CHAPTER 16

Blending In

Minju has always been into good stories since she was young, all those fairytales that her mother reads for her before she goes to sleep. How people find love in the weirdest places, circumstances. How the prince always falls in love with the girl who shows her true self.

How the princess hopes for her true love’s kiss. Until it transitioned to a much more realistic love stories, how the boy would be in love with someone popular – the most cliché trope of all, how the nerdy girl falls in love with the jock – this trope comes in second.

But all these stories have a common denominator. Prince and princesses, boys and girls. So maybe, that’s why Minju hopes to find her perfect prince and her true love’s kiss.

Until Hyewon. That art student ruined everything Minju hopes to have, Hyewon made Minju’s life different from those stories that she read. She never felt butterflies until Hyewon – heck, it was not even butterflies but a whole zoo roaring inside her.

The books never showed a story of a girl being in love with a girl, nor a boy in love with another. It was always a girl and boy, a prince and a princess.

So, this rattled Minju. How can Hyewon do this to her, Minju thought that this friendship would be great, the best even. But why is it like this? Minju does not have anything against that kind of love, it’s the 21st century. We are bound to be open-minded. But for Minju, it is just so new.

Which is why as soon as she saw Chaewon walking down the hall, she dragged the girl to an empty classroom.

“I have a problem.” She said as she walks over to lock the door.

“Okay, good morning to you too, Minju.” Chaewon said, sarcasm dripping off from her voice.

“I have a problem.” Minju repeated.

“This seems serious,” Chaewon furrowed her eyebrows, “What is it?”

“With Hyewon.” Minju whispered, not wanting anyone to hear. As if she wants it to be a secret just for herself.

“And what about her?” Chaewon asked, worried for her best friend.

“I think I like her.”

A beat.

“You think?”

“I think.”

Chaewon pursed her lips, staring at the girl in front of her looking down at the ground, unsure of herself. She already expected this, with Minju’s sudden curiosity for the art student, this is bound to happen.

She grabbed Minju’s shoulder and directed her to sit on the nearest chair, and Chaewon faced the girl.

“Can you elaborate?” Chaewon said softly then Minju looked up. Fear in her eyes, yet something new.

“The first time I saw her, I never really cared like she is just a new face.” Minju started.

“Then first became second, until it became third. Until she was always there, like a part of my routine. Like she needs to be there.” A pause. “Like I want her to be there.”

Chaewon nodded, humming “And then?”

“Then we officially met. I’m not just looking at her from afar every time in the library, but I could talk to her.” The girl could not help but to smile, “Then out of pure coincidence, we’re living in the same apartment building.”

Chaewon smiled at Minju’s face, as if the girl is reliving all the things in her mind.

“Then she tells me about herself, I tell about mine. But I could listen to her all day, like she has this depth personality that not anyone could know for a whole life time.” Minju continued, taking a deep breath.

“Like she’s full of mysteries. And I’m just there all willing to get lost in her mysteriousness, in her thoughts. Her voice.” Minju gulped, raising her head she stared at her best friend.

“And I don’t know what to do.” She whispered.

“Minju,” Chaewon called the girl, pity in her tone yet a hint of support. “I think you’re pretty sure.”

“But this shouldn’t happen!” Minju exclaimed, “It was supposed to be a guy, all those stories are about a guy and a girl. A prince and a princess.” She started to sob.

Until she couldn’t continue anymore, and Chaewon wrapped her arms around her best friend. Her best friend who is scared of this beautiful feeling.

“I’m scared.” Minju whispered, a secret for them both.

“I know.” Chaewon answered as she rubbed the girl’s back.

“I’m scared that every day when I wake up, I’m thinking about her, then before I sleep, she’s the last thought I would have. Then for the whole day, I’m always thinking about her. It’s always about her.”

“But isn’t it nice?” Chaewon trailed off, “To meet a person that would make you do the unthinkable?”

“Is it?”

Chaewon breathed out a laugh, pulling away she smiled at Minju.

“I think you know.” Chaewon smiled, “And for what it’s worth, I’ll always be your best friend.”

“Thank you.” Minju smiled and hugged Chaewon who returned it instantly.

“Go write your own story, Minju.” Chaewon said hugging the girl tightly.

 

///

 

Hyewon was trying her hardest to focus on Ms. Kang’s class, but nothing was working. She’s just staring into space, her mind full of thoughts about a certain English major. Yujin noticed this, which is why she’s been nudging the older girl from time to time.

“Hey, what’s the problem?”

“Nothing.” Hyewon shook her head, not wanting to be disturbed.

She then focused on her sketchpad in her lap, and started drawing on it. A bird, a flower that she saw when she was walking, the old woman that was buying fruits earlier that day. Until it became a familiar person.

Minju looking for frames, Minju eating in front of her, Minju laughing, Minju reading. It was like Hyewon’s in a trance. Until a hard nudge was made. Turning her head Yujin was glaring at her, who pointed at Ms. Knag, who seems to be announcing something.

“Ms. Choi has briefed you about our exhibit, right?” Ms. Kang asked.

“In addition to that, the exhibit would be held on Monday. I hope you guys are almost done with your pieces.” Ms. Kang smiled.

Hyewon blinked, then looked at her sketchpad again. Gulping she turned her head to the younger girl beside her, who is already looking at her. Worry evident in her eyes.

“Unnie, are you – “

“I’m in love.” Hyewon quietly said. Tightly closing her eyes, slamming her sketchpad shut.

Hearing the bell, Hyewon immediately stood up and quickly walked out of the classroom. Yujin followed the older girl quickly, mumbling an apology to their instructor and her classmates who were all looking at them weirdly.

“Unnie!” Yujin shouted. .

“Unnie, hey!” Yujin ran faster, grabbing the older girl by the arm. “Kang Hyewon! Stop!”

“What’s the matter?” Yujin questioned, “That’s not new, we’ve all know you’re in love the moment you decided to paint her.”

A sniff is heard. Then another. Followed by a sob.

Yujin quickly looked around and she saw a couple of students looking at them, she then quickly pulled Hyewon and directed her to walk to a secluded place. Walking up the stairs while typing a message, and turning corners until they were led to the rooftop.

“Hey, unnie,” Yujin trailed off, “Why are you crying?”

“I’m in love.” Hyewon sobbed out.

“Yes, unnie. Why are you crying about that?”

Hyewon took a deep breath and raised her head, staring at the taller girl.

“I’m in love and I’m not sure if she loves me back.”

“Oh.”

Because at that moment, it dawns to Yujin that Hyewon’s love may not be reciprocated. That it was one-sided all this time. And that scares the older girl, because Hyewon’s never been in love. She never thought she would be in love.

But right here, right now. She’s in love. And that thought scares her. The fact that she said it out loud, makes it real.

Yujin hugged the older girl tightly, who was sobbing out. “I’m scared, Yujin-ah. I’m scared.”

“I’m here unnie. We’re here.”

Yujin whispered and looked up when she heard the door being slammed open. Sakura and Yena, panting.

“We’re here.” Yujin repeated.

 

//

 

“You’re in love.” Sakura breathed out.

“She’s in love.” Yena repeated.

“I am.” Hyewon sighed, and stared right up in the sky.

“She is.” Yujin said.

The four of them still at the rooftop not planning to go to their respective classes anymore. They just decided to spend some time there, listening to all Hyewon’s worries and dilemmas.

Love is a casual topic for the four of them, it pops up of their conversation from time to time. They are open about it, especially Hyewon. She always shares her parent’s story how they fell in love with each other. Same goes with the other three.

Hyewon is very open when discussing about it, but she never thought it would be this different. The difference of talking about being in love, and actually being in love. The former all about the excitement and giddiness of the feeling. While the latter is all about the fear and yearning. The risks. The unknown.

“What should I do?” She asked the three.

The four of them laying down on the pavement, staring at the sky. It makes them calm, like there’s no problem at all. When there is.

“That’s easy.” Yujin said.

“What?”

“Just be yourself.” Yena hummed, closing her eyes.

“That’s not easy.” Hyewon replied, frowning. Not getting what they are saying.

“Kang Hyewon, I think being yourself is the easiest part.” Sakura said with a smile, “It’s hard not to fall in love with you.”

Scoffing, “Why, are you in love with me?”

“Yuck, that’s like,” Sakura made a puking sound, “Like .”

“You’re not our type.” Yujin said chuckling.

“That’s good to know.” Hyewon said, “You’re not mine either.”

“We know.” Yena said with a laugh.

“Let’s lay here for a while.” Sakura said quietly, with the other three humming as a response.

 

//

 

“So, what are your plans?” Sakura asked as the four of them walks out of the rooftop.

“Spend time with her?” Hyewon answered, unsure of what’s her plan.

“You’ve been doing that already.” Yena pointed out.

“Spend more time with her?”

“Wow unnie, you are still useless.” Yujin laughed, earning her a smack.

“How about, make some little moves?” Yena suggested.

“How?”

“I mean, we don’t personally know Minju,” Yena trailed off, “But maybe you’ll know by now what to do?”

“Show her your painting.” Yujin offered.

“That’s too personal!”

“Love is all about baring yourself to the other.” The younger girl rolled her eyes.

“Kang-chan, just confess.” Sakura deadpanned.

“What?” Hyewon choked on air.

“Confess.” The Japanese girl shrugged.

“Isn’t that too early?”

“Well, in our lesbian calendar, you’re already far behind the agenda.”

“What do you mean lesbian calendar?”

Yena groaned out, “It means that you should’ve confessed 3 days after meeting already. And according to the calendar, you should’ve moved in with each other already.”

What the . “What the .”

“But whatever floats in your boat, unnie.” Yujin smiled pulling the older girl by the shoulder, “You’re still useless.”

A hard elbow was connected her ribs.

“Ouch!”

 

///

 

Maybe Hyewon is scared, maybe her friends’ advices are half helpful and half useless. Maybe she is actually useless. So, why is she standing there in front of Minju’s apartment door holding a take out for dinner?

Contemplating, Hyewon just stares at the door biting her lip. Should I knock? Or go eat this by myself?

A beat.

Hyewon shakes her head and stepped back. Go eat this by myself.

She is about to go to the elevator when the door opened, revealing the girl.

“Hyewon!” Minju smiles, “What are you – “

“Dinner?” Hyewon cuts her off, showing the take out she’s holding. “I mean, if you’d like to. I accidentally bought 2 serv – “

“I’m hungry.” Minju said, smiling. “Come in.” Stepped back to give Hyewon enough space to enter the apartment.

The art student smiled awkwardly, entering the apartment. She looked around to see the place clean and tidy unlike before.

“Wow, you managed to fit them all.”

“I told you.” Minju said behind her.

Hyewon is still looking around until her eyes landed on one specific wall. A corkboard with pictures, similar to hers. But the thing that made her stare is the framed sketch beside it.

“Oh, I somehow stole your idea.” Minju said sheepishly, “With the corkboard.”

Hyewon laughs, “I can see that. It was Yujin’s idea anyway, so all credit goes to her.”

“You hanged my sketch.” She said quietly, walking over it. A ghostly touch over the frame.

“I told you I would.” Minju answers back, “What color do you see?”

“What?” Hyewon questions.

“The tulips.” Minju said, staring at the sketch. “What color do you see now?”

Hyewon turned and looks at the sketch again, “Orange.”

“And what does that mean?”

Truest love. “Appreciation.” The art student said instead, “So, dinner?”

“Right, dinner.” Minju said, grabbing the plastics from Hyewon and setting up the table.

 

//

 

“So, how was your day?” Hyewon asks, already finished eating their dinner and currently watching a show with Minju.

“Eventful.” The girl answered, “Yours?”

“Eye-opening.” Hyewon chuckled.

“Oh, really?” Minju said, turning her head, “How so?”

“Words are not my thing,” Hyewon trailed off, “I can’t really explain.”

Minju hummed, “Must be a huge thing if you can’t explain it.”

“How was your eventful day?”

“Scary.” Minju did not hesitate to answer.

“Oh, mind sharing?” Hyewon asks carefully, not wanting to cross some boundaries between them.

“I don’t know. I just feel stupid.”

“You’re not stupid.” Hyewon quickly said, frowning. “What is it?”

Now, Minju hesitates. Staring at the girl in front of her, she’s not sure if she should tell her. But the look that Hyewon’s giving her makes her feel safe. Like she would understand.

“Do you just feel like,” Minju started turning her head away from the girl, “You know everything and then in a blink of an eye, you suddenly don’t?”

Hyewon pondered the question, “Maybe,” She quietly answered.

“Is it scary?” Minju asked, as quietly as she can.

I’m scared. Hyewon remembered her breakdown earlier from her sudden epiphany. The realization that she’s in love with the girl beside her. Is it scary?

“Of course,” Hyewon answered with a smile, “But isn’t it exhilarating?”

Minju looks at the art student beside her, “What do you mean?”

“It’s just like art,” Hyewon explained glancing at Minju, “A painting is right there, then a person thinks they know the meaning behind it. Until another one comes and says what they see. Only to realize that they have different interpretations.”

Hyewon shrugged, “It’s just amazing how one thing gives off different meanings to others. And it’s exciting to know how other perceives it, because it’s like you see a part of themselves.”

Minju just stared at her, no answer. And Hyewon started to feel awkward with the sudden heavy atmosphere, she turned to look at Minju.

“Yeah,” Minju whispered, “It is.”

Clearing , “Why are we suddenly having deep talks?” Hyewon joked, “It’s not even 3 AM, yet.”

Minju laughed at this, “So, we’re allowed to have deep talks only when it’s 3 AM?”

“Yeah,” Hyewon nodded, “If I’m still awake by that time.”

“Well then, I look forward to those talks.” Minju smiled and bumped their shoulders together. Somehow, it feels right. To have this kind of moments with each other, despite being scared.

“Oh,” Hyewon said, “I have something for you.”

Minju looks at her confusedly, while Hyewon pulled something out of her pocket. Make some little moves.

“Here,” Hyewon smiled, handing over the bracelet she got from the vintage store. “I got it from the store where you bought the frame.” She explained.

“Hyewon, you didn’t have to.” Minju said, holding the bracelet, “This is beautiful.”

“I got it for free,” Hyewon shrugged, “So yeah, another welcome gift. I guess?”

“For free?” Minju questioned, “How?”

Hyewon smirked, “I’m just charming like that.”

“Yeah, sure.” Minju rolled her eyes, “Are you sure?”

“What?”

“That you’re giving me this?” Minju asks, “You know, this being free and all.”

“I would’ve bought it for you.” Hyewon blurts out, with eyes wide she continued, “You know, for a welcome gift and all.” She chuckles awkwardly.

“Right,” Minju clears , “Mind helping me put it on?”

“Oh, sure,” Hyewon said, scooting closer to the girl. Putting the bracelet on her left wrist, “There, it looks perfect on you.”

“You think so?” Minju whispers, looking at Hyewon’s face who is sitting close to her.

The latter looks up and smiles, “I know so.”

And just like that, their moment abruptly ended with a chime from one of their phones. Making them jump away from each other, only to see Minju’s phone receiving a new message. Right after it, a call.

Taeyong calling…

Seeing the caller ID, Hyewon frowned and stood up. She cleared and grabbed her phone to look at the time.

“I think I should go now,” She said, “Thanks for having me.”

Minju nodded and stands up, ignoring the call. “No, thank you for the dinner.” She smiled.

Hyewon just nodded and the two was left staring at each other. Until Minju’s phone started ringing again, Hyewon frowned to herself.

“I think I better go,” She said quietly, walking away. “Don’t forget to lock the door. Good night Minju.”

Not waiting for a reply, she walked out of the apartment leaving a standing Minju in the living room. The latter frowning and glaring at her phone. Picking it up, she harshly swiped to reject the call. What a .