CHAPTER 9

Blending In

Hyewon was up way before her alarm could go off. The art student is just sitting on her bed staring at the canvas that she painted black the night before. She’s thinking of ways how to properly execute her piece but nothing just comes into her mind.

Standing up, she walked out of her room and went to prepare her coffee since she feels like she would need extra caffeine for the day. Putting it in her favorite flask, she set it on the table and proceeded to go to the bathroom.

Hyewon decided to take a slow shower wanting to relax for a little and think properly, the adrenaline from yesterday putting a toll on her. Damn, what should I do now?

Turning off the shower, she quickly went to her room and put on some clothes, her usual attire. Which consists of a plain shirt and jeans. Grabbing her bag from her table she walks out of her but not without glancing on her canvas.

She quickly grabbed her coffee and walked out of her apartment and apartment building. Hyewon is walking to her campus quietly, hoping a little bit that a certain English student would come out of nowhere just like before.

Absurd. Gosh, I really have it bad. Shaking her head, she quickened her steps until she reached her destination. Pulling out her phone, she realized that she’s too early for her classes. She decided to send Yujin a message

Text me if you’ve arrived.

  • Kwangbae

Wow, you’re early for the first time?

  • Yujinnie

Rolling her eyes at the reply, Hyewon pocketed her phone. She then starts walking as she slowly drinks her coffee, thankful that there are not many students during that time. Hyewon was looking for a perfect spot to relax, thankful for the campus to invest an open are where trees are present.

It gives a relaxing vibe, especially to students who are stressed like her. She then saw a huge tree at a corner, deeming it the perfect spot for her she quickly walked over it.

Since not much people pass or walk over there, Hyewon did not hesitate to relax. Sitting on the ground, as she gently puts her bag beside her. As the huge tree gives her enough shade to shield her from the sun she leans on the trunk.

Hyewon then pulled out her earphone to listen to some music as she let time pass. Yujin always find it weird that she listens to classical music, but Hyewon got used to it because of her father.

With her coffee almost finished, Hyewon closed her eyes to feel Debussy’s piece. Clair de Lune. This piece is her favorite despite of the sad vibes it gives. Hyewon is no music student so she’s not judging it, she just listens to it to relax.

But instead of being relaxed and her mind being empty, it keeps on going to her muse. Every interaction with Minju replaying like a broken record. She’s inside her own bubble until she heard her phone chime, making the music pause for a second.

She quickly checks it expecting for Yujin but was surprised to see Minju’s contact.

What are you doing there?

  • Minju

Looking around, Hyewon was confused on what the girl is talking about or if she’s near her pace. Not seeing a sign of the girl’s figure, she decided to reply.

Where?

  • Hyewon

Almost instantly, she received another reply.

Under the tree.

  • Minju

Hyewon gulped the last remaining coffee in her flask and closed it. She is sure that Minju is nowhere in sight.

Should I be creeped out?

  • Hyewon

I could see you from our room.

  • Minju

As if that would ease my mind. The art student thought to herself, and another message was received.

4 o’clock

  • Minju

Understanding the term, Hyewon turned her head to the direction and there was indeed an occupied room in one building near her spot. Staring at the room, she noticed a window that overlooks the open are and she could see Minju looking outside. She smiled and decided to reply.

I should be creeped out.

  • Hyewon

Hyewon then turned to see that Minju giggled at her reply, making her heart flutter. Looking at her own phone, three dots pooping indication that the English student is typing a reply.

I think you should go to class.

  • Minju

Before she could even type a reply, she was tacked by a huge person on the ground making her grunt. She realized that it was her best friend, Yujin. Hyewon is grateful that she already finished her coffee, or else Yujin would really get it.

“Unnie!” Yujin smiled, “I missed you!” She exclaimed trying to kiss the older girl, who was trying to push her face away.

“Get off me!” Hyewon groaned, but Yujin just laughed and hugged the girl tighter.

“Who were you texting?” Yujin said trying to get the older girl’s phone. In which the latter quickly hide.

“No one.”

“Don’t lie.”

“Shut – “ Hyewon cut off by a loud bell, she quickly looked at the time and realized that they would be late if they don’t get their asses up. Yujin realized this also, making the both of them to scramble to their feet and the older girl quickly grabbed her things.

“This is your fault!” She said smacking the younger girl.

“You love my hugs!” Yujin retorted back.

“And we’re about to be late!” Hyewon exclaimed, dragging the younger girl to run over to their class.

Forgetting to reply to Minju’s message.

The latter saw the interaction of the two from their classroom, and she could only watch amusedly. She thought Hyewon was a timid and quiet girl. But seeing her interact with her friends, she needs to get to know the girl well.

“Ms. Kim, is there something interesting outside?” Minju heard the instructor calling her attention.

Looking in front she shook her head, “I thought there was a bug. Sorry.”

The instructor just nodded his head and continued on with the discussion, then Minju felt a nudge on her side. She turned to look at Chaewon.

“Taeyong has been calling me since yesterday.” The girl whispered.

“And, so?” Minju whispered back.

Rolling her eyes, Chaewon answered “Reject him, it’s getting annoying.”

“I already did that.”

“Well, then slap him” Chaewon deadpanned.

Minju could not help but to laugh quietly at the annoyed reply of her best friend, “You know I can’t do that.”

“You’re too kind for your own good.” Chaewon rolled her eyes, “How are you going to move by the way?”

“Don’t worry,” Minju smiled, “I already have someone to help me.”

“Right, that Kang Hyewon?”

“Yeah.” Minju smiled and nodded.

Chaewon was about to reply when they heard their instructor cleared his throat. Rolling their eyes, Chaewon felt her phone vibrate only to see Taeyong callig. She nudged Minju again and shower her phone to the girl.

Looking at the phone, Minju rolled her eyes at the caller’s ID and without second thoughts she rejected the call. Can’t he take no as an answer?

 

///

 

Hyewon was sweating, staring at the paper on her desk. She glanced to the younger girl beside her who is obviously having it much worse than her. Hyewon quickly check the clock to see that she still has 20 minutes left.

Gulping, she quickly solved the given problems, because why would an art student be required to get a general math subject. Every one was obviously having a hard time, with their bodies hunched over their desk. Some students seem like they are even praying for a miracle for this test

The test that they did not have any idea about, which the said instructor surprised them with. Telling them that he announced it during the previous meeting. I hope your food would taste like .

Concentrating hard, Hyewon was solving anything that she remembers from her notes that she quickly skimmed through with the given 10-minute review, and the discussions they had in the past. She knows she’s going to flop this test; she’s just going to flop her instructor during the evaluation. , you thought.

Boxing her final answer, she heard the alarm and series of papers were heard and gasps following. Excessive scribblings were happening, quiet ‘wait’s and curses are heard.

“Pass your papers.”

Hyewon quickly passed hers, followed by Yujin. They then quickly gathered their things and went out like the other students.

“ him!” Yujin cursed, not caring if they are still near the room.

“I know.” Hyewon groaned, “Did you even know about the test?”

“Unnie, do I look like I know anything?” Yujin bluntly asked.

“Point taken.” Hyewon nodded earning a smack from the younger girl. “How did you think you do?”

“I’m thankful that I took up art.” Yujin answered instead.

This made the older girl laugh out loud, “Same.” Seeing the time, she asked, “Lunch?”

“Perfect.” Yujin answered with a smile and pulled the older girl to the cafeteria.

 

///

 

“Guys, the food won’t disappear.” Sakura said as she stared at the two art students gobbling food as if it’s their last meal.

“You guys look wrecked.” Yena pointed out.

Yujin stopped eating and chewed her food. “Our instructor had a surprise test.”

“Oh.”

“Subject?”

“Maths.” Yujin and Hyewon answered together.

Nodding their head in understanding, “Damn, come on eat up.” Sakura encouraged after hearing the reason.

“Won’t you go to the library Hyewon?” Yena asked the girl who was still busy eating.

The art student choked on her food, making the Japanese girl beside her to pass some water.

“Right, I forgot about that.” Hyewon sighed.

“Why don’t you just skip for this time?” Sakura suggested, “Seems like you need it.”

“But – “

“You’re going to be an idiot anyways.” Yujin shrugged making Yena and Sakura laugh while Hyewon kicked her under the table.

The latter contemplated but remembering her test earlier, perhaps her friends are right. She’s going to be a stuttering mess if ever she sees Minju in this state of hers.

 

//

 

“,” Hyewon cursed, “Why did we eat that amount of food?”

“I don’t know,” Yujin yawned, “But I’m not regretting it.”

“it’s making me sleepy.”

“Then we shall sleep.”

“I’d rather not.” Hyewon yawned, slapping herself in the process. “Mr. Lee would kill us.”

“Suit yourself.” Yujin answered and prepared her bag to sleep on it like usual. “Just wake me up when he notices me.”

Hyewon rolled her eyes at the younger girl who was already close to sleeping. She hopes she has the guts to sleep peacefully like her best friend. Unfortunately, this class is not a practical class where they would just paint or sketch.

This class is much more like their history class, albeit a bit better. But the instructor was such an , though he is good at teaching. Still an though.

Hyewon was staring at her desk when she heard the instructor arriving. She yawned quietly and pulled out her notes and pen, willing herself to stay awake all throughout the class.

 

///

 

Finishing their class, hyewon looked at her notes grimacing with her handwriting. In her defense, she was trying her best to stay awake which is why her notes are not much that organized.

The older girl then nudged Yujin to wake up with the latter stretching slightly.

“Nice sleep?” Hyewon asked.

“Best sleep ever.” Yujin grinned.

The both of them standing up with their things, they exited the room nodding their heads to the familiar faces of their classmates.

“Library?” Yujin asked the older girl.

Hyewon nodded at the question, “Yeah.”

“Will you come?”

Scoffing Yujin shook her head, “No, unlike you I’m not a stalker.”

This earned Yujin a hard smack on her back despite the pain, she was still laughing out loud running away from the older girl.

“Goodluck unnie! I gotta bounce!” Yujin waved as she ran away.

The older girl can only roll her eyes at the retreating figure of her best friend, she yawned to herself as she walks to the direction of the library. She entered the library nodding her head to Irene who stared at her weirdly.

“Hey, unnie,” Hyewon smiled, “Slow day?”

“You need sleep.” Irene deadpanned, ignoring the question and instead pointing the obvious.

Hyewon knows that she looks like a zombie at the moment, but she just shook her head to the librarian. “I can manage.”

“Don’t sort those out.” Irene glared at the art student who seems to be planning to get the books on her desk. “You co go inside, I can do that.”

“But unn – “

“Inside, now.”

Hyewon pouted which was a rare sight for Irene which made her smile, but she quickly hid it and raised her eyebrows waiting for the younger girl to move. Having no place to argue, Hyewon complied. Walking inside the library she took her usual spot not bothering to scan the place like before.

She was about to pull out her sketchpad when a yawned escaped her lips again. Hyewon groaned and put her bag on the table instead. She decided to take a nap first, regretting all the food that she ate earlier during lunch.

Maybe I should have drank another coffee.

With that last thought, Hyewon could not but to surrender to the sleep she’s been fighting on since earlier.

 

//

 

Hyewon heard rustling papers beside her, she switched her position until she realized that she is not in her bed. Opening her eyes, she quickly sat up and looked around only to remember that she’s in the library. There are not much people.

She then turned to her left only to see Minju looking at her with an amused smile.

“Good sleep?”

Hyewon just stared at the girl, surprise evident on her face.

“Seems like it.” Minju nodded and looked at the book and notes in front of her.

Finding the ability to speak again, Hyewon cleared . “What are you doing here?”

“Studying?” Minju said, as if it was obvious. “I mean this is the library.”

“Right, right.” Hyewon nodded and mumbled, “Sorry.”

She pulled out her phone from her pocket only to see it was about 4:30. Holy I slept for 2 hours.

“Will you go somewhere?” Minju asked the girl who looked at her and shook her head in response.

“Will you sketch?” Minju asked another question.

“What?”

“I mean, when I see you here you were always sketching.” Minju explained to Hyewon.

“Oh, right.” Hyewon nodded and looked at her bag. she gulped. Should I sketch? With her here?

“I’m curious you know.” That made the art student look at the girl beside her.

“Of what?”

“Of your sketches.”

Oh, please don’t. Hyewon smiled, “They’re nothing.”

“I doubt it,” Minju pursed her lips and looked at the girl, who is slowly feeling her blush. “You always have this intense look when you sketch.”

“What look?” Am I just having a decent conversation with Minju?

“Just like,” Minju closed her eyes trying to find the right words. “You look like everything you do is a masterpiece? I mean, I can’t find the right words.”

“Oh, that’s great? I mean I love what I do.” Hyewon explained and chuckled. , do I look like that when I sketch her?

“Can I see some?”

What? “What?”

“Your sketches.”

“Oh,” Hyewon stuttered looking worriedly at her bag, “I don’t kno – “

“It’s fine!” Minju cut her off. “I mean we just met and all.”

“No, it’s just – “ Hyewon tried to explain, not wanting to let the girl think that she does not want to. Especially after seeing a hint of disappointment on the girl’s face, or is that just her imagination? But Hyewon is just hiding the fact that she’s been the subject of her sketches since then.

“I’m not just confident with my sketches.” It’s not a lie though.

“Oh, it’s alri – “

“Next time, when I’m confident enough?” Hyewon cut her off, smiling at the girl.

Minju smile and nodded, she then turned to see the time. Sighing, she closed her book and stood up.

“I need to go now.”

“Oh, I’ll come with you.”

Hearing that, the English student could not help but to smile and gestured for Hyewon to wait. She quickly put the book in its proper place and walked over to the girl. She smiled at the sight of Hyewon who was awkwardly looking around.

Minju then grabbed her things and started to walked which was followed by the art student.

“Going home together?” They heard someone asked.

Both of them turned around to see Irene looking at them with a hint of a smile.

“Uh, yeah.” Hyewon nodded her head to the librarian.

“That’s great,” Irene smiled and stared directly at Hyewon, “You get some proper sleep, you hear me?” She pointed a finger to the art student.

Hyewon chuckled and nodded, “Yes, unnie. Take care!”

Hyewon then turned to Minju who was looking at them and gestured the girl to walk first. Their walk was a quiet one. Oddly quiet, that Hyewon could not help but to feel awkward. Until Minju decided to break it.

“You’re close with Irene-unnie?”

Surprised with the sudden topic, Hyewon nodded her head slowly. “Y-yeah, you could say that.”

“That’s nice,” Minju smiles slightly, “She doesn’t really talk with anyone.”

“Oh, really?” Hyewon wondered out loud, “I mean she was pretty nice to me.”

“That’s great.”

And it was silent again. Hyewon is definitely feeling awkward.

“We’re here.” Minju said, and indeed they already arrived at the girl’s apartment building.

“I’m going up now, bye.” Minju nodded and started to walk away.

Hyewon is feeling uncomfortable with the farewell, which may be why she called the girl again.

“Minju!” Hyewon shouted, “Tomorrow, text me alright?” Hyewon asked, which the girl answered with just a nod.

Not feeling satisfied, Hyewon talked again. “I’m going to give you a welcome gift!” Successfully, she made the girl smile, which somehow made her heart feel lighter.

“Looking forward to it!” Minju beamed, “I’m going now!”

Hyewon waved as Minju waves back, entering the building. Hyewon stared at Minju’s figure and smiled to herself. She quickly walks to her own apartment building, ready to look for a perfect welcome gift for the girl.