CHAPTER 22

Blending In

Waking up, Hyewon quietly sat up from her position and looked around remembering that she went home to her own apartment. As if she had an epiphany, she also remembered her interaction with Minju last night.

Of course, it was unexpected to see the girl right after she bought ramen. She wanted to just vanish from that very moment, or even ignore Minju. But Hyewon knows that it was not the girl’s fault, it’s not Minju’s fault that Hyewon fell for her.

Which is why she could not help but be worried when the girl announced that she would go out for a walk, only wearing shirt and sweatpants. Out of instinct, she just wrapped the jacket around her. Moving on be damned, she’ll feel guilty if Minju gets sick.

Grabbing her phone, she checked to see if anyone messaged her. Hyewon turned it off last night because Yujin and the others keep on calling her, she’s thankful really, but she wants time alone. After all, they are not calling to check up on her, but to annoy her.

She was surprised to see messages from Minju, reading it she just sighed. Contemplating if she should reply, she decided to just put it aside at the moment and grabbed a towel. A shower would be lovely.

She drowned herself from her thoughts, thinking about all the events that happened, the emotions she is currently feeling, and the decisions that she needs to make. Hyewon knows that her friends are worried for her, even Irene is worried.

Speaking of the older woman, she remembered her advice yesterday. Keeping the friendship. Turning the shower off, she stepped out of the bathroom only with a towel wrapped around her body.

Quickly walking to her room, she changed to her usual clothes. She blows dried her hair because Hyewon decided that she would wear her prescribed glasses and a cap. And wearing a cap is not advisable when you still have wet hair.

Grabbing her things, she glanced around her room. When Hyewon saw her paintings at the side, she just chuckled. Ironically, she suddenly has this urge to paint. But she doesn’t even know what to paint. This .

Walking out, she quickly grabbed her phone and looked at Minju’s message last night. Biting her lips, she just decided to send a simple message.

Got home safe?

  • Hyewon

Shaking her head, she went out of her apartment not even bothering to get a light breakfast. Feeling the fresh air, she pulled her cap lower just because she wants to. Hyewon suddenly missed being alone and not having anyone to think about.

But somehow, she could not imagine anything if she hadn’t met Minju. Wow, my life is really boring, huh?

 

//

 

Minju woke up with a sudden surge of energy. It seems like her walk from last gave her this courage to do the right things. Especially with the interaction with Hyewon. Smiling to herself, she walked to her bathroom and quickly took a shower.

She hopes she could catch the girl walking to their university, and have a proper conversation. But the only problem is, what could they talk about?

Minju is not sure if she should open up about her knowing Hyewon’s feelings, or just ignore it – wait for the girl to open that topic. This thing is making her crazy and stressed. Add that to the fact with the swirling rumor regarding with Taeyong.

This made her groan louder, thinking about various ways how to talk to the guy until she heard her phone.

Got home safe?

  • Hyewon

Holy . Minju thought and quickly typed a reply, after hitting send she immediately grabbed her bag and went out of her apartment. Hoping to see Hyewon on her way.

Yes, thank you! Let’s walk together?

  • Minju

Walking out of the apartment building, Minju quickly looked for Hyewon and smiled when she saw a familiar figure walking down the street. She’s not even holding her phone.

With that in mind, she decided to approach the girl from behind tapping her shoulders.

“Good morning!” She greeted the girl who turned to look at her. But Minju was greatly surprised to see Hyewon wearing specs.

She could only blink at the girl who was staring at her with surprise on her face, and Minju could not help but to stare back. Hyewon is unfairly cute with her glasses, cute is not even the proper term.

“Hey.” She heard the girl quietly.

“Let’s walk together?” Minju managed to ask, and the girl just nodded her head looking around awkwardly.

The walk is unnervingly quiet, and not the kind of quiet that they are associated with. It was seriously uncomfortable, and Minju could feel the awkwardness between them. She is also aware that Hyewon is walking with an odd distance between not, minding her own business.

, Minju talk. She scolded herself.

Clearing , Minju matched Hyewon’s pace, making the latter look at her.

“So, how was the sleepover?”

Minju decided to ask, knowing it was technically a sleepover, but it also holds a deep meaning.

“Stressful.” Hyewon quietly replied.

This made Minju frown, it was like she was back to the old Hyewon. The one who would always answer questions with one word and end the conversation there.

“Care to share?” She said with hope in her voice.

“Maybe next time.” Hyewon smiled apologetically, she then looked around to see that they already arrived.

“See you when I see you.” She mumbled, and quickly walked past Minju. The latter could only look at the girl who did not even wait for her reply.

Sighing, Minju walked to her own class, it seems like this is harder than she expected.

 

///

 

Hyewon quickly walked to her class, though she felt guilty for not even properly answering Minju’s questions. But it’s not like she expected the girl to walk with her that morning, she was just thinking on how to approach the girl.

But it really took her by surprise when Minju suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Hyewon does not have a game plan yet on how to approach the girl after all the fiasco that happened. Well, it only happened on her side, it’s not like Minju knows it. She doesn’t, right?

Sitting on her chair, Hyewon heaved her breath until she felt someone’s gaze on her. Looking at her left she saw Yujin already there.

“You seem like you saw a ghost.” Yujin frowned, “Are you alright?”

Hyewon hesitated, which was not unnoticed by the younger girl but she decided to just ignore it and wait for the girl to answer.

“I’m alright.”

This caused Yujin to smirk, obviously Hyewon is not alright. Shaking her head, she just shrugged her shoulders. “Whatever you say, unnie.”

Hyewon just kept quiet during the whole period, but she keeps on fidgeting on her seat and Yujin keeps tapping her hand to stop her. In result, Hyewon decided to sketch which for the most part prevented her from being restless.

But as she progresses her sketches, familiar features always welcome her. Eyes, nose, lips, side profile, smile. Various unfinished sketches are scattered on her sketchbook, she could not even sketch without the reminder of a certain English major.

“I talked to Minju earlier.” She whispered, not taking it anymore. She needs someone to talk to.

Yujin stopped her hands from writing notes and looked at the older girl beside her. Worry is flooding her face.

“I’ll text the other two.”

Hyewon just nodded and Yujin discreetly fished out her phone to text Sakura and Yena.

The older girl then turned to face the front, hoping for the class to end sooner.

“Let’s just talk later, Yujin. I’ll spend sometime at the library.” Hyewon whispered to the girl.

“Don’t you want to talk?”

“I can manage. Just buy me a sandwich, alright?”

Yujin stared at the girl beside her and just sighed. Nodding her head to the request, she could not help but to greatly worry for Hyewon since she’s been skipping her meals.

Hearing the bell, both of them stood up and went out of the room. Hyewon turned to the other direction but was pulled by the wirst.

“You sure you’re going to okay?” Yujin asked.

Hyewon smiled at the younger girl and nodded, “I’ll just help out in the library.”

Seeing the smile, Yujin let go of her wrist. Watching the older girl walk away and as she turned the corner, Yujin walked to the cafeteria knowing that Sakura and Yena has so many questions.

Walking to the cafeteria, Yujin wonders about what happened earlier with Hyewon and Minju. She knows that the former will always be selfless, and the fact that Minju does not know her effect to Hyewon just means that the older girl would continue their friendship despite having feelings for Minju.

Arriving at the cafeteria, Yujin immediately saw Sakura and Yena waving at her, obviously looking for Hyewon. Approaching the other two, she sat beside them.

“Where’s Kang-chan?” Sakura asked her as soon as she situated herself.

“She went to the library.” Yujin the grabbed her purse and stood up, “I’ll just buy her sandwich and my lunch.”

“She’s going to eat sandwich, again?” Yena frowned, and the younger girl just nodded as she scrunched her nose.

Looking at the selection of sandwiches, Yujin just grabbed two – chicken sandwich and tuna. She knows that the older girl would eat these two since these are the only sandwiches she eats there. Lining up to get her usual lunch, grateful that the line is not that long.

Walking back to their table, Yujin is focused on balancing the tray that she is holding that when she sat down, she is surprised to see new occupants on their table.

Sakura and Yena frowns at the two new face, while Yujin just stares at them.

“Hey, I’m Chaewon.” The girl introduced herself, the three of them nodded.

“Uhh, she’s my best friend.”

The three of them then turned their head to the other girl. Minju.

“I’m Minju, if you guys don’t – “

“We know.” Sakura cuts her off with a neutral tone.

Yujin quickly cleared , and glared at the Japanese girl who just shrugged her shoulders. She then mustered up a smile.

“Unnie, what are you doing here?”

“Can you help us?” Chaewon asked, “We need to find Taeyong.”

Yena raised her eyebrows at the request, “Shouldn’t Minju know where he is? She is his girlfriend after all.”

“That’s the point.” Chaewon groaned, “Taeyong spread that false rumor about them.”

This caused the three of them to widened their eyes and turned to look at the said the girl.

“I rejected him, but then the next school day this rumor is swirling around. I couldn’t even contact him.”

“Oh .” Yena muttered.

“So, will you help us?”

 

///

 

“So, you become helpful when you’re down?”

“Shut up, unnie.” Hyewon rolled her eyes, “I am always helpful.”

Irene snickered at the girl, grabbing a book from the cart beside her. “Not this helpful.”

Hyewon decided to sort the books on her desk, and Irene helped her out. Weirdly enough, Irene always managed to help her with her problems despite not telling anything. The librarian is not really good in consoling people, but her work is great enough for therapy.

“Can’t you just say thank you?” Hyewon laughed.

“No.”

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon grabbed another book and walked over to the other shelf to put it in. She then heard the cart being pushed, following Irene to a new section.

“I saw your exhibit.” The librarian mentioned, glancing at the art student who paused her actions for a second.

“It’s a free entry after all.”

“It doesn’t have any artists’ name,” Irene smiled, “But I don’t need your name to know what was yours.”

“And what was my piece?”

“You’re really dramatic with your Latin.” Irene .

“If you’re not older, I’ll smack you right here.” Hyewon frowned and pouted.

“You could’ve denied it though.” Irene shrugs and bump the younger girl as a joke.

“Whatever.”

“Do you think she knows?” Irene asked her.

“What?”

“Do you think she has any idea that you’re the one who painted that?”

Hyewon scoffed, of course Minju would not know. “Nope.”

Smirking, Irene looked at the girl who is oozing with confidence. “How are you so sure?”

Hyewon knows that she’s just fooling herself, but she doesn’t want to admit that Minju would probably know it. “It’s not that identical.”

“I doubt that.”

“What?”

Irene looked at her, her gaze holding something as if she knows an important fact. “I doubt that.” With that said, the librarian pushed the now empty cart out of the section and walked to her desk. Leaving the art student wondering what her words mean.

Hyewon just followed Irene to her desk and peeked to what the older woman doing. Apparently, she is back to her boring work – which is typing who knows what to her computer. Hyewon then felt her phone vibrate in her pocket causing her to fish it out.

Ms. Kang said it’s a free day. Because of our exhibit.

  • Yujin

Cool. Should I just wait for you at the library?

  • Hyewon

Yeah, I’ll be there. I bought you two sandwiches.

  • Yujin

Reading the last message, Hyewon suddenly felt hunger hitting her, making her remember that she did not have anything since the morning.

“Hungry?” Irene asked, looking at her.

Hyewon just smiled sheepishly and nodded. As proof, her stomach suddenly grumbled making her blush.

Chuckling, Irene gave her some chocolate. “As a thank you for helping.”

Hyewon grinned and accepted the offer, “Just one? I help you all the time, unnie.” She joked.

Irene rolled her eyes and just ignored her statement; she continues typing to her computer. Hyewon then pulled a chair to sit beside the older woman, just basically doing her own thing.

“I talked to Minju last night. Then earlier in the morning.” She said quietly.

The librarian stopped her work and turned to the art student, smiling.

“How was it?”

“Awkward.” Hyewon said, “Deadly awkward.”

“Maybe you’re just making it awkward?”

Hyewon thought about that, and perhaps the older woman is right. Hyewon is the only one who feels the awkwardness between them, not talking to the girl giving one-word answers, and avoiding her.

“I hate having feelings for her!” Hyewon groaned.

Irene scoffed at the whining girl, “You don’t mean that.”

“I don’t.”

“Seriously unnie, you’re not good at consoling but at the same time you are.” Hyewon frowned, “That doesn’t even make sense.”

“It doesn’t.” Irene teased, making Hyewon push her. The both of them were busy talking and joking around with each other until they heard someone clearing their throat. Turning their heads, they saw Yujin waiting for her. With Minju?

Quickly standing up, Hyewon greeted them, “Hey.”

“That sounds awkward.” Irene whispered under her breath. Hyewon kicked her chair making the librarian chuckle.

“What are you guys doing?” Minju asked, which surprised the three. Hyewon frowned at the weird question but Irene was faster than her.

“Just talking.” Irene smiled innocently.

“Doesn’t seem like it.” Minju said and shrugs her shoulders.

Hyewon frowns, not sure why the atmosphere is suddenly getting heavy. Her gaze flitting to Minju and Irene, who is sporting a very annoying smirk.

“Anyways! I’m here to walk with you unnie!” Yujin said, wanting the tensed atmosphere to end. It seems like her best friend is dense to feel a thing.

“Right,” Hyewon nodded slowly, “I’ll just get my bag.” She walked over to her bag which was put beside the desk. Irene smiled at the girl as farewell.

“Be sure to help me again, Hyewon.” Irene said, “I’ll be looking forward to your visits.”

Hyewon found it really weird for the older woman to say that, the fact that she addressed her but Irene is obviously looking at Minju – who is currently frowning. The art student just nodded her unsure what to reply.

Yujin wanted to smack her best friend right then and there, quickly pulling out Hyewon at the library. Minju followed them out still frowning.

“Hey Minju,” Hyewon decided to greet the girl, “What are you doing here?”

“Can’t I be here?” Minju frowns obviously not over with the sight earlier.

Panicking Hyewon quickly shakes her head, “No, I mean yes. Wait I actually mean no!”

Yujin and Minju stares at the panicked state of the other girl, Minju could not help but to smile. She can still talk to me.

“I mean, don’t you have classes?” Hyewon asked.

“I have.” Minju smiled, “I just want to say something.”

Frowning Hyewon was about to ask when her stomach suddenly rumbled again. Groaning she turned to her best friend, she unconsciously pouted to Yujin.

“Where’s my sandwich?”

Yujin chuckled and gave her sandwich, “Unnie, you look like a kid with that glasses and pout.”

“Whatever.” Hyewon rolled her eyes and turned her head to Minju, “What are you going to say?” Don’t be awkward.

“I just wanted to ask you if you want to have dinner with me later?”

“What?” “What?”

Hyewon and Yujin both asked simultaneously.

Minju chuckled and stared at Hyewon, “I just remembered you last night only eating instant ramen. So yeah.”

“Oh,” Hyewon frowned planning to reject the idea, “I’m so – “

“She’s so going to have dinner with you.” Yujin beat her to it, Hyewon quickly turned her head to the younger girl who was grinning.

“Great! I’ll just text you later,” Minju beamed, “I need to go to my classes.” The girl then quickly walked away, waving at the two of them.

Hyewon then quickly slapped Yujin by the arm making the latter grimace in pain.

“Why did you accept it?!” She exclaimed. Yujin just rolled her eyes and pulled the girl.

“You’re skipping meals, and you only ate instant noodles last night?” Yujin retorted.

“I was craving, okay?” Hyewon reasoned out, “That doesn’t give you the right – “

“Shut up and just eat your sandwich unnie.” Yujin said, shoving the sandwich to Hyewon’s mouth successfully shutting her up.

“You will go to dinner with her.” Yujin declared, “Or we will make your life a living hell.”

“We?”

“Your lovely best friends.” Yujin grinned, “I already texted them, so yeah. Be sure to have dinner with Minju-unnie, alright?”

Hyewon could only nod, and ate her sandwich. Quietly preparing herself to whatever may happen later. Great, I need to get my act together later.


A/N

I've already wrote this capter way ebfore I realized that there's still no kiss between them :--(( i'm already writing chapter 25 soooo if you dont mind waiitng, thank you very much :--(( Take care y'all!