CHAPTER 24

Blending In

Hyewon wakes up around 7 or past half 7 in the morning, staring up the ceiling finding her bearings. She contemplates if she should go or not to her 3-hr dreadful History class. Just by thinking of it, Hyewon already wants to bail out. I’m so not up for this class.

With that thought, she remembers that Minju is expecting her to walk with her to the university. Which is weird, since the girl’s class – from what she could remember, would not start until the afternoon. With the sudden invading thought, Taeyong’s unbearable face suddenly entered her mind. Maybe they’ll meet.

Disgusting. Hyewon shudders.

Standing up from her bed, she quickly fixed it and prepared herself – a cold shower to get her senses and mind prepared for the day. She decided to tie her hair up in a bun since her hair decided to be a that day. Pulling an oversized hoodie and her glasses, Hyewon is good to go.

And as if on cue, she received a message from Minju.

Already at the lobby. Good morning!

  • Minju

Grabbing her things, Hyewon proceeded to go the lobby and just like what Minju said, she is already there waiting for her. She then smiles at Minju as soon as she notices her presence, hoping that she’s prepared not to spread any awkward virus between them.

“Good morning.” Hyewon greeted.

“You tied your hair up.” Minju blinks at her.

“Yeah, I have a bad hair day.” Hyewon chuckles, she then gestures for them to start walking to their university with Minju following suit.

“So, where will you stay?” Hyewon decided to start the conversation.

“I don’t really know, maybe at the library?”

“You’ll stay there until your first class?”

“Any suggestions where I could stay?”

“I’d invite you to seat-in but it would be really boring.” Hyewon wondered out loud, “I’m even planning to just skip this class when I woke up earlier.” She chuckled.

Seriously, Hyewon thought her awkward and brokenhearted self is in hibernation mode for the fact that she can hold and start a conversation with the girl she is practically in love with.

“I wouldn’t know if I don’t sit in.” Minju grinned at her, considering the idea.

“What?”

“I want to sit in.” Minju declares.

Hyewon widened her eyes, as she did not expect for the girl to accept her suggestion. “It would be really boring! Yujin always sleep at that class!”

“Let’s be bored together then.” Minju says softly, shrugging her shoulders.

Hyewon kept shut, feeling her heart beating erratically with the statement. Stop! She just means that as friends.

She’s flirting with you, you . Just like last night, some weird voice is taking over her head.

“What do you say,” Minju smiles, looking at the girl walking beside. “Can I seat-in?”

Hyewon let out a small smile, “Sure, up to you.”

Arriving at their university, the two of them walks together to Hyewon’s first class. Minju heard her phone chime and looks at it only to see Yena messaging her.

Taeyong is looking for you. Heard from some students.

  •  Yena

Minju halted her steps at that, making Hyewon turn to her.

“Any problem?”

“No, yes.” Minju stuttered, “I mean, wait let me just reply to this.” Hyewon nodded, suddenly worried for the girl who seems stressed out all of the sudden. She is expecting to see and make things clear with the boy, but she’s not expecting for Taeyong to look for her in the morning.

Where is he?

  • Minju

He went to your department earlier, but I don’t know now.

  • Yena

“.” Minju muttered and Hyewon heard it making the latter approach her. Hyewon put her hand over Minju’s shoulder, “You alright?”

“No, Hyewo – “

“Minju!”

Both of them turned around only to see Taeyong approaching them. Hyewon quickly pulled away her hand from the girl and stepped back as soon as he saw the guy. Minju flinched at his presence, and glanced at Hyewon.

She did not miss the sudden change of Hyewon’s face, but the girl is quick to put on a blank and neutral face. Clenching her jaw, Minju glared at the guy who seems so happy after the stunt he pulled.

“I need to go.” Hyewon mumbled, “Class, take care.” She nodded to Minju’s general direction not looking her in the eyes. Minju stares at the girl, pleading her to just stay.

Seeing Hyewon walk away, Minju glared at Taeyong. “What do you want?”

Taeyong chuckles, completely oblivious. “Well, you see the rumors about us being in a relationship.”

“Please don’t start. What the are you even thinking when you spread that?” Minju exclaimed, not taking the bull anymore.

“You know that I’ve rejected you a million times!” She started ranting, “That hang out? That was out of pity, and maybe I thought we could be friends. But of course, you’re a piece of that we couldn’t even be friends.”

Taeyong kept mum, looking around and thankful that there are no students around in their area. He then quickly grabbed Minju’s arm walking to a completely secluded space.

“Listen here,” Taeyong hissed, but Minju matched it with her glare not even afraid. “You and I are in a relationship and that wouldn’t change a thing.”

“So, stop this drama and just go with it.” He smirked, kissing Minju’s cheeks. “Gotta go babe. See you later.”

Minju breathed out, harshly wiping her cheeks. She then quickly fished out her phone to text the people she needs to talk to.

Minju breathed out, harshly wiping her cheeks. She then quickly fished out her phone to text the people she needs to talk to.

Great, my time with Hyewon is now ruined AGAIN because of him. Minju groaned and walked away, busy typing harshly on her phone.

 

//

 

Hyewon arrived at their room with Yujin already sitting on her chair, busy with her phone. Noticing the frown etched on the younger girl’s face she asked the girl.

“You good?”

Yujin quickly whipped her phone away from Hyewon and looked at her. “Yeah, I’m cool. How about you?”

“Fine.” Hyewon answered shortly.

“How was dinner?”

Remembering the eventful and embarrassing dinner, “It was good.”

“You ate properly?”

“I ate more than I can manage.” Hyewon rolled her eyes.

Yujin chuckled, “That’s great, will you have lunch with us?”

“Maybe, or I’ll just go to the library again or my apartment.”

Yujin nodded quietly, pulling out her phone typing something. Hyewon just ignored the girl, seeing the instructor entering the room. She just rolled her eyes and decided to just sleep in the class.

“Wake me up when this class ends.”

Yujin surprised at the sudden comment, “That’s your job.”

“I’m tired, not in the mood to listen.”

“Did something happen?”

“Life happened.” Hyewon mumbled and drifted off to sleep.

Yujin quickly typed a message on her phone, pocketing it once she heard the instructor start discussing whatever the lesson is.

She’s sleeping in class. SLEEPING. WE BETTER GET MOVING THIS PLAN OR WHAT.

  •  Yujin

/

 

Waiting for her class should not be this stressful, Minju thought she could have a good time to talk with Hyewon but of course, Taeyong would always ruin it. Reading Yujin’s text about Hyewon sleeping in class, Minju could only wish that Chaewon is already on her way.

As if on cue, Chaewon sat beside her in an empty classroom – breathless from all the rush and panic in Minju’s text.

“What happened?” She worriedly asked.

“Taeyong happened.” Minju sighed, and started to tell everything from the start which means from her and Hyewon’s dinner last night – though she left out the awkward thing about her towel, to how Taeyong suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

As soon as she finished her story, Sakura and Yena burst into the room taking a seat in front of the two.

Chaewon looked at the two weirdly, “Don’t you guys have classes?”

“Cutting.” Sakura deadpanned, “Look at what Yujin sent us.”

A picture of a very asleep Hyewon greeted the two of them.

“And that explains?” Chaewon trailed off.

“Kwangbae never sleeps in class!” Yena exclaimed, “No matter how boring the class is, she would never sleep.”

“Heck, even if the class is about Calculus she’d still listen.” Sakura added.

“But she’s an Art student.” Chaewon stated.

Sakura and Yena looked at her, “Exactly.”

“So, whatever is your plan, we need to get this going because Kang-chan is really,” Sakura thought hard for a word, “Yena, what’s the word?”

“Hopeless?”

“Whatever, so yeah. We cut classes for this plan, better make it worth it.” Sakura said and stared at Minju who is looking at the picture.

“I don’t know what to do.”

“Don’t worry, leave it to me.”

“What?” The three asked Chaewon who smirked.

“Taeyong wants attention, then we’ll give it to him.”

 

/

 

Yujin is restless from her seat, constantly glancing up from her phone to the sleeping girl beside her then quickly typing and reading the flood of messages coming from this new group chat – which was created 5 minutes ago, and the messages are overwhelming.

Useless Peeps

Chae: hi we need to get this plan working

JapGirl: hi yujin we @ empty room

Duckgirl: were cutting

Minjuri: is hyewon still asleep?

Yujinnie: hate u kura and yena unnie

Yujinnie: and yes minju-unnie, she’s still asleep

Chae: so basically, here’s the plan

Chae: minju’s going to reject taeyong in the cafeteria

JapGirl: don’t u guys hav class that tym?

Yujinnie: y r u asking dat here if u guys r together?

Duckgirl: we dont want to leave ur lonely out

Yujinnie: eff u

Minjuri: ms kang cancelled cos of the exhibit we just need to email her our essay

 So, Yujin keeps her eyes on her phone under her desk while still trying to listen to their instructor and be aware of Hyewon if ever she wakes up. She keeps reading the ridiculous plan that the four thought of together. Frowning, Yujin is not sure how this would pull up. Are they insane?

Yujinnie: so ur telling me to cut class and leave hyewon alone?

JapGirl: YES

Yujinnie: unnie is not even sure if she’d go to the cafeteria today

Duckgirl: we’ll make her go, one way or another

Chae: so, u guys good w da plan?

JapGirl: yeah

Duckgirl: hell yes

Minjuri: I guess so

Yujinnie: wat if something goes wrong?????????

A few minutes passed and no one replied, Yujin thought that maybe they are talking to each other until she felt her phone vibrate.

Chae: lets just hope not

JapGirl: cos we don’t have a plan B

Groaning, Yujin typed a reply and quickly pocketed her phone.

Yujinnie: amazing (plz feel the sarcasm) , ill be der in an hr

The class has been going for an hour now, and Yujin needs to wait for another hour to pass before she could go to where the others are. Looking at the still sleeping Hyewon, she just hopes the older girl would not get mad when she doesn’t wake her up.

 

//

 

Stirring from her slumber, Hyewon blinks her eyes to adjust – she could still hear her instructor talking indicating the class is not yet done. Frowning, she looks at the girl beside her only to be greeted by an empty seat.

She then noticed a note sticking beside her bag and read it.

Sorry I couldn’t wake u up. Im not feeling well, I need to go to d clinic for. I’ll ring ur phone when the class ends tho.

  • Ur lovely Yujinnie

Worried, Hyewon pulled out her phone to send a quick message to the younger girl.

Saw your note. Are you alright? Do you need me to go there?

  • Hyewon

I’m going to be, don’t worry unnie. See you in the cafeteria?

  • Yujin

Thinking what to reply, Hyewon slowly typed her own.

I’m thinking to stop by the library first, but sure I’ll see you after I go there.

  • Hyewon

Not receiving a reply after that, Hyewon put her phone down and dozed off. A few minutes to go before the class ends, she could manage. She just hopes Yujin is alright.

Hearing the bell, Hyewon quickly gathered her belongings and went out of the room, going straight to the direction of the library. She sent a text to her friends to update them.

To: Sakura, Yena, Yujin

I’ll stop by the library first, see you at the cafeteria.

  • Hyewon

Hyewon just wants to go out of the university and stay at her apartment for the whole day, but hearing that Yujin went to the clinic, she just needs to see the younger girl. But first, she needs to get her head space and calm herself. Which is how she found herself at the library.

Entering, she smiled at Irene who is looking at her with some weird – nervousness? Then something flash in her eyes, as if the librarian knows something.

“Hey, unnie.” Hyewon greeted.

“What are you doing here?” Irene asked the girl.

“Am I not allowed here anymore?” She joked.

“Just asking, want to sort books?” Irene suggested, and not waiting for a reply she pulled out a cart and started going inside the main library. Hyewon just chuckled and put down her things beside the desk, and followed the older woman.

“So, anything happened?” Irene asked the younger girl.

“Nothing much.” Hyewon hummed out, “Yujin went to the clinic though. I’m worried for her.”

“Oh, I hope she’s okay.”

Hyewon looks at the librarian weirdly, somehow her tone seems a little bit playful or what. But maybe that was just her imagination.

“Did anything happen with Minju?”

“What?” Hyewon was surprised from the sudden topic.

“She went here yesterday remember,” Irene clarifies, “What happened after that?”

“Oh, she just asked me for dinner.” Hyewon mumbled, blushing at the memories.

Of course, Irene noticed it. “So, something did happen.” She teased.

“It was embarrassing, unnie.” Hyewon whined grabbing two books and quickly walking away.

Irene chuckles and noticed the books at the cart are almost done. She fished out her phone and sent a quick text to someone.

“Hyewon, can you go to the cafeteria with me?” Irene asked, “I haven’t had my lunch yet.”

The art student looked at the librarian and nodded, “Yeah sure, I’m going there anyways.”

Irene nodded and let the younger girl get the three books and put it in their respective shelves, waiting for her. The both of them walked over to the older woman’s desk grabbing her purse and Hyewon grabs her belongings.

“It’s weird for you to go out in lunch time.” Hyewon points out.

Irene chuckles nervously, but Hyewon of course did not notice it. She’s just weirded out by the sudden request of the librarian. Walking out of the library, the hallways seems deserted – perhaps because it is lunch time which is understandable.

Turning a corner, Hyewon noticed Irene frowning and seeming to look at her phone from time to time.

“Everything alright unnie?”

“Yeah, just hungry.”

Hyewon nodded and suddenly remembered to text Yujin.

Hey, on my way there. I’m with Irene-unnie though.

  • Hyewon

What she was not expecting was a really weird reply from the younger girl.

Don’t! Don’t go here!

  • Yujin

“What?” Hyewon asked out loud, ignoring the look Irene is giving her.

What do you mean? We’re already near.

  • Hyewon

Hyewon was then flooded by messages from Sakura, Yena, and Yujin. She was completely weird out by the three, the both of them were already near the cafeteria – she just decided to ignore it. Until Irene pulled her.

“I think let’s just go eat at the café outside.” Irene suggested suddenly, but Hyewon just frowned.

“But I need to go see my friends.” She stated.

Hyewon is not expecting for the older woman to suddenly changed her mind, then message after message from her phone. She was now completely bewildered by the events; with the sudden urgency she quickened her steps to go to their destination – with Irene trailing behind her.

Is everything alright with them?  Hyewon worriedly thought.

Turning the last corner and entering the cafeteria, she did not expect anything – especially not a scene where Minju and Taeyong at the center of attention with other guys surrounding the two.

All eyes went on her which made her suddenly feel conscious, thankful that Irene is behind her and held her arm.

Hyewon then noticed her friends and Minju’s best friend behind Minju, looking at her worriedly. Yujin quickly shaking her head as if to say that Hyewon should go. Hyewon quickly diverted her gaze to look at Minju – only to notice that the girl seems stressed and pressured. Hyewon suddenly felt worried about the girl, after seeing the smirk at Taeyong’s face, she felt that something is wrong.

“Wha – “

“You are not my type!” Minju shouts in the middle of the cafeteria, pushing Taeyong away. All the students were stunned, including Hyewon.

“You are also not my type.” She said pointing to one guy beside Taeyong.

Then pointing to another, “You’re too noisy.”

Then to another, “You’re to self-pretentious, you’re better off with Taeyong.”

Then suddenly, Minju points at Hyewon. “You.”

Confused, Hyewon stepped back, “Me?”

“You.” Minju repeated still staring at her, “I’d date you.”

Without missing a beat, Minju walked towards the said girl ignoring all the murmurs around them. Hyewon cannot comprehend what is happening around them, she just arrived and what the hell did Minju say?

Until she felt someone kissing her. With wide eyes, Hyewon looked at Minju who is suddenly in front of her. Kissing in the middle of the cafeteria, in front of the whole student population. Whistles were heard, murmurs getting louder.

Hyewon was just frozen in her place, then Minju pulled back. The art student could only blink at the girl.

“What is – “

“I’d date you.” Minju whispers, “I like you, Kang Hyewon.”

Hyewon started to malfunction after that, everything is just happening so fast, she could not keep up. What happened prior to her arriving at the cafeteria? Why the hell did Minju kiss her? What happened to her and Taeyong? Why do her friends seem to know something?

“What the – “ Everything is just swirling around her.

Then everything went black.

Hyewon fainted.

 

///

 

Seeing Hyewon suddenly blacking out, Sakura, Yujin, and Yena suddenly ran towards the girl. Hyewon’s body leaning to Minju’s, as Irene tried to help the girl.

“Holy !” Yujin exclaimed.

“Kwangbae!” Yena called out.

“She’s such a useless lesbian!” Sakura whined.

Chaewon followed the three, looking at what happened to the fainted girl. She then turned to look at her best friend, she smiled and patted Minju’s shoulder.

“Congratulations,” She laughed, “You just made your crush sweep off of her feet.”

Minju blushed and muttered a weak ‘shut up’.

Then as if remembering something, Chaewon turned around to see Taeyong standing a few feet away from them. Without second thoughts, Chaewon approached the guy.

A loud slap was heard.

“That’s for threatening my best friend you piece of !” Gasps were heard, Taeyong could only stand there surprised with the sudden burning of his cheeks. Walking away from the guy, Chaewon returned to her friends.

Until they heard a groan, only to see Yena standing over Taeyong’s crouching figure.

As she approached her friends, she smiled.

“What was that for?” Yujin asked.

“Just felt like doing it.” Yena shrugged.

“I think we should get her to the clinic.” Irene announced at the younger girls, who quickly agreed to her suggestion. The three friends quickly carried Hyewon’s body.

“Damn, how can she eat so much food and weigh this light?” Yujin wonders.

“Think about that later.” Sakura grunted.

Irene then walked beside the other two girls walking behind the four friends, smiling at them.

“Quite a show there Minju.” Irene teased.

“We didn’t have plan B.” Minju pouted.

“Don’t worry,” Irene chuckles, “I think it went better than expected.”