CHAPTER 12

Blending In

Kim Minju is someone that people would always notice all because of her visuals and the aura she exudes. Even though she didn’t ask for it, it seems like everyone’s attention is on her. But she didn’t much think of it and just continued on with her life, which makes more people drawn to her.

She tried to just go on with her life, reading books and hanging out with her friends. But it seems like people would always like to get her attention, approaching her every once in a while, to ask how she’s doing despite not knowing each other personally. But of course, Minju would always answer it with a polite smile.

She could not walk along the hallway without anyone greeting her, which is why she always find herself in the library. One thing she loves in this university is the library, the number of books it has, especially the literature ones. Minju could say that she’s a regular here in the library.

She loves the peaceful atmosphere it gives, and the fact that not much people approach her. Most people in the library are busy sleeping or either studying. Though there would still be people who would talk to her, but it’s manageable.

Which is why Minju found herself in the library one Tuesday since she just wants to read to herself and not be approached by anyone. She could say that she’s in those anti-social mood. But of course, luck is not on her side since there was this one guy – she doesn’t know who he is, who approached her to ask her for lunch. Which of course, she rejected.

Sometimes being a regular in the library has its downfall, since people would know her hiding place. But Minju just lives with it, since Irene-unnie, the librarian, is strict. Maybe she scares them off.

Its perks would be that she would be familiar with all of the people and the same goes with them, and she would always have her usual spot. Her favorite spot. Maybe that’s the reason why she noticed the new face that entered the library.

Oh, she’s new. Minju looked at the girl, who seems to be studying the interior of the place. Of course, the interior of the library should be appreciated. Minju also did that when she first step foot in the library.

Out of her peripheral vision, she saw the girl taking a seat on the table maybe two to three tables away from her. Focusing on her book, she was disturbed again when she heard something on the girl’s table.

Pencils? Sketch – oh, she must be an art student. Minju thought. Straying away her gaze she continued to read again. To Kill a Mockingbird. Classic. A Requirement in her class.

Until someone approached her. Again. A nervous guy, and Minju could just internally groan.

“Hi Minju-ssi, I know you may not know me.” The guy started, and Minju hopes that she does not look bored.

“But maybe I could ask you out for lunch one of these days?” The guy questions, with a hopeful tone.

But then, Minju rejected his offer. She just smiles at the guy apologetically as he leaves. She then noticed the time, sighing she closed the book she’s reading and gathered her things. Walking away but not without glancing to the new face of the library.

 

///

 

Minju did not go to the library the next day because of her classes. That’s her routine, she just goes there on specific days and on specific times. Sitting on her usual table. The only thing that’s changing are the books that she read, and the people that approach her.

“How is it with Taeyong?”

Minju rolls her eyes at the question, “Nothing.”

“You rejected him, right?” Her best friend Chaewon asked.

“Absolutely, but I guess he just doesn’t get it.” Minju shrugged her shoulders, not wanting to talk about the guy.

Chaewon decided to drop the subject and Minju just started to read again. Until she saw the girl – the art student from before. Sitting on her previous table. Minju did not notice that she was staring until Chaewon asked her something.

Answering the question, Minju glanced back at the art student who already started sketching again. Minju could only smile, the girl seems so focused on her art. She’s passionate.

“Hey, MInju-ssi, Chaewon-ssi.” Minju turned her head to see another unknown guy talking to them. She just smiled and discreetly nudge her best friend to talk in behalf of her.

“I’d like to take you – “

“Oh sorry, we’re kind of busy right now. Maybe next time.” Chaewon said with a tone of finality.

This shut the guy up and nodded his head smiling awkwardly, Minju could only stifle her laugh at her best friend’s cold answer.

“That’s savage.”

“He’s annoying.”

Minju has been glancing at the art student from time to time, curiosity killing her with what the art student seems to be sketching. Trying to focus on her book, she was startled by the bell. She then heard the art student gathering her things. She must have classes.

“She’s new.” Minju heard her best friend.

“Who?”

“That girl.” Chaewon pointed out the art student who Minju was observing.

Minju smiled and shrugged her shoulders, “I think so.” And she continued reading.

 

//

 

Minju started to notice the art student, well she actually already noticed her the first time. But this time, her eyes would always stray away from her book to the art student. The latter always engrossed in her sketchpad. The sight amuses her, she wants to know what the art student sees.

She tried approaching the girl, but she does not want to interrupt her. That’s why she just opted to just look at the girl from time to time. Always reminding herself not to stare and be obvious. Is this creepy?

 

//

 

“Chaewon, I’ll just go to the library.” Minju said standing up. “I need to return this book.”

The girl just nodded her head as she was busy writing, muttering a quiet take care.

Minju was walking to the library when she started to wonder about the art student. She’s been observing the girl for some time now, and it always amazes her that the student would be there every time she’s in the library.

“Minju!”

Turning around, Minju internally groaned, forcing herself to smile she greeted the person.

“Taeyong, hey.” She greeted rather unenthusiastically.

“I just want to ask you if we could get some lunch? Or dinner?”

Grimacing at the idea, “Taeyong, sorry I’m not interested.” She rejected the guy already, how many rejections does she need to say to get it inside his head?

“Oh, maybe next time then.” He smiled, thinking that it was charming for Minju.

“No, I mean tha – “

“I gotta go now!” Taeyong cut her off and ran to the other direction for his class.

I’m not interested to get anything with you. Minju thought rubbing her face. She just continued her journer to the library. Thankful that there’s not much people around, indicating that they all have classes, Minju managed to get to the library in 5 minutes.

Entering the library, Minju smiled at the librarian who acknowledged her with a nod.

“I’ve finished it already, thank you.” Minju said and gave the book Irene, followed by her library card.

As Irene is checking the book, Minju noticed a figure on the side. The girl seems to be returning a cart of some sort, and checking something. Not minding her, Minju looks around the library wanting to find something interesting when some voice caught her attention.

“Unnie, I’ll go now.”

Minju turned her head to see the girl before, is actually the art student that she always sees. Minju was staring at the latter who is getting her bag near the librarian’s desk.

“Thank you, Minju-ah, here’s your card.”

This snapped Minju and turned to Irene who was handing her card. Giving a grateful smile, she turned to look at the art student only to see the girl already looking at her.

Minju oddly felt nervous when the said girl was staring for a good 3 seconds with a blank face. She doesn’t even remember if she did something wrong to the girl, when the latter suddenly bowed rather too deeply that Miinju’s back ached for the girl.

Minju followed the girl with her eyes who was quickly walking out of the library.

“She’s just a quiet girl.” She heard Irene said.

“Yeah, I’ve noticed.”

Of course, she has noticed it already. She has seen the girl a number of times already, and all the time she would just draw on her sketchpad. Not caring about the world. It was like she was in her own, creating a world of her own.

Minju smiled and walked out of the library. But tries to wipe off her smile but her mind keeps replaying what happened earlier. Which is the reason Chaewon found her weird during their class.

“Why are you smiling?” Chaewon whispered.

Minju pursed her lips trying to hide her smile and act nonchalantly, “I’m excited to go home.”

“Yeah, to your broken apartment.” Chaewon rolled her eyes and listened to the lecture.

Minju just ignored the girl, listening to the lecture but her mind keeps straying to the art student.

 

///

 

Oh, she got a book. Minju thought, noticing that the art student didn’t pull out her sketchpad and pencil like before. She also noticed that the girl looks like she didn’t have much sleep. What book did she get?

Unfortunately, Minju could not read the book’s title disappointing her a little bit. Not wanting to be obvious, she decided to focus on her own book. She was just relaxing by this time which is why she decided to read some YA book. The Fault in Our Stars.

Minju is already aware of how the ending would be, but of course, she still feels the emotions. Even though the book is cliché, she hopes that she would meet her own Augustus Waters. Except for the dying part. And I’m absolutely sure that it is not Taeyong.

Glancing at the art student, she saw that the girl is spacing out making her chuckle a little. Few minutes passed, and Minju noticed that the art student standing up. Oh, does she have classes?

As the art student was gathering her things, a rather tall and grinning girl was approaching her from behind. Curious, Minju watch silently the two. She saw them talking, the art student seems to know the tall girl. Is she her friend?

Noticing that the art student is uncomfortable of their conversation, Minju went back to read her book. But she saw the glance of the tall girl to her direction. Are they talking about me?

Minju was trying not to look at their direction, especially when the art student walked to a shelf to return a book. She decided not to watch seems it is a serious conversation, not until she heard a loud screech.

Raising her head, Minju saw how the art student was harshly saying something to the tall girl who seems unbothered judging by her grin. She saw how the art student groaned and gathered her things. Then out of the blue, she looked at Minju’s direction.

Minju was surprised to say the least, but she hopes it didn’t show in her face. She then noticed the tall girl also looking and started jumping slightly, which amuses her. The art student quickly pulled the girl away and walked out of the library.

Minju followed them with her eyes, the art student’s eyes in her mind. The tall girl’s grin. Their interaction. Odd girl. She could not help but to chuckle.

 

//
 

“You’re seriously into going to the library.” Chaewon said with raised eyebrows.

“I always go there.” Minju shrugged her shoulders, “Why?”

“Nothing,” Chaewon stared at the girl as if she’s observing Minju’s reaction, “You always have this smile after you go to the library.”

“Books make me happy.”

“Sure, whatever you say Minju.”

 

//

 

Minju does not really notice people, especially those in other majors. People come and go, every people who tried asking her out for lung or hang out are not in her memory. She doesn’t have time to memorize all of them.

Which is why it was weird for her to notice the art student the first time she saw her in the library. Then the second time, third, fourth. She doesn’t even know her name, nor did the girl approach her. It was like, the art student became a constant character in Minju’s life.

So, every Friday Minju would go to the library on lunch time before her class. She is somehow hoping that the art student is there, unsure why she was hoping for that. Entering the library, she nodded her head to the librarian and went straight to her own table.

No sign of the art student. Minju thought and frowned out of disappointment, she just decided to read the book that she brought with her since they are required to do some paper about it. I love Ms. Kang but damn, this book.

She was so into the book, focusing on the main points that she could elaborate on her paper when a certain art student arrived. Oh, she’s with other people.

The only girl she was familiar with was the tall girl, the other two are new. One with a shoulder-length hair who somehow looks like Japanese, Oh, wow she looks like a doll. The other one, looks like she’s pouting. She oddly looks like a duck.

Not wanting to be caught staring, Minju focused on her book again. But glancing from time to time, it seems like the art student’s friends are annoying her. She’s trying to focus, really, but she could not help but to feel nervous especially when she felt that the three girls glanced at her table. Did I do something wrong?

Shaking that thought, Minju decided not to glance over the other table again. But her focus is not on her book, not when she felt that the girls are glancing at her table from time to time. Minju could not take it anymore, she looked at the time and decided it was time for her to go.

She stood up and walked to a bookshelf to return the book, returning to her table only to see that the art student’s table is already unoccupied. Oh, they have classes?

Grabbing her things, she walked out of the library saying a small ‘thank you’ to Irene. Minju was about to go to her classroom when she felt someone falling to her, grabbing the person by the shoulder she tried to balance her.

“Ouch…” Minju muttered quietly, still not seeing the person’s face.

“, I’m so sorry!”

That voice. Minju looked up to see the art student bowing repeatedly and the sight just amused Minju.

“My friends are…”

Minju was staring at the girl, who was also stared back at her. Sensing that the art student will not continue, Minju decided to talk.

“Hey.”

The art student then continued on her ramblings again, apologizing to Minju repeatedly. The latter wants to stop the girl to apologize, but her voice is just calming. But is seems like the art student is really guilty, and Minju wants to put her out of her misery.

“It’s okay.” She replied softly, “I’m Minju.” Might as well introduce myself.

Minju offered her hand but the girl was just staring at it. Is it dirty? She was about to retract her hands when she heard

“I know who you are.” What? Did I hear that right?

“Excuse me?”

Then the art student suddenly grabbed her hand to shake. Surprising Minju. Oh wow, her hands are soft. Woah, weird though Kim Minju.

“Kang Hyewon.” Finally, a name! Minju thought smiling internally, “Nice to meet you.”

“Yes, nice to meet you too.” Minju replied, “But I think I need my hand.” She decided to joke.

But Hyewon, yes Minju finally has her name, quickly pulled her hand making Minju disappointed. Which she thought is weird. Until the girl started to apologize again.

“No, it’s alright.” Minju said trying to reassure the girl, “But I need to go now, I have classes now.” Minju said and walked away she said her farewell to the girl who was only waving at her.

Minju does not want to admit it, but she’s not looking forward to her class right now. No idea why.

 

//

 

“Chaewon,” Minju whispered to the girl.

“Hm?”

“Do you know any Kang Hyewon?”

Chaewon raised her head to look at the girl beside her, Minju was writing her notes not wanting to get the instructors attention. Kang Hyewon? She thought of the name, and nothing comes to her mind.

“No, don’t have any idea.” She answered, “Why?”

“Nothing.” Minju shook her head, Chaewon furrowed her eyebrows, confused with her best friend.

 


A/N

The next 2 chapters will be in Minju's POV, but it won't be detailed like Hyewon's. So yeaaah, take care y'all!