CHAPTER 15

Blending In

After yesterday’s date, should Hyewon even call it a date? After yesterday’s hang out, which was really good not until that Taeyong showed up. It left a bitter taste in , and a heavy feeling in .

She felt guilty leaving Minju at the elevator, but honestly it was not even her business. Minju’s suitors should not concern her, but why is she feeling like this? I hate that face. Taeyong. Annoying.

Just remembering what happened yesterday, Hyewon groaned on her bed. She does not feel like going to class that day. But she decided to force herself to prepare, knowing her friends would shower her with questions if she didn’t show up.

Hyewon dragged herself up from her bed and to her bathroom to take a shower. Going to her room to look for clothes, she opted for dark colors that day. What a somber day. Then she noticed the painting she did.

Walking over it, she grabbed the canvas and turned it around to face her. Staring at her work, she thought what Minju is doing right now. After leaving the girl, rather abruptly at the elevator. Now I feel guilty.

Putting it back on the easel and covering it with a cloth, she grabbed her things and went out of her room. Not bothering to take any light breakfast, she went straight out of her apartment and walked to the university.

Hyewon is so into her own world that she didn’t notice someone at the entrance of the apartment building who seems like waiting for her. Walking past the person, Hyewon was about to turn the corner when she felt someone pulling her back.

“Wha – “

“Hey.” Minju hesitantly said, “Good morning.”

Hyewon stared at the girl, she did not expect to see the English major this early in the morning. So, would this be happening from now on?

Even though she wanted to run over to her class, Minju is holding her wrist preventing her to do so. “Morning.” She decided on a short reply.

“Let’s walk together?” Minju asked, and Hyewon could not possibly reject her. Not when the girl is looking at her with those eyes.

She exhaled and nodded her head. Turning her body as she walked ahead. What do we talk about now?

Hyewon could feel that Minju is walking a few steps behind her, the art student could not help but to feel guilty. But she just seriously doesn’t know what to say, thousands of questions flooding her mind. Yet not a single word comes out.

“About yesterday,” Hyewon heard, and she winced just remembering the events. “Hm?” Hyewon hummed, trying to act nonchalantly.

“I just want to thank you.”

That made Hyewon stop. Thank me? “What?”

“For doing what you did.” Minju said quietly, and Hyewon would not have heard it if she’s not hyperaware of everything about the girl.

“Oh, that was nothing. Welcome, I guess.” Hyewon just shrugged, wanting to drop the subject. But Minju thinks otherwise.

“It’s a big thing,” Minju insisted, “Taeyong, is just really annoying.”

Hyewon could not help but to scoff, “That’s one way to put it.”

“I’ve rejected him, you know.”

Hyewon glanced at the girl, who was already walking beside her looking down. “Okay,” Hyewon nodded.

“I mean, you could do so much better.” She added.

“But he just couldn’t get what a ‘no’ means.” Minju said, exasperatedly.

“ to be an idiot.” Hyewon rolled her eyes, getting annoyed by the second they started to talk about the guy.

“Are we okay?” Minju suddenly asked.

Hyewon choked on air, snapping her neck to look at the girl who was already looking at her.

“Why won’t we be?” Hyewon questioned, frowning.

“It’s just that,” Minju trailed off, “It seems like we’re not.”

“What?”

“It seems like we’re not okay.” Minju repeated, in a tiny voice.

Hyewon gulped, she did not know that they would talk about this. Why won’t they be okay? Hyewon does not have anything to do with Taeyong and Minju’s relationship. Or anything about the two. She tried to hide her, jealousy? She doesn’t even know what to call it.

“We’re okay.” Hyewon said, blank look on her face. But Minju did not say anything.

Hoping to ease the tension, Hyewon decided to do something out of her nature. She ruffled Minju’s hair. Oh, wow her hair is soft as it looks.

“We’re okay, Minju-ah.” Hyewon said softly and smiled. “Don’t worry.”

Maybe it was just her imagination, did Minju just blush? But shaking her head, she realized that they already arrived at the university. Sighing, she stepped back from the girl.

“I need to go to class now.” She announced. Minju looked at her and had a tiny smile on her face, that Hyewon could not help but to return back.

“Take care.” Minju said to her.

“I’ll see you later, okay?” Hyewon said, making Minju confused.

“At the library,” She clarified, “Let’s walk home together.”

This made Minju let out a wide smile, feeling her heart lighter she nodded. “Looking forward to it!”

Hyewon nodded and waved back, turning around to walk to her class. I’m whipped.

 

///

 

“You’re in love.” Yujin deadpanned.

“Love is a strong word.”

“Whipped is another term, but sure.” Yujin rolled her eyes.

Hyewon groaned, she just told the younger girl about what happened during the weekend. She did not leave the fact that a certain Taeyong showed up. Making Yujin curious about the guy, but that curiosity was quickly overpowered by teasing.

“But unnie, congratulations for not being useless.” Yujin said patting her shoulder.

“I am not useless!” Hyewon exclaimed.

“Yes, you’re in love.” Yujin teased back.

“You’re no help.”

“And you’re jealous.”

Hyewon was about to retort back when Ms. Choi entered the room. The both of them immediately sat up, but not without Hyewon nudging the younger girl who returned it with a kick.

“Everyone, I hope you’re doing your project by now.” Ms. Choi said reminding everyone of the project.

“The exhibit would be held on the main hall, and all your pieces would be there.”

All of the students were listening intently to the criteria of the project, and to Ms. Choi’s announcement. Yujin and Hyewon were doing the same, while asking each other about their progress.

“How’s yours?” Hyewon whispered.

“Almost done.” Yujin answered, “Yours?”

Hyewon smiled at the girl, earning a wide-eyed look from Yujin.

“, you’re done!” She whispered excitedly, “Can I see?”

“Nope.”

Yujin was about to whine when they heard Ms. Choi’s voice.

“The exhibit would be help one week from now,” Ms. Choi said, “But there’s a catch to it.”

This made the two quiet, curious glances were thrown around the class.

“Your pieces would be anonymous,” Ms. Choi explained, “Just a title, description about it and no name.” She beamed.

 

///

 

Maybe the exhibit’s theme is in Hyewon’s favor, with the fact that the piece would be put anonymously. She’s walking with Yujin to the cafeteria, talking about their exhibit. The younger girl getting too excited about her project.

“Seriously unnie, you’re going to cry when you see my work.”

“And if I don’t?” Hyewon teased.

“Then I’ll make you cry.” Yujin said with an innocent smile.

Arriving at the cafeteria, they went straight to their two friends who were already eating. Hyewon was about to put her bag down when Yujin announced that she would get her lunch. Which was weird of the girl, but Hyewon just let her.

Sitting down, Hyewon checked the timed when she suddenly received a message. From Minju?

Hey

  • Minju

Confused at the sudden message, Hyewon typed a short reply.

Bored?

  • Hyewon

Absolutely.

  • Minju

What you doing?

  • Minju

Eating lunch

  • Hyewon

You hate texting?

  • Minju

No whslsacs

  • Hyewon

Hyewon was surprised by someone grabbing her phone, only to see Sakura smirking at her. The Japanese girl reading the contents of her phone. Hyewon quickly grabbed the phone from Sakura to hide it.

“Hey! What was that for?”

“Sorry for interrupting your sweet time,” Saura teased, “But we were calling you for like 5 times already.”

Rolling her eyes Hyeown gestured for them to wait and typed a proper reply.

Sorry, Kura-unnie grabbed my phone. I need to entertain them now. I’ll see you later!

  • Hyewon

Pocketing her phone, Hyewon looked at her two friends smiling at her. She just knows that smile, she should have known already. Ahn Yujin you’re dead.

“Heard from someone that someone’s in love.” Sakura said in a sing-song voice.

“And jealous.” Yena added, smirking at Hyewon.

“Don’t you guys have anything better to do?” Hyewon grumbled.

“This is the best thing to do.” Yena shrugged earning an affirming nod from Sakura.

“Now, spill.”

Knowing her friends, Hyewon just retold her story. Starting from the moving in that happened on Saturday up to the time when Taeyong showed up. But of course, Sakura and Yena earned a smack every time they interrupt her or .

Then when Yujin arrived, the younger girl was smiling as if she did nothing wrong. Earning her a kick from under the table.

“Taeyong?” Sakura questioned, “As in Lee Taeyong?”

Hyewon shrugged her shoulders, not knowing the guy’s full name, “I just heard Taeyong.”

“Like white hair idiot annoying guy Taeyong?”

Sakura’s explanation is so on point that Hyewon could not help but nod her head quickly. “Extremely annoying idiot guy Taeyong.”

“Oh, he’s from my department,” Sakura grimaced, “And he’s annoying.”

“You know him, unnie?” Yujin asked the Japanese girl.

“Unfortunately,” Sakura sighed, “Yena knows him too.”

Yena just made a face, “He was a business major before but he shifted. Don’t know why though.”

Hyewon nodded, quietly eating her lunch. The three girls looked at her who seems not to be in the mood to talk about the guy.

“He won’t take no though,” Sakura said, “Unless you really slap him.”

“Let’s just hope Minju slaps him.” Yena muttered.

“I doubt it,” Hyewon said quietly, “She’s too kind to do that.”

“Then I’ll slap him for you, unnie.” Yujin smiled at Hyewon. This made the latter grin, sometimes having friends like them are a blessing.

“Please do so.”

 

///

 

“How’s the new apartment?” Chaewon asked as soon as Minju sat down.

Minju smiled at the girl, “It’s nice so far.”

The other girl hummed, “Did Hyewon help you?”

Hearing the question, Minju started to tell her best friend what happened on Saturday. How helpful Hyewon was, and how nice her company is. She then told the girl that Hyewon gave her a sketch.

“She gave me a welcome gift!” Minju exclaimed, “It’s a sketch of tulips! It’s so amazing!”

Chaewon just stared at the gushing girl beside her, not wanting to interrupt her friend. She’s really dense.

“And? Anything happened after that?” She decided to ask.

Minju then suddenly stop, remembering what happened on Sunday. The annoying face Taeyong popping in her mind.

“Right, I saw Taeyong yesterday,” Minju rolled her eyes, “While I was out with Hyewon.”

That piqued Chaewon’s interest, “Mind to enlighten me?” She raised her eyebrows.

Minju relayed her story to her best friend, starting from the morning where she wanted to buy a frame for the sketch that Hyewon gave her. To the time where they almost spent the whole day looking for the perfect frame.

“It’s just a frame.” Chae interrupted her.

“It’s not just a sketch!” Minju said, “But anyways – “ Minju continued her story.

“And then Taeyong showed up. He even insisted to carry the frame that I bought when I told him no. But Hyewon scared him off!” Minju said happily.

“Hyewon just walked to him and grabbed the frame, scaring him off. Then pulled away.” MInju then pouted. “But the atmosphere was heavy when we reached the elevator.”

“Really, what do you mean by heavy?” Chaewon said, entertained by her best friend’s story and naivety.

“Like something’s not right,” Minju sighed, “So, I waited her in front of the apartment to explain myself.”

“Why do you need to explain yourself?”

“I don’t know,” Minju trailed off, “I just felt that I need to clarify things with Taeyong so she won’t misunderstand.”

“Interesting.” Chaewon muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing, instructor’s here.” Chaewon shrugged sitting properly.

Minju turned to see that indeed the instructor’s already there, glancing at her best friend beside her she decided to just ignore what she just said and focus on the lesson.

“You should really do something about Taeyong, though.” Chaewon whispered.

“I know.” Minju whispered back.

 

///

 

Sometimes Hyewon forgets her life before she met Minju, how she always goes straight back to her apartment and do nothing. Sketch anything she wants to sketch, miss the way she would paint sometimes. Sometimes Hyewon thinks about what she would be doing when she hadn’t met Minju?

Would she walking to the library just like now, or would she go out and be with her lonely at her apartment imagining life in the future?

But most of the times, she’s thankful. Minju somehow made her life a little bit livelier that before. In a sense, she made Hyewon’s life a little bit more exciting. Not exciting like those rollercoaster rides, but it’s much more paced, relaxing kind of exciting.

She doesn’t even know what she’s thinking right now, but it just feels right walking to the library to see Minju.

As soon as she enters, she waves to Irene who smiled at her and Hyewon entered the main library. There in her table, clarification – in Hyewon’s usual table, sat Minju. The latter not doing anything, she’s not reading which is new.

Hyewon smiled and approached the girl, tapping her shoulder.

“Hey,” Hyewon greeted, “Not doing anything?”

Minju turned to her and smiled, “No, I don’t have anything to read.”

“How about you?” Minju asked, “Won’t you sketch?”

Hyewon paused for a second, would she sketch? Right now, with Minju beside her? What would she sketch if ever? With that, she shook her head.

“No, I don’t feel like sketching.” Hyewon smiled, “I feel like painting right now.” Painting you.

“Too bad you can’t paint here.” Minju joked.

“Too bad.” Hyewon repeated smiling, “Want to go to some craft store?” She decided to ask the girl.

“Craft Store? Why?”

“I just feel like buying some new supplies.” Hyewon smiled, grabbing her bag she pulled the girl up.

“Come on, don’t just sit there!”

“Alright alright, the store won’t go anywhere!” Minju laughed and let herself be dragged by Hyewon.

 

//

 

Maybe Hyewon was just being spontaneous that time when she dragged Minju to go a craft store, maybe she’s just doing what she wants. But she’s sure that she wants to spend time with Minju.

“So, what are you going to paint?” Minju asked.

Hyewon looked at the girl then to the bag she was holding, full of paints and what not. She just hummed, opting not to answer.

“Will you show me, someday?” Minju stared at Hyewon waiting for answer.

The latter staring back at her and smiled, “Someday.”

 

///

 

Arriving at her own apartment, Hyewon decided to just cook some instant ramen. Putting the noodles on the pot, she let them cook as she changed her clothes. Pulling out the newly bought paint and canvas, she put it inside her room near the easel.

A few minutes passed and the instant ramen was ready. She went straight to her room, planning to eat there. Slurping sounds were heard inside the room, until a chime for her phone interrupted her.

Thank you for letting me join you,

  • Minju

Hyewon smiled and typed a reply.

Thank you for coming.

  • Hyewon

Pursing her lips, she stared at the canvas just like before. Finishing her ramen quickly, she went out to wash the dishes. Tying her hair, she went straight to the easel and changed the painted canvas into a blank one.

Grabbing a brush and opening different paints, Hyewon started to do her thing. Painting what she wants to paint, using colors that she sees and reflect her emotions. Soft and hard , light and dark colors. But one thing is for sure, she’s painting another portrait of Minju.

Sometimes she thinks if this is great, having a muse and all that. This would mean that she would always have an inspiration, but what if it was suddenly all gone? What would happen to her then?

Hyewon just hopes that would not happen any soon, because this feeling is something that she would love to have as long as she breathes. This feeling of love. Of feeling in love.