CHAPTER 19

Blending In

Hyewon woke up from the noise coming at the living room, remembering that she lives alone she quickly ran out of her room only to see three of her friends at her kitchen looking for foods.

“What the hell are you doing?” Hyewon said voice still laced with sleep.

“Kwangbae! Don’t you have food?” Yena shouts, as the other two are still rummaging inside her fridge.

“And don’t you have your own kitchen?” She yawned, “How did you guys even get in?”

“You gave me a spare, remember?” Yujin says, snack in hand. Is that a chocopie?

“Please give us a spare key too.” Sakura voice out holding a banana in her hand.

“What are you guys doing here?” Hyewon rubbed her face.

“We need to give our piece to Ms. Kang before classes,” Yujin said, “So, we’re here to pick you up.”

“And you didn’t even send us a picture of it.” Sakura points out.

Out of nowhere, Hyewon sees someone running past her. Following the person quickly only to see Yena gawking at her room. Specifically, the paintings she has on the side.

“Damn, Kwangbae.” Yena said in awe, “You outdid yourself.”

Hyewon was about to talk when another body pushed past her, Sakura already looking at the paintings. And another. , they really love pushing me in the morning.

Then the three are talking about her paintings, as if Hyewon is not in the room.

“, she’s so in love.” Sakura gushed out.

“Don’t use that term, unnie!” Yujin said, “Let’s use whipped.”

“Damn, look at this,” Yena points out, “What the hell.”

Hyewon just stares at the three with her jaw dropped, shaking her head she took out some clothes from her closet.

“I’ll just go take a shower,” Hyewon announces, “Don’t ruin the painting!”

A chorus of ‘yes’ was heard, and that’s her cue to take a shower.

 

//

 

“So, what are you going to bring?” Sakura asks, as the four them stares at the paintings with all of the same subject. Minju.

All dressed up for classes, Hyewon grabbed a cloth big enough to cover her piece. Getting the first ever painting she had of Minju.

“This.” Hyewon shrugs.

“You know Kwangbae,” Yena frowns, studying the painting, “If people look enough, they’ll know who that is.”

“But they don’t look enough.” Hyewon scoffed. She then wrapped the painting with the cloth properly, tying it with a thread. Successfully covering her piece and protecting it from any possible dirt. She then looks at Yujin and asks.

“How about yours?”

Yujin beamed and ran out of her room, the three followed her and they saw her unwrapping her own painting. She flipped the painting to show it the older girls, and they could only smile softly.

“You did it beautifully.” Sakura genuinely said, walking closer to the painting followed by the two.

“Woah.” Yena could only say a single syllable, completely amazed by the younger girl.

Hyewon walks to the painting. A painting of a familiar neighborhood, where the four of them lived when they were young. In the middle of the road, four little girls are standing with their back facing.

The four of them knows who those girls are, with the girl sporting her favorite duck toy, the one beside holding an old controller, the taller girl with her arms around the one holding a paint brush. What really made it beautiful are the shadows of the girls, now already grown up.

Maybe Yujin was right, she really made her tear up Hyewon. The latter letting out a small soft smile and looked at Yujin grinning at the three of them. Hyewon could not help but to ruffle her hair.

“You did great.”

 

///

 

The four of them walked together to the university, with the three girls pestering Hyewon what happened yesterday and how she would confess today. The older art student wants to ignore them, but seeing that they won’t stop any moment, she just decided to tell a short version.

“Okay, you guys keep it down.” Hyewon exasperatedly says, “I’ll just tell the short version.”

“Betetr than nothing.” Yujin shrugs.

“So, we met at the library yesterday. Then she suggested to eat some lunch.” Hyewon started, glaring at Yena who was about to speak.

“Then , we should go to the café by the way. It was amazing.” Hyewon gushes out, “Then after that, maybe it was a spur of the moment thing you know?” Hyewon smiles remembering what happened.

“But I just asked her to go to the beach, since I missed it. You know we always go to the beach near our neighborhood when we were young right? So yeah, I asked her then she agreed. Thank God.”

“What happened in the beach?” Sakura asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

Hyewon smacked the older girl, “Stop being weird.”

“Anyway, we just walked and talked. Nothing much.” Hyewon says, “I was about to confes right then and there, but I decided not to.”

“Why?” Yujin asks, completely confused.

“Well, we’re in a beach. So, if I get rejected, the ride home would be really awkward.” Hyewon shrugs.

The three girls stare at her hearing her answer. Hyewon feeling their stare looks at them and raised her eyebrows.

“Good decision, my young padawan.” Sakura quietly said, while patting Hyewon’s head.

“You actually used your brain for once.” Yena whispers, earning a slap on her arm.

“Shut up,” Hyeown rolled her eyes and pulls Yujin, “We’re going to give this to Ms. Kang.”

“Bye unnies!” Yujin shouts and waves at the two who waved back.

 

//

 

Knocking softly on the faculty room, Yujin poked her head at the slightly open door and smiled when she saw Ms. Kang. The instructor noticing one of her students, beamed and gestured for her to come in.

The younger girl then pulled Hyewon inside pushing her to go first.

“Good morning Ms. Kang.” Hyewon bowed to the older woman.

“Hi, Hyewon-ssi and Yujin-ssi.” Ms. Kang smiled, and noticing the canvas that they are holding, “You’re going to pass your piece?”

The two nodded at the question, Ms. Kang then turned her chair to get a paper and walked over to the two.

“Write a short description here and the title,” Ms. Kang passed the paper to two, “Can I see it?”

The two nodded again, and the older woman grabbed the two paintings. Opening Yujin’s first, the younger girl feeling nervous on her reaction or any comment.

“This is a beautiful one Yujin-ssi.” Ms. Kang expressed, staring at the painting. She then diverted her gaze to the younger girl, “You really captured it well.”

Yujin let out a sigh of relief. Hearing Ms. Kang’s compliment just made her two times confident about her painting. It’s like an assurance coming from God that she really did. Noticing that Ms. Kang’s already unwrapping Hyewon’s, she turned to look at the older girl who was watching.

Hyewon hopes that Ms. Kang would not be familiar with the girl, it’s not like it is very evident or obvious in her painting. But just like what her friends say, if people look closely enough, they would know. And Ms. Kang is an art teacher. Please, don’t look closely.

Facing the painting to her, Ms. Kang stares at it. Two simple colors greeting her, black and white. But with different variations of each, she squints her eyes to stare at the silhouette of the girl. Feeling a bit of mystery surrounding her. Oh, that –

She raises her eyebrows and looks at the artist in front of her who is watching her.

“You do know that this is going to an exhibit?” She asks.

Hyewon gulps and nodded. Oh, of course she’d know. Stupid.

“And all students would most probably see this, right?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Ms. Kang just smiles, “You really did her justice Hyewon-ssi.”

Hyewon widened her eyes in surprise, making the instructor laugh. The latter then turned around to grab their paintings and put it to the side. Hyewon is still surprised, until she earned a nudge.

“Hey, let’s write our descriptions.” Yujin whispered, “Ms. Kang’s right. So, don’t be surprised.”

“What?”

“You really an artist.”

And Hyewon smiles, feeling really accomplished. She slaps the younger girl lightly, and proceeded to write her description.

They spent 5 minutes just to write a proper description for their paintings, asking one another what they should write, and other ideas. Asking Ms. Kang’s suggestions. Finishing it, Hyewon passed her paper to their instructor followed by Yujin.

The younger girl looking at Hyewon’s paper. Raising her eyebrows and looking at the older girl.

“Don’t. We’re going to be late.” She quickly said, preventing Yujin to say anything. Pulling the younger girl out, they both bowed to the older woman. The latter confused, she looked at what Hyewon wrote.

TITLE: Ab imo pectore

DESCRIPTION: In life, there would always be darkness until a certain event would give light to your surroundings.

Turning her chair to look at the young student’s painting, she chuckles. From the bottom of my heart.

“Is she confessing to her?” Ms. Kang whispered to herself, “She even used the exhibit.”

 

///

 

Hyewon and Yujin are fixing their things since their class is already finished. The younger girl didn’t even sleep a wink, which is great. But Yujin the whole duration of the class, Hyewon was really close to slap the girl.

“Yujin, I won – “

“Library?” Yujin cuts her off, smiling widely at the older girl.

“Yeah, but I’ll get some sandwich before I go there.”

“Will you confess right now?”

“No.” Hyewon quickly shakes her head, “And will you please keep it down!” She hissed.

“When will you – “

“After her last class.” Hyewon said with finality in he rvoice, and pulled the younger girl to walk faster to the cafeteria.

 

//

 

Hyewon sat down with her other friends, who are already eating. Opening her sandwich, Yujin opened the topic again about her confession. For the love of Sappho.

“Hyewon-unnie would confess after lunch. When Minju-unnie’s classes are finished.” She announced at their table. Sakura and Yena quickly looked at her, their eyes with an obvious teasing glint.

“Can we watch?” Yena excitedly asks.

“No.”

“Can you do some live video for us?” Sakura suggested.

“Absolutely not.”

“Don’t be so boring unnie!” The younger art student pouted.

Hyewon knows that they are only teasing her, but she could not take it anymore. It makes her more nervous, with that said, she quickly shoved the sandwich in and drank some water. Grabbing her bag, she left the table.

“Kwangbae! Update us, alright?” Yena shouted.

Hyewon is sure that the three of her friends are having the time of their lives. Just you guys wait when you like someone.

 

///

 

Minju has been contacting Taeyong since the morning, wanting to cancel their supposedly ‘date’. But the guy is not even responding.

She’s been stressed since she got home from her and Hyewon’s really great hang out yesterday. She hopes the latter considers it a date because damn hell, Minju considers it one.

So, now she’s currently in the library, waiting for Hyewon as she types a message to Taeyong.

Let’s not proceed with later

  • Minju

“.” She whispers to herself when the guy didn’t even reply.

“Who are you cursing?” She quickly hid her phone and looked up, only to see Hyewon looking at her curiously.

“No one.” Minju answers. “Just some, idiot.” She shrugs her shoulder.

“If you say so.” Hyewon laughs and pulled out her sketchbook. Grateful that she chose to bring a new one, and leave the other – which is full of sketches of Minju, at home.

This caused the English major to raise her eyebrows, “You’re going to sketch?”

“Yes ma’am!” Hyewon salutes making Minju chuckle.

“You look happy.”

“I am.” Hyewon said softly, and somehow the look that she’s giving to Minju makes the latter giddy inside.

“That’s great.”

“I’ll just get a book then.” She announces, Hyewon looks up and nodded her head letting her eyes follow the other girl.

Hyewon then started her sketch, of course forcing herself not to sketch Minju who just sat down after getting a book. She looked up to see her smile at her, which she returned.

They sat there in complete silence, only the sound of pencil against paper and the flipping of pages are heard around them. Each of them in their own world, and at the same time aware of each other.

They would glance at each other from time to time, with Minju trying to peek on what Hyewon’s sketching. But the latter’s hand is moving fast which makes her unsuccessful.

Feeling her phone vibrate, she looks at the time which indicates that she should go now. She didn’t know that time would fly so fast.

Noticing this, Hyewon stopped her sketch giving it her finishing touches and looked up.

“Time to go?” She asks.

“Unfortunately.”  Minju grumbles, she stood up and grabbed her things until she heard a ripping of paper. She turned to see what Hyewon’s doing.

The latter just ripped the paper off from her sketchbook and gave it to Minju.

“Here.”

Minju blinks at the paper being offered, she gingerly held it and turned to look at the sketch.

She released a quiet gasped and stared at Hyewon who is looking at her awkwardly.

“This…”

“The beach, yesterday.” Hyewon said.

“Wow, thank you.” Minju smiles, treasuring the sketch. “Seriously, it’s beautiful.”

“Thank you.” Clearing , “You should go now.”

Remembering her class, Minju scrunched her nose making the other girl laugh.

“I’ll see you later.” Hyewon says to her, which makes her stop for a moment. , Taeyong you better reply.

“Yeah.” Minju managed to croaked out and quickly walks away.

Hyewon noticed the hesitation of the girl, but she just brushed it off. Shrugging her shoulders, she sat down again and stares at the book Minju left behind. She felt her phone vibrate.

Don’t cut. I need you in this class.

  • Yujin

I won’t cut.

  • Hyewon

Yeah, ‘cause you don’t love me enough for you to cut in my favor.

  • Yujin

Shut up or I’ll ditch you

  • Hyewon

Chuckling, she stood up and grabbed the book. The library almost memorized like the back of her hand, she swiftly walked over to the designated shelf and slid the book on the shelf. Walking out of the library, she smiled at Irene who nodded at her.

I’ll confess later.

 

///

 

Or not.

Hyewon has been sitting in her usual table for a long time now. It’s 30 minutes past 3 already, and Minju is still nowhere in sight. Maybe she got held back.

Sighing, Hyewon walked over to Irene’s desk and greeted the older woman.

“Hi unnie.”

“Hyewon, how are you?” Irene asks smiling at the girl.

“I’m great,” Hyewon then looks at the books, “Can I?” Gesturing for it.

“Being a good volunteer again, I see.” Irene .

“Don’t want you replacing me unnie.” Hyewon answers back, grabbing the book and putting it on the nearest cart.

“Tell me if you need help.”

“Will do!” Hyewon smiles, and walks inside the library.

Somehow, she’s grateful that Minju’s late. She’s still not sure how she will confess to the girl, and this sorting would help her relax. She just needs to get the words out of her and she’s good to go. But what if she rejects me?

Shaking her head, she reminds herself not to think about the negative things. She focused on the positive things which is that she managed to show her admiration for the girl. But of course, I’m still scared of rejection.

“.” She muttered. Looking at the time, it’s almost 4 and Minju’s still not there. Shrugging her shoulders, she just continued her work. Practicing and revising what ever she would say to the girl.

Books after books, practice after practice, shelves after shelves. Hyewon is already finished with the last book, but still no sign of Minju. She then looks at her phone and it was already 5.

Pursing her lips, she pushed the cart and walked over to Irene.

“Unnie, I’m finished.” She announces.

“Thank you, Hyewon-ah.” Irene said smiling at her, “You can put it back now.”

“Uh, unnie,” Hyewon trailed off, contemplating, “Did Minju enter earlier?”

“Minju?” Irene wondered out loud, “No, she didn’t. Are you waiting for her?”

“Yeah.” Hyewon nodded, and breathes out. “I’ll just go now unnie.”

She quickly grabbed her things, and managed to give a smile to Irene who looks at her worriedly.

Hyewon is walking home, all quiet. Ignoring the messages sent to her by her friends, asking her about her confession. She’s confused why Minju didn’t show up.

Well, it’s not like it’s Minju’s fault. Hyewon should not be disappointed that the girl didn’t go to the library. Maybe there’s an emergency. Yeah, that must be it.

Hyewon continues walking when she remembered that she should ask Minju. Should I text her?

Biting her lips, she’s trying to type a message to the girl but she keeps erasing the words that she’s typed. this. I’m just going to call her.

Dialing the girl’s number, she heard it ring which makes her smile. She then noticed that she’s near her apartment.

She looked up from the ground only to halt in her steps.

Blinking, she stared at the distance. Minju with Taeyong. Hyewon is sure with that very white hair.

She looked at her phone still ringing, but it seems like the girl’s phone is in silent mode. Hyewon then watches the two interact. She doesn’t know what she’s feeling at that moment.

But the only thing she could do is to watch. Even though she doesn’t want to.

Did she read all the signs wrong? Or was she just too assuming? Did she hope that it was mutual? Of course, she did. Everything was going great. Spending time with the girl, giving her sketches, sharing things about herself. Everything is great. Or so she thought.

She quickly turned around, walking away. Until she ran and ran, wherever her feet take her. She stopped only to see herself. Library. How ironic.

“Hyewon?”

She turned around to see Irene looking at her, she then tried to smile. Until the older woman walked quickly and hugged her tightly, surprising Hyewon.

“Wha – “

“You’re crying.”

And oh, she didn’t know that. Hyewon touched her cheeks and indeed she was. She tried to laugh, and shakes her head. But she could only say one thing.

“It hurts, unnie.” Hyewon sobs out, “It hurts.”

After all, everything beautiful is ruined eventually.