CHAPTER 20

Blending In

Hyewon wakes up groaning from an impossible headache, sitting up she slowly opened her eyes to see an unfamiliar room. Frowning, she looks around to see where she actually is, until she heard the door opening.

“Oh, unnie. You’re awake.”

“Yujin, what are – “ She stops herself from asking as she remembers what happened yesterday. Oh.

She remembered how Irene consoled her after showing up at the library like a complete mess, she didn’t notice that she was crying until the older woman pointed it out.

Irene pulled her quietly to the library, looking around inside and seeing that there are no more students inside, she flipped the sign to ‘Close’. She then quickly walked over to Hyewon who was hugging herself.

“Hey, what happened?” She asks, “If you don’t mind me asking.” Irene backtracks, she is really not good at consoling.

“It’s nothing, unnie.”

Remember what Hyewon asked before she left, Irene somehow had an idea.

“Is this about Minju?” She carefully asked, and she had an answer when she saw the girl flinched. Okay, I just need to be reliable at this time. , where is Wendy when you need her?

Slowly, she walks over to Hyewon who was sitting at the floor, and sat beside the girl.

“What happened?” She asked again, “I got the gist that you like her, what happened now that you’re crying?”

Hyewon looks at the older woman beside her, the curious and worried look that Irene is giving her somehow helps her to open up.

“I just, saw her.” Hyewon replied quietly.

“Then?”

“With a guy. Taeyong.” Hyewon said, Irene was about to ask who that is when Hyewon beat her to it.

“Her suitor.” The younger girl rolled her eyes.

“Oh.”

Hyewon chuckles, “Right, oh.”

“I was planning to confess to her today.”

Well, damn. Irene gulped; she knows that must have hurt a whole lot. Without thinking, she wrapped her arms around the girl’s shoulder who started to cry again.

“I thought, it was mutual, you know?” Hyewon cried, “Like, we always hang out and talk. And we have these moments that I can’t ing explain.”

Irene just listens to the girl, what Hyewon needs right now is someone to listen.

“Then I thought she really rejected Taeyong, and that – I’m sorry language. Then I just suddenly see them walking together when she was supposed to be here in the library.”

“Maybe I was just too assuming, and reading the signs wrong.” Hyewon said, leaning her head on Irene’s shoulder.

Irene cleared , thinking of what to say.

“I don’t know a Taeyong.” She bluntly said.

Hyewon chuckles, “You at this unnie.”

“Shut up, I’m trying, alright?” Irene pinched the girl lightly.

“As I was saying, I don’t know a Taeyong,” She continued, “But I think, the feeling is mutual between you and Minju.”

“Irene-unnie, thank you but I think – “

“Listen to me, I know when someone likes someone. And I’m pretty sure she likes you too.” Irene cuts her off.

Hyewon just stares at Irene, “I hope so.”

Rolling her eyes, Irene just hugged the girl. “You know what, I at this. So just cry your heart out.”

After a good amount of crying, Irene asked the girl if she needs a ride to go home.

“Right, can you drive me to Yujin’s house?” Hyewon asked, sniffing.

“I don’t know who that is, but alright.”

Then she arrived at the younger girl’s house, asking for alcohol.

“Why did you let me drink?” Hyewon groans, laying down again with the headache.

“You insisted,” Yujin rolled her eyes, “Here, drink this. And use my clothes, Kura-unnie and Yena—unnie will be here in a few.”

“Why are they – “

“After the show you pulled, of course we’re going to be worried.” Yujin said staring at the older girl. Hyewon just sighed. A quiet ‘okay’ was the only thing she said, Yujin then went out to prepare something for the older girl.

 

//

 

Going out of the bathroom after taking a shower, Hyewon was welcomed by the stare of her three friends. Obviously waiting for her to finish, she just rolled her eyes and went inside Yujin’s room to get her phone.

“Stop looking at me like that.” She said, throwing herself at the couch.

“We’re worried unnie.” Yujin stated and pouted, “You never drank alcohol before.”

“Right, and remind me to never drink again.” Hyewon groaned, “This feeling .”

“So, the confession did not go well?” Sakura asked, not bothering to beat around the bush.

“Did she reject you?”

Hyewon let out a sarcastic laugh, “No and no.”

Seeing the questioning look from her friends, she just sighed. “There’s no confession that happened.”

Shaking her head, Hyewon looks at the three and just smiled. But she knows that her smile doesn’t even reached her eyes, she looks pathetic.

Then she just explained what happened, from the moment she left them during lunch, to how she was waiting for Minju at library. Until the latter didn’t show up, and was surprised to see the girl walking with Taeyong.

Of course, Hyewon cried again. But she didn’t mind, not when she’s with the them. The other girls didn’t say anything, they just went near her and hugged her. Until Yena broke the silence.

“So, do you want to watch a movie?”

Laughing at her, Hyewon nodded. “Movie sounds perfect.”

The three beamed at her, quickly walking around the apartment.

“I’ll look for a movie.” Yena shouts.

“I’ll buy cake!” Yujin said form her room, getting her purse.

“I’ll buy whatever snacks there is.” Sakura said, waiting at the door for Yujin.

Hyewon just smiled at them, “I’ll wait for you guys.”

 

///

 

Yujin and Sakura walks out of the former’s apartment and looked at each other.

“What should we do?” Yujin asks worriedly, glancing at her apartment door.

The older girl just sighed, not really sure too, “We just have to distract her, she needs us.”

“Unnie, I was really surprised when Irene-unnie – the librarian went to my apartment with Hyewon-unnie crying last night.”

Yujin states, remembering the arrival of the older girl at her apartment with swollen eyes and looks completely broken.

“Imagine our surprise when we received your text that Kang-chan is drinking.” Sakura sighed, rubbing her face.

“I’ll go to the store and you go buy a cake. Alright?” Sakura said and Yujin nodded. Parting ways at an intersection, the younger girl already knows the café that she would buy cake with and it would be a 5-minute walk. Kang Hyewon, you idiot.

Arriving at the café, Yujin was greeted by a manageable line at the counter. Looking at the display, she hopes no one would buy the red velvet cake. She’s humming to the song playing at the café when she felt her phone vibrate.

Yena calling…

“Why are you calling?” Yujin asked as she answers the call.

“Kwangbae asked if you could buy an ice cream.” Yena answered.

“Kura-unnie is at the store.”

“Well, she’s crying too and I think we need tissue.”

“Hyewon-unnie is crying? Again?” Yujin said rather loudly, “Alright, I’ll just buy this cake and text Kura-unnie.”

“Well no rejection goes well Yujinnie.” Yena said softly on the other line.

“She was not even rejected, she just saw Minju-unnie with that Taeyong guy or whatever.” Yujin rolled her eyes.

“I gotta go, I’m next in line.” Yujin ended the call and smiled slightly at the cashier. Ordering her cake, she quickly sent a text to the Japanese girl at the store. Thankfully, the cake just needs to be put in a box which makes her errand much easier.

She quickly went out of the café and walked to her apartment, cake in her hand. Not noticing the smaller girl behind her who heard the conversation she just had. Kim Minju, you dimwit.

 

//

 

When Chaewon entered the café, the taller girl in front of her seems familiar but she just ignored it. Wanting to order a milktea, until she saw the girl answer the call.

She didn’t intend to eavesdrop on the call, but she was just too close to the girl that she could not help but to hear it. Hyewon? Crying?

Chaewon furrowed her eyebrows, she now remembers that this tall girl is the one who is always with Kang Hyewon. Why is she –

Her thoughts were cut off when she heard what the girl said. Kim Minju did what?!?

With wide eyes, Chaewon followed the taller girl with her eyes as the latter goes out of the café. She then turned to look at the cashier who is waiting for her. Not bothering to order, she went out of the café and quickly dialed her best friend’s number.

“Kim Minju, where are you?” She asked the girl.

“At my apartment, why – “

“I’m going there, right now.” Chaewon hissed, “And you better explain everything.”

Chaewon is muttering to herself and as she arrived at her best friend’s apartment, she was greeted by a confused look for Minju. Chaewon just brushed past the girl.

“Chaewon, why are – “

“You went out with Taeyong yesterday?” Chaewon asked harshly.

Minju, surprised with the sudden question nodded her head. “Yeah, I already rejected him.”

“But you still went out?” Chaewon clarified.

“Yeah, but I clarified that it was just a simple hang out, alright? He said that it was alright, he won’t force himself anymore.” Minju explained and frowned.

“How did you know?”

Chaewon sighed exasperatedly and glared at the girl, “The tall girl with Hyewon, you know her?”

“Yujin?” Minju asks, “Why?”

“Saw her in a café, heard her conversation.” Chaewon answered.

“And that explains what?”

Rolling her eyes, Chaewon sassily said, “I just heard that Hyewon is crying. And I quote from her conversation ‘She was not even rejected, she just saw Minju-unnie with that Taeyong guy or whatever’.”

Hearing no reply, “I told you don’t do stupid things.” Chaewon lazily glared at the girl who is sporting a shocked look.

 

///

 

“She’s not in her apartment.” Minju said at the girl beside her.

“I can see that.” Chaewon deadpanned.

The two of them standing in front of Hyewon’s apartment door knocking for the last five minutes, but there was never an answer.

Returning to her own apartment, Minju started to explain what exactly happened that day to Chaewon who listened carefully.

 

Minju tried contacting Taeyong in between classes but the guy is not even replying to her messages. After her last class, she saw him standing outside her room. Approaching the guy, Minju quickly said.

“Can we cancel it?” Minju asked, “I’m sorry, I was just pressured. I’m not really into you. I won’t ever be. I’ve been trying to tell you that since from the beginning.”

Taeyong shocked nodded his head, “Can we still hangout though?”

“Huh?”

“Like hangout? As friends?”

Minju contemplates as she looked at the time, it was already 3PM. But seeing Taeyong’s look she just decided to go with it.

“Alright, but I need to go by 5.”

“Sure.” The guy beamed.

The hangout was so-so in Minju’s opinion, it was still obvious that Taeyong is still trying to woo her. But after how many failed attempts he just decided to stop and started talking about neutral subjects.

Minju appreciated this, as they walk to her apartment building. The girl could not help but to feel that she forgot to do something, until Taeyong called her.

“Minju, can I have a hug?” Taeyong asked quietly.

“What?” Minju asked dumbly.

“Just a simple hug?”

Minju nodded rather hesitantly, and guy approached her wrapping his arms around her.

Minju could not help but to compare him with Hyewon. How the latter always makes her feel safe just with her mere presence, how nonsense things become sensible when they talk, how it would not be boring if she was with Hyewon.

Then it clicked, Hyewon. .

Minju quickly pulled out from the hug and said her farewell. Walking inside her apartment, she pulled out her phone. She then saw that the art student called her earlier. , Minju.

She tried calling the girl again, but the latter was not answering. Shaking her head, she just decided to visit the girl tomorrow. Thinking that Hyewon is probably busy with the upcoming exhibit.

 

“You agreed to hang out with him?” Chaewon asked again.

“Yeah, just hangout.” Minju said and looks at the girl beside her who is looking unsure, “Why?”

“I’m not sure Minju, it’s just weird.” Chaewon bits her lips, “Taeyong would not suddenly accept your rejection just like that.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m just overthinking,” Chaewon shakes her head, “But I don’t really feel good about that hangout.”

 

//

 

Hearing the arrival of the two, Hyewon just ignored them and continued watching the movie that Yena put in. I Origins.

Hyewon was hooked in the plot, though of course it is all fictional. But maybe it might really happen in the real world. What am I even thinking?

She then looked beside her as she felt the couch dipped, and saw Yujin with a cake. This caused her to light up.

“Is that a red velvet?” Hyewon said in her hoarse voice.

“Yeah, you owe me this one.” The younger girl joked.

“I’ll kiss you don’t worry.”

“Kwangbae, you better share!” Yena shouts at the girl who is at the kitchen helping Sakura put some chips in a bowl.

“You better get your in here then!”

“Right, we’ll just eat your favorite ice cream!” Sakura shouts back.

A loud gasp was released, “You would never!” Hyewon exclaimed.

“Watch us.” Sakura poked her head and smirked at the girl.

“Alright! You win!” Hyewon pouted, “Why am I being bullied here, you should take care of me.” She whined.

Yujin just patted her head, “You do know that this is our way of taking care of you, right?”

This made the older girl laugh, “Shut up.”

And the other two emerged from the kitchen with bowls of different snack. Both of them decided to sit at the ground near the couch.

“So, what are we watching?” Sakura asked and looked at the television, “Oh, that. The girl would die there.” She deadpanned.

“What the Sakura?!” The other three shouted at the Japanese girl who was laughing her off.

“Oh, sorry not sorry.”

 

///

 

It was Sunday in the afternoon when Hyewon woke up from the couch. It seems like the four of them fell asleep while watching their 5th movie that night. What time did we even sleep?

Not bothering to look at her phone, she stood up and saw the other three girls still sleeping. Laughing at the sight, she washed her face in the bathroom. As she looked at the mirror, she could not help but to feel sorry for herself.

, I look like a mess. Seeing herself, she decided to take a long and relaxing shower. Wanting to forget the things that happened even just for a moment.

Yujin woke up from a phone that keeps on ringing, kicking the girls at the ground she sleepily ordered.

“Answer your damn phone, unnie.”

Yena pushed her foot, “That’s not mine.”

Sakura groaned as the phone keeps ringing and quickly grabbed it not bothering to look whose phone is it.

“Who the is this?” She sleepily asked and cussed under her breath.

“Hyewon?”

“No this is no – “ Opening her eyes, she looked at the phone and the caller only to see Minju’s contact.

Sakura quickly shakes the other two to wake up and showed the phone to them, they quickly sat up and widened their eyes. Panicking, they looked around to see where Hyewon is only to hear the shower running.

“Hello?”

Yujin mouths to the other two to go out and continue the call, while she cleans up the place. The older girls followed her order and went out.

Clearing Sakura talked, “No this is not Hyewon. This is Sakura.”

“Oh, Sakura-ssi. Uhh, can I speak with Hyewon?”

Sakura looked at Yena who quickly shook her head, the Japanese widened her eyes asking why and the girl just shrugged her shoulders.

“Oh, she’s not here.” She deadpanned.

“Oh, can you tell her to call me as soon as possible?”

Yena rolled her eyes and grabbed the phone from the older girl, “Minju-ssi, I don’t think it’s a great time. Our friend is having some serious problems, so she’ll talk when she’s ready. Okay?”

Not waiting for a reply, the girl just ended the call.

“Was that Minju?”

Sakura and Yena whipped her head and saw Hyewon outside looking at them blankly, with Yujin behind her biting her lips.

“Was that Minju?” She repeated.

Not knowing what to answer, the two just nodded their heads.

Walking closely to the two she grabbed her phone from Yena’s hand.

“Kwangbae so – “

“Don’t.” Hyewon cuts her off, “It’s alright, I don’t think I could, you know.” She mustered up a small smile and shrugged her shoulders.

“Uh, do you want to play some game?”

Hyewon thinks about it and nodded her head, entering the apartment. The three girls outside let out a breath. Somehow, a broken Hyewon is a scary and unpredictable Hyewon.

 

//

 

Minju sighed when the call ended. Rubbing her face, she’s not sure what to think about the situation right now. Hyewon avoiding her after seeing her with Taeyong, it’s just making her confuse.

Why would Hyewon avoid her? She then did a brainstorm, why would Hyewon cry, avoid her, and this?

Not noticing she was grabbing her wrist she felt the bracelet that was given to her by Hyewon. She unclasped it and looked at, missing the presence of Hyewon more.

Caressing it, she felt an engraving at the back of the plate. She flipped it to see what was written.

Ab imo pectore

Oh, Latin. Minju thought, she smiles as she knows the meaning of the phrase. But she doubts that Hyewon noticed it, since the writings are really subtle.

Shaking her head, she was about to stand up when her phone chimed.

I think she’s going to confess to you that day.

  • Chaewon

“What?” Minju asks out loud.

I mean, there’s no other explanation. That’s the only plausible thing that could happen. Yujin also said ‘she was not rejected.’ DUH.

  • Chaewon

And now, thinking about it. The afternoon that Friday, Hyewon seems excited and adamant on meeting her after classes. The drawing that she gave out of nowhere. The meaningful gazed.

“Holy .” Minju muttered. “, , .”

Okay, Minju. Relax. She thought to herself. All she needs to do was to explain everything to Hyewon, and all will be well.

 

///

 

Walking to her campus, Minju is hoping to see Hyewon today and explain everything. As she enters the campus, she felt someone dragging her only to see Chaewon.

“Hey, what ar – “

“Have you seen the exhibit?”

“No.”

“You have to see it.”

Confused, Minju just lets herself be dragged entering the main hall where there are various pieces hanging. She looks around hoping to appreciate each one of it, when her best friend pulled her. She was about to protest when Chaewon suddenly pushed her to look at one painting.

Minju stares at it. Black and white with a silhouette of a girl. A hint of smile. Eyes being somehow covered with her hair.

Suddenly, her heart started to beat faster. She doesn’t know but the girl feels so familiar. Really familiar. She then looked at the artist name when she was only greeted by the title and description.

TITLE:  Ab imo pectore

DESCRIPTION: In life, there would always be darkness until a certain event would give light to your surroundings.

Then Minju remembers Hyewon’s explanation if she would ever paint her, the bracelet. Everything. Of course, the art student knows the meaning of the Latin phrase. She painted me.

“Have you heard the rumors?” Chaewon whispered.

“What – “

“That you and Taeyong had gone on a date last Friday, and is now in a relationship.”

“What?!”