CHAPTER 21

Blending In

Hyewon never went back to her own apartment, spending the night at Yujin’s, with Sakura and Yena. And if she’s being honest, she does not even want to go to her Monday class, but she knows that she needs to.

Dragging herself out of the spare bed of Yujin, she reluctant prepared herself for the day. Borrowing clothes from the taller girl and what not, until she found herself walking to their university with her friends.

She’s walking mindlessly in between her friends, thinking about how the day will go, if she would ever see Minju or if she’s going to her own apartment. Hyewon is grateful that the walk would take more time since Yujin lives quite a distance from their university.

“The exhibit’s today right?” Hyewon heard Sakura asked, and at that moment she remembered her own piece. .

“.” She muttered.

Hyewon could feel the worried stares and glances at her from her three friends, but she’s much more focused on her piece. Why did she not even think of it before? Why was she so confident?

“Unnie, no one would know about it.” Yujin reassured the older girl, looking at the other two for support.

“Yeah, Yujin’s right.” Yena meekly said.

“Don’t worry about it.” Sakura followed.

The four them knows that they are just kidding themselves. It would be a miracle if no one woild see the resemblance, that would mean that they are not just looking enough. All of them know that Hyewon is a talented artist, and that says it all.

Arriving at the university, the four of them can already see the crowd forming at the main hall, and judging from a distance they could tell that the pieces are already there and getting much attention.

“Would you like to see it?” Yujin asks Hyewon.

The latter just shook her head and smiled slightly, “You guys can go, I’ll just go to the library.”

“But – “

“Don’t worry, I won’t cut classes.”

Without waiting for a reply, Hyewon walked away from the three who just stared at her retreating figure. They don’t want to force their friend; they just hope that this drama would stop as soon as possible.

“Should we really just leave her alone?” Yena asks, pouting at Hyewon’s figure.

“It’s the best for now, that’s what she wants.” Sakura sighed.

Walking to the library feels like hell, there are more students than what she thought, especially since it is a Monday morning. It also seems like there’s a rumor or gossip running around, judging from all the murmurs that hears.

Hyewon could not help but to roll her eyes, she hopes the end would end quickly as she just wants to eat some cake at her apartment.

She did not even mean it, but as soon as she turned the corner, she could not help but to overhear some conversation.

“Did you know that Taeyong and Minju are dating?”

“They became official last Friday.”

This made Hyewon stutter on her steps, and continued as if she hasn’t heard anything. Blinking, she entered the library looking at the ground with heavy steps.

Hearing heavy footsteps, Irene looked up and saw Hyewon looking dejected. The older woman already heard the rumors, and judging from Hyewon’s expression, she is in the same boat. Irene decided to just approach her and pulled Hyewon to sit beside her behind the desk.

“Are you alright?” She asks.

“No.” Hyewon deadpanned, making Irene wince.

“Right, forget me asking that. That was a stupid question.”

This made Hyewon chuckle, and glanced at the books on the desk.

“There are already books need to be sorted?”

“Yeah, lazy students we have here.” Irene rolled her eyes, noticing that Hyewon is about to stand up she pulled the girl down and quickly said.

“Don’t bother to help, you can just sit there.”

“But – “

“No buts. I can do that later.” Irene said, and continued. “What time is your class?”

“9AM.” Hyewon answered, shrugging her shoulders and looked around.

“You still have 30 minutes to spare.”

“Thanks for reminding me.” Hyewon grinned at the librarian.

A comfortable silence settled between them, Irene just typing on her computer while Hyewon zones out, wasting time until her class starts. Maybe I should just cut and sleep at my apartment?

“Have you talked to her?”

Hyewon was startled at the question and looked at Irene who repeated the question.

The younger girl just shook her head, “No.”

Irene frowned, “Why – “

“She’s already dating, haven’t you heard the rumors unnie?”

“Well, at least try to save your friendship?” Irene said, unsure if she’s saying the right thing.

“What?” Hyewon looked at her confused.

“The friendship Hyewon. You don’t want her to completely get out of your life, right?” Irene smirked at the younger girl who avoided her eyes.

Hyewon kept quiet.

“Then at least have friendship with her.”

Sighing, Hyewon answered, “I’ll think about it.”

Chuckling, Irene just turned her attention back to her work “You’ll do it.” She declared.

“Shut up, unnie.” Hyewon whined, causing Irene to chuckle more.

 

//

 

Hyewon did not even bother to listen to her class, just staring out of space and the flooding thoughts inside her mind. Yujin knows that the older girl is having a hard time, especially with the rumors going around. That is absolutely a double kill.

Going to the exhibit, the three of them could not help but to hear the rumors going around. Judging from the older girl’s unfocused state, Yujin is sure that she already heard about it. Well, this .

Hearing the bell, the two went out of the room only to be greeted by Sakura and Yena. Hyewon raised her eyebrows, seeing the other two unusually early and in front of their own room.

“What are you guys doing here?” She asked.

Yena scoffed and head locked the girl, “A thank you would suffice you idiot.”

“We’re going to walk together to the cafeteria.” Sakura laughed, pulling Hyewon out of the head lock.

“That’s sweet.” Hyewon said sarcastically. The three of her friends laughed at her and dragged her to their destination, not bothering to hear her protests.

Basically, the three of them already talked about it earlier during their walk at the exhibit. They decided to walk with Hyewon, especially with the rumors going around. They know how rumors are not much reliable, but it is better be safe than sorry.

But they know that there is a high possibility of that happening, especially with Hyewon story during that time.

Arriving at the cafeteria, it has its usual busy atmosphere – with student bustling, noises around them. Gossips. Rumors. The only thing different is that they are very much aware of the rumor, and that one of their friends is affected by it.

Looking around, they are trying to look for an open table when Hyewon could not take it anymore.

“Can we eat somewhere else?” She asked, making the other three turn at her.

“Just, anywhere but here.” She mumbled, “It’s suffocating.”

Yujin being much aware grinned and wrapped an arm around Hyewon, throwing a certain look at the other two.

“Of course, anywhere you want!” She exclaimed.

“Sakura would be treating us.” Yena followed, earning a smack.

“When did I say that?”

“Just now.” Yena deadpanned, and dragged the two art students out of the cafeteria. The Japanese girl following with a scowl, but being aware with the murmurs, perhaps Hyewon is right. It really is suffocating here.

 

//

 

Judging by the looks of their orders, Sakura felt that she needs to budget her money for the next few weeks. Their table is currently full with various foods, and she’s not even sure if they could finish it all.

“Can we finish all of these?” She asked worriedly.

“Kwangbae can.” Yena said, ready to get some food.

“She’s hungry.” Yujin pointed at the older girl, already stuffing food in .

Hyewon looked at her three friends and just shrugged her shoulders, “I am.”

“Please don’t use me for your grief-eating phase Kang-chan.” Sakura sighed, “I’d go broke.”

Hyewon just grinned, “This will pass, don’t worry.”

The other three stared at her and sighed, knowing that it will not pass as quickly she thought it would.

 

///

 

Minju could feel the stares of other students at her, and she could only hope to end the classes right then and there. She should have never accepted that hang out. . She should have slapped Taeyong right then and there.

Chaewon is absolutely right, that guy is up to no good. The fact that he spread some nasty rumors of them dating, how dare he? I would seriously kick him where it hurts.

“Have you contacted him yet?” Chaewon asked her.

“No.” Minju hissed. Taeyong has not been answering her calls and texts. Obviously avoiding her, which adds more stress since she needs to look for the guy.

The main problem is how she would face a certain art student right now, with this rumor swirling around the campus. Minju is seriously stressed and she does not know what to do.

“I never knew love stories are so stressful.” She groaned.

Her best friend just rolled her eyes, “It’s stressful when you’re in denial.”

And maybe, she was right. If Minju has never been in denial and just accepted the fact that she likes a girl, then this would not even happen.

“Do you think she’ll go to the library?”

Chaewon stared at her hopeless best friend incredulously, and seeing the look, Minju could only groan again.

“Don’t answer that.”

 

/

 

Looking up from her work, Irene was surprised to see Minju walking inside the library. She saw the girl look at her which caused her to smile.

“Hi Minju.”

Minju just nodded her head and smiled, entering the main library. Irene just hopes that Hyewon would magically decide to continue her routine of going to the library. Or not, it’s great if she would talk to her.

Shaking her head, she continued with her work. Putting the drama of youngsters at the back of her mind.

Minju looked around the library hoping to see a familiar person, but could only sigh out of disappointed to not see the one she’s looking for. She walked over to Hyewon’s usual table, she just decided to wait for the girl.

 

//

 

Hyewon walks to the exhibit with Yujin, thankful that there are not many students like earlier. She appreciated her classmates’ pieces, but she stopped when she saw Yujin’s.

She did not even stop her face from smiling, the younger girl really is proud of her piece. And in Hyewon’s opinion, she should be. Yujin’s piece is really just heartwarming.

“You really did great, Yujin.” She bumped the girl’s hip who just snickered.

“Well, not as great as yours, unnie.” Yujin said softly, and focused her gaze behind Hyewon.

The latter turned around, and there behind her is her very own piece. Walking slowly over it, Hyewon stared at the painting.

“Do you think she already saw this?” She asked the girl beside her.

Yujin bit her lips, and answered truthfully. “I don’t know.”

“Do you want her to?” The younger girl asked, Hyewon blinked at the question.

“Maybe.” She chuckled, “Irene-unnie said that I should keep our friendship.”

“Do you want to?” Yujin hummed, admiring the older girl’s work.

“Maybe.”

“It’s a yes or no question unnie.”

A beat.

“If that’s the only way to keep her in my life,” Hyewon whispered, “Then yes. I want to.”

“Even if you’ll get hurt?” Yujin asked worriedly.

Hyewon turned to look at the younger girl, looking at her with a worried gaze. She just chuckled and messed with her hair. Turning around opting not to answer. Even if I’ll get hurt.

 

/

 

Minju just sighed and stood up from her seat, Hyewon did not come. At some point, Minju knows deep within her that the art student would not go to the library, but there was still this little hope that somehow, she would.

Walking out of the library, Minju was dragging herself out of it when someone called her. Turning around, she saw Irene looking at her.

“Yes, unnie?”

Irene just smiled, “How are you?”

Minju blinks at the older woman, confused at the sudden question.

“I’m alright, unnie.” She mumbled, unsure how to answer the weird and unexpected question.

Irene just nodded her head, “She’ll talk to you soon.”

Minju whips her head to the older woman, “What, who – “

“Hyewon.” Irene chuckled, “She’s a stubborn girl, but she’ll crack soon.”

Without waiting for a reply, Irene turned around continuing her work. Minju stares at her back and slowly walks out of the library. How did she know?

 

//

 

Hyewon went back to her own apartment, though Yujin was reluctant to leave the older girl alone. But she managed to reassure the younger girl that she would be fine. She also promised that she would call the three of them if something went wrong.

It seems like forever since she last saw her apartment, sighing she changed her clothes and stared at the empty canvas on her easel. She then flitted her gaze to the other pieces that she painted.

Shaking her head, she walked over to her sketchbooks. Of course, she’s staring at her sketches. Minju.

She then remembered what Irene said, about her keeping the friendship with Minju intact. Groaning, she threw herself to her own bed, letting the sketchbook sprawl open beside her.

“I want ramen.” She declared to no one.

Walking out of her room, she went straight to her kitchen and opened the cabinets, searching for any ramen. Hyewon groaned out, seeing no sign of any ramen in her kitchen she muttered curses and what not while grabbing a jacket and her purse.

She quickly went out of her apartment and went straight to the elevator. Hoping to have ramen as soon as possible.

 

/

 

Minju stares at her phone, contemplating if she should send a message to Hyewon, or call her. Biting her lips, she decided to just wing it and hope for the best.

Hey, can we talk?

  • Minju

No reply.

Hyewon?

  • Minju

Waiting for a few minutes, Minju decided to call the girl. But to no avail, the line could not be connected. She groans out of frustration and threw her phone beside her. She’s running out of options what to do, and what could possibly happen.

Remembering the rumor, Minju rubs her face, Taeyong has not been replying to her ever since. It seems like the guy just wanted to make her life a living hell after she rejected him. And to think I thought he was decent.

Out of habit, she grabs her wrist to feel the bracelet that was given to her by Hyewon. She then remembered the painting in the exhibit. Minju does not want to assume anything, but the fact that the painting’s title is the same as the one written on the bracelet, and Hyewon’s explanation during one of their talks is exactly the same as the painting.

Chaewon also dragged her just to see that painting. Minju could not help but to feel a sense of familiarity toward the girl on the painting, despite her face being completely hidden.

Raising her wrist and staring at the bracelet, Minju could only sigh.

“Did she even go to her own apartment?” She asked herself.

Glancing at her phone, she just groaned out. I need a walk.

Grabbing her phone, she quickly went out of her apartment and locked it. Proceeding to the elevator, she patiently waited for it to reach the lobby.

At this moment, she currently lost all hope in talking to Hyewon or even seeing her. Minju can only pray that they would bump into each other tomorrow. Giving her some chance to explain everything to the girl. But she doesn’t even know that I know that she would confess right?

Blinking, that thought made her stop. Right, Hyewon has no idea that Minju is aware of her feelings, or was she just really that big-headed and assuming?

Quickly fishing out her phone, she searched for her best friend’s contact. As she walks out of the elevator, eyes still on her phone she quickly types a message. She was already out of the apartment when she was interrupted.

Where are –

Minju was surprised, as someone bumped into her causing her phone to slip from her hands.

“.”

She heard the person muttered under their breath, Minju just ignored her and quickly grabbed her phone from the ground thankful for the sturdy case she has.

Glancing at the person, she noticed an extensive number of instant noodles on the ground. Partly at fault, she crouched down to help the person, scooping some instant noodles and putting it in the bag.

“Thank you,” She heard the person, “I wasn’t really looking, sorry.”

Minju froze at her spot, looking up at the same time as the person.

“Hyewon?”

“Minju?”

They both said at the same time.

Scrambling to their feet, Hyewon quickly stepped back from the girl, making the latter frown.

“Long time no see.” Hyewon said, internally grimacing from her awkward tone.

“Yeah.” Minju said softly, “I visited your unit, but you were not there.”

Widening her eyes, Hyewon gulped.

“Oh, uhh – “ She stuttered, “We had a sleepover at Yujin’s apartment.”

Minju just nodded, now that Hyewon is literally in front of her, she just blanked out. Not sure what to say to the girl. Hyewon feeling the awkwardness between cleared .

“I think I should go now,” She said, raising her bag, “I haven’t had my dinner, so yeah.”

Minju nodded, “Right, of course.”

“Right.”

A beat.

“I’ll go now too.” Minju said and started walking away. A few steps already, she felt someone grabbing her wrist. Turning her around she saw Hyewon looking at her, biting her lips.

“You’re going out?”

“Just for a walk.” Minju softly replied, still staring at the hand grabbing her wrist.

Seeing where the girl is looking, Hyewon quickly pulled her hand from the girl, much to Minju’s disappointment.

Without second thoughts, Hyewon slipped of her jacket and put it around Minju’s shoulder, surprising the girl. Minju could not help but to blush at the girl’s action.

“It’s cold tonight,” Hyewon said softly, “You should wear warmer clothes.”

Gulping, Minju could only muster a nod. Hyewon just chuckled and gave her a small smile. Stepping back from the girl.

“Don’t stay out too late.” She smiled, “Take care.” With that said, she left Minju out and entered the apartment building.

Pair of hearts beating faster than normal, one was walking away as the other is rooted at her place. Minju could only stare at Hyewon’s frame until she entered the elevator.

Feeling the gust of wind, Minju quickly enveloped herself with the jacket given to her. Smelling the scent, somehow is reassures her that everything will be alright.

I just need to do some work and make everything alright.

 


A/N

LOL I just realized, they still haven't kissed in this story. :---(((