CHAPTER 4

Blending In

Checking the clock from time to time, Hyewon was getting impatient. Her current instructor, Mr. Lee has been talking for nonstop. It was almost time to dismiss the class but it seems like he’s not going to end his monologue any sooner. She’s been tapping her table with her finger, as she tried, keyword: tried, taking some notes.

“Unnie, you’re being too obvious.” Yujin whispered.

“He’s too talkative.”

“Just wait for a few minutes.”

It seems like she was heard by the heavens, when Mr. Lee dismissed the class after he checked his wristwatch. Simultaneously, students stood up from their seats and quickly went out not bothering to say their farewell.

“Will you go to the library again?” Yujin asked and Hyewon hummed in response.

“Be discreet this time.”

“I’m always discreet if I’m alone.” Hyewon rolled her eyes.

“Well it may have escaped your notice,” Yujin started, “But you introduced yourself earlier to her. So, you might need to be very discreet this time. Don’t be too obvious.”

Seeing the stunned look of Hyewon, the younger girl laughed and patted the girl’s shoulders saying some word of encouragement and quickly going out the room. Hyewon in all honesty, forgot that she and Minju had an interaction earlier.

Now, she doesn’t even know if she should go to the library. But it’s not like the girl would approach her, right? Hyewon is hoping that she wouldn’t, because if Minju does approach her, Hyewon would malfunction. Big time.

Which is why Hyewon went to the library, contemplating if she should enter. She’s been standing in front of the entrance for a good five minutes. Why the hell is she even here? Oh right, her muse. Shaking her head, she entered the library. What’s the worst that could happen, right?

 

///

 

ABORT. ABORT. ABORT.

As soon as Hyewon walked inside, she dreaded the sight in front of her. Minju is not in usual table, but rather in Hyewon’s. How the hell. Hyewon looked at Minju’s table to see if it’s occupied. It’s not. So, why is the girl at her table?

She hopes that Minju did not notice her, well given the fact that Minju’s back is her facing, the girl would not have notice her. The most logical thing to do is for Hyewon to exit the library and go back to her apartment. But Hyewon is not the most logical person sometimes.

Hyewon quietly looked for another spot where she could see Minju. She doesn’t know why, but her hands are tingling, wanting to draw the girl in a new perspective. She has not drawn the girl for like 8 hours. Is that weird?

It just does not feel right for Hyewon. Looking around, she found a perfect spot. A single leather chair, right in the corner of a bookshelf. Walking quietly, Hyewon situated herself at the chair, noticing how comfortable it was. She then took out her sketchpad and a pencil, looking up to see Minju still reading. She’s thankful that the chair is partially being covered by some bookshelves, but her view is perfect.

Lounging on it, Hyewon first warmed up just like before. Drawing random thing that she could see, especially now that she has a new spot. As always, her eyes would stray to Minju and her hand and pencil doing the work.

Hyewon could say Minju is perfect in any angle. She could attest to that, but right now she’s busy sketching the girl. This sketch is not like before, because this one she’s so into it. Absorbed by the girl’s beauty, with the light perfectly hitting the girl’s face.

Her soft hair falling perfectly down to her shoulders, one side tucked in to her ear. The golden hour hitting Minju’s face, perfectly emphasizing her nose and other features. Don’t let Hyewon start with her eyes. Brown eyes was never good until she saw Minju’s.

Gulping, she stared hard at the girl for a few minutes to marvel her beauty. Then without further ado, she started sketching again. The image intact in her mind, not bothering to look up again. She wants to properly draw that image, that perfect scene in her head.

Soft lines were drawn, line after line, shade after shade. Perhaps, this spot is perfect for Hyewon. No one is there to see how she looks like, because she’s sure she looks crazy. Drawing on her sketchpad with a crazy expression, on the corner of the library. Stalker.

Which is why she did not notice the time, not until she finished her work. With sweats forming at the side of her face, she released a sigh. She looked like she just did a 5-km run, but she does not care. She raised her sketchpad to see her finish work.

Smiling to herself, she saw her masterpiece. Minju in her perfect form. Details were properly drawn by her, the light source coming from the right direction. But what made it perfect is the fact that Minju is there. Nodding her head for her success, Hyewon quickly closed her sketchpad. Gathering her things, she stood up from the chair and stretched.

She then checked her phone to see the time, only to read that it was already 4:05. Minju would not be there anymore. Walking out from her corner, Hyewon went to Irene’s desk to say her farewell. The librarian smiled.

“Someone was looking for you.”

This made Hyewon halt her steps. Turning around she asked, “Who?”

“I think you know who.” Irene smirked, turning to her computer. Leaving the art student confused.

 

///

 

Hyewon groaned out when she heard her phone ringing for the nth time. She has been ignoring it for how long, who would even call at 9 in the morning? On a Saturday, nonetheless. She let the phone ring for a few seconds, gathering her brain cells back to her.

Grabbing the phone, she rolled her eyes.

Yujinnie calling…

“What?”

Hyewon grumbled thrugh her phone which earned a chuckle from the other side.

“Good morning to you too, unnie.” Yujin said in a singsong voice, which made Hyewon grumble more.

“What’s good about it?”

“Don’t be grumpy now.”

“What do you want?”

“Kura-unnie wanted to go to out.”

Surprise was an understatement. The hermit wanting to go out all of a sudden, but Hyewon was not one to talk, since she’s a hermit herself.

“Is she on drugs?”

“Unnie, she’s been on it for a while. Haven’t you noticed?” Yujin joked, earning a light laugh from the older girl.

“Whatever. Text me where and what time.”

Without waiting for a reply, Hyewon hung up. Staring at the ceiling, she stretched herself for a moment and sat up. Hearing her phone chime, she knew that Yujin texted her about the details

AA Café. 11 AM.

  • Yujinnie

Noted.

  • Kwangbae

Hyewon sees that she still has roughly 2 hours to prepare. Looking around, she stood up and started to clean her place. Papers are everywhere, pencils are scattered around. Her mother would surely combust when she sees the condition of her place.

Seeing that the papers are not important, she put it inside her trash while the pencils were put at the pencil holder on her desk. She then looked at her brushes and organized it. Hyewon then fixed her bed, and took the sketchpad under it.

Turning to her unfinished work, her work of Minju was staring at her. Not actually staring per se, since her sketch was only just the outlines. Biting her lips, she closed the sketchpad and put it back under her bed. She decided to prepare for later, getting a towel she went straight to her bathroom.

//

“So, how’s your muse?”

Hyewon coughed at the sudden question of Sakura who was eating her cake innocently. She looked at the two girls with them who are obviously trying to not laugh.

“So-so.” Hyewon answered vaguely.

“Really?” Yena asked with a teasing tone.

Groaning, she glared at the three girls in front of her. Looking innocently as possible. This is why they wanted to hand out.

“Don’t start.”

“Oh, come one unnie!” Yujin exclaimed, putting her drink down. “We just want to help!”

“I don’t need your help.”

“Obviously, you do.” Sakura deadpanned.

“There’s nothing to help me with.” Hyewon answered, “I can still draw just fine.”

“She’s an English major.” Yena quipped in.

Which, as much as Hyewon wanted to deny it, got her attention. Turning her head to the latter, who was smirking. The three of them knew that they got the girl’s interest. Hyewon knows her curiosity is showing.

“So?” She asked, hiding her curiosity with her deadpanned voice. “What are you saying?”

“She’s popular.” Sakura added

“I could say that.”

“Right, because you’ve been stalking her for weeks now.” Yujin teased earning a laugh from Sakura and Yena, while a kick from Hyewon.

“The point is she’s popular,” Yena explained, “But you’ve just discovered her for like the past few weeks, when you entered the library.”

“I don’t follow.”

Rolling their eyes, Sakura stopped eating putting her fork down.

“It means that you should get your up, and approach her.”

“Excuse me, what?”

“You heard me.”

“She’s just a muse.” Hyewon countered back, ignoring the statement. “There’s no reason for me to approach her.”

“Really?” Yena questioned.

“Because you’ve been drawing her in between classes, unnie.” Yujin butted in. “Details. Details. You are so whipped.”

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon shook her head ignoring the three.

“She’s popular just like what you said.” Hyewon shrugged her shoulders, “Where would that take me?”

Smirking, Sakura looked at her friend and shook her head. She glanced at the other two who are smiling widely.

“Kang-chan, just go out there and you’d be popular in no time.”

“No, thanks.” Hyewon quickly said. “I love my life as it is.”

“Sooner or later, you’d be up the radar.” Yujin stated making the other two nod their heads.

“She’ll know you eventually.” Yena said as finished her drink.

“Not if I’m not obvious and discreet.” This earned a loud laugh from the three, making the art student look at them weirdly.

“Unnie, discreet is out of the window the moment we knew your escapades.” Yujin laughed making Hyewon groan.

“She’s been asking about you.” Sakura shrugged her shoulders.

“What?”

“Sources.” The Japanese girl smiled innocently. “So, double the work on being discreet or your secret would be expose.”

Hyewon’s mind is in overdrive now. She looks at the three girls in front of her who are talking to themselves, dropping the subject about Minju. The girl has been asking about her? Since when? Since their accidental, in courtesy of her friends, interaction. Is that why she sat at her table? Did she notice me there way before?

Hyewon’s mind was spinning, forgetting the foods in front of her until she felt someone touched her arm. Only to look at Yena with a worried look.

“You’ll be fine.” Yena reassured her. “Just be careful, so you won’t be exposed.”

She nodded her head, giving a small smile. Her friends might be a pain in the , and they might be the reason why Minju is asking about her. But she knows they are looking out for her, not wanting to be exposed and all that. She’s been living under the radar for so long, that she would not want to leave her status.

Her shy could not handle another interaction with Minju again. Hyewon can only pray to God to not mess with her.

 

///

 

Hyewon could not get herself to think straight, no pun intended. It was only a Sunday, which means that she would not see Minju. Her muse is getting out of hand, she’s a nervous wreck after hearing what Sakura said yesterday at the café.

That’s how Hyewon decided to spend her Sunday, sketching Minju. She’s been holding her pencil for half the day to the point that she could not feel her hands anymore. Putting the pencil down, she looked around her room. Great, I just cleaned up yesterday.

There laying around the floor are various papers, full of sketches of her muse. Her side profile, portrait, different angles. Her beautiful features.

Gulping, Hyewon hastily stood up and picked up all the papers, compiling them. She then inserted it in her sketchbook, closing it. Deciding that she should stop for the day. Maybe it’s not just really a simple muse.

She walked over to her kitchen and opened some cabinet only to be disappointed. She decided to go to the nearest convenient store and buy some instant noodles. She’s craving some for the day.

Entering it, she went straight to the noodle section and grabbed her favorite ones. She proceeded to the counter and paid for it. She’s too exhausted to greet the cashier, so Hyewon just managed to give him a little smile as gratitude.

Without looking, she exits the convenience store only to bump into someone.

“, I’m so sorry.” Hyewon apologized, “I wasn’t looking.”

She immediately picked up the books that have fallen to the ground, grimacing that she might have damaged them. Picking it up, she noticed it was full of notable English authors and stories. Raising her eyebrows, she hoped that she didn’t damage anything. Until she heard a quiet giggle, she whipped her head up to see Minju, standing there in all her glory.

“We should stop meeting like this.” She joked, making Hyewon blush.

Standing up straight, Hyewon gave the book to the amused girl. No wonder it’s full of English Classics.

“I’m sorry, really.” Hyewon continuously bow, not caring if she looks absolutely ridiculous.

Minju laughed and grabbed the book from Hyewon, “It’s alright. I wasn’t looking either.”

Hyewon stopped and nodded her head, she could feel herself getting awkward. She looked around not knowing what to do anymore.

“So, you live around here?”

Surprised at the question, the art student could only just nod. But seeing that Minju is waiting for her to elaborate she stumbled to explain.

“Uhh, I just live there,” She pointed at the apartment building. “Right over there.”

Looking at where she’s pointing, Minju saw her apartment building. It made the girl smile widely and turned her head to look at Hyewon, who could not help but to blush.

“Really?” She exclaimed happily, “I’m going to move there soon!”

“What?”

“I’m going to move there soon!” Minju laughed, “We might be seeing each other often from now on.”

, . Hyewon is panicking. How could she function with Minju right in front of her smiling so widely, and then telling her that she would be living in the same apartment soon. Hyewon is screwed.

“T-that’s great!” Hyewon hastily said and quickly walked away, “B-but I need to go! Sorry! Take care!”

She hoped she wasn’t obvious, but she ran to her apartment. Leaving an amused Minju staring at her figure. She’s cute.

 

///

 

Hyewon was staring at her ramen for the whole time, she was mindlessly cooking the moment she went back to her apartment. Replaying the interaction with Minju earlier. Processing the fact that the girl would move in this apartment building. Hyewon doesn’t know what to do with that.

She started to eat the ramen, almost cold from all her staring, and finished it rather quickly. Hyewon needs to get over this muse of hers. It’s making her go crazy, she’s not sure what’s happening anymore. Washing up, she laid down on her bed.

Staring at the ceiling, she remembered Minju’s smile from earlier. Don’t do it. Don’t do it.

.

Sighing, she stood up quickly making her head spin for a second and quickly grabbed her sketchpad and pencil. She could not stay still. Hyewon decided to draw Minju. Again. But with a new image in her mind, a widely smiling Minju with only the night sky and lamp post as the source of light.

Scratching of pencil against paper could be heard from her apartment, a single source of light coming from her lamp shade. It went on for about 2 hours until Hyewon finished it. Looking at it, she smiled to herself. Perfect.

Checking the time, it was already 11PM. Closing her sketchpad, she quickly went to wash her hands from all the dirt of her pencil. Hyewon laid on her bed grabbing the blanket to cover her. She let herself be consumed with sleep, but not without seeing a certain English student’s smile in her dreams.