CHAPTER 18

Blending In

With the sun streaming through the blinds, Hyewon wakes up with an energy that she never had before. Pushing away the blanket and standing up, she stretched her body and looked around her room.

Going out of the place, she couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. Remembering the messages from last night just makes her feel giddy inside. She started preparing for the day by taking a refreshing shower and having a light breakfast with toast.

Not knowing what courage got into her, she grabbed her phone and texted Minju.

Hey, you up?

  • Hyewon

Yeah, good morning 😊

Hyewon smiled at the reply and quickly types something.

Want to walk together?

  • Hyewon

Reading the reply, Hyewon quickly grabbed her things and went out of her apartment. Using the elevator to arrive at Minju’s apartment floor, she proceeded on the girl’s door. Opting to knock to announce her arrival.

“Hey,” Minju greets her, “Wow, you’re in a good mood.”

Hyewon frowns seeing Minju’s face, “And it seems like you didn’t have much sleep.”

Minju’s face says it all, she looks so drained at the moment completely opposite of Hyewon.

“Yeah, just too much things to think about.”

Feeling that the girl does not want to delve into the subject, Hyewon decided to drop it.

“I’d offer you advice but it’s not yet 3AM.” Hyewon jokes, hoping to change the mood.

Minju smiles at her, “You’re too strict.”

“No can do.” Hyewom chuckled, and gestured for the girl to walk ahead, following suit. The ride at the elevator was quiet, asking about their classes and all. Getting out of the apartment building, Minju opened up about the exhibit.

“So, you’re going to have an exhibit?” Minju asks.

That got Hyewon’s attention, turning to look at the girl, “How did you know?”

“Ms. Kang invited us.” Minju explains, “It’s additional credit.”

Hearing the answer, Hyewon just rolled her eyes. “Teachers and their additional credits.”

“But, yeah. We’d be doing it for our final project.” Hyewon confirms, “Will you come?”

“Yeah, it’s on Monday, right?” Minju said not really waiting for answer, “Is that what you’re painting the last time?”

“Last time?”

“Last Sunday? You were covered in paint.” Minju said, recalling the time when she asked Hyewon to join her for frame-hunting.

“Oh, right. Yeah.” Hyewon nodded, remembering that day.

“So, what did you paint?” Minju curiously looks at the art student beside her.

“Just a piece.” Hyewon quietly answers.

Receiving a vague answer, Minju suddenly became really curious. “Oh, come. Just give me a hint?”

Hyewon bits her lips, until she decided to just say one of her insecurities.

“You said that you always see me sketch, right?” Hyewon asked, then continued. “There’s actually a reason for that.”

“What is it?” Minju said giving the girl an encouraging look.

“When I was young, I was really more into painting. I got it from my father,” Hyewon smiles remembering the old days. “But then, I stopped because of this stupid promise to myself.”

Minju frowns at what Hyewon said, “Promises are not stupid.”

“Well, this promise is stupid for an art student.” Hyewon laughs, “I promised that I would only paint again when I found someone I love. Blame my father for that promise. I was inspired by him.”

Hyewon continued, “So, I started sketching. Anything I see I’ll sketch.”

“So, passing a painting as a project really scares me, you know? Because it’s been too long, and I don’t know if I can still paint that good.”

After hearing Hyewon’s story, Minju just focused on one thing. Paint again when I found someone I love.

“So, you painted a person?” Minju asks the girl quietly.

“You’ll have to go to the exhibit to see.” Hyewon smiles at the girl not wanting to answer her properly.

“You’re really weird.” Minju rolls her eyes.

“And yet you’re here.”

The two of them stopped, already in the middle of the hallway and smiled at each other.

“And yet I’m here.” Minju said and looks at Hyewon, who is smiling softly. Too soft that made Minju’s heart skipped a beat.

“We need to get to classes.” Hyewon announced, feeling the atmosphere getting intense. Minju nodded her head and waved at the girl.

“Library? Later lunch?” Minju asks, hopeful look on her face.

“You bet.” Hyewon nodded and waved back.

 

///

 

Going to a class never felt so great for Hyewon, talking to Minju really does things to her. Entering the room, she couldn’t wipe her smile and Yujin obviously noticed it.

“You look happy.” She raises her eyebrows, observing the older girl.

Hyewon did not bother to hide it, “I am.”

“Looks good on you.” Yujin smiles, “So, we’re going to bring out piece tomorrow.” She started.

“Oh, right. Thanks for reminding me.” Hyewon smiles at the girl, “Are you finished with yours?”

“Yeah, finished it the night before.” Yujin answers and looks at the girl curiously, “How about you?”

“Of co – “

“You have many paintings, what will you bring?” Yujin clarifies.

“Oh,” Hyewon breathes out, pursing her lips. “The first one I painted.”

“Which is?”

“You’ll see it.” The older girl shrugs.

“Ever the mystery.” Yujin bumped their shoulders together, “I’m sure it’s going to be beautiful.”

“I hope so.”

A beat. Silence engulfed them. But Hyewon’s mind is so loud right now, that she blurted out.

“I’m going to confess.”

Yujin turned to her with wide eyes, “What?”

“I’m going to confess.” Hyewon repeated, with much more conviction.

Yujin beamed and squealed, “About time!”

Fishing out her phone, Hyewon looks at the younger girl typing rapidly.

“What are you doing?”

“Telling the other two.”

“Yujin!”

And as if on cue, Hyewon’s phone chimed.

the pink tree, the duck, the dog, and the

thedog: Kwangbae. Confess. BREAKING.NEWS

thepinktree: waAaATTT

theduck: NO EFIN WAY

the: guys, shut it

thepinktree: when when when when

theduck: we need to see it

thedog: ryt, she didn’t tell me dat

Hyewon rolled her eyes nudging the younger girl who was giggling.

“Just reply.” Yujin said.

the: im planning tom

After sending the reply, Hyewon quickly pocketed her phone. Ignoring the loud gasp coming from the younger girl, she nudged Yujin to keep her own phone. The instructor already in the room.

“You’re going to – “

“Shut up.” Hyewon hissed, but seeing Yujin smile she could not help but to return it.

“Good luck.” Yujin whispered, and she meant it.

 

//

 

Minju quietly walks to her class, thinking about her stupid decision yesterday, the deep talk with Hyewon, and their walk earlier. She touched softly the bracelet the girl gave her; it became her habit. Weirdly giving her comfort and assurance in times of nervousness.

She sits beside Chaewon who ignored her, but Minju still decided to talk.

“I was stupid.” She quietly said.

“You still are.” Chaewon shortly replied.

“I’m just not sure, okay?” Minju quietly said, feeling sorry for herself. “I, maybe, I just thought that it would help me?”

“What’s there not to be sure about?” Chaewon questioned, “You falling for a girl, or you being in love?”

Minju chose not to reply.

“I’m your best friend,” Chaewon breathes out, “I know when you’re confused, and when you’re scared.”

“And?” Minju probes.

Chaewon smiles at the girl who is looing at her, “You’re scared.”

“Scared of rejection, of change. Of something new.” She continues, “Because that Kang Hyewon does something to you, emotions that you just knew from books.”

A sharp intake of breath, Minju looks up and whispers, “What should I do?”

“Reject Taeyong, and slap him in the face that he is not everyone’s type.” Chaewon deadpans.

Minju laughs at her best friend, “Is the slap really necessary?”

“No,” Chaewon laughs, “Do it for me.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Good luck.” Chaewon wishes the girl, hoping that her best friend would get her mind straight and just go for what she wants. I really want to meet this Kang Hyewon.

 

///

 

“Not going to lunch?” Yujin asked, seeing that Hyewon is about to stand up.

Hyewon shakes her head as an answer, “I promised Minju that we’d meet in the library.”

The younger girl made a face hearing Hyewon’s answer, “You’re disgusting.”

Hyewon laughs at Yujin, and went out of the room followed by the younger girl.

“I’ll just tell them, go. I don’t want to see you being whipped.” Yujin jokes pushing Hyewon away.

The older girl shakes her head, “Alright, thank you!” and she walks off going to the other direction.

Walking to the library, Hyewon thinks about how she would confess to Minju. She doesn’t know where the courage came from for deciding to confess to the other girl. But their talks and everything happening between them makes her feel that she really does have a slim chance.

After all, love is all about those risks. Hyewon is no risk-taker, but when she impulsively painted Minju, she thinks that taking risks again and again for her is worth it.

So, into her thoughts, she didn’t notice that she already arrived at the library. Pushing the glass doors, she smiled at Irene who was already looking at her.

“Hi unnie. How are you?” Hyewon asks.

“I’m good, you look happy.” Irene points out, smiling at Hyewon.

“Is that bad?”

“It looks good on you,” Irene laughs, “I missed you helping me though.”

Hyewon cooed at the librarian who only glares at her, “I need some payment for my service, you know?”

“You always volunteer.” Irene shrugs.

“Touche.” Hyewon answered, “I’ll help once I’m not busy, alright?”

“Looking forward to it!” Irene beams, “She’s already there, go on.”

Hyewon blushed at the older girl’s statement and bowed, entering the main library and indeed, Minju is already sitting on her usual table. The latter looking up to look at her direction, Hyewon waves.

She then walked over to the girl and sat in front of her.

“So, what book are you reading?” Hyewon asks, looking at the book. “The Little Prince?” She read out loud.

“It’s a children’s book,” Minju smiles, “But it’s really good!” Closing the book, the latter cleared .

“You wanna eat?”

“Huh?” Hyewon asks dumbly.

“Eat lunch. Out?”

“Oh!” Hyewon then understands the girl, “I thought you have something to do.”

“Nope, come one!” Minju smiles and closes the book, grabbing her things she pulled the art student up. “I’m hungry.”

Walking out of the main library, Minju leaves the book on Irene’s desk smiling at the latter. Hyewon could only muster a bow to Irene as Minju is pulling her to go out.

 

//

 

It’s not that Hyewon is ignoring Minju, but it is also not her fault that the cake in the café is really delicious. She’s really hungry, and the fact that the café serves really amazing dishes and very mouthwatering cakes, Hyewon is just in a cloud nine.

“You must be really hungry.” Minju chuckles, watching the girl devouring her food.

“I am,” Hyewon did not even bother to deny it, “And I just love food.” She grins.

Finishing her last bite, Hyewon drank her water and looked around. She really likes the café’s ambience, she wonders how Minju knew about this café.

“How did you know this place?” Hyewon asks, “I’ve never been here before.”

“Oh,” Minju looks around, “Chaewon asked me to eat with her here one day, and I really loved the foods here.”

“Chaewon?” Hyewon asks, “The girl you’re always with?”

Minju nodded enthusiastically, “Yeah, my best friend.”

“Well then, tell her to ask me sometime.” Hyewon jokingly said, “Her food knowledge would be put into good use.”

“Kang Hyewon, are you replacing me?”

Hyewon laughs at the girl in front of her, “Maybe.” She earned a kick under the table making her grimace.

“That hurts!” She pouted.

“Good.” Minju said sticking out her tongue to Hyewon.

Maybe it was the sugar rush talking, or a spur of a moment. But Hyewon decided to just go with it.

“Wanna cut?” She blurts out.

Minju whips her head to look at Hyewon, surprised at the sudden suggestion. The art student just smiles at her and shrugs her shoulders.

“I wanna go to a beach.”

Minju blinks, looking at Hyewon. She lets out a breathy laugh.

“Weird, I wanna see a beach too.”

 

///

 

That’s how they saw themselves riding the first bus that would go to the nearest beach. Talking anything about under the sun, messaging their friends about their plan.

Hey, I won’t go to class.

  • Hyewon

Why?

  • Yujin

I’m with Minju

  • Hyewon

KANG HYEWON CUTTING FOR LOVE. THE AUDACITY

  • Yujin

Hyeowon chuckles and closed her phone, then looks at Minju who seems to be also texting Chaewon.

I’m with Hyewon, I won’t go to class.

  • Minju

Should I even ask why you’re with her?

  • Chaewon

No.

  • Minju

“All good?”

Minju turns her head to Hyewon and nodded, “All good.”

The art student then looked out of the window and smiled, seeing the view outside.

“Come on, we’re near.”

Pulling Minju out from her seat, Hyewon held her wrist dragging the girl to alight the bus. Strong wind blows towards them, the salty scent of the sea indicating that they are already in their destination. Taking a deep breath, Hyewon could not help but to smile.

“I miss this.” She whispers.

Minju stares at the genuine happiness on the girl’s face, and looked ahead. “The beach?”

“And peacefulness.”

Noticing Hyewon crouching, Minju saw the girl removing her shoes only leaving her barefoot. Raising her eyebrows, she was about to question the her when Hyewon beat her into it.

“You don’t expect to walk on the shore with shoes, right?”

Minju breathes out a laugh, shaking her head. “No, I suppose not.” And followed along on removing her shoes.

Walking on the sand, just the two of them with a comfortable silence just feels so right. Hyewon thinks about the class that she would miss, thinking that it is worth it. Spending time with Minju like this is something that should always be treasured.

“You’re wearing it.” Hyewon said, looking at Minju’s wrist where the bracelet she gave is on.

Minju follows her gaze and held up her left wrist, “Of course, I love it.”

“I love that you’re wearing it.” Bold, Hyewon. That’s bold.

Minju did not answer and just laughed. Looking ahead, and feeling the wind.

Clearing , Hyewon decided to ask the girl about something.

“Hey, you okay?” Hearing a hum, she continued, “It’s just, you keep on asking deep questions. I’m just worried that you’re not okay.” Hyewon says carefully.

Maybe it was the atmosphere, maybe she just wants someone to answer her. Or maybe it was the way how Hyewon is looking at her at that moment, curious, worried, but beneath it all is understanding.

“Is it alright to be confused?” Minju blurts out, surprising Hyewon.

“Uhh,” Hyewon was surprised by the sudden question but shakes her head. “Of course.”

“But you said last night that it’s fear that brings out the confusion.” Minju frowns.

Hyewon pursed her lips, “I did say that, didn’t I?” And she continues.

“But it’s all about the choices you make in the end.” Hyewon shrugs.

“What do you mean?”

“I said that fear brings out confusion, right?” Hyewon looks at Minju who nodded her head.

“Which means that you are afraid of something, afraid of a decision that you need to make.” She continues.

“So, now you’re confused what decision is the ‘right’ decision.” Hyewon says.

“Right, but what does that actually mean?” Minju questions.

“How do I explain this…” Hyewon scrunched her nose, thinking how to explain it to the other girl.

“Well, imagine life as a painting,” Hyewon started, “Sorry, this is the only way I could explain it.” She laughs.

“Okay,” Minju chuckles, “My life is a painting.” She said as she closed her eyes.

“Then your decisions are the color , big decisions are bigger , small ones are lighter.” Hyewon continues, looking at the girl who nodded her head.

“At some point in life, you need to make a big decision. It would make or break your painting.” Hyewon muttered, “So, what would you do?”

“But what if the other decision is a safer one?” Minju quietly asks, opening her eyes and stared at Hyewon.

The art student smiles at girl, “No artists want something safe.” She answers.

“What do they want then?” Minju whispers.

“Something that will make them feel alive.” She then added, “It’s your decision after all if it would indeed make or break your painting. Sometimes it’s all about the perspective.”

Hyewon stared back at Minju, the latter seems like sinking in what she just said. But maybe it was just the light the sun is giving, or how her hair is being swept by the wind, or maybe it was the small smile forming on her face. But whatever it is, Hyewon suddenly has an urge to confess and kiss the girl.

“Minju-ah,” Hyewon calls her, despite the girl already looking at her.

“Hmm?” Minju smiles.

“I,” She breathes in, biting her tongue. Too early.

“You look beautiful today.” She smiles.

Minju blinks at the sudden compliment, making her blush and looked down. “Thank you.” She mumbled.

“Anytime.” Hyewon smiles at the reaction, grabbing the girl. Courage seeping through her, she intertwined their hands. Not bothering to look at the girl, she started walking again.

Minju was surprised with what Hyewon did, hoping that the latter could not feel her pulse. Staring at their hands, she smiled. She then matched Hyewon’s paced, and the two girls started walking hand in hand.

Having the sea and its waves the witness of them baring each other’s soul to one another.

 


A/N

i think i'll update every other day, would that be alright? take care y'all!