CHAPTER 14

Blending In

“Just go there, or we’re going to be late.” Chaewon said as she pushes Minju to the cafeteria.

“I don’t know what to say.”

“Seriously,” Chaewon exasperated, “Just ask for her number, that’s it.”

After Minju asked Hyewon for helped yesterday, and amazingly forgot to ask the girl’s number, she did not mean to rant about it to her best friend the next day. Minju’s not even sure why it was a big deal, maybe it’s because seeing Hyewon is not as simple since the girl is sometimes not in the library.

And so, lunch time Chaewon saw that Hyewon is with her friends eating in the cafeteria. Insisting Minju to just approach the girl to ask for her number. Minju thinks she’s just being silly; she could ask the girl another time.

“Minju, if I hear you whine again about not getting her number, I’m going to smack you.” Chaewon said irritated, “Now, go.”

With a strong push, Minju knows her best friend would beat her if she really doesn’t get her number. I’m not that irritating.

So maybe, that’s how Minju got Hyewon’s number. Approaching their table, it seems like the group of friends are talking about something serious. Until she reached them, they all stopped talking and had a grin on their faces.

It was great now that Minju finally knows Hyewon’s friends, but it became even better when she got the girl’s number. Walking out of the cafeteria, Minju could not help but to stare at the new contact on her phone.

“Stop staring and walk faster.” Minju heard Chaewon, and the latter dragged her to their class.

 

//

 

Maybe Minju is being stupid, she’s been contemplating if she should text Hyewon for the whole day now. Even though she won’t be moving until the weekend. But she just wants to text the girl, and she’s not even sure why or what to text.

Which is why Wednesday morning, she texted Chaewon that she would drop by her apartment so that they could walk together and have breakfast. She just needs to keep herself distracted.

Going out of her own apartment, she started her journey to Chaewon’s apartment. Thinking what she would eat for breakfast. The distraction is really effective, until it’s not. Because as soon as she raised her head, she saw Hyewon’s familiar back walked ahead of her.

Should I text her? Minju thought, as she stared at the girl who seems to be staring at the ground. What’s interesting about the ground?

Smiling, moving be damned. Minju texted the girl. She looked at Hyewon reading her message but ignored it right after. Minju could not help but to pout. Oh, I didn’t save my number.

She types another message, hoping that the girl would reply. But to no avail, Hyewon just stopped walking and seems to be panicking. Minju decided to just show herself. Maybe I could just ask Chaewon to buy some take out.

“Hi.” Minju said as she approached the girl.

That’s how Minju saw herself walking with Hyewon. The walk was quiet at first but Minju decided to ask some answerable questions. Learning that the girl’s class would be starting at 10, while hers would be starting at 12.

And when Hyewon asked why she’s too early to go to the university, Minju panicked internally. I was actually supposed to go to Chaewon and have breakfast.

But she chose to answer vaguely, which she knows she earned a confused look from the art student. But Minju just brushed it off. She somehow hates that their walk is too short, so when they reached their campus, Minju saw from a distance Hyewon’s tall friend – Yujin, she remembered.

Spontaneously, Minju just had a burst of honesty and blurted out “I was hoping to walk with you.”

Realizing what she said, she did not hesitate to walk away, hoping to hide her blush from the girl. What the hell did I just say?

 

//

“You ditched me.” Chaewon bluntly said, “To walk with her, and may I add, 3 hours early for our class.”

“I’m sorry!” Minju guiltily said, pouting at her best friend who just rolled her eyes.

“Minju, you know I’d accept you right?” Chaewon sighed.

“What do you mean?

“Oh God, you’re not even aware.”

“What?”

//

 

Minju is bothered by what Chaewon said to her, but she’s much more bothered by what she said to Hyewon. She hopes she won’t be seeing the girl because it feels like she humiliated herself. Who would blurt out those words? To an acquaintance of all people. I don’t even know if we’re friends.

So, when Ms. Kang’s class started, Minju was trying her best not to think about an art student and focus on this subject. Every time she thinks about the event that morning, she just wants to combust and vanish into thin air.

At some point, Minju is being successful on focusing on Ms. Kang. Then the instructor reminded them about their paper, which in result Minju got hers from her bag. She felt Chaewon nudging her, and looking at the girl, her best friend is pointing something in front.

Turning her head, she saw Ms. Kang looking at the door as if waiting for someone. By now, everyone’s attention is at the door. Then Minju saw that familiar clothes stumbling inside the classroom, followed by familiar faces.

With wide eyes, Minju stared at the four girls in front of the class. She noticed how the 3 girls scanned the room and laid her eyes on her. She smiled awkwardly at them, until Ms. Kang asked them to introduce themselves.

Sakura, Yena, and Yujin did not have a hard time on introducing themselves. With this, Minju concluded that Hyewon is naturally shy. She almost let out a laugh when Yujin pulled the hood out of the girl’s face, earning her a glare.

After successfully introducing herself, Minju let out a small smile and stared at the girl. Hyewon then turned her head to her direction, Minju was about to wave when Hyewon quickly averted her gaze. Did she not see me?

Minju stared as Hyewon was about to go to the other side when she was pulled by Sakura to collect the folders on their side. The art student was about to approach her, Minju not wanting it to be awkward just said the first thing on her mind.

“You’re really helpful, huh?” Did that sound awkward?

Minju saw the surprised look on the girl’s face, and hearing her answer made the English major panic.

“But you’ll still help me, right? In moving.” Minju asked, not caring if she sounds too hopeful.

And then Hyewon nodded giving Minju assurance, then the next second she was leaving with her friends as they carry the folders with them.

“What was that Minju?”

“Oh, she’s going to be my new neighbor, I asked for her help when I move.” Minju explained with a smile.

“Seems like you were flirting.” That made Minju stop, she’s not flirting right? To a girl? She was just –

“No, I’m not.” Munju shrugged, “I was just being friendly.” Right, she was just being friendly.

“Whatever. Don’t forget Taeyong is still courting you.”

And Minju groaned remembering that guy.  Not wanting to talk about him, she just wants Chaewon to drop the subject.

 

///

 

So maybe Minju just really wants to be friends with Hyewon. Which is why she’s going out of her comfort zone and is approaching the girl every time she sees an opportunity. And it seems going great for what she could see.

Because when she approached the art student one Thursday in a secluded part of the library, she managed to get a decent conversation. Though it may not start well, but it progressed really good. Admitting that she was looking for the girl about the moving, but she just wants to talk to her.

Then Friday rolled out, Minju waited for the girl at the library during lunch time. But Hyewon did not show up, which makes her a tad bit disappointed. After seeing Hyewon under that tree during one of her classes, she just wants to talk to the girl.

But then after classes, she saw the girl. The surprising sight that Hyewon is not sketching but rather sleeping. Biting her lips, she decided to take a set at the girl’s table. Pulling out a chair, she sat and glanced at the sleeping girl.

Minju smiled to herself, not wanting to interrupt Hyewon’s sleep she decided to do some work. Then Hyewon woke up. Minju did not know what has gotten into her but her curiosity would kill her someday.

“Can I see some?” She blurted out.

“What?”

“Your sketches.”

And she knows Hyewon was about to say no, making Minju talk again. Of course, you don’t just ask someone to see their sketches. Minju wants to deny it, but she could not help but to feel disappointed.

Which is why when she saw the time, she’s thankful that it’s reasonable to go back to her apartment. Until Hyewon decided to go with her. It helped to ease the disappointment a bit. Just a tad bit.

Minju knows she does not hold grudges, especially to those people who has never done anything to her. It’s not like she would hate someone so suddenly, or the sight of that person. Especially not when the said person is someone that Minju knows for a long time.

But it’s just really weird seeing Irena and Hyewon interact with each other. It’s like they are really familiar, which maybe made Minju jealous. She hopes she could be like that with Hyewon, so maybe that’s that. She hopes to have a friendship with Hyewon.

She wanted to talk to Hyewon during their walk, but Minju feels like there’s a lump in . Until again, her curiosity would seriously kill her.

“You’re close with Irene-unnie?” Isn’t that obvious enough?

After hearing Hyewon’s answer, Minju just wanted to let the conversation stop. She didn’t talk until she reached her apartment. She wonders why Hyewon did not went straight to hers, but to each their own.

Saying a quiet good bye, MInju started walking to her apartment. Until the art student called her back. And then oh, what did she say? A welcome gift? Moving tomorrow?

Hearing Hyewon, Minju could not help but to beam. All the negative emotions from earlier vanished as if it was not present. Maybe that’s why Minju meant it when she said she was looking forward for it.

 

///

 

Everything is going great, having Hyewon to help her with moving in. Spending time with the latter, knowing things about her. Minju never thought that she would need this friendship until now.

But to top it all, Hyewon gave her a sketch. Minju was ecstatic to receive it from the girl, and to think that she only drew that when she was 10. Minju hopes to see Hyewon’s other artworks.

So, after a long ponding, she decided to visit the girl on a Sunday. Asking the person on the lobby for her unit number. Minju was contemplating, what if Hyewon is not free and all that? But then, the latter agreed to her, making Minju smile. Already looking forward for the day.

Sunday would have been the best day ever, spending all day with Hyewon. Amazing. Unforgettable. Minju would love to do it again. Until Taeyong came into the picture.

Making the atmosphere somber all of the sudden, Minju does not know what she did, or if she even did anything. This is all because of you, Taeyong.

So, when Hyewon left the elevator not waiting for an explanation Minju just stared at her figure with a heavy heart.

“I already rejected him.”