CHAPTER 8

Blending In

It was Thursday which means that Minju would be in the library around lunch time, Hyewon is contemplating to do her usual routine now that Minju is aware of her existence. No thanks to her friends and some entities that keep on putting her fate along with the English major.

Hyewon is walking to her class, knowing that Yujin is already there. She’s thinking about what she should do for the day, if she should have lunch with her friends or go to the library, wherein the three idiots would most likely create a ruckus.

Seeing that she already arrived in her assigned room, she quickly entered and slipped into her seat. Yujin looked up from her sketchbook to acknowledge her presence. Curiously, she looked at what the younger girl is doing.

“What’s that?” Hyewon asked, looking over the younger girl’s shoulder.

“I’m thinking about the project.” Yujim mumbled, focusing on her sketch.

“Any plans?”

“Yeah,” Yujin nodded, “I think I have one now.”

“What is it?”

“Tell me yours first.” Yujin smirked at her looking at Hyewon.

“I asked first.”

“Friendship. Growing up.” Yujin shrugged, “Maybe I’ll sketch your ugly asses.” She said pertaining to Hyewon and their other two friends.

“That’s sweet of you.” Hyewon teased.

“ you.” Yujin rolled her eyes, “And yours?” She asked again, wanting to receive a proper answer.

“I think you already know.” Hyewon said and smiled.

This made Yujin stop from what she’s doing and closed her sketchpad. Giving the older girl her full attention, Hyewon stared at the younger girl who was staring back at her.

“Holy ,” Yujin whispered, “You’re disgusting.”

“Shut up!” Hyewon exclaimed.

“Kura-unnie and Yena should – “

Hyewon immediately grabbed the younger girl’s hand to prevent her from texting their friends.

“Don’t.”

“Why?”

Hyewon sighed and rubbed her face with her hands, “I’m not really sure, you know?”

“Unnie, what do you mean?” Yujin asked worriedly.

“I mean, I’ve bought a canvas already and paints,” The older girl sighed, “But I don’t know how to paint her.”

“You don’t know how to paint her?” Yujin asked, confused.

“Like, I don’t know.” Hyewon said defeatedly, “I don’t know how to paint her, if I should paint her! I might not able to –“

“Hold that thought.” Yujin cut her off, making the older girl look at the latter.

“Unnie, you know you should paint her. You’re so whipped for her.” Yujin said with an obvious tone.

She then continued, “Don’t think about anything, paint her like how you see her. That’s what you always say to me. Because at the end of the day, you’re the only person who could fully understand your art.”

Yujin shrugged finishing her short speech, not waiting a response from the older girl she turned her body to do her sketch again. Hyewon was staring at the younger girl, smile forming on her face. She ruffled the girl’s hair, because Yujin might be annoying as hell but she could be philosophical when needed.

 

///

 

“Unnie I can’t join you for lunch.” Yujin said sadly while fixing her things. The older girl looking at her questioningly.

“Why?”

“I’ll need to buy some art supplies.” Yujin smiled.

“Oh, you’re getting serious on the project.” Hyewon teased the younger girl.

Yujin scrunched her nose and laughed, “I don’t want to fail unnie.”

“Alright, alright.” Hyewon shrugged, “I’ll just tell Kura-unnie and Yena.”

“Thanks.” Yujin said, “Will you go to the library though?”

“I don’t know, seriously.” Hyewon sighed, now thinking about if she should or should not.

“Why?”

“Because of course, Minju knows me now. I can’t like sketch her because it would be really creepy.” Hyewon explained, making the younger girl chuckle.

“Then don’t, try to get to know her.” Yujin rolled her eyes, “You’re just making your life creepy.”

“Hey!” Hyewon slapped the younger girl’s arm.

Laughing, Yujin stepped back and said her goodbye. “I’ll need to go now! Tell them I’ll be doing the project, thank you!”

Hyewon nodded at the younger girl who was waving like an excited child, “Yeah, you take care alright?”

“Will do!”

Seeing that Yujin is already at a distance, Hyewon decided to walk to the cafeteria. The hallway is now bustling with students since it’s already around lunch. She received a text earlier from Yena saying that she already got her lunch, which she is grateful for since Hyewon is not in the mood to wait in line.

Arriving at the semi-crowded cafeteria, she immediately spotted her two friends. Sakura wearing a plain black shirt while Yena is wearing a red sweater twice her size. Approaching their table, Yena was the first one to acknowledge her presence followed by Sakura who seems like busy playing with her Nintendo Switch.

“Where’s Yujin?” Yena asked after chewing her food, this caused Sakura to look at Hyewon only to see that a certain giant is not with her.

“She’s buying some art supplies for our project.” Hyewon said and sat down.

“What project?”

“Oh, we’re going to do an exhibit,” Hyewon explained grabbing a spoonful of her lunch, “For our final requirement. We can do whatever we want as long it’s aligned with the theme.”

“And the theme is?” Sakura asked curiously.

“Everyday life.” Hearing the answer, Yena and Sakura nodded.

“Will you sketch?” Yena asked, halting Hyewon’s movements. Sakura stopped playing and stared at the art student who was obviously surprised by the question.

“, you’re not.” Sakura declared, immediately connecting the dots. “You’re going to paint!”

“Don’t tell me – “ Yena trailed off, “You’re going to paint her?” She asked pertaining to a certain girl, the three of them knowing who it is.

“Just quiet it down, please.” Hyewon begged and ate her lunch.

“What are you planning?” Sakura asked a reasonable question.

“To be honest, I don’t know yet.” Hyewon shrugged.

“We’re looking forward to see it.” Sakura smiled and Yena nodded at the statement.

Knowing their friend’s promise since she was young, Hyewon has not painted anyone since making that promise. They thought it was a stupid promise to begin with. They asked the girl to paint them but she kept refusing, until they just got tired of being rejected. Hyewon seems to hold on to that promise.

But knowing that she would paint someone now, this is making them excited. Their friend’s talent would finally be seen by people. Hyewon is talented even though she does not give herself that much credit. Her sketches were impeccable, but her forte would be painting. Ever since before, the girl has been painting her whole life. If she could drink paint, she would do it.

And to hear that she would be painting, someone nonetheless, Sakura and Yena knows that it would be amazing. They also know that their friend is in love with her muse. They’re not just sure if Hyewon is already aware of it, knowing that she’s dense with emotions. But the fact that Hyewon decided to paint the girl, they it just says something that their friend is realizing her feelings. Slow for their liking, but progress is still progress.

“I’m going now.” Hyewon said, only eating half of her lunch before standing up.

“Library?” Yena asked the girl.

“Yeah,” Hyewon grabbed her back and stood up, waiting for her friends to move.

“What?” Yena asked seeing that the art student is not yet going.

“You’re not going to come?” Hyewon confusingly asked, her two friends still sitting busy with their own business.

Sakura shrugged, “Seems like you need your inspiration.” She smiled with a teasing glint in her eyes.

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon chuckled. “Whatever. I’m going.”

“Draw well!” Yena shouted and Hyewon could hear the loud laugh of her two friends. God, I hate them.

 

///

 

Hyewon arrived at the library greeting Irene who was busy checking some new books. She noticed that there were not much people, entering the main library she didn’t see Minju on her usual table. The girl is not in the library. Shrugging her shoulders, the art student is about to walk to her usual table when she decided against it.

Hyewon decided to seat on the leather chair she found before. Hyewon greatly needs the time to actually think how she would want her painting to be, with her mind deciding it, she proceeded to walk over to the chair. Hidden in the corner, she sat down.

She just mindlessly pulled out her sketchbook and pencil and started doing her usual thing. Her hands started moving, drawing the library’s ceiling, the pillars, the bookshelves. Then there goes unknown silhouette of students, random students.

But of course, she would not forget to draw a certain English major. Her silhouette much more detailed than the others. Much more obvious that she’s the main character of that sketch. Turning the page, Hyewon started to draw another scene.

An awful familiar side profile of a girl reading a book, light coming from the upper left. Giving emphasis on her features, but still give enough mysteriousness due to the shadows. Hyewon is in her own world, doing what she loves the most.

She didn’t not notice the time, nor did she bother to look if Minju is there. She’s too absorbed in her work to even look up. Which is why she’s surprised when someone cleared their throat in front of her.

Quickly looking up, she saw the subject of art smiling at her.

“What are you drawing?”

Hyewon quickly closed the sketchpad and sat up.

“Uhh, nothing.” She awkwardly said, avoiding Minju’s eyes. She doesn’t want to let the other girl know that she’s somehow, most probably lying.

“I doubt that,” Minju said, “You were so focused on it.”

“R-really, it’s nothing.” Hyewon stuttered and chuckled awkwardly.

Feeling that the art student does not want to elaborate it any longer, Minju decided to drop the subject.

Nodding her head, “I didn’t see you in your usual place.”

“Huh?” Hyewon questioned dumbly.

“I didn’t see you in your usual table,” Minju shrugged, “Then you’re just hiding here.”

“You hate being seen, don’t you?” Minju asked.

Hyewon wanted to deny that, but she couldn’t instead she answered with a shrug.

“Maybe.” She mumbled, scratching her nose with her index finger. Sign of nervousness.

“Where are your friends?” Minju decided to ask.

And Hyewon does not know why the girl keeps on asking her questions, because she’s dying of nervousness but of course, her face wouldn’t show it because she always has a blank face.

“Busy.” She answered plainly.

Minju raised her eyebrows and chuckled, “You hate talking?”

“Wh-what?” Hyewon surprised, “No!” She said whispering loudly because she’s aware they are at the library.

“You’re just answering with one to two words.” Minju shrugged.

“Oh, sorry.” Hyewon apologized and realized that the girl is right.

“See?” Minju laughed quietly.

“Don’t you have classes?” Hyewon blurted out, wincing. Because who would know someone else’s schedule.

“Actually, I have,” Minju trailed off, “How did you know?”

Hyewon decided to reason out the first thing she thought of, “Well, you know. Most schedules have classes after lunch and all that.” Hyewon smiled.

“Right,” Minju nodded her and stared at the girl who is sitting making Hyewon go deeper on the chair.

“I need to go now,” Minju smiled, “I was just looking for you.”

“Huh,” Hyewon said dumbly, “I mean, why?”

“About the moving thing,” Minju smiled, “Would Saturday 10 AM be alright for you? I’ll buy us lunch after?”

Thinking if she has anything to do on that day, Hyewon nodded her head slowly. “Yeah, that’d be good.”

“Perfect!” Minju smiled widely making the art student’s heart beat quickly.

“Just text me?” Hyewon suggested, “I’ll be up by then for sure.”

“Sure!” Minju then stepped away, “I’m going now!”

And Hyewon just stared at the English student who was walking backwards still smiling at her widely. Hyewon waved her hands dumbly, and Minju laughed quietly. Completely walking out of Hyewon’s spot.

The art student just stares at the recent empty space, but the image of the English student earlier still embedded in her mind. Minju’s soft features, smiling widely at her. The shadows of the bookshelves preventing light on her spot, with only streams of it being seen. Giving an effect that Minju is shining.

Hyewon’s heart beating faster just by replaying the scene, she quickly sat up and hastily put her things inside her bag. Walking out of her spot, then turned to running out of the library mumbling a tiny apology to Irene who was looking at her confusedly.

Because it seems like Hyewon is sure of what and how to paint her project.