. Minju insisting that they split it fairly since Hyewon accompanied her. The latter could not protest since Minju is unusually very adamant that day.

“You girls fight like married couple.” The cashier chuckled, “Here’s the change. Thank you, please come again.”

The two looked at him awkward and looked at each other, blushing. Clearing out of awkwardness, Hyewon grabbed the bags and bowed. Followed by Minju, the girl insisting that she should carry some bags since they just walk.

“I can handle this.” Hyewon reassured.

Frowning, Minju then walked beside Hyewon hooking her arms with the latter.

“I’m carrying the bags.” Hyewon said as she looked at the girl.

“Seems like a personal problem.”

“Fine,” Hyewon retorted, “Don’t let go. I don’t want you to get lost.” She grinned.

This made Minju blush, thankful that Hyewon did not see it. She pinched the girl lightly making Hyewon laugh.

Irene-unnie’s right. I don’t want you out of my life. Hyewon thought. I’ll stay even just a friend. Hyewon smiled sadly at herself, already accepting that no matter what happens, she would only be Minju’s friend. But to hell it is, she’ll be the greatest friend that the girl would ever have.

 

///

 

Arriving at their apartment, the two parted ways for a few minutes since Hyewon would just need to put all the things she bought in her apartment. With that said, Minju proceed to her own.

She then immediately started to cook their pasta and the sauce. She just wanted to make some simple carbonarra for the both of them. She didn’t bother to cook the steak since Hyewon said she would be the one to cook it.

Minju was busy stirring the sauce when her phone started ringing, indicating that someone is calling her. She looked at the contact only to see Yena.

“Heard you and Kwangbae went out on a date.” Yena teased as soon as Minju accepted the call.

“It’s hardly a date,” Minju said, “Yujin suggested it.”

“You want it to be though,” Yena chuckled, “Is Kwangbae there?”

“No, she’s putting her own grocery in her apartment. Why?”

“Great, I know what happened to Taeyong,” Yena stated, “Apparently, they had a short vacation. He’d be back tomorrow.”

Hearing that, Minju suddenly felt anger rising up to her, “What should I do?”

Hearing a scoff from the other line, “Give him the best rejection in his life.”

“And don’t mess it up, since we’re rooting for you. Kwangbae can be really dense. We don’t even mention your name to her unless she starts it.”

Agreeing with what the other girl said, they both ended the call. Minju received a new message as soon as the call was dropped.

Walk with her tomorrow morning.

  • Yujin

You don’t have to remind me; I’m already planning to.

  •  Minju

Right, disgusting.

  • Yujin

Minju chuckles at the reply, it seems like Hyewon’s close friends are really entertaining. She grateful that Chaewon forced her to talk with them. It seems like Chaewon really likes the three and they already got along really well during that one lunch.

 

//

 

Minju never thought she would see Chaewon dragging her to the cafeteria to talk to a certain group of friends, but here she is being dragged by her best friend. Not minding that they would have a class in the next 45 minutes.

“Can you pull your weight and get your in the cafeteria?” Chaewon huffed out.

“Why do you want to even talk to them?” Minju asked, her best friend is completely random.

“Minju, we of course need to make things straight to them. If they knew your side, I think they would help you.”

And that’s how they found themselves sitting beside Sakura and Yena, who are obviously sending glares at her. Minju could only wish that Chaewon would save her, then the both of them noticed Yujin approaching their table.

It was obvious that the girl was surprised to see them there.

“Hey, I’m Chaewon.” Her best friend introduced nonchalantly.

“Uhh, she’s my best friend.” Minju added, “I’m Minju, if you guys don’t – “

“We know.” She heard Sakura say, making Minju winced at the tone. It was not hostile, but she could feel the coldness in her voice. I’m going to die.

“Unnie, what are you doing?”

Thank Sappho for Yujin trying to ease up the atmosphere, Minju was about to answer when Chaewon beat her to it.

“Can you help us?” Chaewon asked, “We need to find Taeyong.”

“Shouldn’t Minju know where he is? She is his girlfriend after all.”

Hearing that, Minju could not help but to flinch slightly. She is by all means not his girlfriend, but of course that dickhead spread that life shattering rumor about them.

“That’s the point.” Chaewon groaned, “Taeyong spread that false rumor about them.”

Seeing their reactions, Minju feels like she needs to explain and step in the conversation.

“I rejected him, but then the next school day this rumor is swirling around. I couldn’t even contact him.”

“Oh .”

“So, will you help us?”

Sakura then cleared , “What’s your side anyway? I mean, why do you need our help? You can ask anyone about that boy.”

Chaewon smirked at the question and faced the girl, “I may have overheard her,” Chaewon points at Yujin, “Phone call last Saturday. About Hyewon crying and being rejected by my best friend.”

“What?” Yujin exclaimed, “How did you – “

“I was behind you on the line at the café.” Chaewon rolled her eyes, “I connected the dots and guessed that Hyewon was about to confess to my best friend.”

“But my genius best friend decided to ‘hang out’ with Taeyong. And that douchebag used that to spread some gross rumor about them.”

“Why would we even help you?” Yena asked frowning, “I still don’t get why we should help you find that guy.”

“It may have escaped your notice but Minju also has feelings for your friend.”

Minju immediately kicked her best friend under the table making her release a groan. “You shut up.” She hissed.

“No can do, they already heard it.”

“Is that true?” Yujin asked with wide eyes, looking at Minju. Seeing her stare, Minju avoided her gaze and could not help but to blush.

“Oh , it’s true.” Sakura coughed, “Holy .”

“You guys make me puke.” Yujin acted like she’s going to throw up.

“How did you know? Like what? How did you connect the dots?” Yena started firing questions after questions at the both of them.

“Well, first the phone call.” Chaewon said, “Then after that, she was not in her apartment. Minju could not even contact her.”

“The last confirmation was the painting.” She rolled her eyes, “You do know that, that was an exhibit, right?”

“She also gave me a bracelet with an engraved Latin phrase similar to the painting.” Minju mumbled, still blushing not being able to look them in the eyes.

“Oh, wow.” Yena breathed out, “Damn, you guys are good.”

“Or Kang-chan is just really obvious.” Sakura rolled her eyes, “So much for being discreet and blending in.”

“I know.” Chaewon scoffed.

Yujin was about to talk when she noticed someone approaching them.

“Ms. Kang!” Yujin was about to bow to the older woman when she was stopped.

“I was just going to tell you that classes are cancelled, take it as a free day because of the exhibit. Alright? Please relay the message to your classmates.” The instructor smiled, then looked at the other people on the table.

“Good day,” She greeted and looked at the other two students, “Don’t you have classes in about 20 minutes?”

“Right!” Minju exclaimed, standing up quickly. The instructor just chuckled and bid her farewell.

“Chaewon come on!” Minju said pulling the girl.

“Wait, I need to get their numbers.” She then directed a question to Yujin, “Where’s Hyewon?”

“Oh, she’s at the library. I guess she’s helping. Her and Irene-unnie are really close.”

Minju raised her eyebrows at the information, “How close?”

“I mean, Irene-unnie was the one who took Hyewon-unnie at my apartment.” Yujin wondered, “So, I guess really close.”

“Great, Minju go with her to talk to Hyewon.” Chaewon ordered, pushing the girl to Yujin. “You’ll go to pick her up at the library, right?”

Yujin nodded.

“Great, see you in class Minju.” Chaewon said and quickly walked away, leaving Minju dumbfounded.

“So, you like Hyewon-unnie?” Yujin teased.

“Damn, and here I thought that it was one-sided.” Yena chimed in.

“She doesn’t know that you know, right?” Sakura asked at the blushing Minju.

Minju shakes her head, “I never had the time to talk to her, she always avoids me. I guess.”

“She is avoiding you.” Yena clarified, “Kwangbae is really good at avoiding people. I mean she’s been under the radar for so long even though she has the visuals of like a goddess.

“Unnie, that’s just gross.” Yujin grimaced.

“She’s telling the truth though.” Sakura shrugged, “But don’t worry we got you.”

Yena nodded quickly, “I know some people close to that douchebag, I can ask around our department.”

Minju smiled gratefully at the three girls in front of her, “Thank you.”

Yujin then stood up, finish with her lunch. Followed by Sakura and Yena.

“Come on, we need to talk to Hyewon.” Yujin said pulling Minju out of the cafeteria.

“Ask her for dinner,” Sakura suggested, “She’s been skipping meals, that’s her consequence since she ditched us.”

“Right! Kwangbae is so going to die!” Yena exclaimed, “Just tell us if she’s treating you like an awkward person. She’s useless sometimes.”

“Most of the time.” Yujin corrected, “We gotta go, bye unnies!”

“Right, good luck there Minju.” Sakura smiled at the girl, who returned it.

Yena smiled and patted her shoulder walking away to her department.

 

//

 

Hyewon arrived at Minju’s apartment and knocked on the door, a few seconds then she was welcomed by Minju, and a very great aroma of some cooked pasta.

“Hey, you already cooked?”

Minju nodded and stepped aside, “Yeah, but I left the steak since you said you’re going to cook it.”

“Great, I’ll get right into it.” Hyewon smiled, leaving her phone at the table. Minju followed the girl at the kitchen, deciding to prepare the table.

Humming to herself, Hyewon started cutting some garlic and other spices that could be put on the steak. She glanced at Minju who was busy preparing the table.

She then started heating up the pan with butter, until she remembered something.

“Hey, how do you like your steak?” She asked Minju.

“Oh, medium rare.” Minju answered.

“Cool,” Hyewon nodded, “You can wash up. I’ll be done here right on time.” She suggested.

Minju smiled at the girl and nodded, she walked to her room and went to get a towel. She decided to just have a quick shower since she’s too lazy to have a long one.

Entering the bathroom, she quickly stripped off her clothes went in the shower. Somehow, she feels like what they are doing is really domestic. She couldn’t wait to just talk to Taeyong tomorrow and clear things up. If he even talks to me.

Feeling that she’s been in the shower longer than she expected, she turned it off. Wrapping the towel around her body, she picked up her used clothes and put it in the hamper.

She then walked out of the bathroom only to bumped on someone.

“Minju – “

“What – “

Hyewon and Minju collided with each other, the former was about to call the girl since she was already finish with the steak. And no steak is good when it’s cold.

She quickly held on to Minju’s who was almost out of balance.

“Are you ok – “ Hyewon stopped noticing something. She quickly hugged the girl tightly, much to Minju’s surprise.

Hyewon was blushing madly, and that goes the same for Minju. With the spontaneous hug, she could not help but to stutter out her question.

“What, why are you – “

“Oh my god, Minju,” Hyewon panicked, “Your towel is slipping off.”

Blinking, Minju suddenly felt the cold air hitting the quarter of her body. Holy , what the hell.

“I swear I didn’t see anything!” Hyewon exclaimed, “I have my eyes closed.”

Blushing madly, Minju looked at where the other of the towel is. Since Hyewon is hugging her tightly, she couldn’t grab it.

“Uh, can you grab the other end of the towel?” Minju whispered, “Please.”

“Right, right.” Hyewon muttered out, “I’ll take a peek, just okay.” She breathed out.

Locating the other of the towel, she quickly gave it to Minju. Hyewon then stepped back and turned around, letting the girl do her business.

“I’ll just, do something!” Hyewon exclaimed walking away.

Minju is also flustered with the quick turn of events and walked to her own room locking it. She slapped herself for not properly putting the towel on. Or not even using a bathrobe. I don’t even have one!

Now, she just expects that everything would be normal between them during their dinner.

 

///

 

It was awkward.

Hyewon could not even look Minju in her eyes, mumbling about how good the pasta was and all that.

“The pasta is really good.” Hyewon said while boring holes into her own meal.

Minju looked up from her own and blushed, “Thanks.”

“Is the steak, alright for you?” Hyewon worriedly asked. Minju looked up again making Hyewon immediately divert her gaze to her plate.

“The steak is perfect.”

“Good.”

And they continued eating. Hyewon swore she did not see anything earlier, well maybe a little bit. Just a little skin around the hipbone. Don’t ask her why she was looking there, but she immediately closed her eyes and hugged the girl to prevent the towel from falling. I think I should buy her some bathrobes.

Clearing , “I swear I didn’t see anything.” She blurted out.

Minju quickly looked up, in the middle of eating her steak. She choked on air on the sudden topic. Hyewon quickly grabbed the water and offered it to the girl, which Minju accepted wholeheartedly.

“I believe you.” Minju said quietly, “I’m sorry about it. It’s my fault.”

“No, I mean. I don’t know.” Hyewon pouted, “But you shouldn’t be sorry! It was an accident, I bet you have a great body – “

She stopped whatever she was saying. WHAT. THE. .

“The pasta is so ing good; I could die happily.” Hyewon exclaimed and stuffed herself with the pasta.

Minju blushed madly and nodded quietly, she couldn’t look at Hyewon after what she just said. She is seriously feeling embarrassed at that moment. She never thought that this dinner would turn into this awkward little gathering in a matter of 5 minutes.

After their very weird dinner, Minju volunteered to wash the dishes and Hyewon immediately complied. She just sat there on the couch scrolling through her phone, hoping that it wouldn’t be awkward after a few minutes.

Feeling the couch dip on her side, she looked up and saw Minju already finished.

“I’m full.” Minju breathed out.

“I could tell.” Hyewon chuckled, thankful that the awkwardness is not there anymore.

After that, the conversation flowed naturally asking each other what they have been up to and all that. But of course, there was still an elephant in the room. But Hyewon being the dumb one, she is not aware that Minju knows everything.

Which is why it is so easy for her to just stray from topics to topics. Minju on the other hand is being careful, yet alert when a topic opens up or if Hyewon decided to talk to her about THAT topic.

She just remembers what Hyewon’s friends said to her, which is to never open the topic when it is just the two of them. Because as much as she wants to deny the three’s accusation of Hyewon being useless and dense, she couldn’t help but to agree.

Sometimes Minju would lean closer to the girl, and Hyewon would just stare at her and smile. Sharing another thing about what happened to her or what not – or even a new series she’s watching. Hyewon is completely dense.

Minju then tried leaning her head on Hyewon’s shoulder but the girl flinched and coughed so much Minju was afraid she would die. Hyewon is a useless lesbian.

So yeah, Minju has been stepping around on the topic about her ‘relationship’ and the confession, heck even the painting on the exhibit.

“I miss our 3AM deep talks.” Minju pouted.

“It only happened once,” Hyewon chuckled, “And it was not even 3AM.”

“But still, I miss it.”

“It’s still available, don’t worry.” Hyewon smiled.

“Really?”

“Really.”

Minju beamed at that and hugged Hyewon’s arm, to be honest she wanted to fully hug Hyewon but the latter might push her off the couch.

Coughing awkwardly, “It’s getting late, I need to go home now.”

Minju pouted, “Right, you still have a 3-hour class tomorrow.”

“Can I walk with you tomorrow?” Minju asked smiling at the girl.

Hyewon looked at her weirdly, “But, your class won’t start until – “

“I want to walk with you tomorrow.”

A beat.

A few blinks from the art student.

Minju started to scold herself for being too forward seeing that Hyewon is not saying anything to her. She was about to take back what she said when,

“I want that too.” Hyewon smiled, “I’ll get going now, see you tomorrow then.”

Minju could only nod at the girl who already turned around and walked out of her apartment. Hearing the click of the door, Minju could not help but to squeal in delight.

I want that too.

I want that too.

I want that too.

I want that too.

 

//

 

Hyewon threw herself on her bed replaying what she said in her head.

“I want that too?” Hyewon whispered to herself.

“Why the would I say that?!”

Hyewon slapped herself, “Don’t forget that she has a boyfriend! Be a good friend and support her Kang Hyewon!”

She didn’t even confirm it to you. Her subconscious said.

“But still, maybe they are taking it slow!”

Or maybe, it’s all a scam.

“Who the are you?”

You. But not a dense and useless lesbian.

“What does that even mean?!”

Useless lesbian.

“You sound like Yujin, Yena, and Sakura.” Hyewon muttered, “Great I’m even talking to myself.”

Realizing she’s still talking to herself, Hyewon turned around and screamed at her pillow.

“Kim Minju! You make me go crazy!”