CHAPTER 10

Blending In

Hyewon woke up with her alarm, looking at it she turned it off and saw that it’s 8 in the morning. She stretched herself and heard her phone chime. She checked the message and sees that it’s Minju.

Are you up?

  • Minju

Hyewon smiled and sat up.

Up and ready to move!

  • Hyewon

Great! The van is going to be here to transfer the boxes around 9ish

  • Minju

Noted! Take care!

  • Hyewon

Thank you, you too!

  • Minju

Hyewon felt herself energized, she got up from her bed and quickly took a shower. She decided to have a light breakfast with a simple sandwich and some coffee. Making it, she saw the papers scattered around her apartment again.

After she went home last night, she immediately rummaged her boxes to see what gift she should give to Minju. She thought of just buying something but it just does not sit well with Hyewon, which is why she pulled out the boxes where her sketches are kept.

Hours of looking the perfect sketch, she found the perfect one. One of her first sketches when she was young, she remembered why she decided to sketch a tulip. She was walking with her mother when she noticed that certain flower.

Being the curious bean, she was, she asked her mother to buy it for her. A soon as she went home, she went straight to her holding the floor. She stared at the flower for hours before she decided to sketch it, until her imagination made its wonders. Being a child has its perks.

The finish product now staring at her, the tulip that her mother bought for her that day but she added a hand to it. As if it was picking the petals of the flower, but the tulip’s petals are merging with the hand. As if the hand is becoming one with it.

Hyewon stared at the sketch and smiled. She knew it would be perfect. Unfortunately, she doesn’t have any frame where she can put the sketch. Maybe I’ll just buy her one.

Finishing her breakfast, she stood up and washed the dishes. She immediately cleaned up the scattered papers organizing it. She could not help but to critic her work before, hoping that she has better technique than she was young. Finishing up the last box, she heard her phone chime.

Already here.

  • Minju

Hyewon looked to see the time and read that it was already 9:45. Wow, time went by so fast.

Okay, just a second.

  • Hyewon

Hyewon quickly tied up her hair expecting that she would sweat out for today with all the moving. She quickly went down using the elevator and indeed Minju was already there with her boxes.

“Hey,” Hyewon greeted, “Did you live in a mansion?”

Because the amount of stuff that the girl has is unbelievable. She looked at the boxes thinking how it would fit in the apartment knowing the limited space it has. The space was decent enough, but Minju just has so many things.

“Trust me, I could fit that all.” Minju said smugly.

“I doubt it.”

“You wanna bet?”

“No, I at those.” Hyewon rejected the idea.

“Sad, I love bets.” Minju smiled at the girl. “Come on?”

“Right back at you.”

 

///

“Tell me that’s the last box.” Hyewon huffed out.

“That’s the last box.”

“Thank you!” Hyewon exclaimed, and slumped herself to the couch of the newly moved in apartment.

To say that she is tired is an understatement. She is sweating a ton, especially after the elevator malfunctioned when they were about to move the 6th box of Minju which resulted them to use the stairs. It was fine at first, but then they remembered that the girl’s apartment would be at the 7th floor.

“Sorry,” Minju said apologetically, “I’ll buy us lunch.”

“Can you do a delivery?” Hyewon asked, “I can’t feel my legs.”

“Sure,” Minju answered with a laugh, “I’ll make a call.” She said then stood up to get her phone and call for a delivery.

Hyewon looked around the apartment which is almost similar to her, the only difference would be that the bedroom is on the right while hers is on the left. Other than that, there’s not much difference.

“Is chicken fine?” Hyewon heard Minju asked and saw the girl peeking through the room.

“Chicken would be perfect.” She answered, Minju grinned at her and entered the room again.

Hyewon then looked at the boxes and thought about how girl would really fit her stuff in the apartment. Maybe it’s just the boxes. And then she realized, she’s at Minju’s apartment. She’s been with Minju since morning and held a proper conversation with the girl.

It seems like Sappho is blessing her to not be a useless lesbian. Until she was hit by another realization, she’s going to eat lunch with the girl. They are going to live in the same apartment building. There is a high chance that they would go to school together. Everyday.

Hyewon is panicking by now. She knows she’s overreacting and is thinking too far into the future. But she cannot help it. She’s so into her own mind that she was surprised when she felt the couch dip on the other side, indicating that someone is sitting beside.

“You alright?” Minju asked.

Hyewon gulped, because the girl is too close for her comfort. She could see Minju’s face clearly, the sweat that’s drying up on her forehead.

“Yeah.” Hyeown croaked out, “Just peachy.”

“Oh,” Minju looked at her worriedly, “Do you want to freshen up first?”

“Yes!” Hyewon exclaimed too quickly. “I mean yeah. I really feel sticky.”

Minju laughed and nodded, “I’ll text you when the chicken arrives.”

“Sure,” Hyewon stood up, “I’ll go now.”

Without waiting for a reply, she quickly went out of the apartment and groaned when she realized she has to use the stairs again. , I need to exercise more.

///

 

Hyewon quickly took a short shower and changed her clothes. She grabbed her phone decided to message her friends because she needs their advice.

the pink tree, the duck, the dog, and the

the: HELP

thedog: yyy

theduck: wat

thepinktree: minju moves today ryt?

thedog: OH. RYT RYT HOW WAS IT

theduck: KWANGBAE DID SOMETHING HAPPEN

the: nothing

the: im just panicking

the: I just realized

the: theres a chance we would walk to school together

the: from now on

thedog: dats sweet

theduck: u can walk properly, ders no problem w dat

the: NO

the: i don’t think I can handle being so close with her

the: i’ll suddenly malfunction and my brain would go boom

thepinktree: as ur friends

theduck: since diaper days

thedog: and best friends

the: wat shld I do

thepinktree: stop being a useless lesbian

thedog: same^

theduck: double same^^

the: fck u guys

thedog: we luv u tu

Hyewon stopped what she was about to reply when she felt her phone vibrate only to see that Minju messaged her.

Chicken is here

  • Minju

Be there in a minute

  • Hyewon

The art student quickly pocketed her phone and stood up from her couch, fixing herself. She then looked at the sketch that she would give to Minju as a welcoming gift. Please be alright.

 

///

 

Hyewon took her time in using the stairs trying to calm herself down, and preventing herself to damage the envelope she’s holding. Deeps breaths every time she took a step, she didn’t realize that she already reached the 7th floor. Just do what you did earlier.

She then opened the door and walked out of the fire exit, slowly walking over Minju’s apartment door. Okay, just knock.

And knock she did. She heard some movements from inside and the door clicking, revealing Minju who also seemed like she took a shower.

“Hey!” Minju greeted her and opened the door, “Welcome to my humble abode.” She joked making Hyewon chuckle.

“Clean up first.” Hyewon joked back, entering the apartment.

Minju then closed the door and walked over to the kitchen, while Hyewon just stands in the middle of the boxes. Minju then called her attention.

“Hey, let’s eat!” Minju smiled, “You wouldn’t want a cold chicken.”

“Nope,” Hyewon chuckled and looked at the envelope she’s holding. “Actually, here.” She hands the envelope over to Minju who is looking at it confusedly.

“What’s this?”

“Open it.” Hyewom smiled, taking a seat in front of the girl.

Raising her eyebrows, Minju followed what the art student said. Opening the folder, she then grabbed the paper and pulled it out.

“Oh,” She voiced out.

With the reaction, Hyewon gulped suddenly worried if it’s too ugly.

“I uh, you know,” Hyewon stuttered. “The welcome gift I told you about.”

Still hearing no reaction, the art student started to get nervous and rambled.

“I was young when I drew that so it may not look nice.” Hyewon started, “Actually, let me have it. I think it’s stupid and ugly. I’ll buy you another gift. Sorry abou – “

“I love it.”

“You what?” Hyewon stopped her ramblings when she heard the first few words that Minju said.

“I love it.” Minju repeated now smiling as she looked at Hyewon.

The latter blush at the sudden attention, “Oh, th-that’s great.”

“You drew this when you were young?” Minju asked, suddenly curious. “How young exactly?”

“About 10?” Hyewon furrowed her eyebrows, trying to remember the exact date. “Yeah when I was 10.”

“When you were 10?”

“Yeah,” Hyewon trailed off, “Why?”

“Hyewon! This is just so beautiful!” Mnju exclaimed, “And the fact that you drew this when you were 10!”

“It’s nothi – “

“Oh, stop it! I know when to give credit when it’s due,” Minju rolled her eyes, “And this is just amazing.”

Hyewon blushed at the compliment, not thinking of a response she just ate a chicken and smiled awkwardly. This sight made the English student laugh.

“Why tulips?” Minju asked as she stared at the sketch.

“Oh, I was young that time so I just drew those since I insisted my mom to buy me some flowers.”

“Oh,” Minju nodded, “What color is it?”

That question made Hyewon stop and think. Not remembering the exact color of the tulips that she drew; she shrugged her shoulders.

“I don’t really remember,” Hyewon answered slowly, biting her lips as she thinks. “But maybe that’s still great.”

“How so?”

“I know tulips have variety of colors,” Hyewon explained remembering her fascination with flowers when she was young, “And those colors symbolize different meanings. So, it could be up to you to imagine the color and it’s symbol.” Hyewon finished and smiled slightly.

Minju was staring at her as she explained, she didn’t know that art students could be this deep. Hyewon is really a fascinating person.

“And what color did you imagine when you decided to give this to me?” Minju asked.

Hyewon paused with the question, not expecting it. Red. “Pink.” She simply answered.

“And what does it mean?”

“Good-wishes for someone, perfect for you since you just moved in.” Hyewon answered, “And friendship.”

Minju beamed at the answer, “Friendship?”

“Yeah, if you wa – “

“I’d love to.” Minju smiled, putting the paper inside its envelope again. She put it aside and started to eat. Hyewon smiled at her and followed suit.

 

///

 

“You what?”

Hyewon groaned ruffling her hair, not wanting to repeat herself again.

“I said friendship.”

The troubled girl could hear a loud laugh coming from her laptop, and she could only hope that it would stop soon because she’s feeling embarrassed as the second pass.

“Kura-unnie, shut up.” Hyewon grumbled out.

“I’m sorry, you’re just really useless you know?”

As soon as Hyewon finished eating lunch courtesy of Minju, she said her farewell leaving the latter since she would need the time to fix and unbox all of her stuff. She would love to help the girl but Minju insisted for Hyewon to rest.

Following Minju’s advice, Hyewon offered the girl to just message her if she needs help. Leaving the apartment, she went to her own and as soon as she entered, she video called Sakura to tell her what happened. And it seems like she’s regretting it since the older girl is laughing at her the moment she told her story.

“I didn’t know what to say!” Hyewon exclaimed.

“You didn’t have to say friendship though,” Sakura said and stared at her friend from the other side of the screen. “That’s like digging your own grave.”

“What should have I said then?”

“Not friendship, that’s for sure.”

“Unnie!” Hyewon exclaimed, exasperatedly. “I can’t just tell her ‘oh, I imagined red tulips. Which means great devotion and true love’”

Hearing a snicker, Hyewon groaned out again throwing her head up as she rubbed her face.

“You could have stop at the good-wishes,” Sakura shrugged, “But sure, whatever floats in your boat.”

“Kura! You’re not helping!”

“You’re interrupting my gaming time, so of course not.”

“How’s your painting by the way?”

“Still black.” Hyewon said and stared at the canvas beside her, “I don’t really know what to do next.”

Sakura looks at the art student who is already going inside her own artistic mind, this sight made her smile.

“Just paint like how you see her. Don’t think about how people would see her. That’s your emotions anyway.”

Hearing the serious response, Hyewon turned to look at the older girl who is currently eating ramen.

“Wow, you’ve actually said something useful.”

“So that you’d end the call.”

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon leaned closer to her laptop. “Alright, alright. I’ll end it now. Good luck on your game!”

“Thank you! Good luck on your painting!” Sakura smiled and the screened turned black, indicating the call has ended.

Closing her laptop, Hyewon put it on the table near her bed and sat up. Pursing her lips, she stared at her canvas thinking if she should paint. She turned her head to look at the clean brushes and unopened paint.

Taking a deep breath, she stood up and tied her hair. Rolling the sleeves of her shirt, she opened the paint and picked up a brush. Dipping her brush in the white paint, she decided to just follow her friends’ advice.

She knows this is going to take hours which is why she turned her phone silent throwing it on her bed. She doesn’t want to be disturbed, not when she’s in her own world. My young imagination should work by now.

 

///

 

Minju finished sorting out all the boxes and realized that she indeed has so much stuff. She’s thankful that she managed to find a place in her apartment. Now, the only thing making her apartment look dirty are the boxes. That could be done tomorrow. I’m beat.

Minju walked over to her couch until she saw the envelope that was given by Hyewon earlier. She walked over it and pulled out the sketch. She can’t help but to smile and stare at the sketch. It was really beautiful, and the fact that Hyewon managed to do this when she was 10? That girl is a born artist.

Looking around her apartment, she’s thinking the perfect place to hang the sketch until she remembered that she does not have a spare frame. Sighing, Minju sat down on the couch and looked at the sketch.

When the art student left the apartment, Minju may have stalled a bit before she started cleaning. Due to her curiosity, she researched about the meaning of tulips and its colors. Hyewon was very accurate with her meaning when she said pink.

“And what color did you imagine when you decided to give this to me?”

“Pink.”

“And what does it mean?”

“Good-wishes for someone, perfect for you since you just moved in. And friendship.”

“Why do I see red?” Minju asked no one.