CHAPTER 5

Blending In

“What the .”

Hyewon quickly stood up from her bed, and went straight to the bathroom. All was good and peaceful until she looked at the time on her phone and saw that she only has 40 minutes until her first class starts.

Having a quick shower, she put on some clothes and brushed her hair hastily. Hyewon grabbed her bag and keys, putting her phone in her pocket. She immediately went out of her apartment and ran to her first class. I’m so dead.

“Unnie, what happened to you?”

Yujin stared at Hyewon condition. Panting, sweaty, and absolutely wrecked. This is a sight to behold for the younger girl, looking at the time, she noticed that Hyewon just clutch the hell out of this first class.

“Overslept.”

Raising her eyebrows, Yujin was about to when the older girl glared at her. Successfully shutting her up.

“Don’t.” Hyewon threatened. “I haven’t had my coffee.”

That’s Yujin’s cue to behave as much as possible. She decided to just annoy the older girl when she had her daily dose of coffee, for now, she’ll listen to their instructor who just arrived.

Hyewon is not having any of the discussion at the moment. Her mind is just not working at the moment, she still badly wants to sleep. Forcing herself to stay awake, she started to draw on the sides of her notes. Writing important terms from time to time. She looked beside her to see Yujin at her best behavior, getting proper notes. I’ll just borrow hers.

Spacing out, Hyewon remembered Minju. Their interaction last night. The smile on the girl’s face. Without her noticing it, she started to draw the girl’s silhouette from that night. It was a simple sketch on the side of her note, it could be a random girl. But when Yujin glanced at the older girl, she knew who the latter is drawing. Whipped.

“Important announcement people!” Ms. Choi said to the class, getting the attention of the students.

Smiling at them she proceeded to explain her plans for her class. Hyewon and Yujin listening intently.

“Ms. Kang and I are planning to combine your final project, so it would be easier for you guys.”

This caused a series of shouts and thank you’s from the students, making the instructor smile. Yujin and Hyewon glanced at each other, shrugging their shoulders waiting for Ms. Choi to continue.

“You are required to pass an artwork, whatever type of art or medium. It’s all up to you. And it would be put in an exhibit.”

“Is there a theme for this exhibit?” A random student asked, which earned a series of nods for an intellectual question.

“Great question,” Ms. Choi smiled, “Everyday life.”

 

///

 

“Unnie, you’re going to nail our project.”

“Shut up.”

Hyewon and Yujin are walking to the nearest café for the former to get her daily caffeine. With the announcement of their final project, Yujin has been pestering her on drawing a certain English major student. In which Hyewon is continuously shutting down the idea.

“Come on unnie!” Yujin exclaimed, “She’s perfect.”

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon entered the café which was followed by the younger girl. Grateful that there’s no line, she went to order her usual: the standard cappuccino, she asked Yujin if she would like one but the younger just shook her head.

Hyewon then moved to the side, waiting for her order. Yujin was still talking about the project, thinking of what she could possibly draw.

“Why don’t you draw Kura-unnie playing on her computer?” She jokingly suggested which earned a light smack.

“I want to pass this subject.” Yujin rolled her eyes.

“Yena eating kimbap?”

“Unnie!”

Laughing, Hyewon got her cappuccino and walked out of the café still busily talking to the younger girl giving suggestions for her project. She did not notice two pairs of eyes following the both of them.

“That’s her?”

“Yeah.” Minju nodded, “What do you think?”

“I think she’s a great neighbor to have.”

“She’s just really shy though.” The English student grumbled, which earned a laugh from her friend.

 

///

 

Finishing her last class for the day, Hyewon and Yujin gathered their things and exited the room. It was still early for Hyewon to go to the library seeing that it was still 2 in the afternoon. Yujin bid her farewell, not bothering to tag along with her since she wants to think about their final project.

“I can’t go with you today, unnie.” Yujin sadly said.

“As if I want you to.”

“Ouch, that’s harsh.” Yujin held her chest, acting like she’s been shot.

“Whatever,” Hyewon laughingly said, shooing the younger girl away. “Think about your project.”

“Yeah, good luck on your muse!” Before she could smack the younger girl, the latter immediately ran away from her shouting a loud goodbye, making Hyewon laugh.

She’s planning to just walk around the campus before going to the library, but then she found herself in front of it already. Sighing to herself, Hyewon decided to just enter and do what she can do to waste time.

“Hey Irene-unnie.” She greeted, making the librarian smile.

“Just by yourself?”

“Yeah.”

Hyewon noticed books on Irene’s desk, assuming that they needed to be sorted, she volunteered again. Irene was about to shake her head when Hyewon immediately put her bag down, grabbing a cart and putting the books on it. Leaving no room for protests.

“It’s too many.” Irene said.

“No, I can manage.” Hyewon said reassuringly, “I need something to do anyways.”

“Call me if you need help?” Irene asked the younger girl, with a look that says that she would not take no as an answer.

“Yes ma’am!” Hyewon said jokingly, and pushed the cart. Entering the main library, she looked at the first book she needs to sort. Psychology. Sighing, she pushed the cart going to at the end of the hall. Looking at the books, she noticed that most of them are on that section which would make her job easier.

Okay, time to do something productive. Hyewon starts sorting all the books on its proper places, using the ladder if needed. How can someone build a shelf this high?

Hyewon properly did her job, until she was down to 3 books. Looking at the books, she immediately walked over to the literature section. All in her own world, she went to the literature section looking for the right shelf of those books.

Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Jane Austen. Hyewon is familiar with the authors, but she didn’t have any clue what the books are about.

Sorting all of it, Hyewon looked at the last book and walked over to the other shelf. Scanning the rows of books, she sighed when she saw one book about to slip out. To think of it, she never imagined that she would be doing this kind of thing.

But at some point, she found this place and work relaxing. Which is why it definitely irks her to see a reckless student not properly putting a book on the bookshelf. They could have properly placed it there, sheez.

Pulling out the almost fallen book, she examined it if it has any damages. Breathing a sigh of relief to that the book is still intact, she immediately went to put it to right back to its place, looking up she was met another pair of eyes from the other side of the shelf.

A quiet yelp coming from her out of surprise, she quickly inserted the books she’s holding to the shelf. She looked at the time only to read that it’s already 3:45. How many books did I even –

“Are you okay?”

Gulping, Hyewon slowly turned around only to face a worried Minju. Of course, she knows she’s been watching the girl and drawing her enough to be familiar with those eyes. And now, the said girl probably has been weirded out by her.

What are the odds to see the girl again? Oh right, Hyewon went to the library specifically to see her. So of course, the odds would be high. Remembering that the girl is waiting for an answer, Hyewon quickly nodded her head.

“Ye -yeah, just surprised is all.” Hyewon stuttered out.

Minju laughed quietly, looking at the cart beside Hyewon. “You’re sorting out books?”

Following where she’s looking, Hyewon answered. “Yeah, don’t have anything to do.”

“Oh, so you’re a regular here in the library?”

No. “Yes.” Hyewon let out an awkward smile, “You could say that.” It’s all because of you.

“I thought so,” Minju smiled. “I’ve notice you a couple of times.”

She what?

“Excuse me?”

“I mean, I noticed you always sketching.” Minju shrugged.

“Oh, right.” Hyewon let out an awkward chuckle, “That would be me.”

Silence consumed them, with Hyewon looking around not knowing what to say while Minju just smiled. Not wanting to have another second of the awkwardness, the art student cleared .

“I need to give this back to Irene-unnie.”

“Oh, right.” Minju started to out of their space, to give Hyewon enough way. Smiling at Minju, Hyewon pushed the cart to Irene’s desk. Seeing her made the librarian smile.

“I told you to call me when you need help.” Irene said, smiling softly at Hyewon who just shook her head.

“It was manageable unnie, don’t worry.”

With raised eyebrows, Irene answered back. “Oh, I thought you asked Minju for help.” She said while looking behind Hyewon.

Hearing that, Hyewon quickly turned around to see that Minju followed her. She did not even notice the latter following her because she never even planned to interact with her. Gulping, Hyewon smiled.

“No, I just – we talked.” Hyewon said, unsurely. Seeing the curious gaze of Irene, she quickly went to put back the cart not wanting to show her blushing face.

Minju was just standing there observing the interaction of the two and staring at Hyewon, when Irene called her.

“Checking out?”

“Excuse me?”

This made the librarian smirk. “The book. Are you going to check out the book?”

Noticing the book she was holding, Minju blushed. “No, not this time.”

“If you say so.” Irene said, and noticed Hyewon coming back. She smiled at the student and grabbed the latter’s bag from her desk, giving it to her.

“Thank you for helping.”

“Anytime unnie.” Hyewon smiled. Irene then turned to look at Minju who was still standing there.

“Aren’t you going home Minju-ah?” Irene asked, surprising the girl. Minju was about to answer when the librarian cut her off.

“Hyewon is about to go, you guys should walk together.”

Confused, Hyewon cannot understand what Irene is trying to do. Irene glanced at her, giving her a smirk. The librarian pushing Minju away to get her bag at her table, Irene turned around to Hyewon.

“You’re too slow to make a move.”

“What?”

“Hyewon, I’m the librarian. Of course, I would notice that your visits match up with Minju.” Irene smirked. Hyewon could only let her jaw drop. Am I really that obvious?

“And, you are kind of a new face here in the library,” Irene shrugged, “So yeah, I definitely noticed it.”

Hyewon was about to speak when Minju arrived, now with her bag. Irene immediately smile and shooed them both away. Saying that she would close up soon. Liar, the library won’t close until 9pm.

Hyewon then looked at Minju who was walking beside her.

“So, where do you live?”

 

///

 

Apparently, Minju lives at another apartment, but still right along Hyewon’s street.

“Why are you moving?” Hyewon asked, trying to break the awkward silence.

“Oh, my current apartment is kind of,” Minju grimaced as she remembered her own apartment.

“That bad, huh?” Hyewon chuckled, earning a nod from Minju.

“Well, I think my apartment would be better.” A second after Hyewon blurted that out, she realized how it sounded, making her panic. She then sees Minju looking at her with wide eyes.

“I mean – the apartment building!” Hyewon explained, “You know, the apartment building you’re going to move in. Where I coincidentally live too.” She blushed, knowing that she’s rambling again. Good Lord, just take me with you.

She then heard a giggle coming from Minju. I take that back.

“I get what you’re saying,” Minju laughed, “You don’t have to explain.”

Hyewon was about to answer when she was interrupted by a shout from a distance.

“Kang Hyewon!”

Turning around, she saw Yena running towards her. Minju looked at the girl who just shouted, and saw how she trapped Hyewon in a headlock. She looked at the two amused.

Obviously, Yena did not notice the other girl beside Hyewon.

“I missed you!”

“We just saw each other earlier!” Hyewon said, slapping the arm off her.

“I still missed you.” Hearing a groan, she released the girl from her hold. Planning to about her muse.

“How’s your mu – “

Hyewon elbowed her hard.

“She’s you – “

A stomp on her feet.

“What the hell!” Yena whined, looking at her now dirty white sneakers. “I’m just going to ask you about – “

“Minju! This is my friend Yena!” Hyewon cut her off, turning Yena to the direction of the said girl. Yena was welcomed by a smile, and she let her jaw drop.

Yena looked at Minju then at Hyewon, then at Minju and at Hyewon. The latter elbowing her again.

“ing talk.” She hissed under her breath.

“Nice to meet you!” Yena exclaimed rather loudly, making Hyewon grimace.

Minju could only laugh at the entertaining interaction of the two friends.

“Nice to meet you too.” She smiled.

“I’ve seen so much about you!” Yena said, and smiled glancing at her friend who was about to explode.

“Oh, re – “

Hyewon pulled Yena away and pushed the latter at the other direction. “Looks like you need to go!”

“What, but I just got here!”

“You need to go.” Hyewon emphasized, and with a last push left Yena. She quickly went to Minju and grabbed the girl’s wrist.

“I’m really sorry about her,” Hyewon apologized. “She’s kind of – “

“Energetic?”

“That’s one way to say it.” Hyewon smiled. Looking around, she realized that they’ve reached Minju’s apartment. She smiled and turned around only to see Minju looking down.

Curious, she followed her gaze. And oh, she’s looking at their hands. Specifically, at Hyewon’s hand holding Minju’s wrist. Hyewon pulled her hand quickly and blushed.

“I’m sorry!”

“No, it’s fine.” Minju smiled at the girl who was still apologizing. “Thank you.”

Hyewon rubbed the back of her neck out of awkwardness and embarrassment. “Welcome.”

The both of them were just pretty much standing there, doing nothing. Until Hyewon moved.

“So, I’ll go now.” She said unsurely.

Minju nodded her head, “Yeah, yeah. Sorry for the inconvenience.”

“Don’t worry, I needed the exercise anyway.” Hyewon jokingly said, making Minju giggle.

Nodding her head, Hyewon started to walk away. Contemplating her life choices, not until she heard the other girl calling for her. Turning around, she sees Minju walking towards her.

“Yes?”

“Uhm, can you help me?”

Confused, Hyewon furrowed her eyebrows. “What?”

“I’ll be moving apartments by the weekend.” Minju shyly said, making Hyewon squeal internally. “Can you help me carry the boxes?”

This made Hyewon beam, nodding her head. “Sure! Just tell me what time and day you’d be moving!”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’ll be happy to help!” She exclaimed, rather too enthusiastically for her liking.

And that’s how Hyewon walked back to her apartment with a wide smile plastered on her face.