CHAPTER 3

Blending In

Hyewon was trying to keep it together, she was holding herself. She knows she’s successful, but Yujin was just not backing down. The younger girl has been poking her arm since the beginning of the class. She’s been ignoring the girl since they went out of the library.

But she could not hold it anymore, she turned to look at Yujin who immediately smiled when she successfully got her attention.

“What?” She deadpanned.

“So, she’s your muse?”

Rolling her eyes, Hyewon looked at her notes and started to write, hearing some important things that the instructor is saying.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You sure do.” Yujin teased the older girl.

“I mean, I’ve seen your sketches in between class,” Yujin shrugged, “You do know that you’re a great artist and I have eyes and I could see the resemblance between your sketches and Ms. Library girl, right?”

Well, kill me now. Hyewon groaned quietly making Yujin giggle. The older girl knows she’s been cornered by her friend. Taking a deep breath, she looked at Yujin still smiling waiting for her to speak.

“Don’t tell anyone.”

With this, Yujin beamed and nodded her head enthusiastically.

“This is the first time you have an actual muse!” She exclaimed quietly to the older girl who looked at her weirdly.

“What do you mean?”

Scoffing Yujin looked at Hyewon incredulously.

“Unnie, your muse, I don’t even know if we could call it muse,” Yujin explained, “They’ve all been no offense, weird. A tree? Sakura’s gaming character? The book you’ve just read.”

“Hey! Sakura’s character was really good!”

“That’s not the point!” Yujin said exasperatedly, “This is the first time you have an actu – “

“Ms. Ahn, Ms. Kang, you are free to step out of the room.”

They heard a cold voice calling their attention, smiling awkwardly they muttered some apologies. Hyewon then nudged the younger girl on her rib which was returned by the latter. After all, they are both at fault.

///

“So, you mean, you saw her in the library?”

“Yes.”

“And you started to go to the library just to see her.”

“Uh huh.”

“And you know her library schedule?”

Hyewon groaned and buried her face to her palms. Nodding her head to the question.

“Wow unnie, I’m – “Yujin trailed off. “That’s just some stalker things to do. I didn’t know – “

“Shut up!” Hyewon exclaimed making Yujin laugh, the former embarrassed with her own revelation.

“Okay, okay. But do you know her?”

“I mean, I heard her name is Minju.”

“You heard?” Yujin asked.

“Accidentally, when she was returning some book.”

“No comment.”

Hyewon smacked the younger girl who groaned out of pain.

 

///

 

Hyewon knows she’s screwed, especially with Yujin pestering her about Minju. She knows she’s absolutely, hundred percent screwed. The younger girl has a point. She never had any proper muse, mostly just from the animes she always watches. But once the younger girl pointed out the blatant fact that Minju is her muse, it just took her by surprise.

How could Hyewon be so dense? Of course, it would be obvious that Minju is her muse. She’s been drawing the girl the moment she laid her eyes on her. As soon as she got into her apartment, she whipped out her sketchpad from her bag and scanned through its pages.

Minju. The sketchpad was full of Minju. Her eyes, her nose, lips, her face. Damn, she even drew her ear. Hyewon is screwed. How could she have a popular girl to be her muse? Taking a deep breath, she needs to relax. She knows this would pass by. This is just a phase. She hopes. who am I kidding?

She immediately pulled out her phone and texted Yujin. She may be younger but she is still her best friend and apparently the only one who knows about her library escapades.

Need help. ASAP.

  • Kwangbae

Yujinnie calling…

Hyewon immediately accepted the call putting the device against her ear.

“Unnie, what happened?” She may not see the younger girl, but worry is evident in her voice.

Hesitantly, Hyewon answered. “I have a muse…”

Not hearing an answer from the other side of the phone, Hyewon pulled away the device seeing if she accidentally ended the call, but it was still there. Until, she heard a loud laugh. Good Lord, help me.

“I know that unnie!”

“I don’t know what to do!”

“You don’t have to do anything, seriously.” Yujin said, and Hyewon could imagine the taller girl shrugging her shoulders.

“What do you – “

“I mean, you could just draw her from afar. Have her as inspiration. That’s what muses are for.”

“But I do – “

“Unless, it’s not just a simple muse?”

And oh, good heaven, the older girl could imagine the devilish smirk forming on the younger girl’s face. Hyewon could already see the unending teasing that she would get. Why did she even call Yujin for help? Oh right, cause she’s her best friend. And what does best friends do? Bring out the worst and the best of each other.

“Good night Yujin.” Hyewon quickly ended the call, not waiting for a response but she would not mistake that snicker coming from Yujin.

Groaning out of frustration, Hyewon flopped down on her bed. Grabbing the pillow near her and smashing it against her face, she screamed. Few minutes of screaming, she threw the pillow on her side and stared at the ceiling. Contemplating her life, her life choices. Why she did what she did that day? How could she have a muse, a girl that doesn’t even know her existence nonetheless.

Shaking her head, Hyewon changed her clothes and laid down on her bed. Pulling her blanket up until it covered her head. She knows she’s screwed.

 

///

 

“Are you going to the library?”

“Shut up.” Hyewon hissed at the question.

“So, you are going.” Yujin said smugly. Humming as the two of the walks along the hallway. Hyewon knows the girl is just annoying her, and she’s being successful.

“I’m going with you.”

Wait what?

“You are not.” Hyewon immediately rejected the idea.

“I’m going with you.”

“Or what?”

“What do you think?” She could see the younger girl smirk, daring her to reject her again. How Hyewon wish she could wipe that smirk off from her best friend’s face.

“Just, keep quiet. Please.” Hyewon begged the girl. Yujin nodded and walked happily beside the older girl who is obviously annoyed by her.

 

///

 

The moment Yujin stood up from their table, Hyewon knows that the other two would be suspicious.

“Where are you guys going?” Yena asked, looking at the two who were about to leave.

Hyewon was about to answer when Yujin beat her to it.

“We just need to do something.”

“Where though?” Sakura questioned back, raising her eyebrows at the.

Hyewon and Yujin gulped, they know that they would be persistent. Hyewon could see the younger girl glancing at her, waiting for her to speak. But Hyewon just does not know what to say. This would not have happened if Yujin was not too eager to leave.

“We’re coming with you.” Sakura declared, as she stood up from her seat, grabbing some bread. Yena was protesting until she received a glare from the older girl, effectively shutting her up.

Yujin whipped her head to Hyewon, panicking. The latter could only sigh.

“You really don’t have to Kura-unnie.”

“I know, but I want to.” Sakura shrugged, grabbing her things which was followed by Yena.

Hyewon looked at Yena who was quiet, sulking on not finishing her lunch.

“Just what she said.” Yena nodded her head to Sakura. “I mean, you’ve been ditching us. Might as well join you.”

“Seriously, you don – “

Sakura grabbed the two art students by their arms and pulled them out of the cafeteria, followed by Yena. Hyewon and Yujin glanced at each other, the younger girl sporting a guilty look.

“Lead the way!”

 

///

 

“The library.” Sakura deadpanned.

“Seriously?” Yena raised her eyebrows.

Hyewon ignored the two, while Yujin snickered behind her. The former entering the library, greeting Irene who greeted her back. Surprising both Sakura and Yena. The three of them greeted the librarian politely, who looked at them curiously. This is the first time Hyewon brought someone with her.

Hyewon then went to her usual spot, seeing that Minju is there. She did not forget to get some random history book as a prop, she is planning to just act as if she’s studying. Getting some paper and pen, she opened her book when she felt the three sat beside her.

“The library?!” Sakura whispered, earning a confuse stare from Hyewon.

“What’s the problem about it?” Hyewon asked, and she could see Yujin was about to react when she kicked her leg. The younger girl grimacing in pain. Serves you right.

“You hate it here.” Yena said amused with the thought that Hyewon is actually in the library.

“I don’t hate it here,” Hyewon whispered back. “I hate the reminder that I need to study.”

“Yet you are studying.” Sakura stared at the book she’s reading. “History. Of all subjects.”

“The instructor is no help.” Hyewon shrugged and started to read the book again. She could see that Sakura and Yena are not buying it, while Yujin is smiling innocently all quiet. Not daring to talk.  You er, you save me here.

“I’m not buying that Kang-chan.” Sakura smiled, staring at the girl waiting for an explanation.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You hate studying.” Yena pointed out, rolling her eyes. Looking around the library.

“If ever you’re going to study,” Sakura added. “You’d do it in your apartment.”

“I like the ambience here, alright?”

“Ambience?” Yena snickered, “Or the view?”

And she knows she’s screwed. Hyewon looked at Yena looking at the direction of, of course, Minju’s table. Yujin bit her lips trying to hide her smile, as Sakura tried to follow the duckling’s gaze. The latter smirking, seeing another girl reading at the other table.

“Ambience, that’s what they call it now huh?” Sakura smirked, directing her attention to the blushing girl beside her.

“Please! Let me live.” Hyewon begged her friends, and she could see them holding their laughter.

“Unnie, don’t worry.” Yujin started, and Hyewon knows it’s not going to be good. “We’re going to be at our best behavior.”

Five minutes into their library and Sakura and Yena could not stop pestering her about the girl. Hyewon was ignoring them, she could not just pull out her sketchpad and draw the girl in front of her friends. That would be suicide. But then, Yujin is there, who is not filtering .

Satisfying the curiosity of the other, Yujin is spilling her life story to the two who was absolutely absorbed by it. Hyewon could only wish that she didn’t go to the library today, or did not even tell Yujin anything about Minju. Because apparently, they are being too loud for being in a library.

Hyewon could only groan and quietly shush the three girls who were giggling together, looking at her and glancing at Minju’s table. She looked at Sakura and oh, how Hyewon hoped that she did not see that look, that mischievous look. She is obviously planning something. Something she doesn’t want to know, because it obviously involves her and embarrassment.

Hyewon glared at Yujin who is just smiling sheepishly at her, not even a hint of sorry could be seen on her face. I will kill you.

“You haven’t talk to her yet?”

“Shut up.”

“Not even, a simple hi hello?” Yena asked, giving another wave of embarrassment to the art student.

“Shut. Up.” Hyewon gritted her teeth, burying her face on her arms.

“Damn Kang-chan. I did not know you’re this slow.” Sakura teased the girl further.

Yujin was about to add insult to the burn, when Yena grabbed their attention. Looking at where Yena is discreetly pointing, they could see Minju standing up. Hyewon then looked at the time and realized that it was about time for the girl to go.

Minju went to some shelves, probably returning the book, when Hyewon sees her friends also standing up. She was about to ask them when Sakura pulled her up and dragged her away from their table, and quickly dragged her out the library saying a quick farewell to Irene, only to look at them weirdly.

“What the hell Kura-unnie?!” Hyewon exclaimed, obviously surprised by the sudden act of the older girl.

“I’m helping you.” Sakura replied back.

“Correction,” Yujin butted in. “We’re helping you.”

“You’re just slow Kwangbae.” Yena shrugged, glancing at the library she quickly shuffled away from the door. Sakura then smiled at Yena and Yujin immediately walked behind Sakura.

“Why wha – “

Did she just?

Sakura was holding her arm but in a blink of an eye, the older girl pushed her away. The act surprising her, Hyewon was expecting a hard ground welcoming her but all she could feel was something soft. Oddly, it smelled really great too. She then heard a low grunt, processing what happened. Hyewon immediately scurried away from the person, bowing her head apologizing repeatedly.

“, I’m so sorry!” Hyewon apologized, not bothering to look up. “My friends are…”

Hyewon trailed off when she did not see any of her friends behind her. es. Hyewon reminded herself to beat those three up. She sighed trying to control herself, and looked to the person she was apologizing too, only to be met with an amused smile. What the actu –

“Hey.”

“Uhh,” Hyewon stuttered, “Hey.” She was staring. She knows she’s staring. The girl must think she’s being creepy. Yes of course, she being creepy. But remembering what happened earlier, Hyewon was snapped out from her staring.

“, I’m so sorry!” She started apologizing again.

“My friends were playing and they just, threw me. And apparently, left me here.” Hyewon rambled. She never rambles, but damn, she could not help but to explain what happened. She was continuously rambling when she heard a beautiful sound. Good Lord, is that angel singing?

“It’s okay.”

I can die peacefully. Thank you.

“I’m Minju.”

Surprised, Hyewon stared at the hand being offered. She gulped. I know who you are.

“Excuse me?” Minju was staring at her amusedly.

did I say that out loud?

Shaking her head, Hyewon grabbed the hand to shake it. Feeling electricity running through her body as she did so.

“Kang Hyewon.” Hyewon robotically said, still shaking the hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“Yes, nice to meet you.” Minju replied, “But I think I need my hand.”

Hearing that, Hyewon quickly pulled her hand from the girl apologizing again. How many times should I embarrass myself?

“No, it’s alright.” Minju said, trying to reassure the girl. “But I need to go now, I have classes now.”

Walking away, Minju said her farewell. Leaving a gawking Hyewon waving her hand dumbly.

“God, unnie. You look dumb.”

Hyewon looked beside her to see Yujin looking at where Minju walked off. Snapping out from her daze, she gave the taller girl a hard smack. Earning a loud groan from the latter.

“What was that for?!”

“Serves you right.”